Cigars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I wonder: I smoked Macundo's and Punch cigars, I think, 20 something years ago. I wonder if they taste the same now?

Both are still excellent cigars today. Macanudo has an offering they call Inspirado, which they make in several colors. My favorite is the black, and I highly recommend it. We have one almost every time we go to the cigar bar. Very rich flavor, and a beautiful draw. They also come in red, green, white, and orange. Sorry, I don't know the difference between them. Punch is also a good quality cigar. I have never been disappointed when I have had one.

Wonderful memories with your daughter. I hope you can rekindle the magic this Christmas. My go-to choice of Cognac is Courvosier, but have you ever tried Calvados? It would be in the Brandy/Cognac family, but it is made from apple cider (sometimes pear) rather than wine/grapes. IMHO it is very good. Worth a try.

I used to smoke the occasional cigar years ago. When my now mid-twenties daughter was maybe 3 years old?...I would get a cigar and pour a scotch...she would see me doing that, and run into the kitchen and get a bag of animal crackers from my wife and a sippy cup, and we would sit on the front porch swing, and I would smoke and sip, and she would sip and munch. It was quality father daughter time. I really enjoy thinking about those times. She is coming home for Christmas...I might have to make her get out on the front porch with me again, for old time's sake. :)

Here's what I wonder: I smoked Macundo's and Punch cigars, I think, 20 something years ago. I wonder if they taste the same now?

These days, however, I will have an occassional pipe. I switched to pipe tobacco. You smoke a little less tobacco, but you get more flavor (in my opinion), for the same amount of time. It does take a little skill, but once you learn, it's no big deal. And, the occasional relights are just part of the process. (And, easier to store...just put the tobacco in canning jars. No humidifer required.)

A little "Navy de Luxe" (akin to a light tea, in my mind), or Seattle Pipe Club "Plum Pudding" or "Mississippi River" (darker, richer smokes) or G.L. Pease "Quiet Nights" (creamy thick smoke).

Just a time out from life every so often.

maxresdefault.jpg
You just had to go there :p. Far bigger than the cigar humidor are the jars/tins/tubs of pipe tobacco.

If you want to try a couple "cigar blends" 4noggins has some recipes from "tiltjlp/John Patton", his user name on alt.smokers.pipes. John Patton, a local lover of corncobs and blending his own tobacco's, who sadly passed many years ago.

Last edited:
Both are still excellent cigars today. Macanudo has an offering they call Inspirado, which they make in several colors. My favorite is the black, and I highly recommend it. We have one almost every time we go to the cigar bar. Very rich flavor, and a beautiful draw. They also come in red, green, white, and orange. Sorry, I don't know the difference between them. Punch is also a good quality cigar. I have never been disappointed when I have had one.

Wonderful memories with your daughter. I hope you can rekindle the magic this Christmas. My go-to choice of Cognac is Courvosier, but have you ever tried Calvados? It would be in the Brandy/Cognac family, but it is made from apple cider (sometimes pear) rather than wine/grapes. IMHO it is very good. Worth a try.
Never tried Macaduno, but Punch is one of my favorites. Just had one Saturday.

For brandy I like E & J. But other than their various blends, well aging, I'm not familiar with much else. Think ill give Courvoisier a try

A site I watch from time to time: He always has a cigar and tells what kind it is. I think he has done vids on the smoking of cigars but I've not watched them. Thought some of ya'll might appreciate - if not, just pass it by.

Lady I've started watch a lot of his vids, shared a few on here, but they haven't gotten much traction. I did enjoy his cigar vids

Last edited:
As long as they are air tight, one or two of these would work to hold humidity to a acceptable level.

https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-Percent-Humidity-Control-4-Pack/dp/B004LHQEOY

I am using 69% in my little box. After 2 weeks the reading on the meter is dead on. I also got some 65% to try when those get bad. They are supposed to last 6 months or so. I've saw a range of 49% to 72% with the packs. But all I've saw on cigars calls for 60-70% or so. I'm sure there are other methods as well. This is just the first I found and it's pretty easy.

Had to stop at the store on my way home and found a pyrex dish with a good tight fitting lid, so I picked it up and loaded it up with the cigars I got as a bonus. My other little box was packed. Everything fit in nicely, and the lid seems to be a good fit. I'm hoping it is air tight enough.

Reactions: Neb
So, my question is, do humidors do any good, even with a humidity control wafer like Boveda, if the cigars are wrapped in cellophane.

I guess another way of stating my question is, should I unwrap my cigars before placing them in a humidor?

So, my question is, do humidors do any good, even with a humidity control wafer like Boveda, if the cigars are wrapped in cellophane.

I guess another way of stating my question is, should I unwrap my cigars before placing them in a humidor?
From what I've head, the cellophane breathes so there shouldn't be any need to unwrap them.

Cabin, in reference to youur question about cellophane, I found this video by a cigar manufacture about the topic.

Have not had a cigar in a while. With Snow coming for Christmas where I'll be I'm thinking a nice tin cup of Jefferson Ocean, good cigar and a nice big 6 ft diameter bonfire will be a wonderful way to enjoy Christmas evening. Probably will have the fire going good and hot all day so the Jefferson Ocean will get plenty of taste tests before I light the cigar to make sure it is ok. :p

In reference to Vabin Federal Ash game. I had a Punch Classico, probably 5x45 or so. I got better than the first third before the ash fell. Kinda windy too.

Attachments

• 20221215_165259.jpg
    20221215_165259.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221215_165604.jpg
    20221215_165604.jpg
    1,005.3 KB · Views: 0
Got home from work last night and weather was nice. So I sat out on the front porch and smoked a cigar and just relax to a quite afternoon.
Had a Punch Classic 5x50, kind of a torpedo shape. Normally I really like Punch cigars. But that one was bitter throughout. Left 2" of it. I'll never buy another of that type

Got home from work last night and weather was nice. So I sat out on the front porch and smoked a cigar and just relax to a quite afternoon.
Had a Punch Classic 5x50, kind of a torpedo shape. Normally I really like Punch cigars. But that one was bitter throughout. Left 2" of it. I'll never buy another of that type

Always disappointing when you get a bad stick from a normally reliable brand. Could have just been a bad lot.

Always disappointing when you get a bad stick from a normally reliable brand. Could have just been a bad lot.
You never know. I've smoked Punch for years, just never this style. First one I didn't like.
I picked up 2 different Kentucky Fire Cured sticks today. Probably toast one of them New Years day. Planning on a nice fire to sit around outside

Last edited:
Monday afternoon after working around in the basement, wife and I decided to sit on the porch for a while. Smoked my small Kentucky Fire Cured called the Chunky. It is a 4 1/2 x 52. Great flavor, burned nice and even all the way down to the nub. Smooth as silk. I may have found a new favorite.
Tonight we took another couple hours on the porch so I took the opportunity to smoke one of the freebies I got from the mail order place. This one was a Partagus, Heratige model. It was a 6x54. Very full body, stronger than what I typically go for. Smoked for over 1.5 hours. Funny thing for an expensive stick it burned very unevenly, had to touch it up a couple times. about the halfway point it started to unwrap. First time I've had that happen. When they sent the order I got 2 of them, so I will see how it does before full judgment.
I also decided since I got that batch on top of a couple other orders I did place I would start a spreadsheet and track the different cigars I smoke and have a record of what I like and what I don't. No need getting more of stuff I don't care for. Anyone else track what they smoke?

Anyone else track what they smoke?
I tracked my pipe smoking when I first started. I was trying out all kinds of different tobacco blends and kept track of tasting notes.

There was a minor panic that pipe tobacco would be banned, because of a bunch of initiatives to ban "flavored tobacco" on the theory that flavored tobaccos were targeted to kids...which is obviously not true for 99.99% of the pipe tobaccos on the market...and it is especially annoying, because many of the banners wanted to allow marijuana. Anyway, I felt pressure to buy a bunch of tins of tobacco, just in case, so I was smoking and tracking and buying.

I smoke much less now. Maybe once a month. So, it truly is just a little time out from life for me. For those times, I have just a few go-to tobaccos.

I have never tracked what I smoked. I try to remember brands more than the specific product. I have found that most good brands are pretty consistent. You will get a bad cigar from a good brand occasionally, but IMHO that is the exception and not the rule.

I have never tracked what I smoked. I try to remember brands more than the specific product. I have found that most good brands are pretty consistent. You will get a bad cigar from a good brand occasionally, but IMHO that is the exception and not the rule.
I guess I think cigars are a simpler product to buy. I agree that when I smoked cigars, I had a few "go to" makers (e.g., Macanudo, Punch), and pretty much anything they made would be good.

In pipe tobacco, however, there is a lot of variation between products, and as a person just getting started smoking a pipe, it can be a bit overwhelming. One company might have a few dozen products, each of them being very different from each other. And, Smokingpipes.com has products from 88 different tobacco companies. Some of my favorites, and the number of their product lines:
  • G.L. Pease (82)
  • Seattle Pipe Club (18)
  • Samuel Gawith (41)
  • Mac Baren (64)
Plus, I have a small obsessive-compulsive streak, and I love a good spreadsheet, so it was a joy for me to track what I smoked. :)

Here, I'm assuming neither of us is talking about the stuff you can buy at the corner drug store...cigars (e.g., Backwoods, or Swisher Sweets...my high school "go to" cigars...boy was I cool back then :cool: ) or pipe tobacco (e.g., Prince Albert, or my starter tobacco Captain Black).

[[Apologies for talking pipe tobacco in the cigar thread.]]

I guess I think cigars are a simpler product to buy. I agree that when I smoked cigars, I had a few "go to" makers (e.g., Macanudo, Punch), and pretty much anything they made would be good.

In pipe tobacco, however, there is a lot of variation between products, and as a person just getting started smoking a pipe, it can be a bit overwhelming. One company might have a few dozen products, each of them being very different from each other. And, Smokingpipes.com has products from 88 different tobacco companies. Some of my favorites, and the number of their product lines:
  • G.L. Pease (82)
  • Seattle Pipe Club (18)
  • Samuel Gawith (41)
  • Mac Baren (64)
Plus, I have a small obsessive-compulsive streak, and I love a good spreadsheet, so it was a joy for me to track what I smoked. :)

Here, I'm assuming neither of us is talking about the stuff you can buy at the corner drug store...cigars (e.g., Backwoods, or Swisher Sweets...my high school "go to" cigars...boy was I cool back then :cool: ) or pipe tobacco (e.g., Prince Albert, or my starter tobacco Captain Black).

I tried pipe smoking a few years back. I bought a nice Peterson fish hook pipe and a cute Big Ben Pipo nose warmer. I purchased probably 20 round tins of expensive foreign pipe tobacco, too. Problem was I couldn't keep the darn pipe lit. After a few months, I quit. I have quite an investment in pipes and tobacco if anyone is interested. All tins are 80 to 90% full and have been stored air-tight.

Monday afternoon after working around in the basement, wife and I decided to sit on the porch for a while. Smoked my small Kentucky Fire Cured called the Chunky. It is a 4 1/2 x 52. Great flavor, burned nice and even all the way down to the nub. Smooth as silk. I may have found a new favorite.
Tonight we took another couple hours on the porch so I took the opportunity to smoke one of the freebies I got from the mail order place. This one was a Partagus, Heratige model. It was a 6x54. Very full body, stronger than what I typically go for. Smoked for over 1.5 hours. Funny thing for an expensive stick it burned very unevenly, had to touch it up a couple times. about the halfway point it started to unwrap. First time I've had that happen. When they sent the order I got 2 of them, so I will see how it does before full judgment.
I also decided since I got that batch on top of a couple other orders I did place I would start a spreadsheet and track the different cigars I smoke and have a record of what I like and what I don't. No need getting more of stuff I don't care for. Anyone else track what they smoke?
I have found that moistening the entire wrapper, my mouth, immediately before lighting up helps keep the wrapper burning evenly.

I tried pipe smoking a few years back. ... Problem was I couldn't keep the darn pipe lit. ...
Yeah, that takes some practice, especially with the better tobaccos, I think. I've gotten pretty good at it, but an occassional relight does not bother me at all. I consider it part of the experience.
I have quite an investment in pipes and tobacco if anyone is interested. ...
Because of the scare regarding tobacco bans, I am fully stocked. And, I now smoke much less often than I did when I started out, so, I'm good.
I bought a nice Peterson fish hook pipe and a cute Big Ben Pipo nose warmer.
I hear great things about the Peterson. There is a huge market in "estate" pipes, so you might be able to sell your pipes.

My favorite pipe is a German Vauen (with filter), which is a nice enough pipe. I never sprung for a nicer pipe, like a Peterson or a Savinelli. I figured I'd try to make it to Ireland or Italy one of these days, and buy one there, and have the pipe be a souvenir from the trip...which might help justify the expense of the pipe.

I have found that moistening the entire wrapper, my mouth, immediately before lighting up helps keep the wrapper burning evenly.
I almost always do that. Did with this one too. It didn't start until maybe 1/3 through. Never affected it as it never went all the way around. But it just bugged me.

• G.L. Pease (82)
  • Seattle Pipe Club (18)
  • Samuel Gawith (41)
  • Mac Baren (64)

I too set up spreadsheets for all kinds of stuff. It seems to work good for this and I can add info as needed easily. I'm sure other than tracking what I have, I'll get away from the details I'm watching right now as time goes by.
I have tended to stick with 3 or 3 brands, Punch, Oliva, Nub. But I'm starting to branch out a little more and have hit a couple I didn't like at all. Thats why I went to the spreadsheet.

I keep saying Punch, but I think I mean Partagas. I smoked Macanudos and Partagas. Punch was third on my list. It's been almost two decades since I smoked cigars regularly.

I keep saying Punch, but I think I mean Partagas. I smoked Macanudos and Partagas. Punch was third on my list. It's been almost two decades since I smoked cigars regularly.

All good choices. Try the Macanudo Inspirado line. My favorite is the Inspirado Black, but they are all good.

Latest posts

Back