What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s pretty cool, @Peanut
I don’t know most of my cousins anymore; I’m the youngest of first cousins on one side and oldest on the other side. Reconnected with one this week. There are two areas in Virginia I could travel to and surely would find relatives from either side of the family, people I don’t know with unmistakable last names. There is one distant relative who looks exactly like my uncle.
You are very fortunate to have so many relatives right there.

Always nice when they break at home! I always 'park where the wrecker can get it' when I drive my truck, lol!
Except when there is 6" of snow right where you need to crawl under the vehicle to change the starter out, yeah I've done that when I lived in Denver, thankfully the starter on my 289 Ford engine was very easy to get to.

Got home just before 6, wife informed me that something smelled in the fridge and the shelves were stuck. Being the gentile soul that I am, I remove everything, removed all the trays and shelves. Washed them all, then starting inspecting what I had taken out of the fridge, anything "unusual" was promptly discarded. Ran across a jar of leftover pineapple tid-bits, the wife said that they're perfectly good, I said not after 3 years! After the inspection was completed, every jar got its bottom washed and dried before being returned to the fridge in an orderly manner... I don't know how long it will last but I tried.

The wind here is blowing to beat the band, the temps are dropping like a stone, should get slightly below freezing over night. Thankfully most of the plants outside have wind proof tops closed right now....

My fittings, hose, and starter trays are now here. I did forget to order additional pumps to make it all work, but that should be fixed by this weekend.

Back to work today. It amazes me how much crap builds up after just 2.5 days. Gotta work this weekend too. Got home and started cutting up the trees that feel last week. Thought I might have lost some blueberry bushes. I got 3 of the 4 uncovered and only found one broken limb. One more to go, but it's gonna take another afternoon or two to get to it. The way they fell I've got limbs under tension holding up the trunks and trees crossed. Gotta pick and choose what and where to cut at, then drag off brush so I can get to more. Sloooooow going. I'm about tired tonight.

Well, never did go to the stores ... will have to wait till tomorrow.

The pups kept me busy ... I was watching the Congressional hearings on TV ... my female pup (Luna) was STARING at the TV and barking constantly for 30 minutes! Couldn't shut her up, and didn't want to turn it off because it was so interesting. Very weird
She knows a crook when she hears one 😉

Are you taking I-40 across Tx and Ok? Thats at least what it looks like. If so 40 across OK is some of the roughest roads I've ever driven
Looks like a great trip and some great places to visit
Yeah once you get across the Mississippi and West Memphis you need a pillow under your arse!!! Probably run all the way out on 40 as far as we can but go through Dallas FW on the trip back to go by my Uncles grave he has been out there for about 30 years the rest of the family moved back North of the lake in St Tammany parish LA, and his sons have both died since 2015.

Yeah once you get across the Mississippi and West Memphis you need a pillow under your arse!!! Probably run all the way out on 40 as far as we can but go through Dallas FW on the trip back to go by my Uncles grave he has been out there for about 30 years the rest of the family moved back North of the lake in St Tammany parish LA, and his sons have both died since 2015.
We took 40 out to Arizona to Flagstaff. Arkansas wasn't too bad, but Okie SUCKED

watching the snow keep coming down, wondering what the people that say "you have too much snow moving stuff" are thinking about now

After a week of struggling to wake up early enough to be onsite downtown early every day, I finally have an easy day working from home. So what happens? I wake up at OHMGI'sE with sinus running, in a couple of hours I can run a few errands before starting my work day at 07:00... On a normal day I wake up the chickens, on a day like today I just don't have words to describe it. What ever I do I need to do it quietly because people don't like being awakened this early :)....

I feel like Foghorn Leghorn out looking to give Barnyard Dog a beating...

Last edited:

Up early, Tackle box in order, knife sharp. Getting ready to go rip some I lips!!!! Percey Quinn State Park
Will run a trot line first. Then bass fish
Maybe catch something yummy 🤤

Attachments

• IMG_1407.mov
    14.3 MB
Up early too, not fishing, just up early as usual!!🤔 Going to be a rainy day, storms later. My regular Thursday client asked me to move her day to Saturday, she didn't want her house cleaned on a wet day! Since I have cleaned for her over 15yrs, I said sure! So I'm off today, but working all weekend. My back could really use the rest! So I am going to take things slower today!

going to drive an hour and a half to the "big" city of Bluefield today to go to AAA and Sams, need to get international drivers license to drive in Europe and need to get paper towels, peanut butter and a new bag of rice at Sams, plus might get some beef for stir fry there ( can't substitute lamb or goat for that)

about to start animals chores , hope the wind from yesterday doesn't come back, it was aweful. We ended up putting the animals in early so we could close and secure the barn doors , so they don't break by banging in the wind.

Too chilly play outside for long, so feed the cats, scoop the litter boxes. More cleaning, and load stuff in the car for a trip north. As a reward, I'll take a trip to the new Vance Outdoors that opened in an old strip center.

Just Chilling Right now with nothing lined-up for later... Yesturday's Wx said Sun Am will bee near 44f and just a few minutes ago the Loco Channel shows 39f for Sun am... Wish they would make up their Minds so I could Make Up Mine...!!! :dunno:

View attachment 126831
Up early, Tackle box in order, knife sharp. Getting ready to go rip some I lips!!!! Percey Quinn State Park
Will run a trot line first. Then bass fish
Maybe catch something yummy 🤤
View attachment 126830
Do you mean like down here at exit 10/ Percy Quinn State park. I could definitely come visit if you are down here!

Well today has been going according to Murphy.

Still have the sinus headache that woke me up 8 and a half hours ago, am at my personal limit (self imposed) for OTC pain medications at this point.

I decided to put the trash to the curb at 03:30 this morning, discovered that I caught the possum that has been making a mess around here... Now I need to dispose of him/her (I'm not going to check or care).

Ran a couple of errands, 05:30-06:45... Went to the ATM to pick up some cash, only to discover it was out of order.

Started working and realized that I left the power cord for my laptop at the office... So I was faced with spend 3 hours and $25 going downtown to pick up the cord, or order an extra and have it delivered overnight for $29.... The Laptop had an 8 hour charge, so I decided to log on, send any documents I needed to review to my personal computer, and save the battery until the new cord arrives tomorrow. I am using my work phone to cover any gaps that I have.

Then (30 minutes ago) the wife gets up and informs me that I used the wrong grocery list when I ran errands this morning, seems she left an old one out where she normally leaves the one I'm expected to fill; No biggie, but it means the menu just changed.

I just checked my Amz order (new seed starter trays) hoping to cheer myself up... Open the box and instead of 20 trays there are 3! Going to return that item to get a refund.

I'm beginning to think that everyone is just trying to tick me off....

I think that I'm getting grumpy rrrrrr

Another day of jury duty for the wife ...

Got back from dropping her off, and went across the street to see what the worker was doing. So far so good. He's replacing the patio pavers that he had to remove for installation of 2 pole lights. Let's hope it all comes out perfect.

The pups are crazy again ... they miss my wife. But I'm trying to distract them.

Just finished breakfast. Going to have to hit a few stores today. I hate shopping!

Woke up late and really sore, If I had know it would hurt this much I might have been a little lees eager to work so damn hard. <coffee is tasting especially good, house is a little cool, and the sky is falling, at least the white part of it keeps landing on the ground.

When I hear about a lot of the towns in WVA and the mountain States I always think of the mine families, I had some in the family and remember going to visit at the rows of mine company houses.

When I was on T&S with Southern RWY we would park on the load tracks and have to go under the hoppers The machine I ran swept the tracks and the companies would always want me to clean them off, I hated that I got to where I would keep an old blanket to get under even if it was 90 degrees to do it and afterward sweep it with a broom.

I always think of Patty Loveless, "Never leave Harlan Alive"

I remember the sun Coming up at 10 and going down at three.

I live in the flatlands and every day I think of those Hills hard for your heart ever leave even when your life is so far away

Well today has been going according to Murphy.

Still have the sinus headache that woke me up 8 and a half hours ago, am at my personal limit (self imposed) for OTC pain medications at this point.

I decided to put the trash to the curb at 03:30 this morning, discovered that I caught the possum that has been making a mess around here... Now I need to dispose of him/her (I'm not going to check or care).

Ran a couple of errands, 05:30-06:45... Went to the ATM to pick up some cash, only to discover it was out of order.

Started working and realized that I left the power cord for my laptop at the office... So I was faced with spend 3 hours and $25 going downtown to pick up the cord, or order an extra and have it delivered overnight for $29.... The Laptop had an 8 hour charge, so I decided to log on, send any documents I needed to review to my personal computer, and save the battery until the new cord arrives tomorrow. I am using my work phone to cover any gaps that I have.

Then (30 minutes ago) the wife gets up and informs me that I used the wrong grocery list when I ran errands this morning, seems she left an old one out where she normally leaves the one I'm expected to fill; No biggie, but it means the menu just changed.

I just checked my Amz order (new seed starter trays) hoping to cheer myself up... Open the box and instead of 20 trays there are 3! Going to return that item to get a refund.

I'm beginning to think that everyone is just trying to tick me off....

I think that I'm getting grumpy rrrrrr
Sorry about all that UH. Are you taking extra zinc - think that is pretty safe for most folks, but it does help relieve some of that sinus pressure.

May I ask what type of home security camera kit you got? I know that we need something. but can't be real expensive.
Aosu security camera system .
They are wireless, wifi , solar powered , no subscription needed unless you want it stored to the cloud. The camera system hub stores like 4 months of data before they purge old stuff, I think I recall it was only 4.99 a month to store to the cloud.
If you choose more than one camera, the cameras will work together to track a object seamlessly . You can turn down the sensitivity on movement n audio so you can be more selective on what it picks up.
It does about 30 ft out on night vision too. Works down to negative temps and well over 100 degrees outside.
I was thinking about getting a system that ran off cell towers. But after adding up the cost..I discovered EACH camera has to have a subscription..a years subscription for one camera is like 200 bucks. So one camera might not be bad..but I wanted a few out here.
This system runs off my internet system, so I only pay for the cameras and the storage thing. And, if I'm home and working around the place or wanting to turn off one or all cameras..there is a setting to do that.
Plus, my friends just installed the same system and love it. They said the cameras dont mess with their ability to watch internet stuff , they track really well , alerts come in as soon as they picked up stuff. Easy to set up on their phones.
So even if the cameras are destroyed outside or the bad guys take out internet or shut off power..the audio n video of that will be saved prior to the destruction. I dont worry bout power outages due to my setup.
I'd been saving points on Amazon so I was able to get more cameras for just under $300 bucks.
I was saving them up for a metal melting furnace so I can melt scrap metal..but that can wait. I think my peace of mind n security is more pertinent at the moment.

I up-potted an olive and coffee trees. They were in 9" pots but now in big 24" pots. The olive tree was very root bound. I am hoping they adjust well.

Tomorrow dig up an apple tree and prep for the new raised bed.

Ben

Been seeing a new doctor for 2 months.
Got blood tests. All my kidney results are back to normal.
And I have lost 12 lbs. Now he wants to try to fix my bad knee. Best doctor I have ever seen.

Been seeing a new doctor for 2 months.
Got blood tests. All my kidney results are back to normal.
And I have lost 12 lbs. Now he wants to try to fix my bad knee. Best doctor I have ever seen.
Which from previous discussions isn't saying much.

Latest posts

Back