diet starting today

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keto / very low-carb / heavily meat based is where I like being. I'm not 100% carnivore but sometimes have meals that would be considered such.

Has worked well for me. (I'm maybe 8 years into my "radical" diet and suspect I wouldn't be on this side of the sod had I continued with trying to be a good vegan. But hey, you do you and I'll do me.)

Dropped around 100 pounds my first year and have kept it off. It does fluctuate a bit by season but not much. I can still do a lot of stuff now that I couldn't 20 years ago. I'm active and take no meds.

Keto / very low-carb / heavily meat based is where I like being. I'm not 100% carnivore but sometimes have meals that would be considered such.

Has worked well for me. (I'm maybe 8 years into my "radical" diet and suspect I wouldn't be on this side of the sod had I continued with trying to be a good vegan. But hey, you do you and I'll do me.)

Dropped around 100 pounds my first year and have kept it off. It does fluctuate a bit by season but not much. I can still do a lot of stuff now that I couldn't 20 years ago. I'm active and take no meds.
That is AWESOME!! I know someone who lost over 100lbs, she has kept it off about 12 years now! Thanks for sharing your great accomplishment!!

Now that friends and acquaintances are seeing a noticeable loss in weight with me, they are coming out of the woodwork on what I should do to aid in my weight loss. I've had people tell me to:
1) Go to a gym
2) Start doing Yoga
3) Join them in a daily salt cave visit
4) Go to a steam room
5) Begin doing a cleansing, liquid fast

As said before, you do you and I'll do me. I don't want to get in the mindset that I can join a sweat lodge, and as a result, can eat whatever I want. I am not there yet. I will just keep trudging along, taking my daily walk, getting some sunshine, looking at the beauty that surrounds us.

Yesterday, I had my walking shorts on all day, waiting for a break in the rain, but the rain never stopped. I decided to jump on my treadmill, and mimic the similar walking path. Although it can be boring walking in place, I set up a TV show on my phone, blue-toothed the speakers on the treadmill, and I was completely entertained.

A couple of things come to mind. A doc I have spent a little time with has told me a couple of times, "You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet." At least in my case, I found that to be correct. Exercise is good, don't get me wrong. But it's not gonna make up for eating stuff you probably shouldn't be eating.

He's also mentioned that if you just quit eating garbage, the body is pretty good at takin' out the trash all by itself without any help from you doing your "liver cleanse" or "colon cleanse" or whatever the recommendation of the day might be from those Facebook articles.

His advice to me... eat good food, get some exercise, get some sunlight, and forget a bunch of the modern hype that's mainly designed to separate your from your money.

i was dragging this afternoon...didnt want to do anything..my mind said lets go home take a nap...i thought about it a few minutes..then said....naaaaaaa..lets hike trail...so i done over an hour.

week 4 day 3

today I am going to make Mexican casserole ( basically a sort of chili with cornbread on top)
and rice soup

had an epic fail on food yesterday , burnt the meat to a crisp and ended up making something else, eggs, cauliflower and potatoes. I used the outside gas stove for the first time in a month or so because it warmed up and was too hot in the kitchen to put more wood in the stove to cook on and forgot how fast that thing cooks. I can't remember the last time I ruined lunch like that ! Oh well

Probably pushin' 60 years ago, as a "fat kid", I remember that even then, with little knowledge of anything nutritional, that when I cut out the bread and potatoes, the weight dropped off of me pretty dramatically.

I didn't know what I was doing back then. But today I understand that bread and potatoes, though I happen to LOVE both, are not good for me because of the heavy starches / carbs associated with them. Yes, I'll still have a bit of either, but I'm very careful with them as I know myself well enough to know that if given my natural inclination, I'd likely be eating both in large quantities at nearly every meal.

Probably pushin' 60 years ago, as a "fat kid", I remember that even then, with little knowledge of anything nutritional, that when I cut out the bread and potatoes, the weight dropped off of me pretty dramatically.

I didn't know what I was doing back then. But today I understand that bread and potatoes, though I happen to LOVE both, are not good for me because of the heavy starches / carbs associated with them. Yes, I'll still have a bit of either, but I'm very careful with them as I know myself well enough to know that if given my natural inclination, I'd likely be eating both in large quantities at nearly every meal.
I have been eating bread and potatoes my whole life and was not overweight. My ancestors survived on bread and potatoes. There is nothing wrong with that. You just can't eat fries everyday or a whole loaf of crappy store bread. I think it's the way the food is processed here that makes people fat. There is no corn syrup or dough softener or any other such crap in my bread I bake. I use real potatoes not something from a bag most of the time ( occasionally make a bag of fries but maybe once a month)
It's the amount of calories that make you fat too, if you eat more calories than you use up, you get fat. That's science. You could technically lose weight just eating junk, if you limit the calories. ( I don't want to do that , but scientifically it IS possible) . Try it if you don't believe me, eat 1 potato, 1 piece of bread and 1 candy bar a day, I bet you will lose weight.

Sonya123, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Been there, done that with a high carb diet, and yes, good quality home grown and homemade, not junk. I did not find the fountain of good health there.

If you are able to eat the way you describe, blessings to you, sincerely. I, and thousands more like me cannot.

FWIW, I do not buy the whole "calories in calories out" thing, either. We just see things very differently.

I think for many who claim that they gain weight by eating potatoes and bread might be adding a lot to their potatoes and bread. Is a person eating simply a baked or boiled potato (with the skin on) or is he eating a potato that is fried in oil (chips or fries), or mixed with tons of butter and sour cream and cheese?

Is the person eating 100% whole grain bread possibly made with other whole grains. Or is he eating a slice of white bread slathered with butter and jelly or cream cheese or melted cheese.

Good whole foods often get a bad rap.

I think for many who claim that they gain weight by eating potatoes and bread might be adding a lot to their potatoes and bread. Is a person eating simply a baked or boiled potato (with the skin on) or is he eating a potato that is fried in oil (chips or fries), or mixed with tons of butter and sour cream and cheese?

Is the person eating 100% whole grain bread possibly made with other whole grains. Or is he eating a slice of white bread slathered with butter and jelly or cream cheese or melted cheese.

Good whole foods often get a bad rap.

I used to think the same thing. Tried for many years to make it work for me. Finally had to face what "good foods" are in my own skin. And potatoes (real potatoes not tater tots) and 100% whole wheat (I ground the wheat myself) with the healthiest of ingredients did not make those things good food for me.

FWIW, I have no issue with butter, sour cream, real cheese, eggs, and real meat. I eat all I want of any of those without problems.

Guess I've successfully shot the family dog so probably best to crawl back under my rock and eat what works for me...

I used to think the same thing. Tried for many years to make it work for me. Finally had to face what "good foods" are in my own skin. And potatoes (real potatoes not tater tots) and 100% whole wheat (I ground the wheat myself) with the healthiest of ingredients did not make those things good food for me.

FWIW, I have no issue with butter, sour cream, real cheese, eggs, and real meat. I eat all I want of any of those without problems.

Guess I've successfully shot the family dog so probably best to crawl back under my rock and eat what works for me...
I bet you are insulin resistant. i know folks done as doctors said and got sicker and sicker till they done the opposite and then dropped the weight and got healthier and healthier. also they done intermittent fasting.

main thing is you dropped the weight and are healthier.

Last edited:
Sonya123, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Been there, done that with a high carb diet, and yes, good quality home grown and homemade, not junk. I did not find the fountain of good health there.

If you are able to eat the way you describe, blessings to you, sincerely. I, and thousands more like me cannot.

FWIW, I do not buy the whole "calories in calories out" thing, either. We just see things very differently.
no problem you eat what works for you
I have not had any diet related health problems. Maybe people that do damage their bodies when they are younger by eating too much junk and not exercising? You are right, you cannot eat all you want even if you do exercise but it does help I would imagine. My mil had diabetes , she never took any medication but just ate the following ( we used to laugh about it because it was sort of weird) : broccoli, cabbage, pinto beans, meat, eggs, and "burnt " toast. She would buy sugar free bread and toast it to a crisp and then cut it in tiny pieces and eat them. She would scoop out 1 tbsp of pie filling like pumkin pie and leave the crust behind. She drank gallons of coffee with milk. Thats literally everything she ate. She was like 4 ft 10 and live to almost 90, when she died from pancreatic cancer. She looked like a skeleton the entire time I knew her ( almost 20 years, she had my husband very late in life)
My point different things work for different people
I did the keto thing once for about 3 days and it made me sick, literally. I felt very unwell. I was a vegetarian for a few years ( meat groced me out while pregnant so I didn't eat any during and after that for a while) . I ended up anemic, so did my daughter. Again, didn't work for me ( and that was not even vegan)
What I write on here is what I eat, I do not eat a TON of bread or potatoes, but some. Like yesterday, I boiled the potatoes, and had maybe 1.5 total. Today I had 1 piece of toast this morning because we went somewhere before lunch. Just had my main meal ( the mexican casserole, with corn bread, meat, cheese beans, corn, peppers and tomato sauce) I had 1 large piece. Plus a bowl of rice soup.

or maybe they just eat too much of them
I calculated something the other day, a bag of standard walmart frozen fries, baked in the oven no additional fat has 1300 calories. My husband could ( he doesn't because the rest of us would then not get any) eat the entire bag by himself, plus a burger if I made it. That's the sort of thing that makes people overweight. He was overweight when we met, but now that he eats my food I cook ( well and the physical labor we do, and exercising we did before) he is not overweight

Not sure one could become overweight by eating potatoes. A single baked potato is 160 calories. If your aim is 1600 calories per day, you'd have to eat 10 potatoes per day.

Same with whole wheat bread, 70 calories per 1 oz slice. That is 23 slices of bread per day for 1600 calories...almost a 2 pound loaf per day.

And, in both cases, there is significant undigestible fiber making up the calorie count. So, technically a person could eat more for the body to benefit from 1600 calories.

Not sure one could become overweight by eating potatoes. A single baked potato is 160 calories. If your aim is 1600 calories per day, you'd have to eat 10 potatoes per day.

Same with whole wheat bread, 70 calories per 1 oz slice. That is 23 slices of bread per day for 1600 calories...almost a 2 pound loaf per day.

And, in both cases, there is significant undigestible fiber making up the calorie count. So, technically a person could eat more for the body to benefit from 1600 calories.
I have a question for you : how do you prevent being anemic? Do you take supplements? Do they work for you?

I have a question for you : how do you prevent being anemic? Do you take supplements? Do they work for you?
A lot of the food we eat is rich in iron, such as tofu, legumes, whole grains, dark green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds. I am about to donate my sixth gallon of blood and have never been turned down due to low hemoglobin.

A lot of the food we eat is rich in iron, such as tofu, legumes, whole grains, dark green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds. I am about to donate my sixth gallon of blood and have never been turned down due to low hemoglobin.
I guess it does depend on the individual. When I was a vegetarian I ate all those sorts of things ( and still do) and still got so anemic they actually gave me a shot of B vitamin and iron. I think maybe because ( ok sorry this is probably tmi LOL ) I lost a lot of blood every month due to fibroids
I do think I would definitely do your diet before the keto thing but so far I haven't had any diet related health issues so I am going to continue doing what I am doing now. I do eat vegan meals too, love tofu in a variety of dishes just not all the time . I think I would be ok having meat only maybe twice a week ( but son and husband would protest LOL)

Your son and dh are like I was before I changed to a whole food, plant-based lifestyle. In fact, I wanted meat and/or cheese and/or dairy and/or eggs at every meal. Bacon and eggs for breakfast, ham and cheese sandwich for lunch, pork chops or steak for supper. I was on a speeding train to cholesterol issues and increased chances of early heart disease and stroke. My suggestion would be to start your son and dh slowly with maybe meatless Mondays or some such thing and increase the frequency of plant-forward meals from there.

Your son and dh are like I was before I changed to a whole food, plant-based lifestyle. In fact, I wanted meat and/or cheese and/or dairy and/or eggs at every meal. Bacon and eggs for breakfast, ham and cheese sandwich for lunch, pork chops or steak for supper. I was on a speeding train to cholesterol issues and increased chances of early heart disease and stroke. My suggestion would be to start your son and dh slowly with maybe meatless Mondays or some such thing and increase the frequency of plant-forward meals from there.
oh they eat what I cook , but I am good with having a little meat maybe 5 days a week and 2 veg only days
but keep in mind the way I cook we do not eat a ton of meat, I almost never make a steak , I could not eat a whole steak even when I was younger, way too much meat. And I don't make sandwiches the way most people make them. I use 1 slice of bread and put 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese on it, not half the package like you would get at a store
Like when I make Kimchi stew, I use maybe 1\2 lb of ground pork for the entire family, so thats really not much meat

Well, after 4 days of long walks, and light dinners, i finally was able to break thru the 220 mark, just weighing myself at 219.6 pounds. 9 more pounds to go

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240125_110716_Fit Profile.jpg
    Screenshot_20240125_110716_Fit Profile.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 0
week # 4 day 5
I cheated and weight myself, 1 lb down! I had no candy or cake this week probably why. So 8 lbs lost, 17 to go. This is really working, I am getting there! I am totally used to not eating at night now and not eating too much junk. I think maybe having the occasional candy bar or piece of cake is ok. It just slows the weight loss a little

today vegetarian, pasta with spinach and ricotta. Might make the pasta if I have time and motivation
plus soup, probably soup #1 after the heavy one yesterday, but it was really good.

Reading through these replies , everyone trying to lose weight , I'm the opposite.
I struggle to gain weight . I've lost 25 lbs. and can't gain it back .

Reading through these replies , everyone trying to lose weight , I'm the opposite.
I struggle to gain weight . I've lost 25 lbs. and can't gain it back .
I’m sorry for your struggle. Trying to gain weight is a struggle, too. Are you just not very hungry?

I’m sorry for your struggle. Trying to gain weight is a struggle, too. Are you just not very hungry?
Loss of appetite do to chronic pancreatitis . Most of the time I can't get through a small plate of food. Every morning I have an apple , yogurt and a cup of MASS in a blender and chug it .

Latest posts

Back