Wingnut's kitchen renovation project

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnut

Rogue Dinosaur
Neighbor
Okay, I started the prep work on the kitchen, and as usual, the "half-hour estimate" turned into 3-1/2 hours, lol. After a cursory glance, I figured I just needed to do some caulking and fill nail & screw holes, but that wasn't the case. Prep work on these rehab fixer homes is always like opening a can of worms: as you're knocking out one task, ya notice something else that needs to be done, ad infinitum. That's why these fixer homes are so cheap, they've been neglected hard over time and there's ALWAYS more to do than you expected, lol. I also have my own standards when it comes to rehab work, and I only wanna fix stuff ONCE, aye? So I take the extra time and make the extra effort to bring the fixer home up to speed and make it truly livable. Anyway, I handled most of the prep work today, so I'll be able to start rolling as soon as I cover the counters, appliances, floors, etc. However, I won't roll out the ceiling and walls until Sunday at the earliest, I have to do some laundry tomorrow, exchange library books & resupply with beer, lol. I took a few shots so y'all will have "before & after pics" of this kitchen project, and you'll see how cool it looks once I get those decorative lighthouse plates & art tiles mounted on the wall. Most of those plates & tiles will go up on the wall in this first photo... other shots show minor water damage which occurred before I bought the home, those leaks were fixed when I swapped out roof vents. There's more of that ugly factory wallpaper I mentioned in my bathroom renovation project, my kitchen should look much better once it's painted white and the decorative plates & art tiles are on the wall(s). Here we go... 😒

IMG_9794.JPG

IMG_9795.JPG

IMG_9796.JPG

IMG_9797.JPG

IMG_9798.JPG

IMG_9800.JPG

IMG_9801.JPG

IMG_9802.JPG

IMG_9804.JPG

IMG_9803.JPG

Okay, that's the worst of the ugliness, lol... hopefully much of it will disappear as I work my home rehab magic on the kitchen. I've already decided to schedule at least one full day for each major appliance (oven & refrigerator), pulling each appliance out of its nook, cleaning, prepping & painting the area, and pushing the appliance back into place afterward. A lot of people would not bother to do this, but I'm not a lot of people... I want those appliance nooks sparkling clean with fresh primer & paint on the walls behind 'em, full-on Lee Ermey style, lol. That last pic shows the stout wooden floor patch which I never painted or covered with vinyl: both those things will happen this time around, so I may dedicate more than one full day to the fridge nook. At least that framed floor patch is stout, the thing is friggin' bombproof, courtesy of an excellent carpenter who knocked out that task. I'm not a bad carpenter myself, but I'm glad that guy was here to help me with this framed floor patch, since he did a great job on it. The former damage was due to another water leak, this time the nearby water heater (in a cabinet or utility nook on the other side of that wall). Alright, I gotta go water before it gets dark, but I'll be back like a bad rash to field any comments or observations, lol... 😉

P.S. I removed the glass globes from the light fixtures and cleaned them, so they'll be ready to go back up as soon as the painting is finished. Those glass globes were DIRTY, probably from decades of kitchen steam and whatnot, lol. I had to scrub 'em pretty hard to get 'em back to normal, but that's alright... the task probably wasn't done since the home was built, lol. Little by little, I'll bring this former tweeker palace up to speed and make it PRIMO, aye? :cool:

Last edited:
Looking at those pics again, I'm reminded of Lee Ermey pulling inspection of troops in the classic 'FULL METAL JACKET' flick directed by Stanley Kubrick: "TOE JAM!!!" :oops:

Gotta love the DINGINESS of the walls & ceiling in the kitchen, not only due to the cr@ppy factory wallpaper, but also due to the tired old ceiling with its yellowish hue, lol... :rolleyes:

This is where it pays to use CREATIVE VISUALIZATION in these home rehab projects: ya gotta be able to visualize how the room will look AFTER you're done with it, aye? ;)

Funny how these neglected rooms can go from ABSOLUTE TRAIN WRECK to PRIMO NAUTICAL & WESTERN DECOR in a few days, lol... but there's work involved in the transition. 😬

I'm really looking forward to seeing me dear departed mum's decorative lighthouse plates & art tiles on those walls in the kitchen, she was a good cook before I assumed those culinary duties at a young age... 😒

I can't think of a better place to honor me dear departed mum than my kitchen, since I don't have a music hall in my home... she cooked for such a large family for years, I want to remember and honor her for this undying labor of love. 😎

It already looks better than my house. Imagine if 1974 threw up in your house, needs gutting. My first task was rewiring the whole down stairs, a complete mess, it's safe now. I put down new flooring, the rest needs to go, ceilings, walls, everything down to the studs. In for a penny, might as well move a couple walls while I'm at it. Not happening anytime soon.

Anyway, keep posting!

I shall do that, Peanut, my friend! I want folks (especially younger folks who are perhaps buying their first home) to know that there is a way to make these fixer homes shine, and also boost the value (as in "sweat equity"). It takes hard work, there's no way around that fact, but if ya pace yourself and knock out one task at a time, it'll eventually get done. I was surprised when I realized that this kitchen might be the hardest room in the house to rehab, but I'm gonna stick to my plan and git 'er done, lol. One thing is certain: when those walls & ceiling are painted white and decorated, those wooden cabinets are gonna stand out and look good, especially after I treat 'em again with some love (and home rehab products, lol). The cabinetry isn't bad in this home, and even though the masking will be a PITA once I start "cutting in" all corners, the end result shall be AWESOME, lol. Wait till you see some of the nautical decor going up in this kitchen... you of ALL persons should be able to appreciate it, lol. Said from one hardcore sailor to another, aye? And I want ya to pipe up if ya see anything that looks amiss, lol... but I'm pretty sure you'll be pleased with the results of my labor. :cool:

P.S. The four remaining cats will also be adding their input, but yours shall rank higher when it comes to nautical art, lol. ;)

Last edited:
@Wingnut you’re not going to paint the cabinets? There are similar style in my bathroom and kitchen but a slightly darker stain and they look so ugly/outdated. If I owned this place I’d likely paint the cabinets, brighten it up a bit. Few windows in this “contemporary “ style home, but there are also darkening screens on them. Summer is dark in the house, weird.

No, I'm gonna leave the cabinets the way they are, they're not that dark and they're still in good overall shape, so I see no reason to paint them. Same goes for the wooden paneling, I have that large window over the sink and it lightens things up quite a bit... once the walls & ceiling are white there will be plenty of natural light in the kitchen. There's a window on the door leading into the mud room, which also has windows, so there's more than one source of natural light in the kitchen. Now, I've painted cabinets before, and paneling too, lol, but I see no reason to do that here. I left wooden paneling in place in the Great Room (living room, dining room and bar area combined), and you can see in the photo below that there's plenty of natural light, even with an overcast day outside. When the sun is shining, this place lights up quite nicely, which is exactly how I want it, lol. I like plenty of natural light in my home, that's why I also recommend installing all window A/C units directly into walls... this home has central A/C, but if it had window units, they'd already be mounted directly into the walls. Here's that pic, taken as I sit at the dining room table and enjoy a cold beer... :cool:

IMG_9810.JPG

P.S. This manufactured home ('83) is 14' x 80', so there's actually more room inside than the photo would suggest... that TV is 25' or 30' away from me as I sit here at the dining room table, lol. Now that the bathrooms are done, I need to move that seahorse, and put that elephant on a lower shelf... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Alright, I FINALLY made it to this thread, which delay doesn't bode well for the BBQ scene, but that's okay, the marinated pork loin wrapped in applewood-smoked bacon can always WAIT, lol. I'm still dealing with the aftereffects of priming the kitchen for 6 or 7 hours. Wait, that's not quite accurate: I prepped for 1-1/2 hours, rolled out primer and dealt with ugly Greek Mythology tasks for what? 5 hours? Then cleaned up for 1/2 hour, so y'all do the math, lol. 🤔

Meh, lemme just post these pics of today's brutal & thankless slog, the pics taken at odd intervals while I was:

A) Shifting the plastic sheets around for maximum protection... 😒

B) Throwing down old newspapers because I didn't have enough plastic sheets, go figure... 😬

C) Dealing with Greek Mythology tasks which unexpectedly arose during home rehab... who would've THUNK it? 😳

D) Occasionally taking a PHAT & WELL-DESERVED P!$$, lol... 😉

E) Grabbing another beer, or ALL OF THE ABOVE... 🤪

IMG_9859.JPG

IMG_9860.JPG

IMG_9861.JPG

IMG_9862.JPG

IMG_9863.JPG

IMG_9864.JPG

IMG_9865.JPG

IMG_9866.JPG

IMG_9867.JPG

IMG_9868.JPG

Okay, there's some explainin' to do, LOL... that ugly Pic #9 of the tumor-lookin' thang hangin' outta my kitchen ceiling is just some crack-fillin' foam BS I used to try to fill a hole which developed in the worst area of water damage. Tomorrow, I shall take razor knife, scraper & gritty sandpaper to that whole area, maybe even hit it again a few times to smooth it all out, then hit it again with primer to make sure the final topcoat goes on nicely with no problems. Worst-case scenario, I use a fiberglass kit to deal with that ugliest of all kitchen rehab problems, but I don't think I'll need it, lol. 🙄

An earlier shot showed the burly framed wooden floor patch installed by the excellent carpenter I mentioned in a previous post... I already slapped some primer on that patch, as y'all can see, and I will cut in the edges with both primer & topcoat before I apply the adhesive vinyl floor strips to that area. That floor patch is really strong, since it was framed up to perfectly fit the hole left by past water damage. There WAS a steel plate under the fridge to help support it, but that was no longer needed once the patch was installed with burly screws angled into the frame, lol. I'm talkin' BULLETPROOF, lol. 🤔

Alright, that's it for now, dunno if the BBQ action will happen this evening, though it MIGHT since I'm feeling better, thanks to the goldurned TEQUILA added to the BUSTHEAD CIDER, lol. Maybe that stiffness & soreness from working at weird angles in the kitchen will MELT AWAY and no longer pose a problem, lol. Damn, it SUCKS to grow OLD, but then again, the friggin' ALTERNATIVE ain't so HOT either, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! And lemme tell ya, if you're gonna PUSH UP DAISIES in the high desert, it'll be a JOB OF WORK, I guarantee it, lol. Better bring yer lunch, because it'll be an ALL-DAY JOB, LOL. 😐

Last edited:
Okay, the BBQ action is OUT, it's too late to deal with it anyway, but the PAR-TAY ACTION is still ON, lol... this tequila is really helping to BOOST my overall attitude on life, I'm thinking it AIN'T SO BAD AFTER ALL, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! 🤪

Oh, no, we're still hung up on the Greek Mythology... haven't you two ever read about the adventures of Oddyseus, Perseus, Hercules, et al? PUH-LEEZ tell me that your edumacation was NOT so sorely neglected, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! 😱

I have an idea... let's go to Baja instead! See this pic, where I've painted over some dingy old socket plate? Well, in MY separate reality, to do so is to "Baja" a project, making the dingy old plate look like something outta B.C., Mexico, lol. 😒

IMG_9870.JPG

It'll look better once the topcoat goes on manana, lol... but this is how I extend the life of dingy old switch plates & socket plates, "10-DASH-FO'???" Meh, why NOT do it, y'all already know that I'm a CHEAP B@STARD, lol. 😬

Some of you may actually wonder where I picked up that expression... way back in the day, while perusing a climbing mag, I saw a classic ad which showed some young climber eating a makeshift dog taco with extra hot sauce on it, lol. 😲

The photo caption read: "HE MAY BE A CHEAP B@STARD, BUT HE CLIMBED 279 DAYS OUT OF LAST YEAR!!!" Or words to that effect, lol. For some ridiculous reason, that ad has stuck with me over the decades... bad karma, no doubt. 😕

Well, today I have things a little easier, I'm just gonna tackle those trouble spots so they're ready for a topcoat manana... that ugliness over the kitchen sink is the worst trouble spot, might rate as Norse Mythology instead of Greek Mythology. 😳

Those critters in Greek Mythology are bad enough, but some of those Norse critters are downright mean & ugly! Okay, I'm off to make a big ol' breakfast burrito, folding the last of the chicken burrito mix into some scrambled eggs... 😎

Last edited:
Dangit, Dademoss, yer keeping me from making that breakfast burrito, lol... I gotta get on that task, I'm startin' to get hungry, yeah? This goldurned beer I've been nursing has lasted 1-1/2 hours, lol. :oops:

P.S. I may be here in Alamo until I DIE... once that happens, I won't be worried about any curse put on me, lol. ;)

A word or two about those old newspapers: when I was a long-haul truck driver, I collected newspapers from various small towns & big cities nationwide. I'd bring 'em home so my family & friends could check 'em out, then I put 'em in some sturdy apple boxes as a way of keeping 'em in storage. Now, decades later, I am slowly working my way through the assortment, mainly to line my kitchen trash can, lol... but I'm clipping classic headlines & stories and sending 'em to my best friend in Coronado, as a way of reliving the past. The old news is much better than the modern propaganda, you understand. There's still some propaganda involved, but I don't clip that cr@p, I just clip the humorous or interesting headlines and articles. It's funny too, retroactively seeing how things panned out... or didn't pan out, lol. Scumbag politicians haven't changed much, they're still bought & sold like so many branded & ear-tagged cattle. The last batch of clippings I sent to my friend had a story on the death of "Ol' Blue Eyes" (Frank Sinatra), as well as a story of the death of JFK, Jr. (another ZOG CIA hit). I also sent some cool travel pics & articles... just my way of stylin' out my friend, who has done so much for me over the years. I use large mailing envelopes, and the postage doesn't add up to much. Maybe it's like living in the past, but frankly, the past was WAY MO' BETTAH than what I'm seeing in this country nowadays... 😒

I saw mention of pics/photos and kitchen so I had to come here. Those are some really neat cabinets.

Loved reading the mythologies when I was younger. We had a lot of books when I was a kid so I got to read a lot of stuff and I also watched some tv shows that borrowed from mythology-- like Hercules. We read some in high school. Jason and the Golden Fleece is a pretty popular story. The TV shows never seemed to mention how Madea, who killed her own brother for Jason, ended up killing her own kids with him AND murdered his 14-yr-old bride that he dumped her for. Something about gold clothes that melted on her when she put them on.

Mythology is part entertainment with elements of the writers were smoking some hard drugs.

Yes, I'm gearing up to do some more painting today, rolling out some topcoat after I address a few trouble spots. Just sitting here having a cold beer for breakfast, trying to work up the 'Dutch Courage' to tackle the project. I need to do this today, as the outdoor temps are ratcheting up and, even with the A/C, I'm not gonna wanna deal with this BS during a big ol' heat wave. Cutting in corners, maybe, but I'd like to be done with the rolling today. I'll be glad when this last interior room is painted... I don't plan on painting the mud room, not this year anyway, it can stay as it is, since it's mainly used for storage and utility. I'll just be glad when the kitchen is done and I can relax over the heat of summer. 🥵

I don't blame you. I have a bunch of bottles of water in the spare fridge (the one we were going to get rid of but decided to keep for longer). I need to clean it out better at some point. Still has dead bugs from when the power went out for a few weeks.

The humidity is horrible for paint curing, but hopefully you will get it all done. Wish I was in your area bc I'd give you a hand with that.

Stay cool and I look forward to seeing the progress.

Humidity is NOT a problem here... in fact, we need rain, and the NOAA weather forecast shows no sign of rain in the next week, even though we're technically in the "monsoon season." I reckon those gubmint scumbags and their stinking globalist overlords are messin' with the weather again... tryin' to put the hurt on folks with this ongoing drought. :mad:

The dirty swine... but meh, I still had a productive day, knocking out some SE-WIOUS paint rolling, lol, and my kitchen looks SO MUCH BETTER already! I'm not sure whether I've broken the back of the job, but it's definitely FRACTURED, lol. Now I get to kick back with a handheld Pelican paint pot in hand, going around to prime & topcoat all the corners... 😒

Remember that ugly tumor-lookin' spot on the kitchen ceiling? Well, you won't recognize it now, but I'm not done with it either, I'm gonna slap that thing around till it stands at attention like 'Pvt. Joker' in front of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, lol. But at least it looks one helluva lot better than it did before, lol... it was downright ugly first thing this morning, yeah? :oops:

Okay, lemme post some pics of today's progress, it was another LONNNNNG DAY of ladder & countertop work, but I wore my Vans Slip-Ons and they did the job... I actually have an extra pair of older climbing boots I could wear, but then I'd get "tunnel toes" doing the vertical work, lol. Better to stick with the Vans and SUFFER, lol... could be worse!!! :eek:

Alright, lemme get on those goldurned pics... I started out with a few cold beers this morning, but toward the end, I went ahead and mixed some wicked tequila/busthead cider combo, knowing that it wouldn't kick in before I was done rolling out the paint, lol. So it's all good here at the ol' hacienda, and I'm enjoying another wicked combo drink as I type, lol. :cool:

HERE WE GO WITH THE GOLDURNED PICS... REMEMBER THIS UGLY SPOT FROM BEFORE? 😲

IMG_9913.JPG

IMG_9914.JPG

Well, after some sanding, further scraping & razor knife work, here's an intermediate shot of the trouble spot, lol... 🙄

IMG_9915.JPG

NOT BAD, AYE? But I'm still gonna work on that spot and make it sweet... by the time I'm done, it'll blend in like a friggin' chameleon, lol. Any FOOLIOT who even NOTICES the spot afterward will be summarily DROP-KICKED like I'm STARRIN' in the NFL, yeah? Person needs to "GET A LIFE, 10-DASH-FO'???" A good-looking gal once told me to do this... 🤣

IMG_9917.JPG

IMG_9919.JPG

IMG_9920.JPG

Now, that last shot shows some sorta glare on the framed galleon tile art over my bar (which was being used as a temporary feeding station for the cats, lol), but that glare doesn't actually exist, the galleon looks BAD@$$ right now as I look at it. I was just trying to show y'all how the "long view" will be in this 80' manufactured home, kinda like a ship itself, lol... 🏴‍☠️

IMG_9921.JPG

Looking BETTER, yeah? But again, I'm not DONE with this project YET, lol. I now have 10 days till my birthday at the end of the month, so I can take a day or two off while I finish the "cutting in" of corners, and whatever other trim work has to be done. I'm just SO HAPPY that this is the LAST ROOM to be done, lol. Here's that pesky trouble spot again... 😬

IMG_9922.JPG

IMG_9923.JPG

Remember, I'm not DONE with that BAD BOY yet, lol... I'm gonna SCHOOL the F#%TARD till it NEVER bothers me AGAIN, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! And before I'm finished, that trouble spot will look like the latest Penthouse Pet, lol. Well, maybe not QUITE as good, but DARNED CLOSE!!! And of course I'm a MALE CHAUVINIST PIG, lol... 🤪

Last edited:
Ya know, Bacpacker, that's what I LIKE about ya, you're sufficiently "clued in" to see where this whole project is going, lol. Remember THIS, my friend: YOU ARE ALWAYS WELCOME HERE, and that also applies to the other COOL FOLKS at this website. Pearl, Peanut, et al... don't let me find out that y'all took a stinking hotel or motel room as you were passing through this area, PFFFFFFFT!!! Cheaper to pitch in for beer & BBQ here at the ol' hacienda, LOL. 😎

Be careful what ya wish for. We may take a trip out to Grand Canyon and around the southwest after retirement. Last time we went took us right thru New Mexico on I 40. Even got to see the big Ballon Launch on our way back.

I'm closer to I-10, but you & yours are STILL WELCOME HERE, my friend. I ain't no punk to make FALSE PROMISES, ya know? You've EARNED my RESPECT, bro... don't ever forget that I'm FAMOUS for my hospitality (in my own small circle, that is, lol). Nobody leaves my house hungry, nobody leaves my house tired, etc. That to me is the TRUE MEANING of HOSPITALITY, yeah? You can always camp out in the yard, stone fire ring and all, lol. Just don't mind the ants, scorpions, rattlers, etc. LOL. :cool:

P.S. If ya bring any kind of RV with ya, we can hook ya up and style ya out on this half-acre lot, lol... 🏕️

"ALBERCRACKY!!!" 🤣

Boy, ain't THAT the TRUTH, lol... I wouldn't wanna live anywhere NEAR that friggin' DUMP, lol. 😬

Nothin' but GANGBANGERS and OTHER assorted TRASH in that hellhole, lol... 😒

Just remember that you're welcome here, that's all I gotta say, lol... 😎

Oh, yeah, before I log out and go water the trees & plants, and just in case any tards couldn't figure out the "Triple M" number, that's my 'METAL MULISHA MICROWAVE' with the German helmet, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :thumbs:

IMG_9930.JPG

Thing is a bit scarred up after recent relocations, lol... "recent" meaning within the past decade, AYE??? ;)

Boy, I love how bright my kitchen is already, it looks so much better with the topcoat on there! Not gonna "cut in" any corners today, I'm taking a break and I don't wanna even SEE a goldurned paintbrush, lol. Nice cold beer right now, maybe a good Western later along with some decent leftovers... no major plans for the day. This is the 21st, right? First day of summer... so I'm still looking good as far as my self-imposed schedule goes. Tomorrow I'll start "cutting in" corners, I'm gonna use the Kilz2 as primer because I only have 1/2 gallon of Behr topcoat left, I'm hoping it'll be enough to finish the job... 😬

That Kilz2 isn't a bad product, even though (as Amish says) it smells kinda funky when it's wet... but once it's cured and coated with the Behr paint, no worries. I'll probably have a gallon or so of the Kilz2 left over once I'm done with the kitchen, but I can always use it up when I paint the exterior this fall, or possibly next spring. I'm glad I bought TWO 5-gallon buckets of that Kilz2 to do this home, it sure sucked up some primer while I was painting the interior. I'm pleased with the results though, and I shouldn't have to paint the interior again... I'll be dead or I'll sell the home before it needs paint again, lol. ;)

Last edited:
Progress!!! Spent 5 hours masking and "cutting in" corners, first with primer and then with topcoat. I actually hammered out about half the remaining work today, all I have left is the east wall with the appliance nooks, plus that corner where the fridge is situated. I went ahead and cut in the regular overhead corners on the east & south walls, the ones which did NOT require masking, but I still have to mask the cabinetry on the east wall. And though the masking was clean in some areas, other areas left something to be desired, so I may buy some caulk and run a bead along any corner that looks cheesy, just to clean everything up at the end of the project. Anyway, I've taken a second shower, I'm kicking it with a cold beer in the A/C, and it feels GOOD to be OFF my feet, lol. Here are some pics of today's work:

IMG_9943.JPG

IMG_9944.JPG

IMG_9945.JPG

IMG_9946.JPG

IMG_9947.JPG

IMG_9948.JPG

There are some shadows from window glare in the last two pics, plus I need to put more paint in those ceiling grooves in the final pic, lol. You can see how I still have to mask the cabinets on the east wall and paint around 'em, same goes for that one side of the door near the fridge. First pic shows what I'm now calling the 'Lighthouse Wall'---that's where all the decorative lighthouse plates & art tiles are going when it's time to decorate. In Pic #3, me beloved & dear departed mum already faces the 'Lighthouse Wall' (her photo is on the pantry cabinet door), so she can see all her lighthouse plates & art tiles, yeah? Somehow, that seems perfectly appropriate. All this masking and trim work is a monumental PITA, but I'm gettin' it done, and once I'm finished, the kitchen should look pretty nice. Better than it did, that's for sure, lol... ;)

P.S. That old toaster oven next to 'Triple M' (the Metal Mulisha Microwave) is one I bought for me mum 25 or 30 years ago, no lie. I think it was made in the U.S., which is why it has lasted so long, lol. It's starting to look a bit worse for wear, but it still works great! And y'all know I'm a cheap b@stard, I'll use that ol' beat-up toaster oven until it goes kaput... goldurned thing just might outlive me, though I'll look better as a corpse, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Damn, sometimes I slay myself... the stainless steel microwave is only about a decade old, should be lots of life left in that thing. Round here, appliances are like vehicles: I ride all of 'em into the dirt for maximum mileage, lol. No point in buying a new one while Biden is in office... maybe after the next election, if that fraudulent criminal scumbag is history, lol. CHEERS!!! :cool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back