What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My pile of used coffee filters looked to small so having another one.
Have you ever thought about the reusable coffee filters? Just dump the grounds, rinse and put it back in the machine and you never have to buy filters again- or worry about running out 😁

I started cleaning up the grill at the rental place. Decided the grill is a lost cause. I thought it just needed a good cleaning to clear the mouse nest that was built on the grating. But no the mouse urine destroyed everything.

I found a decent looking replacement but will wait to let The Princess have a say in it.

Visited the youngest granddaughter to do Tutor Time. I cut the visit short because she demonstrated she has figured out the process of multiplying decimals. She has a test tomorrow. She should at least do well if not kill it.

Tomorrow maybe change wind shield wipers and assemble a new raised bed.

Ben

I started cleaning up the grill at the rental place. Decided the grill is a lost cause. I thought it just needed a good cleaning to clear the mouse nest that was built on the grating. But no the mouse urine destroyed everything.

I found a decent looking replacement but will wait to let The Princess have a say in it.

Visited the youngest granddaughter to do Tutor Time. I cut the visit short because she demonstrated she has figured out the process of multiplying decimals. She has a test tomorrow. She should at least do well if not kill it.

Tomorrow maybe change wind shield wipers and assemble a new raised bed.

Ben
Keep us posted, then you can forward all our cheers on to her when she aces it 😊

Have you ever thought about the reusable coffee filters? Just dump the grounds, rinse and put it back in the machine and you never have to buy filters again- or worry about running out 😁
I have one it works well, but not better than the paper one.

This afternoon I figured out the starter problem, an interlock switch on the pto lever. Prevents starting the tractor with the pto engaged. I usually despise interlock switches, but this one is a good thing. It’s just worn out and the lever is a crappy Brazilian design. It’s always been a pain to engage the pto on that tractor. Got the switch bypassed temporarily.

Nothing but tv this evening. House smells like peach pie, baked one. Having a bowl as I type.

This afternoon I figured out the starter problem, an interlock switch on the pto lever. Prevents starting the tractor with the pto engaged. I usually despise interlock switches, but this one is a good thing. It’s just worn out and the lever is a crappy Brazilian design. It’s always been a pain to engage the pto on that tractor. Got the switch bypassed temporarily.

Nothing but tv this evening. House smells like peach pie, baked one. Having a bowl as I type.
My Kubota has a twist cap/button thingies, t has to run at 2200 rpms.

Got the camper back home, stuff unloaded, and got it winterized again. Back in the 20s tonight.
I checked on the tiny green Blueberries & blooms, because t got down to 33F, everything looked good.
Maybe we can have blueberries this your.

I checked on the tiny green Blueberries & blooms, because t got down to 33F, everything looked good.
Maybe we can have blueberries this your.
We were mid 30's last night. I'll be checking mine when I go next door to dad's. Tonight we're supposed to go into the 20's. I'll cover mine with an old flannel sheet tonight.

just when I thought I could plant my started little plants outside, it gets cold again and no end in sight either either it is below freezing or raining , no good weather at all
Looks like another year of 5 months winter

today we need to go shopping and get propane tanks refilled. I am debating where to go, one town has a better walmart, one town cheaper propane. I don't like shopping at either one , but the larger city with more options is an hour away and we plan on making a Sams trip tomorrow also hour away , but son and myself need to go to AAA to get international drivers permits

I thought we had enough firewood but now it looks like maybe not if this cold keeps up , every year I am waiting for that "global warming' but again no go this year again either LOL ( not surprised since it is all bogus )

Busy day in our little town today. Another amish grade school is coming to ours for a softball match. The little girls that I drive in the morning were very excited about the ice cream and treats that go along with watching the game. A cousin of mine lost his wife a bit over a year ago, he's in his 80's. Is remarrying in May, so today is a "farm sale' day to clean out his old stuff and make room for his wife to be new stuff. Lunch is being served by the local ladies, my favorite cousin is helping, so it looks like I need to pop in for lunch. One of our neighbors, the dad for the girl I drive, is coming by this evening to till up our big garden area, so the whole family will come. I put a roast in the crockpot. Husband is feeling not so good, but hopefully he can visit some.

Yes I have, but filters are for now really cheap, and since I live in a dry climate, and can use a bit of moisture in the air, I let the filters dry for a day or 2 and the burn them in my heater. I have a couple of re usables stored for when or if I can't get them, but for now I like this method, And if I am not paying attention, I know how many Coffee I have drank, like on a cool 22f morning with 4 or5 inches of fresh snow on the ground

Last edited:
Getting ready to go give the pups a small walk. Then get ready for work.
We switched to white fir yesterday. Running pretty smooth so far but mostly on bigger cuts like 2x6 2x8, 2x12 stuff.
I hate stacking 1xanything..
Looks like the last nice sunny day for awhile. Rain, cloudyness and snow flurries pretty much for the next two weeks.
Yesterday, I ordered a home security camera kit. I know it wont stop anyone from doing anything..however..it all runs in real time and will alert me in real time. Plus it stores for like 4 months of stuff. So when im working weird hours, i can check before I come home n see if I need to be concerned about anything.
I will have to get a better phone to do this on but I've been wanting a newer one anyways. My audio jack has been broken for years, this phone is old, crashs alot, deleted a ton of my photos and has no more room for memory storage and no sd card option. Its probably pushing 7 years or so..so definitely obsolete for today's world of smart phones.

Another busy morning ... up early, drove wife to jury duty ... got back and had breakfast ... then made pup food - chopped up boneless pork chops, cooked it in beef broth, added mixed veggies, pumpkin, dry food, & rice. It'll be enough for 4 days for the pups.

Going to have to go to Costco for more pup food meat, and to Petsmart for some pup treats. Will also stop at grocery store for people food.

Sunny and 64* here now.

Was going to do yard work, but I'm gonna put that on hold I think.

Getting ready to go give the pups a small walk. Then get ready for work.
We switched to white fir yesterday. Running pretty smooth so far but mostly on bigger cuts like 2x6 2x8, 2x12 stuff.
I hate stacking 1xanything..
Looks like the last nice sunny day for awhile. Rain, cloudyness and snow flurries pretty much for the next two weeks.
Yesterday, I ordered a home security camera kit. I know it wont stop anyone from doing anything..however..it all runs in real time and will alert me in real time. Plus it stores for like 4 months of stuff. So when im working weird hours, i can check before I come home n see if I need to be concerned about anything.
I will have to get a better phone to do this on but I've been wanting a newer one anyways. My audio jack has been broken for years, this phone is old, crashs alot, deleted a ton of my photos and has no more room for memory storage and no sd card option. Its probably pushing 7 years or so..so definitely obsolete for today's world of smart phones.
May I ask what type of home security camera kit you got? I know that we need something. but can't be real expensive.

It is still snowing, really light, prolly 8 inches on the ground since last night, supposed to stop before morning, but maybe that much more again. Coffee , not real motivated today, doing a bit of tidy ing in the house.

Yuck, Eckatrina, I couldn't handle living up that far north. Sun is out today and it's 64 degrees, so not too shabby. A bit windy, though, but we always have wind. The farm auction was hopping, got to see a bunch of cousins. Just a small handfull of us english there, like 5 of us. Ha. Lunch was good, pie was excellent. Enjoyed the visiting.

Yuck, Eckatrina, I couldn't handle living up that far north. Sun is out today and it's 64 degrees, so not too shabby. A bit windy, though, but we always have wind. The farm auction was hopping, got to see a bunch of cousins. Just a small handfull of us english there, like 5 of us. Ha. Lunch was good, pie was excellent. Enjoyed the visiting.
I dont mind Winter, Cold and Snow.........and I know some might find it weird
but I always did like temperature cooler than warmer..for example : I prefer Summer temperature between 50f to 70f not warmer than that

The plan to assemble the new raised bed was called off due to high winds. The corrugated metal panels would love to go for a fly.

I turned my attention to rug shampooer that isn't feeding detergent. Since I replaced everything else I figured it may be a vapor lock issue. Blowing through the vent tube may have cleared the blockage. The Princess will test it out and let me know.

Behave

Ben

Quiet day… helped dad with his dentures, found a place that’d glue a tooth back on. Had to wait for an appointment til next week. Dad was upset, mostly because I couldn’t take him to see the guy that made them. That guy died a decade ago. :(

Got a couple of surprise phone calls this afternoon. An old friend called from PA, we hadn’t talked since christmas. Then, a few years ago a guy paid me to come out to his grandfathers farm and point out all the wild medicinal and edible plants, turns out we were distantly related.

Anyway, we stayed in contact, meet for lunch when he comes to check on the farm he inherited. Good timing, glad he called. I’d been thinking of putting a couple fish baskets in the swamp. His farm borders the swamp at a point the river is only a couple hundred yards away. It’s the best place to set fish baskets where no one will steal my fish. It’s a problem locally, people will actually steal food you’ve caught in a basket. 🤬 I finally stopped fishing at the places closest to me.

Last edited:
Well, never did go to the stores ... will have to wait till tomorrow.

The pups kept me busy ... I was watching the Congressional hearings on TV ... my female pup (Luna) was STARING at the TV and barking constantly for 30 minutes! Couldn't shut her up, and didn't want to turn it off because it was so interesting. Very weird

Latest posts

Back