Cigars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ttile pretty much says it all. I know there are 2 or 3 others, and probably more, that enjoy a good cigar on occasion. Maybe even on a regular basis. This thread is for sharing what brands and types you like. Flavors from various countries you like, or not.
Along with that, what do you do while smoking? For example, I smoke one quite often when I am mowing the yard. I know I'll be there a while, and the smoke helps keep the flying critters away. But I also very much enjoy sitting around a fire and having a nice smoke.
What say you
I don't smoke. I never got the hang of inhaling. When I tried it as a young person (in my 20's) I would pretend to smoke and hold the cigarette in cool fashion and take a puff. My friends would laugh at me and say "You didn't inhale, bwahahaha". No. I didn't. I couldn't quite get that part. So I quit trying.

Now.........from what I hear, you don't inhale when you smoke a cigar. I took a puff of a cigar once and it was nice. I think if I smoked, it would be a cigar. I'm sure I would like the most expensive and hardest to get ones though (kind of like my taste in wine runs).

I don't smoke. I never got the hang of inhaling. When I tried it as a young person (in my 20's) I would pretend to smoke and hold the cigarette in cool fashion and take a puff. My friends would laugh at me and say "You didn't inhale, bwahahaha". No. I didn't. I couldn't quite get that part. So I quit trying.

Now.........from what I hear, you don't inhale when you smoke a cigar. I took a puff of a cigar once and it was nice. I think if I smoked, it would be a cigar. I'm sure I would like the most expensive and hardest to get ones though (kind of like my taste in wine runs).
Indeed, you do not inhale the smoke from cigars or pipes. inhaled for a long time, 2 packs a day. Went cold turkey when I met Lori.

You can get some very good cigars that will not break the bank. You could go to a retail store or a cigar bar, and ask for recommendations for a beginner. There is a lot of expertise here if you need help.

No. You do not inhale. Take a drag and hold it in your mouth. Let it out slowly to enjoy the flavor. Plenty of stuff on You Tube as well if you are interested.

Well the other guys beat me to it. No inhaling with Cigars or Pipes. Just enjoy the aroma & flavor of the smoke. Cigars come in a large line of prices, flavors, etc. Lots and lots of brands and lines within the brand. They even have some that are flavored. Myself I'm not a fan of those, but some are

Well I gotta give props to Morgan once again. I smoked a Macanudo Inspirado White tonight. Totally different than the Black. Almost had a sweet bent to it. Another VERY GOOD stick.
Thanks Bro

Glad you enjoyed it. It is a very good line. I have enjoyed all of the colors, but the Black is still my favorite.

Not sure if I've mentioned these before. But The Liga Undercrown, both Maduro and Shade Grown are both SUPERB cigars. Both easily in my top 10, maybe even top 5

Good to know. I will keep an ey out.

Crazy week at work, and it's only Wednesday. Most likely working this weekend too.
Got home tonight and decided to get a little porch time. Had a Kentucky Fire Cured Fat Molly. Good cigar. Everytime I open the cellophane I get a picture of sitting around a campfire runnin thru my mind. Fat Molly is a 5x56, and a nice smoke. Felt much relaxed after that

Crazy week at work, and it's only Wednesday. Most likely working this weekend too.
Got home tonight and decided to get a little porch time. Had a Kentucky Fire Cured Fat Molly. Good cigar. Everytime I open the cellophane I get a picture of sitting around a campfire runnin thru my mind. Fat Molly is a 5x56, and a nice smoke. Felt much relaxed after that

Absolutely therapeutic. I love it. :great:

I too had a rough day. After dinner, went out and had a Thompson slim panatela. First time trying what’s basically a long cigarillo. Very nice when paired with Noble Oak bourbon. Therapeutic indeed!
Amazing what some quite time outside with a nice cigar can do to clear the clutter runnin thru the mind. At least for a while

Last edited:
It has come to my attention that TODAY is:

1717175492061.png

Enjoy the day !!!!

Last edited:
It has come to my attention that TODAY is:

View attachment 153515
Enjoy the day !!!!

Olivas are excellent. Is the red label on the right an Arturo Fuente? That is also an excellent brand. I can't tell what the one on the left is. It looks like the label says Alabama but I couldn't find anything on line.

I did have a nice day at the cigar bar. Had an Alec Bradley Coyol, lonsdale shape and size. Very nice. Smooth and mild. Also had a Partagas Classic Black. Great taste, and nice draw, but it started to canoe on me. Disappointing, but maybe it was my fault for not lighting it correctly.

The guy who owns the shop said when a cigar canoes it is because you are not smoking it properly. You should only take a drag every thirty seconds or so. Have you ever heard that? I have to do some research.

Olivas are excellent. Is the red label on the right an Arturo Fuente? That is also an excellent brand. I can't tell what the one on the left is. It looks like the label says Alabama but I couldn't find anything on line.

I did have a nice day at the cigar bar. Had an Alec Bradley Coyol, lonsdale shape and size. Very nice. Smooth and mild. Also had a Partagas Classic Black. Great taste, and nice draw, but it started to canoe on me. Disappointing, but maybe it was my fault for not lighting it correctly.

The guy who owns the shop said when a cigar canoes it is because you are not smoking it properly. You should only take a drag every thirty seconds or so. Have you ever heard that? I have to do some research.
I have the canoe problem too often, I call it running. I smoke outside most of the time and sometimes while driving the tractor. I assumed the wind was part of the issue. More reasearch to do it seems.

I got a small humidor for Christmas, 48L King Chi. It holds temps perfectly. But I cant get the humidity to hold where I want it. I shoot for 64-68%, I keep 3 digital hydrometers inside and they are all 3 within 1% of each other. But I've had a couple of stoogies recently the the wrapper cracked which I take as a sign of low humidity. SO I got a moisture meter which just arrived Friday. Yesterday I pulled 3 cigars out and one was at 64%, the other 2 were 57 & 58%. They have all been stored together for roughly the same amount of time. I'm using 2 humidity tubes inside. SHould be at 65%, I also have a few small Boveda packs inside as well. I'm thinking about getting some 320gram 69% Boveda packs and pulling the tubes to see if that works better. Their is a small fan inside for air circulation. But I'm kinda at a loss

I have the canoe problem too often, I call it running. I smoke outside most of the time and sometimes while driving the tractor. I assumed the wind was part of the issue. More reasearch to do it seems.

I got a small humidor for Christmas, 48L King Chi. It holds temps perfectly. But I cant get the humidity to hold where I want it. I shoot for 64-68%, I keep 3 digital hydrometers inside and they are all 3 within 1% of each other. But I've had a couple of stoogies recently the the wrapper cracked which I take as a sign of low humidity. SO I got a moisture meter which just arrived Friday. Yesterday I pulled 3 cigars out and one was at 64%, the other 2 were 57 & 58%. They have all been stored together for roughly the same amount of time. I'm using 2 humidity tubes inside. SHould be at 65%, I also have a few small Boveda packs inside as well. I'm thinking about getting some 320gram 69% Boveda packs and pulling the tubes to see if that works better. Their is a small fan inside for air circulation. But I'm kinda at a loss

The canoeing problem may be a faulty cigar. It may have been rolled incorrectly or was underfilled. It can also come from how you light it. The recommendation I saw was to light from the outside in. Toast the foot all the way around the outside until you have a complete gray ash; then move to the center. I will be more careful next time I light up.

Sorry, but your humidor issues are way beyond my capabilities. I would ask one of the local retailers about humidors. They may know more about them, or can point you in the right direction to get more info. It seems very unusual to me that three cigars stored in the same conditions would have such a wide discrepancy in moisture content. JMHO but that seems like more of a cigar issue than a humidor issue. I would be interested to hear what you find.

I usually am careful toasting the foot. But I've never tried doing the outside first. That may be the problem cause I've had the issue with several brands, Oliva, Partagus, Macanudos, KFC's, no rhyme or reason

I have never had any luck with "real" wood humidors. I have two ammo cans with spanish cedar lining or cedar trays, and a coleman cooler with cedar trays. They hold the humidity perfectly, I replace the boveda packs when they start to drift.

Mine isn't wood. Its made like a wine cooler, has Spanish cedar trays and shelves. I started to do the large Bodega packs to start with. Wish I had now

Reactions: Neb
Mine isn't wood. Its made like a wine cooler, has Spanish cedar trays and shelves. I started to do the large Bodega packs to start with. Wish I had now
Back in the "dark ages", one of things for humidity was "silica cat litter". spray it to get it wet, it hold around 65 percent pretty well.

My big "humidor"
IMG_1206.jpeg

I've got a tin of that that hasn't been opened yet. What did you think of it? Gets some great reviews
I like it. Actually, I just realized I put up a picture of "Mississippi River, Special Reserve." I actually had the ordinary Mississippi River, which I really like. I do want to try to Special Reserve; I think I have some in my stores, so it will be tried soon. (BTW, I've noticed the prices have gone way up since my last round of buying.)

My 4 favorites:
  • G.L. Pease -- Quiet Nights
  • Seattle Pipe Club -- Plum Pudding
  • Seattle Pipe Club -- Mississippi River
  • Escudo -- Navy Deluxe
I think of the Mississippi River as a "chocolate" version of Plum Pudding, the later having some hints of fruitcake. Both have a little more flavor than Quiet Nights, which is just campfire in the tin, and rich & creamy on the smoke. The Navy Deluxe is "a glass of tea," so it is much lighter than the other three.

That may all sound weird, I suppose. Flavor notes of tobacco can be like flavor notes in wine...very imprecise, and personal...just hints of the flavor noted...more like a memory is evoked than a flavor tasted. (My wife just looks at me like I'm insane when I taste a wine, and say that it has flavor notes of "saddle leather...asphalt..." which usually means it is a very good wine, by my book. :) )

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back