Cigars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an FYI I saw a vid of a guy cutting a torpedo style with a slicer, but holding the cigar at an angle.

I saw that too. I'm still as green about this as I was after smoking one I found in m y Dad's Man cave when I was a kid. LOL

A former boss gave me good cigar once and it was great I can't remember what it was.

I really prefer the V cut, but that does not always work the best on larger ring sizes. I have never used the punch, but I have always been suspect of how the punch would draw. V cut is still my preference.

I haven't big more than an occasional cigar smoker. I smoked first time when I was probably 3. My papaw was smoking one and he told me I was aggravating the crap outta him to try it...so he did. I puked my guts out. Mom was PO'd. Papaw just laughed. But I was a teen before I asked for another. After that when we had a family get together papaw, my uncles, and me would go outside a smoke a Tampa Nugget, or Swisher Sweet. I felt all grown up then. But we did that till Papaw got in bad health.
Last 20 years or so my BIL and I usually have one after a get together meal. We stepped up to Punch, Oliva, and Nub. I'll smoke when I mow sometimes too. But last few months I decided to try some other brands and have hit some I really like and I guess have started to enjoy them a little more.
Dade, let us know what you think. The guillotine is the word I was looking for. I like a V cut, but guillotine is much more versitale and almost always a good draw.

Reactions: Neb
Top one is a "cuban", bottom is an "alaska bear" knock off. They both work, but I prefer the Cuban.
IMG_0692.jpeg

Earlier in the thread y'all were saying that the Punch sticks were good. I bought one last Sat to go with some Glen Livet 12 year old single malt, it was horrible, are there specific ones that are better? The one I had was a Diablo it was horribly peppery.

Earlier in the thread y'all were saying that the Punch sticks were good. I bought one last Sat to go with some Glen Livet 12 year old single malt, it was horrible, are there specific ones that are better? The one I had was a Diablo it was horribly peppery.
Like I said earlier in this thread, the only Punch cigar I enjoy - and, I enjoy it enough to have recently purchased a 50-stick box - is the Punch Rothschild with the Rare Corojo wrapper.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/cigars.17448/post-518643

I've smoked Punch for years. Never had a bad one until recently. My last one was terrible. Not sure which model.

Yep they were. Never read much of that >in an official review.

Mail ran while ago and I got a small order in. 1 Oliva Serie V Melanie, a tin on KFC ponies 4x32. Nice quick smokes. Hope they taste as good as the others. Also got a bundle of 10 KFC Chunky. I'm thinking those may be my go to for a while. They had a sell for just over 3 bucks each.
I had also left a poor review on a torch lighter I bought. It wouldnt stay lit.
They contacted me and asked to make it right. I asked if they would replace it with my next order. They shipped 2 of them that day. Their customer service is grade A

Last edited:
Took a break and had a KFC pony. 4x32 nice little smoke. Not as tasty as the Chunky but not bad, still get a nice hint of the fire cure. About 20 to 25 minute burn time. Smoked it short and it never got hot, even burn as well although the wrap was rough looking.

Attachments

• 20230115_152223.jpg
    20230115_152223.jpg
    1,020.2 KB · Views: 0
Had some time this afternoon to relax and sit around with the wife. Had a Partagus 1845 stogie. It a 4.5x60 with a Maduro wrapper. It rated as full body blend, so was expecting something really strong.
I thought it was very tasty and smooth, not strong at all. Lasted about 75 minutes. Never got hot or bitter, but the taste did change a little after the mid point.

Attachments

• 20230116_155807.jpg
    20230116_155807.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230116_141846.jpg
    20230116_141846.jpg
    993.2 KB · Views: 0
Not a cigar, but I feel some brotherhood here. This afternoon was good weather, so I put a little Hearth & Home Magnum Opus in my best pipe out back on the deck...
If you like Magnum Opus, you should give Fusilier's Ration a go. It's probably my favorite English blend. I'm not a big English smoker, I usually stick with Virginias and VaPaers, but Fusiliers Ration is one that I go to quite often when I am after a heavier blend.

My favorite Hearth and Home is Trout Stream. :)
I don't see that available where I usually buy. I'll watch out for it elsewhere, though!

If you like Magnum Opus, you should give Fusilier's Ration a go. It's probably my favorite English blend. I'm not a big English smoker, I usually stick with Virginias and VaPaers, but Fusiliers Ration is one that I go to quite often when I am after a heavier blend.
I may have to order that. I got big into English blends for a while, but I find I enjoy them more if I change things up a little.

Also, as a side note: I've been smoking unfiltered for a while to get a stronger flavor experience, but I put the filter in the Vauen pipe, and it made for a very mellow smoke. I get why people don't like filters, but I'm thinking I may switch back to filters as my default.

I don't see that available where I usually buy. I'll watch out for it elsewhere, though!

I may have to order that. I got big into English blends for a while, but I find I enjoy them more if I change things up a little.

Also, as a side note: I've been smoking unfiltered for a while to get a stronger flavor experience, but I put the filter in the Vauen pipe, and it made for a very mellow smoke. I get why people don't like filters, but I'm thinking I may switch back to filters as my default.
I'm guessing @dademoss is talking about Scotty's Trout Stream. It's an aromatic from Pipes and Cigars.

As far as filters go, I quit using them a long time ago, mainly because I was lazy. It was an extra step and an extra thing to carry with me, as I am a daily pipe smoker.

HA! I found a new place to buy cigars local, I stopped the other day and checked it out. I did grab an Olivia Series G 5x54 to try.

HA! I found a new place to buy cigars local, I stopped the other day and checked it out. I did grab an Olivia Series G 5x54 to try.
I wish there was some place close that I could buy them. There is one small lounge about 45 minutes from me and another about an hour. It's hard for me to find time to drive a couple hours to set down and have a cigar for an hour, so I order mine online.

I've got a store about 15 minutes from the house. But its small and variety is somewhat limited. I can always find something I like though. He also sells pipe tobacco and all kinds of accessories.
There are other places in the big town but I've never tried any of them. One in particular I want to hit, but never get around to it.
I've never went to a cigar place and smoked there. Not sure what I think about that.
But since I started with Cigarplace online, unless I want something quick, I'll probably get 90% of mine from there.

I grabbed a Kentucky fire cured 'Just a Friend' while I was out and a new cutter.

We tried a different brand of coffee that is a breakfast blend, I must say it went well together with the Just a friend.

Latest posts

Back