Freeze Drying

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5D4B2504-4C21-4A4A-9344-3A90BA2CCD7F.jpeg
(Raw) Freeze dried beef and pork heart dog/cat treats.

We have been running it non stop. I think it’s been off 1 time for 24 hours and that was to do its service and the timing of the finished load till when we would be home to start the next after doing the service didn’t line up to keep it running. I’d have to look for sure but we were close to 50 loads last time I checked.
Have cleared out an entire upright freezer and then some. Some of that clearing out was bones made into bone broth and then freeze dried but a lot was garden produce. Now working on finishing getting pumpkins into FD’d purée and getting extra organs etc FD’d and put up for dog treats. That will clear out a lot more freezer space and no longer be purchasing FD treats. Dogs/cats love the FD’d treats over dehydrated. Thinking maybe it’s time to retire a few dehydrators….. 🤔

@Terri9630 For the most part really well. Some things take warm water, some cold, some hot water. Everything seems to vary as the how quickly it rehydrates. It’s still mostly trial and error right now. I’ve learned less is more. Can add more later if needed. Also found more flavorful by using stock/broth in some things over just water.
We eat a lot of stuff now freeze dried. Like fruit. Don’t even rehydrate.
For canning things seem to be great thrown in without rehydrating. Like celery. It was so good in the chicken soup I had to look to see what was FD’d because we couldn’t tell at all. Honestly think the celery was better in the soup vs using fresh.

I hated that!😂
I should warn you. I got an email from a HR staff member saying if I contacted him I would get a code for a discount on accessories etc. I did contact him (replied to his email) and he send me a silly canned answer about purchasing a freeze drier. I replied back with I’m confused and what I was contacting him back for (remember I replied to HIS Initial email offer) and never got a response back. When I brought it to one of the techs attention they didn’t say a word about it just to contact that man through the email. I think this is not a good look for the company. Seems shady to me. I bought my accessories elsewhere after that.

FD’d raw eggs.
Started saving extra eggs to FD so we will have shelf stable raw eggs when our chickens slow in laying etc. We will now be able to continue to eat/bake with our own eggs in the off season and during the holidays when we seem to run out of eggs for baking.
Will put some more on the shelf then start experimenting with egg yolks and whites separately. Probably won’t have much of those put away but would be nice to have whites or yolks when needed for a recipe.

Attachments

• 63F2AFFD-FEFD-4B46-A12C-C96806392815.jpeg
    63F2AFFD-FEFD-4B46-A12C-C96806392815.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
E306A2B3-5083-4990-834A-686FCC2880EF.jpeg

C4BEF676-8E92-47B1-ABAC-31DB95E377FE.jpeg
Carne Asada seasoned ground beef (cooked)
Definitely recommend putting folded paper towels underneath the meat. In the freeze drying process it removed even more fat that won’t freeze dry and allows for longer shelf life.

EDF1E0FC-0F63-42A9-9714-09B2D8EFFF8F.jpeg

3E7E6F81-2B39-46DE-A0E0-A1AFE815899F.jpeg
Garlic Chicken with pasta and veggies (cooked)

CE47B64E-5F48-48FD-800A-FABEDBB7AFA3.jpeg
A5EBD4AE-DFE0-4919-A000-D8672E044293.jpeg
18 Scrambled Eggs (raw)

7EA16B1E-75C6-4924-A2F2-FE05E6EE7E6E.jpeg

06F542F4-B718-4A93-B9DB-21AF36459C55.jpeg
Pumpkin Purée (cooked)

New test. I wanted to do yogurt to use as a shelf stable yogurt starter for future batches. Sometimes it’s hard to get the yogurt we use as our starter so we have to buy it when we can. I then divide it into individual batch servings, put in jars then freeze. By having it as freeze dried starter instead of frozen would clear out quit a bit of jars and freezer space.
Researched online and really couldn’t find information on doing it. Those who freeze dry yogurt are not caring if the bacteria etc is still alive. They freeze dry at the standard temps which in theory is to hot for viable yogurt starter. I researched and researched and haven’t found anyone who covers the temperatures etc. The temp is 95* that we mix the room temperature starter into the milk so figured that must be a safe temperature. Turned the freeze drier heat temperature down to 95* and put in the yogurt.
Once it was done I tried a batch of yogurt from the “starter”. It appears to have worked. Yogurt has set up and is now in the fridge. Tomorrow once it’s cooled I’ll give it a taste test.
CF993A22-199B-4BA8-A4B0-CC88EFD85E47.jpeg

New test. I wanted to do yogurt to use as a shelf stable yogurt starter for future batches. Sometimes it’s hard to get the yogurt we use as our starter so we have to buy it when we can. I then divide it into individual batch servings, put in jars then freeze. By having it as freeze dried starter instead of frozen would clear out quit a bit of jars and freezer space.
Researched online and really couldn’t find information on doing it. Those who freeze dry yogurt are not caring if the bacteria etc is still alive. They freeze dry at the standard temps which in theory is to hot for viable yogurt starter. I researched and researched and haven’t found anyone who covers the temperatures etc. The temp is 95* that we mix the room temperature starter into the milk so figured that must be a safe temperature. Turned the freeze drier heat temperature down to 95* and put in the yogurt.
Once it was done I tried a batch of yogurt from the “starter”. It appears to have worked. Yogurt has set up and is now in the fridge. Tomorrow once it’s cooled I’ll give it a taste test.
View attachment 77794
Organisms will live through FDing. Even salmonella and botulinum. Penicillin and plasma were freeze dried to send overseas during WW2.

View attachment 77794

I don't have my freeze dryer yet and have yet to read the instructions but isn't it supposed to freeze stuff? Not heat it up? I better read those directions before Feb!!

Freeze drier has been down. Harvest Right thinks it’s a software issue. They emailed an update for the software. Bought a thumb drive not realizing it has to a 16GB or less. Apparently the machine is picky? So thumb drive arrived and it wouldn’t work in the unit. Grrrrrrr Ordered another one in the correct size. Waiting for it to arrive then I’ll try again. Very frustrating. At least I’ll now have the proper size and it can be for that itself.

Day 3 of the saga of the down freeze drier.
New smaller thumb drive came in.
Loaded the software and nope. Still nothing.
Called in again. Got someone who clearly had zero idea what to do or not do. Worse than yesterdays guy. Ok fine. I’d say we all got to learn but it seems every time I have to call I get the rookie? Not sure how that’s possible. So we go through everything all over again. He determines the wrong software version was sent. Sends me a new email with the “correct” software update.
Go back in the house, load the new software on the flash drive and take it back out and nope! Still no updated software. Sigh. 2 flash drives later, 2 supposed software updates later and still down.
Once I’ve calmed myself over this ridiculous situation I call back yet again. Get a very nice lady who takes a minute to look over our account. She comes back and says that both reps who sent the emails with software updates didn’t send the update. One sent an even older version than I had and the other sent the same software I had and have been having issues with. She said they will be getting together and learning how to send the proper software……. I don’t even know what to say at this point. She sends me a new email with the correct software update and says if it isn’t taken care of now call back and they will escalate it to a service tech. So once again I go back in and try again. This time it actually worked. Updates very easily. Only now it’s to cold at night to run a load so I won’t know if the problem is fixed for a bit but do know the software version is updated now and the screen gets into ready now. At least for now.

I’m finding all the issues with the company very interesting. Clearly they have a good product, something people want. But between some of the design flaws you’ve mentioned (design negligence?) and most especially the customer service issues - it would seem the situation is ripe for a competitor to come along and snag some of their growing market. (Or it would be if parts, supplies, and personnel weren’t an issue…)

Hope this fixes things for you!

Part of why I’m posting all the good, bad and ugly. I researched for a long time and didn’t hear the issues. The online people appear to be to busy trying to get you to buy a machine off their affiliate links. I recently made a MeWe account to join a harvest right group and wow. TONS of issues and tons of customers support issues. Has me concerned for the longevity of the machines And the lack of support without major games.
If I had to guess they grew far to fast and can’t keep up. I don’t think that’s a good excuse however especially for the costs of the units. They definitely have quality control issues and lack of consistent knowledgable techs. Definitely lacking in protocols and the information they are giving their customers also. It’s very disappointing. It’s a huge investment.
Hope they do get competition.

I also had an issue with my fd last year. When I called, I believe the person I spoke with was Scott? Excellent customer service. I didnt answer the phone the one time he called, yikes the message he left was so in detailed and I do believe he actually cared. I was getting an error during the process that it wasnt getting a proper vacuum. It was my valve that you open where the water drains. I also earned there is a point to where the fd runs best as to the level of your oil. If this helps you any.

also, why cant you run your machine if its cold outside? You have it in your garage Where there is no heat?

I had to take a trailer to WA from PA. Let me tell you. Fd food came in handy. It took me 3.5 days to get there. I got a soup thermos and would heat water in the morning, put in the thermos with what I was eating for the day and when I got hungry, I had homemade meals. Worked fantastic.

I have read a lot of complaints of the drain valve failing. I hope to get that swapped out before it becomes an issue.
Correct. No wood stove where the freeze drier is.
That’s awesome! I would love to hear more about what meals have worked for you. I’m hoping to have a stockpile of home made food for our eventual move/traveling back and forth. We don’t really eat fast food so my plan was to do what you did.

Taking Fd food worked great. I make a quinoa mex dish that has shredded zuke, peppers, cheese, beans, etc and it fd well and rehydrates like it was just made. I also took gf rigatoni and smoothies. When hubby does this he takes steak tips, rice and mushrooms, rigatonis.
my friend makes a yogurt, granola like bar. It is very good. But I havent made it myself yet.

Latest posts

Back