Who remembers these prices?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NannyPatty

nannypattyrn
Neighbor
It's hard for me to believe that these prices were thought to be "high"!
1969 grocery ad, Ada, Okla.jpg

Attachments

• 1504923593285.jpg
    1504923593285.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 69
OK. What is it with all these "Do You Remember" threads? You people trying to remind us all how old we're getting? :p :D

We're secretly trying to figure out if there are any millennials around here.
paranoid.gif

Uh err umm so we can give them participation trophies, yeah that's it. Participation trophies.

I saved a few green stamps myself in my early married life. My hubs remembers his mom saving the bath towels out of the soap boxes and him using them until they were thread bare. I collected stone ware dishes a couple of times. We also used jelly glasses to drink out of and he used his g-moms snuff glasses for juice glasses. I guess i probably am millennial....

I do remember these days...

1950-gas-wars-800x600.jpg

izNOaQX.png

Jim

Those were the days when you could put burnt motor oil on mangy dogs without killing. Today it will kill a dog so many additives in the oil.
Mama was self appointed humane society,she'd pick up mangy strays and rub them down with burnt oil. Gas stations use to save the motor oil and give it to you.

Long ago some enterprising sailor was charging the bars in the Philippines for Safety and Health inspection and giving them S&H green stamps as proof of passing the inspection.
More stamps they bought the higher their rating.
I figured it was a true story because I asked why there was S&H stamps on the mirror behind the bar.
When he was found out he had to stay on the ship so the bar owners couldn't get him.
Never pays to make cheat mamasan.

Minimum wage in 1950 was .75 an hour.

we were still using green stamps in PA in the 90s.
I grew up fast because I'm the youngest in a big family and I had the interesting examples of my siblings to follow and learn from. (clearing throat).
Penny candy still exists? I remember penny candy being 2 pieces of candy for a penny! Remember getting in line for gas? For hours?
But we still have pencils.

When I was a kid, my dad would give me 75 cents and send me to the deli to get 25 cents worth of american cheese and a regular sized bag of Wise potato chips. I was allowed to spend the change on penny candy. Have you noticed you have to use the "symbol" feature these days to type in the cent sign? I actually had a staff member ask me not too long ago what it meant!

Now no-one can guess my age because I am in Australia unless you do a fair bit of research @Sentry18 :D .

I remember as a child going down to the local store and buying a big brown paper bag of lollies for 20c, my first ever wage was $180 a week, DH & I remember fuel being between .40 - .50 c per litre, I remember in my early schooling working with imperial and then changing over to metric measurement as part of the confused generation.

I must be as old as dirt as I remember all those prices as far back as 1954 when I was 6and if it wasn't for green stamps the kids would not have had christmas.heck I even remember mom getting dishs and silverware from boxs of soap and flowered flour sacks to make us the girls dress,s and the boys shirts in those days they put everything in products to sell their wares

Latest posts

Back