What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I came home from work not feeling well. I had a scratchy throat this morning and just general malaise. Now the scratchy throat is worse no nasal congestion just a scratchy throat and a headache. Oh and a little itty-bitty fever. Already found someone to cover my shift tomorrow I’m sleeping late.

Jake got one under his belt today.

IMG_2337.jpeg
IMG_2336.jpeg
IMG_2341.jpeg
IMG_2345.png

Take care of yourself Iron. Those bonks on the head can cause issues!
Busy day out in the field today. Sunny and warm. All wrong for Michigan in February. Don't like it. But it made for easy driving.
Daughter here for a visit. Life's always better when she's around! Sitting here watching Murder She Wrote and eating too much Chinese take out. :)

Worked today, well I guess it was yesterday but if I can actually sleep tonight I work tomorrow (today) as well.

I didn't sleep well last night either and was up at 3:30am and surfed the web. Saw a post on a group I am part of related to the T-shirt stuff and a guy mentioned where he gets most of his heat transfer prints and checked out that company. Retail prices were reasonable, but everything is sold by the dozen, most things I looked at were about $36 or $40 per dozen which was not bad pricing and the prints were real good. After work I looked it over again and signed up for a business account, which marked most things down by 20%. Wow. Multi-color and full-color heat transfer prints, some as low as $1.00 each for full front prints on a T-shirt. I had planned on buying several different designs, maybe up to $400 worth of stuff but I kept searching and adding to my cart and I was amazed at how many different prints I was selecting and staying well under the $400. Ended up with 15 different designs for shirts and 2 different packs of stickers/window decals and even with taxes and shipping I was still below $400. I am super excited. Various designs related to the southwest (where I live), 2nd amendment, Pro-America, western/cowboy/cowgirl, and even a couple licensed Three Stooges designs. When they arrive I will take pictures of them to make posters to display when I set up at the farmers market and post some of them here, you know, so I can share what i am excited about.

The downside is some of them press at different heat ranges than my existing stuff so I am looking for a second heat press so I can have one for each set of heat transfers. I guess I will have to rearrange my toyhauler again so I can set up another storage rack and place the second heat press.

Either Friday or Saturday I will drive up to Wyoming for my side of beef from the butcher. The good part of that is we have been eating a lot of beef, from the last batch, to make room in the freezer for the new stuff. Mmmmm, I love steak and roast and brisquit, and steak.

Raining again today, well actually a heavy sprinkle. Been that way most the day and probably some of tomorrow (today). It's a desert, we need the water so I am good with it. But, the last 3 feet of my driveway is getting mushy again. I added in more wood chips last week when it was dry but that one area is still soft and mushy. At least it is nothing like last year with ruts all the way up to the garage.

Going to do a carpet cleaning job this morning! Good pay, short hours, and I like doing that!! Will give the pool float some quality time today, upper 80's later!!🌞 Lots of critter time of course too! Will make chicken pasta salad, put the laundry away I'm doing now, and clean the carpet in my den before I put the machine away! My little black cat is missing this morning, hopefully she's just busy, but she's usually the one climbing the door for breakfast. She could be locked in Hubby's shop?!🤔 Daylight will tell!!

This is forecasted to be the nicest day of the week. A few clouds and temps in the 60's. We have a tee time at 10:00. It is nice to be retired. Supposed to rain tomorrow. I hope it holds off.

Already walked.
Have to go to Walmart and thrift stores- still looking for pre-owned couch.
Appt. with accountant for taxes.
One business call to make once home.
Going to transfer some empty pickle type jars to shed to make more room in dishwasher for mason jars.
Fairly easy day. Supposed to get up to 74 today!

Coffee, must be crazy kitten day, the "little" female was perched in the beams in the basement this morning, quite pleased with her self,

Worked today, well I guess it was yesterday but if I can actually sleep tonight I work tomorrow (today) as well.

I didn't sleep well last night either and was up at 3:30am and surfed the web. Saw a post on a group I am part of related to the T-shirt stuff and a guy mentioned where he gets most of his heat transfer prints and checked out that company. Retail prices were reasonable, but everything is sold by the dozen, most things I looked at were about $36 or $40 per dozen which was not bad pricing and the prints were real good. After work I looked it over again and signed up for a business account, which marked most things down by 20%. Wow. Multi-color and full-color heat transfer prints, some as low as $1.00 each for full front prints on a T-shirt. I had planned on buying several different designs, maybe up to $400 worth of stuff but I kept searching and adding to my cart and I was amazed at how many different prints I was selecting and staying well under the $400. Ended up with 15 different designs for shirts and 2 different packs of stickers/window decals and even with taxes and shipping I was still below $400. I am super excited. Various designs related to the southwest (where I live), 2nd amendment, Pro-America, western/cowboy/cowgirl, and even a couple licensed Three Stooges designs. When they arrive I will take pictures of them to make posters to display when I set up at the farmers market and post some of them here, you know, so I can share what i am excited about.

The downside is some of them press at different heat ranges than my existing stuff so I am looking for a second heat press so I can have one for each set of heat transfers. I guess I will have to rearrange my toyhauler again so I can set up another storage rack and place the second heat press.

Either Friday or Saturday I will drive up to Wyoming for my side of beef from the butcher. The good part of that is we have been eating a lot of beef, from the last batch, to make room in the freezer for the new stuff. Mmmmm, I love steak and roast and brisquit, and steak.

Raining again today, well actually a heavy sprinkle. Been that way most the day and probably some of tomorrow (today). It's a desert, we need the water so I am good with it. But, the last 3 feet of my driveway is getting mushy again. I added in more wood chips last week when it was dry but that one area is still soft and mushy. At least it is nothing like last year with ruts all the way up to the garage.
Before buying a whole new machine, might look into if it's possible to add a thermostat to your existing one - a simple call to an electrician would let you know. Might be a lot cheaper (or a little) but best of all save space.

Sonya is late!🤔
yes!! LOL read my rant....

So after spending an hour getting my email to work again ( and this forum) here is what I am doing today:

already took care of animals, no new lambs, I guess the rest are waiting till their due date, but one looks REALLY big, I wonder how many are in there. HOpe not 4, if there are I will have to feed at least 1
Cooked 2 seperate meals, one for me on my diet ( just veggies) and one for husband and son, plus have a ton of dishes to do since we got back late yesterday from signing and picking up taxes and getting my photos printed. So no dishes got done yesterday

taking Otto for hike later

Drinking Coffee, realizing my neck is still really sore, fussing in my head about what I should be doing.

Black Annie Cat got locked in Hubby's truck overnight, not the shop!😮😮😮 Yep, she peed in it!🤣🤣🤣 She actually peed on a flannel shirt that was in the backseat, enough got on the seat, it's ripe in there, I'll clean it with the upholstery attachment on the carpet machine later! My carpet cleaning job went great today! Got home and made chicken pasta salad, put laundry away, fixin to take a quick nap and then I'm taking the pool float for a spin!

Before buying a whole new machine, might look into if it's possible to add a thermostat to your existing one - a simple call to an electrician would let you know. Might be a lot cheaper (or a little) but best of all save space.
Thank you fur the suggestion. My press does have a thermostat and last year I would keep it at the warmer setting and if I needed the lower temp I would dial it down and aim a fan at it for a couple minutes to cool it off, but the newer heat transfers are also at a couple different temperatures so it will be easier and faster to have 2 presses, one for the higher temps and one for the cooler temps. Most transfer materials have a small range for the temps and you just increase or decrease the press time so I am hoping to have some overlap.
However, now you got me thinking. If I can phase out one type of transfer maybe the others will be close enough that they can play nice together on one press. I will look into what I have and what I am getting.

Lots of cooking and dishes over the last couple days, PT, gym time — I swear 90% of life is maintenance. :p

Got some more dishes to do, bathrooms to clean, game time tonight. Need to start making a list of what I need to can in the summer; I definitely need more salsa and less fruit.

I came home early last night.
A shaft snapped in half under the sorting bins, these bins that sort and hold all the lumber. So I "call" a bin to me The bin gets lowered down onto a long long row of about 5 chains spread out about 16 feet on top of a supporting framework. It works like a conveyor but the bin of lumber slides down and upon the chain conveyor and travel to my machine..the Stacker.
So..two bins of lumber are comming down fo me and both are going a bit sideways.
Not good.
It needs to stay strait so 1. it doesnt fall off the chains and 2. If it's all crooked but doesnt fall off, I have to shove them strait and back on the chains so I can get it onto my machine.
A wet 6/4×10.5 12 foot board is damb heavy..a few probably weigh as much as myself n a bin full of these boards is over a 100 boards ..not fun and time consuming.
I thought at first they got sideways because the computer program put them in the first few bins designed for 14 n 16 foot wide n heavy lumber.
But a 3rd bin came at me sidways ..so I knew something was wrong with the chains or something..turns out a shaft snapped.
So it was a short night.
I took the pups for a walk just on my road n the moles n mice mounds kicked up some pottery pieces..I found a handfull..
Oh n here is a pic of a saw called the vertical. I went upstairs the other night when they broke down. I dont see the guards off the saws often being that I'm downstairs. Kinda cool..they are huge..I'm up on the catwalk so how big they are is kinda deceiving but it takes 2 guys to change one saw..

Attachments

• 20240221_105549.jpg
    20240221_105549.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240219_201626.jpg
    20240219_201626.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
@ Hooch :that is a monster pair of band saws. the ladder kind of shows the scale. Is the mill usually shut down for maintainable when the frost comes out of the ground? The pottery pieces are neat, too bad the rest of the writing isn't there for more of "the story" I wonder if it is part of a single piece or if you stumbled on a "just bury it" spot

@ Hooch :that is a monster pair of band saws. the ladder kind of shows the scale. Is the mill usually shut down for maintainable when the frost comes out of the ground? The pottery pieces are neat, too bad the rest of the writing isn't there for more of "the story" I wonder if it is part of a single piece or if you stumbled on a "just bury it" spot
I wish the mill would shut down in winter..its a fight to keep everything going. They used to shut it down for a few months..ughh..
I'll go back n look for more peices..I found a few old rusted tins out there too..this area has alot of old history..huge orchard back in the day. I bet there are many buried kids of treasures out here like this pottery. I found a fork in my garden that belonged to the railroad company that used to run through here

I wish the mill would shut down in winter..its a fight to keep everything going. They used to shut it down for a few months..ughh..
I'll go back n look for more peices..I found a few old rusted tins out there too..this area has alot of old history..huge orchard back in the day. I bet there are many buried kids of treasures out here like this pottery. I found a fork in my garden that belonged to the railroad company that used to run through here
history that you can put your hands on is very Cool.

This morning I made a batch of sweet drunken (bourbon) jerky. For lunch I made jalapenos stuffed with bacon, cheese, habanaro and ghost peppers and grilled on the BBQ. We just took our Thai friend out shooting, and now we're hanging out in the fur shed drinking root beer and smoking cigars. Tonight we're grilling some filet mignon steaks and shrimp.

This morning I made a batch of sweet drunken (bourbon) jerky. For lunch I made jalapenos stuffed with bacon, cheese, habanaro and ghost peppers and grilled on the BBQ. We just took our Thai friend out shooting, and now we're hanging out in the fur shed drinking root beer and smoking cigars. Tonight we're grilling some filet mignon steaks and shrimp.
Count me in for Root Beer and Cigars :)

Went to the bigger town after lunch and husband got his bloodwork done. Then gas and the bank for cash. Then we braved Walmart. Husband got his haircut finally, and it looks pretty good. We ran into some Amish cousins, their parents, and also some neighbors down the road. Visiting at Walmart is a thing. Did a bit of shopping.

Today was very strange. The "Bob Sumeral" repair place WAS usually packed, yesterday I called and got transferred to AAA to make an "appointment"

I was the ONLY customer there , for 2 hours.

the work looks good, but WTH happened in the past year?

Might be doing the brake job in my my garage up north.

That reminds me, off to Rock Auto.

Today was very strange. The "Bob Sumeral" repair place WAS usually packed, yesterday I called and got transferred to AAA to make an "appointment"

I was the ONLY customer there , for 2 hours.

the work looks good, but WTH happened in the past year?

Might be doing the brake job in my my garage up north.

That reminds me, off to Rock Auto.
Wow D! Sounds like you need that rootbeer and cigar after your day today.

Latest posts

Back