Cigars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife suggested that I grow a small patch of tobacco to make my own cigars. It's a thought but I'd imagine getting enough "perfect" leaves out of a small patch would require a lot of attention to the plants keeping bugs off, etc. I was taught how to roll them years ago as a "venue" thing to do on a vacation in the Bahamas. So, I have that part of the process covered. Doubt I'll do it but it could be a fun thing to try.

Wife suggested that I grow a small patch of tobacco to make my own cigars. It's a thought but I'd imagine getting enough "perfect" leaves out of a small patch would require a lot of attention to the plants keeping bugs off, etc. I was taught how to roll them years ago as a "venue" thing to do on a vacation in the Bahamas. So, I have that part of the process covered. Doubt I'll do it but it could be a fun thing to try.

Can you use the same tobacco for all three parts? Filler, Binder, Wrapper? I guess it would work. Most cigars are a blend of tobaccos, but it would be interesting to see how it went.

Can you use the same tobacco for all three parts? Filler, Binder, Wrapper? I guess it would work. Most cigars are a blend of tobaccos, but it would be interesting to see how it went.
The wrapper just has to be a perfect leaf picked at just the right time and dried carefully to ensure it stays strong and flexible. It is usually one of the upper leaves. The rest can be from the same plant and you can get a "blend" of flavor in just cure process, pick time, etc. If I give it a try, I'd probably get a couple varieties of tobacco to play with blending flavors. I'd probably try things like misting them with whiskey while drying as I love a whiskey dipped cigar.

Here is a link on infusing cigars. I have never tried it, but I want to. Looks pretty easy.

Here is a link on infusing cigars. I have never tried it, but I want to. Looks pretty easy.

Might have to try that with some Brandy

Most cigars are blends from multiple countries. But like BB described, timing, cure time, even plants grown on different sides of a hill, or different elevations. I know nothing about rolling a stoogie, but it would be an interesting trail I would think having multipe varites would add a lot to the blend.

Might have to try that with some Brandy

Most cigars are blends from multiple countries. But like BB described, timing, cure time, even plants grown on different sides of a hill, or different elevations. I know nothing about rolling a stoogie, but it would be an interesting trail I would think having multipe varites would add a lot to the blend.

I have seen some You Tube videos where people have done it in a regular cigar box. Next time I go to the cigar bar I am going to pick up a couple of wooden boxes and give it a try. FYI I just got an email from Cigars International. They have Nub on sale 40% off.

I tried a different Oliva yesterday. Shaped much like a Nub. I think it was a 4 x 60. It was really good, smooth as silk. I smoked it down to about an inch long, never did get hot or bitter. I'll sure be getting some more of those.

Where do yall get your's from? I almost always get mine at a local shop, but there selection isn't all that great. The shop I used to frequent was no bigger, but had a huge variety to pick from.
I just found out about a online store I have an order placed with to try out.

Cigars Online | Best Prices at Cigar Place | Cigars, Humidors, Lighters
This is the shop I worked at 25 years ago in college. Still there, still going strong. It's two hours away from me now, but it's still my first choice if I were to buy a cigar...
http://www.hillstreetnewscf.com/

I have seen some You Tube videos where people have done it in a regular cigar box. Next time I go to the cigar bar I am going to pick up a couple of wooden boxes and give it a try. FYI I just got an email from Cigars International. They have Nub on sale 40% off.
I just got an order in yesterday. It contained a 5 pack of Nub Maduro's and a couple of Kentucky Wood Fired's I wanted to check out. Got a second order on the way too. I got a certificate with the first order for $20 as a first time buyer. That was almost what I paid for the order. I'm pleased with them to this point. PAcked nice and tight, sealed in plastic with a boveda pack in the wrapping.

Looks like cool place Spike

Good day on the ciage front yesterday. Wife and I had a nice fire around the fire pit yesterday afternoon before the rain came back. I smoked a Punch Classico. I picked up a couple my last trip to the cigar store and gave one to my BIL for our Thanksgiving/Christmas get together. He raved about it. So I smoked the other yesterday. I gotta say it was a nice stick. Smooth, kinda medium body for a maduro wrapper, never got hot, even held the ash well. For a 6" cigar only ashed it twice.
Yesterday morning onpened the door to take the dog out and the PO had delivered some boxes. Cut into mine and it was an order from CigarPlace.com. But when I got into it none of the cigars were what I had ordered. Had 14 total in it, 2 pairs of different Oliva runs, 2 Partagas 1845 classico's, and 4 pairs of different Don Pepin Garcia runs. I knew something was up and expected they put the shipping label on the wrong box. So I went to their website to look at shipping info. My order had been shipped and tracking showed as delivered, but there was another order listed too, which is what I received. The box with my order hasn't delivered yet. (Our PO is a total wreck since CV19 hit, whole nuther story there). Anyway I sent a email to customer service asking about the mystery box, and saw the hours were M-F 9-5, so I didn't expect to hear back until tomorrow. By the time I came in last night and got back on the puter they had sent me a email detailing what was going on. They shipped me the box of 14 as a thank you for placing a 2nd order so quickly after getting the first. Nothing more than that. IMO, just flat out GOOD customer service. Haven't tried any out yet, but I'm certain 3 of the 7 bundles will be very good. I love Oliva, never had Partagas, but have one to try in the box yet to be delivered. They have a reputation of being very good too. The others I'm not sure what to expect. I'm gonna half them with my BIL and let him try them out too.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me. I've gotta admit, I was always one knocking them off all the time. But it is interesting how some will produce a very long ash, while other don't hold much of one at all.

What is your ground rules? Length and Ring Gauge?

Sounds good to me. I've gotta admit, I was always one knocking them off all the time. But it is interesting how some will produce a very long ash, while other don't hold much of one at all.

What is your ground rules? Length and Ring Gauge?
We've done it two ways, (1) use your favorite cigar or (2) everyone smokes the same cigar. The only rule is that you have to smoke the cigar sitting up...you can't smoke it laying on your back with the cigar sticking straight up into the air.

LOL Never saw anyone smoke one laying down.
Well, not exactly laying down, but keeping your cigar in a vertical position during the contest.
1670802453804.png

Count me in. I will take it we are all on the honor system reporting how long an ash we can create. I have seen some cigar clubs that have contests like these. I have never seen how far I can go, I guess mainly because I don't want the ash falling on my shirt, but I can be careful.

I would like to see more of the details or rules, but it sounds like fun.

My final order at this point came in. I got a Nub sampler pack, once each Conneticutwrapper, habano, maduro, and camaroon,
one CAO consigliere, one Partagus Black Label Colossal, and one Cohiba Blue 7x70.

I've had all the Nub's before and really like them, just got them at a decent price for something I know I'll smoke at some point. The others I have heard recommendations that all three are top notch. Hopefully they suit my taste.

Couple questions come to mind. What are you using for a humidore? Traditional wooden case or something else?
How do you determine whether you want to try something new or not?

What are you using for a humidore? Traditional wooden case or something else?
How do you determine whether you want to try something new or not?

I have two. Both are traditional wooden boxes. I will look on line for reviews before I try something new, and by new I mean a brand I have never smoked. Many times you can find a review on You Tube. If it is a brand I am familiar with I am reasonably sure I will like most of what they have. I have never been disappointed with a Perdomo, Oliva, Arturo Fuente, Partiga, Cohiba.

There have been reviews I disagreed with, but only one was a disappointment. I did not care for Brickhouse. It had good reviews, and it wasn't bad, but there are quite a few I would smoke before I bought another one.

I've been watching some reviews. Thats where the idea of the Partagus, Cohiba, and Cao came from.

I've got a wooden box that looks like an ammo can. It's lined with cedar as well. It has a humidity gauge in it and it's holding exactly where the boveda pack is suppose to be. But I've ran out of room in it. Watched a few vid's on you tube's and ran across a cheaper route I think. Not sure it'll work but it should. Use airtight rubbermaid or tupperware. I also thought about something like a cheap pelican type box that they sell at Harbor Frieght. It really just needs to remain air tight

A site I watch from time to time: He always has a cigar and tells what kind it is. I think he has done vids on the smoking of cigars but I've not watched them. Thought some of ya'll might appreciate - if not, just pass it by.

A site I watch from time to time: He always has a cigar and tells what kind it is. I think he has done vids on the smoking of cigars but I've not watched them. Thought some of ya'll might appreciate - if not, just pass it by.

I have watched several of his videos, and his choice of cigars varies, but they are always good quality cigars.

I used to smoke the occasional cigar years ago. When my now mid-twenties daughter was maybe 3 years old?...I would get a cigar and pour a scotch...she would see me doing that, and run into the kitchen and get a bag of animal crackers from my wife and a sippy cup, and we would sit on the front porch swing, and I would smoke and sip, and she would sip and munch. It was quality father daughter time. I really enjoy thinking about those times. She is coming home for Christmas...I might have to make her get out on the front porch with me again, for old time's sake. :)

Here's what I wonder: I smoked Macundo's and Punch cigars, I think, 20 something years ago. I wonder if they taste the same now?

These days, however, I will have an occassional pipe. I switched to pipe tobacco. You smoke a little less tobacco, but you get more flavor (in my opinion), for the same amount of time. It does take a little skill, but once you learn, it's no big deal. And, the occasional relights are just part of the process. (And, easier to store...just put the tobacco in canning jars. No humidifer required.)

A little "Navy de Luxe" (akin to a light tea, in my mind), or Seattle Pipe Club "Plum Pudding" or "Mississippi River" (darker, richer smokes) or G.L. Pease "Quiet Nights" (creamy thick smoke).

Just a time out from life every so often.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking a nice glass of Brandy
What's your brandy of choice, Bacpacker?

I used to do scotch back in the day, but now I would go with cognac (a subset of brandy).

Don't tell too many people, but Costco's Kirkland brand XO cognac is actually pretty darned good. I am not kidding. I have a nicer bottle I can pull out for company, but honestly, Costco rebranded some good cognac. I would love to know who makes it for them.

Latest posts

Back