College Football Smack Talk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the bad calls. Its been like that for a couple years now. This year has been worse. UT game had bad calls thought out, second half was almost all against UT. I had recorded it and even extended the time. But with all the cramp stuff I missed the entire overtime, which sounds like one more terrible call.
Looking forward to Ga vs MI and Bama vs Cinnabon later today.

And the 400lb gorilla in the room… kids declining to play because they are going pro in a few weeks at the NFL draft. This has affected almost every game, especially the good teams with multiple players turning Pro. I have no solution for this… on one hand if player accepted a scholarship to play ball, he should play until the season is over. On the other hand, $$millions are waiting for some of these guys. What to do?

I don't know much but I assume the kids had to sign some sort of contract to get a scholarship (even a partial scholarship) I I think/believe they should be required to play the bowl games or playoff games. The schools should require it, the NCAA should require it, and the NFL should require it by denying them the opportunity to be in the draft. Shouldn't this be a sign of dedication to the team you are playing for, and shouldn't that be something your future employer should expect and respect?

I hate for the stars to sit out the bowl games. But I completely get why they do. Just a few years back a star tackle for Michigan, fully expected to be a top 3 pick in NFL draft, severely injured himself, to the point I'm not sure he ever played again. That cost him and his family a shot at life changing money. I can't really hd that against them looking at it from that standpoint

Well, another one bites the dust. Cincinnati was a good team, but not by SEC standards. They just didn’t have the same kind team speed as is seen down south. Bama set the tone on the first drive, 10 runs then a 2yrd pass for a TD. In your mouth football! And the defense was there all day. Their O-line didn’t have the size and quickness to deal with Bama.

Michigan – the first half was a complete rout. Their game plan on both sides of the ball was as bad as Georgia’s was good. It look like Michigan came to play someone… just not GA. They were out coached in every phase of the game.

8min into the 3rd quarter now… Tipping point… Blue has looked better, we’ll see if they are ready to dig themselves out of this hole.

I'm rooting for Big Blue, hope they get something going.

Saw 2nd half of Bama game. Pretty much what I expected.
Glad to see Georgia beating Michigan down. They just aren't handling the speed and power of Ga.

Big Blue showed up, with about 5min left in the game. I did not expect this. GA dominated just as they have everyone all year (except TN in the first half and Bama).

GA had over 550yds of total offence. Where was the Blue defense? Lack of team speed was obvious. Through the first half I thought the problem was their players were out of position. In the 2nd half I realized they are just that slow. People were always 2 steps behind.

I think Bama beating GA only P#$% them off! I can hope Michigan is the only recipient. But I don't think that'll happen. I think my home team is gonna get whooped, them dogs want vengeance.

They were the two best teams in college football all season. They both deserve to be playing for the national championship. Should be a great championship game.

Peanut/Backpacker:

Thought you guys would enjoy this. Hope everybody else does.

GO DAWGS!!!!!!
ROLL TIDE!!!
Hard to believe Georgia and Alabama are right next to each other in the warm south...
And where is the game being played?
...The frozen north in Indianapolis, starting at 7pm at night. :dunno:

It should be a dandy. I am looking forward to it. Two very deserving teams. Both had decisive wins to get there. No controversy. Let the best man win.

It should be a dandy. I am looking forward to it. Two very deserving teams. Both had decisive wins to get there. No controversy. Let the best man win.
It was a dandy.
Nobody has anything to say?
I do. Georgia's defense showed up to play. You would swear they had an axe to grind :oops:.
Them big'ol boys blasted thru our offensive line like we were a bunch of 9th-graders every time.
Our QB never had more than 3 seconds to throw a pass and was always running for his life.
That shuts down even the best passing game (how Bama wins).
Winner of the championship game: Georgia defense.

That was a good game. I never stay up for a game on a work night, I did last night.

I gotta say the ACC officials were horrible. They were in the UT Purdue game. No way that should happen in a championship game

I really wonder what the selection process is. In this case you had two SEC teams, Why do you not have SEC officials?

Different conferences are going to call the game differently. I feel sorry for the athletes who have played an entire season, and have a pretty good understanding of how the game will be called. When you get into post-season where the officiating should be better, and you have things called or not called the way you have played all season is very frustrating.

Not sure, but I think they are selected before bowl games start. And typically they use out of conference refs for most games.
It seems like calls or non calls are just much worse in general last few years. Even instant replay is a joke half the time

Not sure, but I think they are selected before bowl games start. And typically they use out of conference refs for most games.
It seems like calls or non calls are just much worse in general last few years. Even instant replay is a joke half the time

I have mixed emotions about instant replay. I don't mind it, but there should be a time limit. After one minute if you can't see a reason to overturn, the call stands. One of the Sportscasters in this area made a very valid comment when IR first started. "The play was so close that no matter what was called you really couldn't argue." We are all human, and to be able to see and make a call in microseconds should be part of the game. The athletes are far from perfect. Why shouldn't the officials be afforded the same latitude.

I don't like it when the talking heads officiate from the Press Box. Not their job. If you want to referee take the test and buy a shirt. I'm sure they would be happy to have you.

I agree takes way too long. But they still get it wrong with IR quite often. Guess they really are blind. Lol

That lights me up like a Christmas Tree. How can you look at it for five minutes, and still get it wrong? My first thought - The Fix is In.

Well, we'll get them next year, unless it takes them another 40 years...

This game was what I thought would happen at the SEC championship game. Georgia had a better team, they just weren't ready to play then.

Last night they were ready! I was surprised how close the game actually turned out. I thought GA would dominate the whole game but they didn't until the 2nd half... And then a couple turn overs and it'd have gone differently.

On a positive note, all the other conferences now know where they stand. Cincinnati and Mich aren't in the same league. If the best college athletes didn't already know... Want to play with the big boys? The SEC is where you'll find them. This will further help SEC recruiting, all the schools will benefit, FL, AR, Ole Miss, even KY. Vandy? Nothing will help Vandy but they are my favorite underdog! 😉

For any fans... spring games are being televised this week. I'm watching Bama play now, White vs Crimson.

I saw a new running back moments ago... this kid is special. Bama hasn't had a back who had these kind of moves in ages.

He made 2 moves on a scoring run, left db's staring at air. One second he's here, blink, now he's over there! Bama's db's are 4 and 5 star athletes, but he left them standing flat footed.

Haven't heard his name yet...

I hate for the stars to sit out the bowl games. But I completely get why they do. Just a few years back a star tackle for Michigan, fully expected to be a top 3 pick in NFL draft, severely injured himself, to the point I'm not sure he ever played again. That cost him and his family a shot at life changing money. I can't really hd that against them looking at it from that standpoint
Jake Butt TE (Michigan) was projected high 1st round pick, got hurt in the orange bowl (i think) and ended up 5th or 6th round pick and the injury plaguing him for the next few years seeing barely any playing time. I am pretty sure his career ended that way, barely playing in the NFL. Since then a whole bunch of Michigan players (and others) have sat out unless it's a potential championship run year in which they can increase their NFL stock with a good highlight reel!

The time of year when hope springs eternal!! :woo hoo:Everybody is excited about getting a fresh start. Everybody is excited about having the new recruiting class coming in. I reserve judgement until a week or two into the season. The D1 schools usually schedule a D1A cream puff the first week; a game they win 99% of the time. Lose that one and you are in big trouble. See how they fair against their first good opponent. That is my truer test of their metal.

Ut is updating the stadium this spring. Orange and white game was cancelled

I UT still in the constant battle with Michigan for the largest stadium in the country? I know they went back and forth for many years.

Ut is updating the stadium this spring. Orange and white game was cancelled

What are they doing? Putting chicken wire over the student section?

After last year's Ole Miss game I wouldn't blame them. The behavior of the fans was embarrassing to the whole SEC.

Probably a reflection of today's society, don't get your way? Throw a temper tantrum. :(

My big concern after our spring game is Saban. He made several statements to the press during the game. He looked tired, didn't have the same fire in his belly. Uh-Oh!

What are they doing? Putting chicken wire over the student section?

After last year's Ole Miss game I wouldn't blame them. The behavior of the fans was embarrassing to the whole SEC.

Probably a reflection of today's society, don't get your way? Throw a temper tantrum. :(

My big concern after our spring game is Saban. He made several statements to the press during the game. He looked tired, didn't have the same fire in his belly. Uh-Oh!

Peanut, you are part of a select group that would notice that. You guys are real tried and true Bama fans. The rest of us Plebeians would never see the difference. To be fair he has not only reached the top of the mountain, he has stayed at the top of the mountain for a very long time. At 70 years old and a net worth of $60 Million it has to be hard to maintain that intensity level. He has had a great run no doubt. What is left for him to achieve, and how long does he want to do this?

We've all seen this sort of thing... men get tired while doing a job they love. Their heart isn't in it anymore but they don't know how to stop. Bobby Bowden stayed way to long. Spurrier should have left sooner. Joe Pa is another one.

My own dad was the worst. We raised cattle and had 200 peach trees. He should have stopped 5 years sooner. I could see his heart wasn't in it anymore. But he didn't know how to stop even though he was no longer physically able to do the work.

Back