What's Your Best Mole Eradicator?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have beennfighting Moles for 20 years,
They have made a huge mess of my bfront yard,
I have about give up.

Someone please tell me how to get rid of them,

The best so far has been them scissor type killer traps,
but man you gotta place them just right.

Jim
I've never used it but I hear Gasoline is very effective......

We have a huge mole problem and dogs like to did em up so we have a huge mole and dog problem.
We deal with by being careful when walking across yard and not breaking anything.
Don't want chemicals that may kill our dogs so we just let them have at it.
Pastures and planted fields around here are full of mounds. Guess they don't do much.

Boy, my eyes must be bad. I thought you had asked what was the best MALE eradicator! :cool:
I let my dogs deal with them. They harassed them so much the moved out of the yard and into the pasture where they weren't a problem. Those that the dogs didn't catch moved. I'd find dead moles in the oddest places.

I let my dogs deal with them. They harassed them so much the moved out of the yard and into the pasture where they weren't a problem. Those that the dogs didn't catch moved. I'd find dead moles in the oddest places.

We found one this morning. We had a rat terrier before we moved her 20 yr.s ago. But this mixed breed acts like one. Of course she digs them up which makes craters instead of mounds. One if about 2 ft deep good place to break a leg or worse. We just walk softly at night and look out in day.

Mine didn't do that much damage. They behaved more like a fox, listened carefully, hopped on the ground, listened some more. That would get repeated until they could pinpoint the location next thing they'd have one. The one used to let them crawl away and start to tunnel again, then he'd grab it again.

Mine didn't do that much damage. They behaved more like a fox, listened carefully, hopped on the ground, listened some more. That would get repeated until they could pinpoint the location next thing they'd have one. The one used to let them crawl away and start to tunnel again, then he'd grab it again.

Mine tucks her tail and runs to let us know she dug another hole. We don't hit our dogs but we scold them verbally. Of course there was one night at 2 am when I threw potatoes at them to teach them the moon is not their enemy.

Dogs are the best fix I have found. Snakes will do a fair job of snatching them but you need a lot of snakes if you have a lot of moles. Black snakes, king snakes and corn snakes are the safest to have around. There is a propane bomb device that I have seen advertised but I have never used one.

Dogs are the best fix I have found. Snakes will do a fair job of snatching them but you need a lot of snakes if you have a lot of moles. Black snakes, king snakes and corn snakes are the safest to have around. There is a propane bomb device that I have seen advertised but I have never used one.

We have a lot of snakes, one was on the porch just a couple days ago. Doesn't happen often but sometimes there are a couple in front yard. Dogs do grab em up now and then and kill them But it scares me one will get bit. Plus we always had snakes eating our eggs.We took them to the woods but if it came back a couple times we had to kill it. Had a pigmy rattler striking at our dogs years ago. I screaming ' NO ' good thing they mind.

I used to have a pit bull that loved to catch them. He'd pile 'em up at the front door! That was in Alabama, I haven't seen any here in Tennessee. It's probably to rocky here where I'm at.

I've used these products which all work.
Sweeney's poison pellets
Tomcat mole killer
Talpirid bait worms (use gloves since moles can smell humans on things we touch)

Instead of going for the moles, have you considered killing their food source which then makes them move away but could then be a problem elsewhere.

It varies by location but find out what's predominant in your area (around here, it's grubs) and then apply insecticide to kill those. No food and the moles move elsewhere.

I used to have a pit bull that loved to catch them. He'd pile 'em up at the front door! That was in Alabama, I haven't seen any here in Tennessee. It's probably to rocky here where I'm at.
We had quite a few just East of you in TN. One of these days I'll give you the address and you can see what we left. Not a bad piece of property.

We have a lot of them too but I think either the snakes or the cats get them. I find them dead around the yard and figure that my cats are getting them.

Ive tried every thing yall mentioned,

If I knew how to place the traps startegicly , I think that would do it for me,

Some one told me to put the trap where they enter the yard , long straight trails, when I do ....it gets them.

That worke, but when all of a sudden these spsghetti trails just appear in the middle of the yard....where to put it?

put it in the spaghetti , but nothing.

Jim

Put a shovel in the tunnel at both ends and dig a little hole in the middle and put your trap over that small hole. I don't know that it will work but at least you can fill your day. ;)

I had read before we got the mole hunters that if you step on the tunnels one day the next day you should be able to tell the main one because they'd go through overnight and fix it.

Exactly! With gun safety top priority though.
When we tear down the garden it usually is us with shovels and shoes when we forget to bring the bird shot. Lol! Then it really is whack a mole! Thankfully the neighbors aren’t close

Not sure if this will work but back your truck up to the hole, connect hose to tail pipe of your truck and leave truck running to see if any moles exit. Exhaust fumes are heavier than air, should fill all the tunnels and force them out. Then it is whack a mole time. At least you should be able to gas out and kill the babies and reduce the population. If anybody has tried this, jump right in and feel free to comment.

I simply use my 22 revolver. On account them pesky rascals make great target practice.then there's my Pomeranian.she'll dig um up if I shoot one. She's even tried doing them up without me shooting at them..

Instead of using your vehicle, get some car flares and use those instead. Lots of toxic smoke and heat to drive them out.

Thats interesting.
I never seen that one.

I'm willing to try anything...they have destroyed my yard ...it's miserable to mow.

Jim

Jim a good rain will level it back up. We need snakes to keep down rodents and birds do also.Whatever we feed these varmets we feed the snakes, birds and beneficial insects.
This is why rats take over major cities all the wildlife has been exterminated.
Sometimes our yard and fields look like they have been mini bombed,but somehow always goes back to normal. Our cats use to catch them sometimes. But no more cats now.

Latest posts

Back