Cigars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is each of them layed out. Open one and the description is at the bottom.

Search results for: 'inspirado'

Some good looking sticks for sure

That at least tells you the different tobaccos used, and the sampler pack would be a good buy at $5.00 a stick. Retail is around $9.00 each. I would like to find a review where the reviewer says "This is how they taste, and these are the differences between the colors." I know that is just one person's opinion, but al least it is a start.

This thread has been quit lately. Last weekend I smoked a Oliva Melanio Toro on Saturday. That one was a very good stick. Mellow, tasty, nice burn. It lasted a good hour and a half.

Tonight I had a Partagus Black Label Colossal. Wow that thing smelled good when I pulled it out. And a wonderful taste on the cold draw. It's a 5x60 and is a really goo cigar from the start to the finish, which was under an inch. The fire was starting to burn my fingers when I stopped. It held the ash to the mid way point. Good even burn throughout. This is now on my in my top 3 to 5 favorite smokes. I don't think it was quite as good as the Oliva Melanio Nub 460, but it was very close. It's gonna stay on my wish list I keep. I want to try the same stick but the 6x60 model and see if it's as good.

I gave up smoking in 1995, partly for my health but partly because it was getting too expensive and its got to silly prices you need a mortgage to smoke these days.
govt are trying to make Britain a non smoking country and not before time, lung cancer is one of the top killers here along with breast cancer.

I agree they are too expensive.
As far as lung cancer goes, cigar, and pipe, smokers I know never inhale. Just draw the smoke in their mouth to get the flavor them blow it out. Plus cigar and pipe tobacco is 100% tobacco. No additives like cigarettes, which can have as much as 200 ingredients. I think the ingredients are highly likely the prime cancer causers.

I spent the afternoon at the Cigar Bar. Had an Arturo Fuente Especial, which was disappointing. This one had a lighter wrapper than the other Arturo Fuentes I have smoked. It was bitter, and burned for the bottom 1/3. I would not buy another one. This was the first Arturo Fuente I did not like.

Second round was a Macanudo Inspirado Green. I thought it was very good, and I would definitely smoke another one. This makes the third of the Inspirado line I have tried. The White and the Red are yet to be tried, although my friend said he did not like the Red. I will probably trust his judgement, and leave the Red alone. I will give the White a try, but the Black is still my favorite.

Glad I read your post, I've been looking at MonteCristo instead of Macanudo. They have a "Color" line as well Hate to hear about the Arturo Fuente. I had heard they were pretty decent. Thats always disappointing.
I smoked a Nub 460 with the Connecticut wrapper. Overall a nice smooth smoke. But the final 1/3 turned into a Hot, Bitter, not so good stick. In general I like the entire Nub line, but have found I enjoy Maduro wrappers better, no matter the brand.
If weather holds out, we've got a camping trip scheduled coming up. I've lined out several good sticks I've been holding off for a special occasion.
I kept getting emails about specials from Cigars International. Compared to Cigar Place I've been ordering from their prices aren't nearly as good. But last week they ran a special on 2 - 5 packs for $20. Had 6 brands/types to choose from. I ended up getting 2 orders, one was 5 CAO Flathead 660's and 5 Cohiba Nicuragua N5x52. The second batch was 5 Partagus Legend Toro Leyenda and 5 Gurka Beauty's. I've had the CAO's before and they are very good. Those 5 are worth the cost of both packs combined. I've had 3 different lines of Partagus before and liked them all. Cohiba is supposed to be a really good line. And the Gurka's have good reviews. I'm trying to expand what I try to see what other brands I like, or don't want to fool with again.

Glad I read your post, I've been looking at MonteCristo instead of Macanudo. They have a "Color" line as well Hate to hear about the Arturo Fuente. I had heard they were pretty decent. Thats always disappointing.
I smoked a Nub 460 with the Connecticut wrapper. Overall a nice smooth smoke. But the final 1/3 turned into a Hot, Bitter, not so good stick. In general I like the entire Nub line, but have found I enjoy Maduro wrappers better, no matter the brand.
If weather holds out, we've got a camping trip scheduled coming up. I've lined out several good sticks I've been holding off for a special occasion.
I kept getting emails about specials from Cigars International. Compared to Cigar Place I've been ordering from their prices aren't nearly as good. But last week they ran a special on 2 - 5 packs for $20. Had 6 brands/types to choose from. I ended up getting 2 orders, one was 5 CAO Flathead 660's and 5 Cohiba Nicuragua N5x52. The second batch was 5 Partagus Legend Toro Leyenda and 5 Gurka Beauty's. I've had the CAO's before and they are very good. Those 5 are worth the cost of both packs combined. I've had 3 different lines of Partagus before and liked them all. Cohiba is supposed to be a really good line. And the Gurka's have good reviews. I'm trying to expand what I try to see what other brands I like, or don't want to fool with again.

I totally agree on the Arturo Fuente. All of the others I have had I really liked. This was the first disappointment.

I have never had a CAO or a Gurka. I would be interested to see what you think. I have never been disappointed with a Partaga. I would consider that an excellent choice. Same with the Cohiba. I still consider Cohiba the best cigar I have ever bad.

Someday it won't be 28 degrees and the smoking area will be open again :)

You have to find a sanctuary that is indoors and friendly to our habit. I was lucky. Mine is only a few minutes from the house.

You have to find a sanctuary that is indoors and friendly to our habit. I was lucky. Mine is only a few minutes from the house.
There are a couple, all are 45 minutes or so away. Soon, it will be spring, the gazebo will be up, and I can enjoy at my leisure.

I totally agree on the Arturo Fuente. All of the others I have had I really liked. This was the first disappointment.

I have never had a CAO or a Gurka. I would be interested to see what you think. I have never been disappointed with a Partaga. I would consider that an excellent choice. Same with the Cohiba. I still consider Cohiba the best cigar I have ever bad.
I've had a couple of CAOs. One was the Flathead 660. I liked it a lot which is what prompted me to do this recent sale on the 5 packs. The other was the Consigliere Associate. That one was fantastic, the 660 just barely behind it.
For what I've smoked so far I would rank the Oliva Melanio Maduro as my #1, Partagus Black Label as #2, and the CAO as 3rd.

I will have to look for some CAO's. Sounds interesting.

Tried out a couple of the sale cigars i bought. Last night has a Cohiba Nicaragua, 5x52. Very nice mild smoke. Pretty tasty and enjoyable. Burn after first 1/3 the burn was terrible. Had to keep touching it up. Tasted good until the last inch or so.
Tonight tried a Gurka Beauty. 6x60. At light up I was severely disappointed. But less than an inch into it, it became tasty and smooth. Over all a good smoke for the money. Not sure id buy that line again. But I'll enjoy the 4 I have left.
Stopped by the brick and mortar place on my way home from work and pick up some random stuff to try. 2 Asylum's, 2 Tabernacle's, 1 Rocky Patel, 1 Liga Priva #9 (a very good line of cigars IMO), 2 Chunky KFC's. One of the dudes at the shop said the Tabernacle's are comparable to the Liga Privada's. We'll see.

Last edited:
Nice weekend for smoking cigars around the campfire. Yesterday afternoon I had an Asylum Rubusto. That thing was really good. Lots of flavor and burned nicely.
Last night I finally smoked the Cohiba Blue wrapper I got in a freebie box from the online company I use. It was really mild and not just a ton of flavor, but super smooth. It was a 7x70, never smoked one that size before. 1st half was nice, then it started running on one side. This continued until I stopped. Also last 1/3 it wouldn't stay lit. I finally got bored with it and threw the last 1.5" in the fire. Being a high end cigar I was surprised at the overall performance. Not sure ill get any more Blues.
Tonight me and the BIL smoked a CAO Pilot 6x60. Smooth as a baby's butt down to the finger burned nub. Very tasty and mild to medium body. Only drawback was a tight draw. Ill get more of these. Probably try the Rubusto size too

Last night I tried out a Charter Oak Maduro Grande, 6x60. For a pretty cheap ($6.25) cigar, it was awesome. Pretty mild for a Maduro, fantastic aroma, draw, and burn. Taste was never over powering, just creamy and smooth. I'll be getting some of these to put back just for an everyday smoke. Can't beat them for the price.

Monday I had one of the Tabernacle's. I wouldn't rate it as high as a Liga Privada #9, but it was better than the Liga T99 I have had. Tabernacle had an oily Maduro wrapper with a fine aroma. Really good draw and only slight burn issue about halfway that self corrected. Very tasty medium body cigar. Not cheap, but for an occasion they are worth putting a couple back.

Recently I've tried some new sticks I had bought. Another Asylum. Those are excellent, can't beat them for the price. Another Tabernacle. Killer stick too. Had a Oliva Melanio Maduro over the weekend. THey are at the top of my list.
Tried the Rocky Patel Edge last night. For a highly rater cigar I was severly disappointed. Ran down one side the entire cigar, not much flavor and a serverly tight draw. I'm done with those. Finished off the week with a CAO Flathead 660. Those are good sticks IMO.
I'm thinking may just let this thread drop. Don't seem to be much traffic

Good to know about the Rocky Patel. They offer them at our place, and I have been tempted. Now I won't bother. I have never been disappointed with an Oliva. They have a wide selection where we go. They have had difficulty getting Perdomo's. :confused2: Fortunately, I have a good stock.

After the fall of life as we know it, will you grow your own cigars?
https://oneillseeds.com/collections/tobacco-seeds

Not likely. Cigar making is a very complex process, and the tobaccos used are generally blended. You could grow your own tobacco, and there is still some grown in Missouri, but I don't know how good the end product would be (taste wise). Not all tobaccos are used for cigars, and most people don't realize what goes into making a cigar. This is a pretty good tutorial.

https://bespokeunit.com/cigars/anatomy/
Depending on the SHTF event, IMHO cigars will become a fond memory.

Good cigars will be a fond Memory, but like Hoch, someone will make it & someone will use it.
After a few Generations no one will know what is good cigar & cigars will slowly improve over time.

Good cigars will be a fond Memory, but like Hoch, someone will make it & someone will use it.
After a few Generations no one will know what is good cigar & cigars will slowly improve over time.
Perhaps people will revert to using chewing tobacco. It seems to me that chew would be far easier to make, at least in a usable, rudimentary form. After all, nicotine addicts still need their fix, and if it takes chewing on nasty stuff, that's what we'll do...

Perhaps people will revert to using chewing tobacco. It seems to me that chew would be far easier to make, at least in a usable, rudimentary form. After all, nicotine addicts still need their fix, and if it takes chewing on nasty stuff, that's what we'll do...
I agree, I see us living like the early 1800s & relearning all these things again. Cotton will be King, hemp will be in every large garden.
Hoch & wine, tobacco & sugar beets/sugar cane, but no chocolate for some time.
Non electric hand tools & home made furniture, if the oceans do not swallow us up in the next hundred years.

Not likely I would. Tons of work involved just in producing the leaf. Then comes curing, aging, then figuring out the blending and rolling. Time better spent producing food, firewood, etc.
Spike is likely right chew would be the first to come back. My bet is pot would become hugely prevalent like many years ago. So many uses for it aside from recreational use
BTW, I had an Asylum 13, 6x60 last night. Really good line of smokes.

I think pipe smoking may be vice of choice. IMHO pipe tobacco would be easier to produce.

I agree with Backpacker. It would be a lot of work producing tobacco, and the time would be better spent producung food. If you have the climate to produce tobacco it would probably be a good barter product. I don't think the demand would go away even if times were tough.

Latest posts

Back