What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welp, already have been out to check on our very pregnant Heifer. This is our very first one. Pretty nervous. The mud here in NE Ohio is terrible!! She's due February 1st. "Baby" Is a Jersey x Angus bred to a wagyu. My hubby just likes to be extra, haha. Hubby and I are going to help a fellow homesteader with their cow, then heading to TS to pick up some more tubing so we can tap maple trees today or tomorrow. Little two got on the bus at 6:40am and our two teenagers whom we home school are working on a few things before heading to help my parents with some work. hmmm.... what to make for dinner???

https://monsterilluminessence.com/s...3-4-amp-charging-ports-simultaneous-charging/
This is the one I got. It'll do music from Spotify or YouTube music or whatever on your phone, and it'll do wireless phone calls too. I haven't used it for a call yet, but it works well for music.
Thank you. I looked at that but settled on a different one from amazon with many good reviews. I don't do the alexa or google stuff and with my hearing (and noe hearing aid) I don't need the bass boost, I have to turn the treble up to hear most things. But thanks again for mentioning it, I never knew they existed. I had one of the hard wired ones years ago that plugged into the antenna connection but when they stopped putting the 3.5mm speaker plug on the phones I couldn't use that anymore.

Made some hoodies for my boss last night, I have them boxed up to take to work this morning. I will use that profit to buy some shirts and some hats to practice with. I am anxious to try out my new hat heat press.
Chiropractor after work today. I am actually looking forward to it for the first time in a while, I had a deep tissue massage on Saturday and the non-stop nagging pain in my hips and lower back is mostly gone and I am sleeping better. Xrays last week showed all the wrong curves in my back were at least 25% improved and a couple were almost completely gone. The spine is getting better but the muscles are not used to their new, correct position and have been nagging about the changes. I will definitely get another massage in 2 or 3 weeks.
Tonight I will make room in the garage to work on the GF's car. Brakes, new strut to hold up the hood, and a small doo-dad tubing thingy that needs to be replaced on the engine for emissions and to stop the annoying check engine light.
Have a great day, Stay Safe.

The last few days I’ve been crocheting baby things. New grandson coming in February and Hubby and I will be going to Illinois for a week to help and meet the new baby. But it’s very nice out so I may go out and fill bird feeders and just sit in the sun. But the dog hair in the floors are really taunting me. I must do something about it.

Crushing rock today for road building materials and just trashing my new truck in the mud. I should have taken a picture of the entire truck but I think you can imagine what it looks like by the tire and wheel photo.

View attachment 123670

Pick up any more loons lately? 😂

Get a video?

How accurate can the staking be from a helicopter?

Ben
Good question. Im guessing they must be using GPS. They seem to be flying in a grid. Mining claims are generally 20 acres in size, so about every quarter mile or so. Since they aren't laying out all 4 corners they must be just dropping the Discovery post. In the old days these would have been rock piles with a post and a tin can with the claim notice inside.

working outside in a tee shirt, until the sun goes behind a cloud, trying to figure out more ways to save my back and neck (to do stuff in front of the tractor , not with the 3 point, while not wrecking things) and havin' a coffee

Good question. Im guessing they must be using GPS. They seem to be flying in a grid. Mining claims are generally 20 acres in size, so about every quarter mile or so. Since they aren't laying out all 4 corners they must be just dropping the Discovery post. In the old days these would have been rock piles with a post and a tin can with the claim notice inside.
We used to find those in the Sierras when hiking as kids with grandparents. My folks probably still have some in a box somewhere.
working outside in a tee shirt, until the sun goes behind a cloud, trying to figure out more ways to save my back and neck (to do stuff in front of the tractor , not with the 3 point, while not wrecking things) and havin' a coffee
Do you have a sort of pully system - like for getting hay into the loft of a barn or even like those assemblies for hanging a buck from the hitch of a rig? Pullies can be sooo helpful.

The neighbor widow came by this afternoon and stayed awhile to chat. She likes to find out what's going on in the area, then plays telephone with people and gets it wrong. Sometimes it's funny. So she caught up with me today. Went into the bigger town for husband's prescriptions, the Dollar Tree, and then the feed store. Got the feed unloaded, husband taken care of, and geesh....it's time for dinner already.

Do you have a sort of pully system - like for getting hay into the loft of a barn or even like those assemblies for hanging a buck from the hitch of a rig? Pullies can be sooo helpful.
I started to build a cable system, but changed that plan for now. I have a loader for the little tractor, so I am trying to figure out a grapple to build out of junk that I have around, Anybody can build stuff out of new material. Making useful stuff from "junk" is an art, At least that is what I tell my self and others

I didn't get squat done today. I haven't slept well recently and although I didn't sleep in real late, I just couldn't get myself on track today. I was doing dishes this morning and I dropped my favorite glass measuring cup and broke it. Is it weird that I have a favorite measuring cup? 🤣 This evening I made red beans and rice with andoullie sausage and chicken breast for dinner. I did it the lazy way, with a pre cooked Uncle Ben's rice pouch, precooked chicken, and precooked sausage. All I had to do was heat it and season it. It was actually pretty good and very filling.

I am car shopping again. Not having two vehicles is a major problem because my livelihood depends on me being able to drive cross country, and I can't be borrowing a car when my main ride is in the shop. I need a reliable second, preferably one that's good in snow, gets decent MPG, and doesn't have a damned CVT transmission. I'm open to suggestions...

Trip to town (dad’s car), didn’t want to go but my check up was due with the doc. She’s actually a NP, very smart, finds my use of plants interesting. We're neighbors, I’ve known her hubby since we were kids. Anyway, for an old cripple I’m in decent health, bp was 80/62. Blood tests will be back this week.

Dad’s car is a low mileage 2018 terrain, got it at a gmc dealership in 2020. Needed a new battery. Stopped at my cousin’s autoparts store, he swapped them. We found something odd. The OEM battery (ac/delco with gm labels) wasn’t the size the manual specified. It was 2 inches shorter than the box made for it. His replacement, per the manual, was longer and fit the box. What? Is this like the small donut spare tire? They stick undersized batteries in new cars now? :rolleyes:

Or just some crap the gmc dealer pulled when he sold it to dad used? Cousin said it was a gm ac/delco he see’s in other new gmc’s. That doesn’t mean it came in this gm car. The dealer could have pulled it off a shelf and replaced the original gm battery. Anyway, got 3yrs out of it, not bad.

Then a run to the pharmacy and back home...

Last edited:
My husband is working away from home this week, so I'm up extra early to bring the lads to work/bus. I'm not a morning person, but when I'm up I really appreciate having the extra few hours. I get so much done; partly because I have one eye on Saturday and a lie-in with a book so, since half six, all animals fed and hens beds cleaned out, two washes done and hung out as there's a gale blowing here. Fires lit, a chicken cooked for tomorrow's dinner, lunches and stock made for soup I'll make tomorrow. As the oven was on I made a banana bread and cooked sausages for tonight. Hoovered and a bit of dusting in the living room and put together a new bookcase I got on sale yesterday. Also tidied up the pantry as it's usually a Saturday job.
Now I'm going to listen to some recorded lectures while finishing the socks I started last night.
@Bacpacker hope you are ok - have a good day everyone :coffee:

Day off today instead of Friday. Taking Bear someplace , he really needs to get out. Maybe the hike/bike trails in the town to my south. If I take him shopping I'll spend money, so guess we better go walking instead!!😉🐕‍🦺 Doing some laundry right now. Will stack some firewood we split yesterday, and bring a bunch of older wood in the house. Has been nice the past couple of days not messing with the wood stove! I also need to look at my truck, the headlights aren't coming on. It has weird wiring issues!🙄

it's raining, hope it stops soon. Nothing on the radar again
Animals are probably going out it's not that cold out , maybe around freezing
Today I will try to finish those taxes. Really not a huge rush, we are still waiting on some documents in the mail, so I can't send them anyway

I bought a $14 bathing suit on Temu. It got here and looks very nice and fits. Husband joked yesterday that I might swim and it might come apart....lol, I packed another one just in case but it was fine. I mean it's cheap quality, but no worse than stuff you buy on Amazon for a quarter of the price. The only annoying thing is that they keep sending me emails . Daughter says the Navy told them to not buy from there since its a Chinese spy organization, but what sort of secrets are they going to get from a poor farmer exactly?! Oh well, not buying anything else anytime soon, don't need anything. Would NOT buy a computer on there , got that one ordered directly from Dell

Welp, already have been out to check on our very pregnant Heifer. This is our very first one. Pretty nervous. The mud here in NE Ohio is terrible!! She's due February 1st. "Baby" Is a Jersey x Angus bred to a wagyu. My hubby just likes to be extra, haha. Hubby and I are going to help a fellow homesteader with their cow, then heading to TS to pick up some more tubing so we can tap maple trees today or tomorrow. Little two got on the bus at 6:40am and our two teenagers whom we home school are working on a few things before heading to help my parents with some work. hmmm.... what to make for dinner???
good luck, hope it goes well!!
Our sheep are due the end of February

Latest posts

Back