When will we see Rolling Blackouts?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only sensible response to Putin's threat is to suggest he get back in the tub with his rubber duck.

Did you mean "Duck" or something otherwise named "Richard"? Or are those libroid rumors he swings?

Simple soloution, cut off hid food.
That wouldn't work; Russia isn't dependent on the rest of the world. I don't blame Putin per say- this was always going to happen - its a war after all- what annoys me is the people who are leaving it until the last minute to deal with stuff. The minute certain people have made money out of this it will all be dealt with.

Did you mean "Duck" or something otherwise named "Richard"? Or are those libroid rumors he swings?
A real, genuine rubber duck, probably. The common phrase is not explicit, nor does it specify 'methodology'. Never owned a rubber duck of any sort. Mar insisted on a 'get in- get clean-get out' procedure for the Saturday bath. No dickin' around.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/busine...rgy-backup-for-winter/47873578?view=canonical
This has worried my OH more than anything so far. If the Swiss are worried, we should be too
Keyword from the article highlighted below:
"The Swiss government has commandeered eight mobile gas turbines to strengthen the country's energy security."
The 'rest of the story' is, they can be powered by something besides Russian NG :thumbs: :
"They are powered by gas, but also by oil or hydrogen. They will be ready for operation this winter until the end of 2026."

Last edited:
Might want to invest in a kerosene heater and look into making bio diesel for oil burning heaters. its pretty much filtered deep fry grease diluted with high proof alcohol or acetone. I'd use alcohol, less foul fumes.
If it gets that bad I think I'll just drink the alcohol! Have a year at least, of gas in stock, and fuel for heating. Anyone who hasn't done so, either doesn't understand or can't afford to.
@Supervisor42 is right to highlight 'Commandeered. ' If Russia or China did it....the rules are fluid, it appears. Do as I say, not as I do.

Right then, up to me to do the heating oil blend I suppose. I hate excess typing. do all this in a well ventilated area better yet, outdoors.

Heat one gallon of used fry cook oil in a gallon pot to I'm guessing 150 degrees, it will be like water.

Pour it through a strainer like sack cloth or coarse weave cotton, do NOT use a synthetic, it gets out more food bits but clogs easily. return to heat until it bubbles, filter a second time using a cotton bed sheet to get all the gunk out.

Add a quart of 100%proof medical alcohol and 1/4 cup of clear dish-washing soap. continue over low heat until all the blobs are absorbed into the oil. at this point you can now add an ounce of your favorite incense oil and stir well. after it cools, it should be a milky clear color with no blobs. if there are blobs, use a baster to remove them. it just means there was water in the alcohol or too much alcohol to be absorbed. let stand a day, filter one last time and use.

I am old and tired, my parents and siblings are long-time dead, no significant obligations to friends or relatives. If the winter gets too hard to tolerate, maybe I'll bring a handgun downtown with me, and shoot myself while standing in front of town hall. Could be carrying a sign, but I don't know what for. Hmm. It's The Season - That's The Reason.

Well, maybe not.

I am old and tired, my parents and siblings are long-time dead, no significant obligations to friends or relatives. If the winter gets too hard to tolerate, maybe I'll bring a handgun downtown with me, and shoot myself while standing in front of town hall. Could be carrying a sign, but I don't know what for. Hmm. It's The Season - That's The Reason.

Well, maybe not.
That is not something to even jest about... I knew someone who did something like that and it really messed up his kids thinking and anyone who knew him. In today's world saying things like that can get you targeted for a RED FLAG visit or worse...
The people here do care and value your input, keep yourself mentally active and healthy.

Well, maybe not.
No dude, life has meaning! I thought my life was over until I found forums like this and decided if what I knew could save a few lives, it was worth hanging on for. I'm a freaking wreck, All my friends and most of my family are gone, I'm half crippled and can barely go to the store for myself, I haven't dated in twenty years and my best friend might be a hallucination! Dude, if nothing else, every day you live is one more chance to give those who piss you off the finger and laugh! that my friend is as priceless as a fresh dawn!

No dude, life has meaning! I thought my life was over until I found forums like this and decided if what I knew could save a few lives, it was worth hanging on for. I'm a freaking wreck, All my friends and most of my family are gone, I'm half crippled and can barely go to the store for myself, I haven't dated in twenty years and my best friend might be a hallucination! Dude, if nothing else, every day you live is one more chance to give those who piss you off the finger and laugh! that my friend is as priceless as a fresh dawn!
!! WHINE WARNING !!

Hah! I suspect you have a point there, Magus. The past ten years of so, winter and I have not, um, interacted well, and winter's been gaining on me. We'll see how it goes. It ain't people who piss me off, it's mostly snot when I'm trying to sleep. When my mouth opens to take over, I wake up and stay woke up until the nose works again. And it's upper respiratory tract, so it ain't COPD even. I ain't rich, so I can't do winters in Costa Rica.
Whine Over.

I had that. Once I started smoking a cigar a week, it went away for some reason.

Just move to Ga. even here in the north we might get below freezing a week a year. Further south, even less.

Rent a 500$ a month trailer out in the rural areas 4 months a year, hunt some critters, BBQ in the driveway, you'll like it!

Last edited:
I had that. Once I started smoking a cigar a week, it went away for some reason.

Just move to Ga. even here in the north we might get below freezing a week a year. Further south, even less.

Rent a 500$ a month trailer out in the rural areas 4 months a year, hunt some critters, BBQ in the driveway, you'll like it!
My family has been Vermont hillbilly for over 150 years. apparently the roots don't pull. When I was a kid and a young man, I loved living here year-round. Now I'much prefer to live January through March some where south of here; north Georgia would do. My job took me to Flowery Branch Georgia for a few weeks one winter 'back in the day', and it was - decent. Not hillbilly country, but the hills weren't far away. I could leave home right after Christmas, come back just before Easter for the summer and fall, without the tribe worrying about me too much. Yeah well anyway, it don't hurt to dream. Maybe just thinking about will confuse the snot-makers in my head. They can't be all that clever, being as how they are in MY head.

Getting older can be very disconcerting, one tends to have the feeling that just a few days ago that we could do anything, today a neighbor came over and finished splitting the rest of this winters firewood, when he got done I told him that I used to split that amount of wood with a splitting maul, now I'll do good to stack what was split. By the way, my wife tells me to shut up about getting older, just eat what I cook and take your vitamins.

Flowery branch, I've heard of it, is it around Ringgold? Dalton used to be the place to be, but in the last decade it's turned to 💩 Still a great place to get old, everything is within a five mile drive to me. I myself am a Tennessee hillbilly, I yanked my own roots out of the ground the minute I could afford a vehicle. I came here to hang out with my aunt and uncle a week to gear up and go further south. that was 33 years ago. I never did get to the ports,
no reason to go now. as good a place to die as any I guess. :)

I'm not as young as I once was, but I am not willing to go down without a fight.... Last week I carried a 30# pack and bow 2 miles to get into the woods and then climbed 30' up a tree. I was surprised that it wasn't that bad a walk. Even the walk back in the dark wasn't bad, it does take me a little longer, about 35 minutes each way.

On Sunday I oversaw a range day, I saw a guy smoking with his son in tow, son looked to be late 40s or early 50s the dad looked to be about 80, gray, thin, shaky. I went over to tell the dad that I didn't allow smoking on the firing line, but if he stepped away to finish his cig I would make sure he kept his place. Later, he and I were talking and I asked him how old he was, I about fainted, he is 3 months older than me. G#$, I hope that other people see me like that!

No, If I can avoid any big injuries and keep moving, I want to live till I die.........

!! WHINE WARNING !!

Hah! I suspect you have a point there, Magus. The past ten years of so, winter and I have not, um, interacted well, and winter's been gaining on me. We'll see how it goes. It ain't people who piss me off, it's mostly snot when I'm trying to sleep. When my mouth opens to take over, I wake up and stay woke up until the nose works again. And it's upper respiratory tract, so it ain't COPD even. I ain't rich, so I can't do winters in Costa Rica.
Whine Over.
Whine away; are we not all here to listen & support?
I have **** days (is that classed as swearing here? apologies!) looking at some posts here others have it worse than most. But don't give in- as written by Welsh poet Dylan Thomas
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Flowery branch, I've heard of it, is it around Ringgold? Dalton used to be the place to be, but in the last decade it's turned to 💩 Still a great place to get old, everything is within a five mile drive to me. I myself am a Tennessee hillbilly, I yanked my own roots out of the ground the minute I could afford a vehicle. I came here to hang out with my aunt and uncle a week to gear up and go further south. that was 33 years ago. I never did get to the ports,
no reason to go now. as good a place to die as any I guess. :)
Dunno what Flowery Branch is near. 'Twas a long time ago I was there. Flew into Atlanta, drove north and some east for quite a while to get there. Seems like it was near the South Carolina border, but maybe not. I remember looking at a map, and seeing the southern end of the Appalachians nearby to the northwest. Guess I oughta look at a map again. if I'm going to dream about wintering down there.

Whine away; are we not all here to listen & support?
I have **** days (is that classed as swearing here? apologies!) looking at some posts here others have it worse than most. But don't give in- as written by Welsh poet Dylan Thomas
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Sorry, Dylan Old Sock, all that sounds tiring-for no gain. My plan is to laugh with - not at - the Coming Of The Night. Sufficiently medicated as necessary, ready to smile as God shakes my hand in that universe beyond this one, that this life has been a tune-up for.

Yeah!

Sorry, Dylan Old Sock, all that sounds tiring-for no gain. My plan is to laugh with - not at - the Coming Of The Night. Sufficiently medicated as necessary, ready to smile as God shakes my hand in that universe beyond this one, that this life has been a tune-up for.

Yeah!
Nobody wants to talk about the end. It is forbidden :(.
I know how much suffering awaits me. Somewhere between 78 and 80 will be more than enough for me.
I did so much, for so many, for so many years, everything has "high-miles" on it.
I'm reminded of that famous line in the movie: "Blade Runner"...
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very, very brightly Roy."
And you didn't think I could get back on topic:):
Rolling blackouts are coming for everybodygaahand will put their lights out!

Last edited:
You will see the rolling black-outs as the power fails to meet the need.
If you have no need you may not notice...

I know how much suffering awaits me. Somewhere between 78 and 80 will be more than enough for me.
I did so much, for so many, for so many years, everything has "high-miles" on it.
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very, very brightly Roy."
We humans have been messing with Earth, and Gaia is going to mess with us.

There's a reason to be concerned about cyber attacks. I heard this on talk radio today via a different source. Of coarse, that threat has always been there......it just seems more likely with this administration IMHO.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/14/iranian-hackers-00056627
As with anything these days......don't ask how it could get any worse! Because you WILL get an answer......and it won't be good.

Latest posts

Back