Cigars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my techs grew up farming and baccur was a big money maker for them. I'll have to have a discussion with him coming up.
Probably wouldnt be a bad idea to secure some seed and start growing a small crop, just to learn.
And yep pipe tobacco would easier to produce. Blends may not be the same quality though.

I think pipe smoking may be vice of choice. IMHO pipe tobacco would be easier to produce.

I agree with Backpacker. It would be a lot of work producing tobacco, and the time would be better spent producung food. If you have the climate to produce tobacco it would probably be a good barter product. I don't think the demand would go away even if times were tough.
Earl Grey

Smoked another of the freebies I got last year. Partagus hertitage 6x60. It was a smooth and tasty smoke. But it was a strong one. Never had to relight it, down to the nub and only started getting hot at the very end.
Other than the little Prontos, I've never had a Partagus I didn't like

We grow tobbacco here at 3800 feet about 20 miles from the crest of the rocky mountains in montana. Start it inside and then in the fall we have brought the plants inside to continue on thru the winter as a house plant. Even the grasshoppers don't like to eat the plants. Eight times the nicotine as normal. Makes a good insecticide tea or smoke mixed with other herbs for healing.
https://turtletreeseed.org/product/heirloom-hopi-tobacco-seeds/

Spent yesterday afternoon at the cigar bar. Had a Cohiba Blue as a birthday present from me to me. It was excellent, no surprise. Tried a new stick, an Excalibur Maduro. It was very nice. It was wound very tightly, and the draw wasn't the best at the beginning, but the flavor was very good, and a third or so down it opened up. I would definitely get more of that brand.

Decided to enjoy one of my favorites in a new size after a long week tonight. Smoked a Oliva Melanio Maduro in a Toro size, 6x52. It was box pressed. I've had some other Melanio's, but not a Maduro model. They are in my top 2 or 3 smokes of all time. But I rally like Maaduo's better. This one has been in my humidor for a few months and tonight was the night. The Toro was every bit as good as I expected. Perfect burn and draw. Taste was complex with lots of different flavors Dark Chocolate being one of the top flavors. I'll put more of them in the humidor ASAP.

I've enjoyed a stick each evening since Thursday
1st had a Oliva Melanio Maduro Toro.
2nd a Liga Privada #9 Toro
Last night a CAO BX3 in 6x60 size.
Tonight I'm enjoying a CAO Associate. 5x 52.
I plan to have another good one tomorrow night as well. That one will be in Memory of my dad on Memorial day

4C9F6EA2-39EB-4D47-90AC-CDF5F34C5021.jpeg

If you are well enough to smole cigars you must be greatly improved. Glad to hear it. Hope you are improving, and on your way back.

If you are well enough to smoke cigars you must be greatly improved. Glad to hear it. Hope you are improving, and on your way back.
Thanks, I have been working on improvement , it's slow going though. I did manage to climb up on my zero turn Saturday and mow the lawn that was interesting lol. Yesterday I sat outside and had a cold beer along with the cigar lol.

Since last weekend I've had a chance to smoke some different cigars in the evenings. Last Friday I had a Oliva Melanio Double Toro, 6x60 box pressed. That thing was a fantastic stick. What a bunch of flavor and soooo smooth
Saturday had a Charter Oak Rothchild. I think it's 5x46 or so. Nice mild smooth cigar. I could smoke this one any time of the day.
Sunday, Ava Marie Imaculata. Torpedo shape, 5x50. First one of these ever. It was a solid cigar. I'll be trying to find more of these.
Monday Oliva Melanio Nub 4x60. Again a great smoke. Order a box of 10 of these for about $40. Great price on these.
Tuesday, Brick House Mighty Maduro 6x60. Good smooth medium cigar. Great flavors.
Tonight I had a Partagus Black Label Gigante 6x60. Dark oily wrapper. Before I ever lit it I noticed how much heavier it felt than most 6x60's, very noticable. Great tasting cigar, strong creamy flavors with some underlying sweetness. Took over 2 hours to smoke it, but it never went out. Held the ash almost to the band. Had to ash it because it was affecting the draw. The only complaint, It had 2 small areas that wanted to run, corrected it 3 times and would come right back. Other wise a very good cigar, but it is about the strongest one I've had. I love these and for the size they are a good price.

Edit to add: Don't smoke the Black Label Gigante on an empty stomach. This is an after supper smoke for sure.

Last edited:
Since last weekend I've had a chance to smoke some different cigars in the evenings. Last Friday I had a Oliva Melanio Double Toro, 6x60 box pressed. That thing was a fantastic stick. What a bunch of flavor and soooo smooth
Saturday had a Charter Oak Rothchild. I think it's 5x46 or so. Nice mild smooth cigar. I could smoke this one any time of the day.
Sunday, Ava Marie Imaculata. Torpedo shape, 5x50. First one of these ever. It was a solid cigar. I'll be trying to find more of these.
Monday Oliva Melanio Nub 4x60. Again a great smoke. Order a box of 10 of these for about $40. Great price on these.
Tuesday, Brick House Mighty Maduro 6x60. Good smooth medium cigar. Great flavors.
Tonight I had a Partagus Black Label Gigante 6x60. Dark oily wrapper. Before I ever lit it I noticed how much heavier it felt than most 6x60's, very noticable. Great tasting cigar, strong creamy flavors with some underlying sweetness. Took over 2 hours to smoke it, but it never went out. Held the ash almost to the band. Had to ash it because it was affecting the draw. The only complaint, It had 2 small areas that wanted to run, corrected it 3 times and would come right back. Other wise a very good cigar, but it is about the strongest one I've had. I love these and for the size they are a good price.
I know nothing about cigars and don't smoke anything, but I Love to look at this thread!!

Partagas is one of my favorite brands. I can't remember ever having a bad one.

I've never had a bad Partagus either.
The Heritage was really good. Not quite what the Black Label was, not as flavorful. But still a good stick. Those Black Labels are just hard to top. They are my 2nd favorite after Oliva Melanios. CAO BX3 is probably my 3rd.

Liga Privadas are really good and would be in top 3 probably, but they are just too expensive for any kind of regular cigar.

Don't those cigar shops have payment plans? 🤣

It's not that bad if you are buying onesy-twosy. If you get a box it can get a little pricey. Personally, I try to keep it in the $10.00 range, but I will admittedly up the ante for a Cohiba.

Morgan I'm finding I can get a 5 pack, if I keep my eyes open for not much more than one or two here and there. But I agree, boxes hurt a bit.
Like you I'll spend a bit more for something I really like. Oliva Melanios are my costly stick. But I got a box of 10 of the Melanio 4x60 for $38.00. In the local shop those are 10-12 bucks each.

Here is tonight's feature. CAO BX3 Toro, 6x52. The BX series is a very flavorful cigar. Brazilian wrapper that gives a different taste thank many others.

Attachments

• 20230703_174643.jpg
    20230703_174643.jpg
    890.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back