What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure what time I got up in the morning, but I went and got Mom something to eat and then decided to lie back down for awhile. Played around on the internet looking stuff up. Got notification that the fridge for my friend was in at Lowes and notified him. Went for curbside pickup, fueled up the truck, went to see my friend, helped him with running the water line for the fridge. His fish tape got stuck and I spotted where it was stuck and came up with the idea to tape a pvc pipe to another thingamabob to give enough length and let him grab the fish tape end and pull it closer. Then I made sure the line didn't snag on anything when being pulled up. Had to hold a light for him as he needed to drill a larger hole to get the line through. Stopped to let him grab a snack and then went to Lowes. Waited a long time for them to bring the fridge out and then they were trying to figure out how to get it into the truck. Friend got in and had them lift it and he guided it in. Then he tied it down and we grabbed takeout from the chinese place. Drove home going under 60mph because I didn't like the sounds from the back when I went over and it was dark so I couldn't see what was going on with the fridge. Helped friend unwrap it so he could take the doors off to fit it through his front door. His neighbor from across the street came over and helped him get it in. Neighbor moves appliances at work so is good at it. Helped take trash out and finish getting plastic and stuff of the inside of the fridge. Also consulted with his fiance on her wedding dress and gave some suggestions and offered to help her with it. She wants to add fake rose petals to the train. She was going to use hot glue but I suggested using gold thread that would add a little sparkle.

Got home, ate chicken sticks, bit the hell out of my tongue, cooked for Mom, got dumb cat Mewlatto unstuck from behind the couch, and now I'm resting.

Had one of those no-focus days. Still managed to cook three meals, do two loads of laundry, pretend I did PT (I did a couple exercises’ worth, that counts, right?), and send out sympathy cards. Plus get a couple of walks and make a quick run to the store for a few things.

Tomorrow is for gym time and Costco, before it snows on Saturday. The forecast is wildly uncertain, anywhere from 1-10” of snow.

I’m planning to make some mole sauce for the weekend so we can tackle the turkey I got at a good price after Christmas. That recipe’s for the breast. I might do a cacciatore with the legs and thighs …

getting one last load of wood for this winter ( I hope anyways)
I can't imagine what it would cost to heat this house with gas or electric, probably a small fortune

taking care of animals first, weather looks good everyone out
we need to get sawdust, running very low but we need good weather and the mill to cut pine or poplar, oak is no good
AND I need to finish the taxes, blah blah blah...lol, couldn't get motivated for THAT yesterday. It took me a while to make the sushi for lunch. First the gas on the smoker was empty, then the knob was broke and I had to turn up the gas with pliers. Then the sushi I put in an old coffee can smelled bad. I think maybe it took on the smell from the coffee, so it's going to be chicken and dog rice. So I had to open like 10 buckets to find a new bag of sushi rice.
Plus the salmon and the rice has to cool and then I have to assemble everything . We didn't eat till 3

I also got my new computer, works but has windows 11 grrrrr, I wished they would just stop!!! I truly hate Microsoft!! They make you sign in with your email to even start the computer. You have to go through a lot of get rid of that. It can be done but huge hassle.
But still using old one. I don't remember my password or what email I used for on here, so if I go away for a while, that's why . I have a sheet of passwords written down but not this one
( the password is saved on this computer and I stay logged in)

Took the day off, have appointments for most of the day. 2 hour appointment, drive 30 minutes, 2 hour appointment.. repeat until dark... Oh Yes I am so excited about today!

Tonight I will start my tax return, I have all my documents, there are 2 from the wife that always arrive late. So I do all I can and wait....

Plan on doing the left clamp for Hubie 1 , then process some wood, clean up things cause it is supposed to snow on saturday

Went to HD, a local appliance store, then Lowes looking at an electric stove for the kitchen.
Ours is pretty old. One burner doesn't get as hot as it should, the hot burner light has been on for a few years and now the display is flickering. It's only a matter of time till it dies so it's time for a new one.
I bought a new Frigidaire glass top with an air fryer oven option.
The only bad thing about glass tops is you shouldn’t use cast iron skillets on it because that will scratch the heck out of the glass top.
Had a busy but pleasant day- mostly unproductive but good nonetheless. This morning drove to in-laws about an hour away to figure out how to alter their bed so FIL can get in and out of it. When they began making deep pocket mattresses they also increased the depth of the box spring so the beds if on an older frame now sit nearly at counter height. Drives me crazy 🤪. Ours is the same way. I say you need to get a running start. Well FIL got a new hip so no running for him.
Took a friend to a birthday lunch then we picked up our Azure order. Fun fun!
Our bed is prett tall, too. I use a step stool to get in it. Right after my knee replacement surgery, hubby removed the box spring and just had the mattress in the bed frame. That lowered it quite a bit. But now the box spring is back in place and I’m back to using the step stool to get in bed.

I worked on The Ridge today.

20240202_140123_HDR.jpg

I replanted some garlic cloves that had been disturbed by some unknown culprit. They had some substantial roots on them considering they were just laying on the soil.

20240202_132935_HDR.jpg

I pruned a couple of pear trees and started on an apple tree. I need to bring a pruning hook when I return. The trees are getting too tall to prune from ground. I gathered all of the cuttings and brout them back to the house so I can use them in the hugelkulture raised bed that is going in this spring.

I may return for more pruning tomorrow if I feel up to it.

Ben

stopped for a Coffee, got the clamps so that they work, need to do some modifications, will post pics in My firewood stuff.

Cleaning up the shop, taking a break, smoking a cigar and drinking a cold one (Cactus Cooler).
I've been putting off calling my sister to see what's going on with mom's estate. We don't talk very often.
I called a guy this morning about some gold placer mines he has for sale. They're about 75 miles north of us and about 7,000 ft elevation. Probably won't be able to get in until at least June. He's asking 10k per 20 acre claim. He has 5 claims total,100 acres. I'll probably want all 5.

Went into town to get mail and some groceries. Didn't realize we were out of some things last time and got more. Dropped off a drill bit at my friend's house so he could drill a hole for the waterline to his fridge. Grabbed hay for the cows. Glad I did because Kwai was waiting for me. I didn't see Alleria so I called her and she responded with a Mooooo.
Cooked for Mom and fed the kitties.

Baked Valentine’s cookies in the off chance we would be seeing a couple munchkins today.
IMG_6762.jpeg

Also ran and picked up FIL’s laundry 🧺 which is done then stopped at the store for milk and salad.
Also spent a little time rotating in the pantry and trying to consolidate and organize.

The only bad thing about glass tops is you shouldn’t use cast iron skillets on it because that will scratch the heck out of the glass top.
Yeah, that part of moving sucked, but the neighbor was THRILLED to get my cast iron :)

Heck of a day at work. And I left at 12:30. Had planned to work this weekend, but our RCT coverage fell thru, so that got postponed. We are starting one of our big installation projects on the 12th. Found out yesterday another one of the projects is likely to be ready to go right about the same time. I was trying to do it 6 months ago. I knew this timing would happen. Next couple months are gonna be fun.
Got home from work and parked it on the front porch with a nice big cigar. It was 65 sunny and beautiful.

Heck of a day at work. And I left at 12:30. Had planned to work this weekend, but our RCT coverage fell thru, so that got postponed. We are starting one of our big installation projects on the 12th. Found out yesterday another one of the projects is likely to be ready to go right about the same time. I was trying to do it 6 months ago. I knew this timing would happen. Next couple months are gonna be fun.
Got home from work and parked it on the front porch with a nice big cigar. It was 65 sunny and beautiful.
At least ya got to leave early and take a load off. Sorry you're going to be slammed with so much work at once, @Bacpacker
Just reading, skimming through everyone's busy-ness. I was busy at work all day. Grim news from family this evening. They don't like for a big deal to be made over people on their way out, or even after they're gone. Lucky for me I don't listen to anybody else.

it went back down to way below freezing, 20 right now
but supposed to warm up so everyone is going out
we made a to do list for Feb. yesterday, it's not that bad
today we are going to start clearing out some areas in the barn to put the sheep mommas and lambs when they arrive. We have till end of month but it takes a while
also on the list is moving some composted manure to the gardens. Son already started but he is now very busy with school. I have never seen him this stressed in years, he's really worried about the stupid Spanish class he has to pass. Husband has been helping him ( he speaks Spanish). I feel bad, husband and myself both speak a second language and our son didn't get his 2 year highschool credit . I suppose we should have taught the kids at least one of them. When I went to college I just took a test to pass my second language requirement. Took about a few hours

I have entered all the tax data, just waiting for one more piece of paper to arrive in the mail ( husband's pension tax form) so I can email it to the accountant

Baked Valentine’s cookies in the off chance we would be seeing a couple munchkins today.
Also ran and picked up FIL’s laundry 🧺 which is done then stopped at the store for milk and salad.
Also spent a little time rotating in the pantry and trying to consolidate and organize.
wow, those are beautiful!! You could sell those !

Those are beautiful cookies @LadyLocust !
All the storms are gone,
We will be getting them today.

I walked early to avoid the rain.
Never got the muffins made yesterday, so today it is.
Cut up carrots for dogs.
Write my friend in the military.
Goof off with all my spare time today!

Batch of scones are in the oven. Drinking coffee sitting by the pellet stove watching Angry Cops on YouTube with the hubby. Menfolk have haircuts later. Oldest is fighting with the printer to make labels for the 14 quarts of parsnips I canned yesterday. I’m thinking about getting some onion, shallots, and leek seeds in the seed starter today.

Getting a bit caught up here..
Last 2 weeks have been busy including the weekends.
Work, gave a canning class, work work work, church, meeting with my MAG group , walk the dogs between storms, getting stuff done here.
At work, the mill hired 3 new clean up folks. One guy has worked here before a few times and just falls in where he is needed.
The other two are brand new, young and this is their first real serious type job and its physical and they are ..well ..not.
I hope they stick it out, its alot of work to catch up the cleaning after I'm stacking for two weeks on nights.
I have some concerns that they wont last long, I hope they do.
This isnt exactly the culture or type of job where someone will get alot of coaching or mentoring. The majority of the guys are cool n will teach new people but there is still a certain kind of ..ruggedness mentality folks need to adapt to or already have to work in this type of gig.
I got to work yesterday and pulled them from under the trimsaw ...while it was running!
I pointed out the day prior why it gets so dirty under it and it is because it is a no no zone for us.. unless the saw is shut down.
The skidster operator can clean under it because the operator is protected by the fully enclosed hardened canopy. So , the skidster operator grabs them that am to pick up n shovel the hard to scoop boards n debris into the skidster bucket..all the while the saw is running.
I walk in n see this , tell the kids to meet me in the break room n had a chat with that guy. He knew he was in the wrong n didnt give me lip.
I respectfully reminded him none of us will have a job if another death or serious injury happens..sawdust n broken boards are not work the risk.
These kids are too new and lack the ability and experience to challenge anyone. They knew it wasnt a place to be working , but didnt know how to deal with this guy.. so they did what they were told n tried to do it fast to get out of that area.
Uggh...so..I stuck with them the rest of the day.

This job could really help them financially as well as mentally build up their confidence. They are related and it doesn't sound like they have not had a stable life.
I have one more week to work with them before I'm on the opposite shift for two weeks. It's not enough time but I will see what I can do.
This weekend I plan on getting back on my organizing , purging n cleaning, catch up on news n try n get the dogs a decent walk in between the rain n snow.

Hooch thank you for stepping in where needed, again this reminds me of the stupid Phrase "Common sense" it is group and experience sense or something , but not common.
Someone looking out for the in experienced is so important. As long as they aren't made to look foolish, they will probably learn. Again thank you for your efforts

Well..luckily no one else noticed what was going on or saw me take them away.
Having a woman seen "protecting " these boys..in a very male dominated type job could have backfired on them as far as gaining respect by the rest of the crew who are still immature n roll that way .
The best tools I can give them in a week is to make it very clear where they can and cannot work and to not be afraid to ask questions and from whom.
The skidster guy got a tab butthurt but was cool at the end of the day and working with us. He isnt a bad guy, but he does some stupid stuff n takes chances sometimes. I know he has a traumatic brain injury too so I dont think he thinks through stuff always.

Trying to clean up so that when it snows I can plow without wrecking stuff, and hoping that it either melts enough before it starts or something to prevent the ice under snow thing Oh yeah gotta load my welder for a repair on Monday.

Latest posts

Back