Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expect to be
Angie, we used to run I64 in Ky between Lexington and Louisville years ago when we lived in Louisville.. Nice back roads running parallel to it thru there.
I've done I64 all the times I've come to MO (St. Louis and then beyond aboug 60 miles). But Aunt (traveling buddy) and I liked the back roads so much we are going back using them. I figure if it gets too late or we don't like the traffic I can get back on the interstates. Today we went around town seeing some things.

Here's one of the things I saw:

66717896_2573942472617576_6381479429352194048_n.jpg

I did drive the back roads half of the way back yesterday. The scariest was where I was in farm country (state 77) the fields were looking ready to plant except they were very many acre sized lakes. I was getting concerned about the road and did have to take a detour or two. And all the barges on the Ohio river were parked along the edges. I have never seen so many barges and them stationary. In groups of 4 or 6 or 8. Tugs holding them in place. All waiting for the river to go down and not going into Tropical Storm Barry reminents.

I did drive the back roads half of the way back yesterday. The scariest was where I was in farm country (state 77) the fields were looking ready to plant except they were very many acre sized lakes. I was getting concerned about the road and did have to take a detour or two. And all the barges on the Ohio river were parked along the edges. I have never seen so many barges and them stationary. In groups of 4 or 6 or 8. Tugs holding them in place. All waiting for the river to go down and not going into Tropical Storm Barry reminents.

There is very little that is more boring than driving the Interstate. Unless you are really in a hurry, the "back ways" are the ways to go!!

There is very little that is more boring than driving the Interstate. Unless you are really in a hurry, the "back ways" are the ways to go!!
This is true. There's always way more interesting things to see on a two lane road. I especially like the little old fashioned burger-and-ice-cream joints you find in small towns.

Unfortunately I always seem to be driving to get somewhere, so I don't usually take the back roads...

This is true. There's always way more interesting things to see on a two lane road. I especially like the little old fashioned burger-and-ice-cream joints you find in small towns.

Unfortunately I always seem to be driving to get somewhere, so I don't usually take the back roads...
That is my problem. When I go somewhere I usually go from point A to point B and usually don't dawdle around. I drove from Washington state to Arkansas and it was 8 to 10 hours a day with stops only for food, gas and bathroom breaks. I would have driven farther every day but Mom couldn't take it much longer. If I made the same trip now I would try to take my time and enjoy the journey.

That is my problem. When I go somewhere I usually go from point A to point B and usually don't dawdle around. I drove from Washington state to Arkansas and it was 8 to 10 hours a day with stops only for food, gas and bathroom breaks. I would have driven farther every day but Mom couldn't take it much longer. If I made the same trip now I would try to take my time and enjoy the journey.
Earlier this year a co-worker and I drove to Los Angeles for a job. The drive home was over 30 hours with only stops for food, fuel, and bathroom. I would hate to try that on two lane roads...it would have added 10 hours to the trip.

Earlier this year a co-worker and I drove to Los Angeles for a job. The drive home was over 30 hours with only stops for food, fuel, and bathroom. I would hate to try that on two lane roads...it would have added 10 hours to the trip.

I agree that is not a back roads trip. And we ended up going 1/2 of the trip home back on interstate. But we will do more of the back roads as we have time. This one did take more time, but was beautiful.

A long time ago in another life time then hubby was a traveling sales man I went with him for 3 years. I've see a LOT of interstate and since he was making sales is all sizes of cities and towns I was able to see some off the main pathway stuff, too.

This is true. There's always way more interesting things to see on a two lane road. I especially like the little old fashioned burger-and-ice-cream joints you find in small towns. Unfortunately I always seem to be driving to get somewhere, so I don't usually take the back roads...

Some of the best meals and desserts I have ever had have been in those little "mom & pop" restaurants, diners, cafes and ice cream stands on those back roads!! And at prices that city folks would just not believe!! Two eggs, hash browns, sausage, toast/jelly, orange juice, coffee...$4.99.........Baked meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn/peas/string beans, blueberry pie, coffee....$5.95.......etc. In most of those little places, especially the Amish ones, you can stuff yourself silly for under $10 easily!!

Some of the best meals and desserts I have ever had have been in those little "mom & pop" restaurants, diners, cafes and ice cream stands on those back roads!! And at prices that city folks would just not believe!! Two eggs, hash browns, sausage, toast/jelly, orange juice, coffee...$4.99.........Baked meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn/peas/string beans, blueberry pie, coffee....$5.95.......etc. In most of those little places, especially the Amish ones, you can stuff yourself silly for under $10 easily!!
"Someday" my goal is to get a Harley trike and do a cross country ride on the back roads...just get up and go, and ride through places like the Ozarks, and the Black Hills, or the Smokies. No particular destination in mind, no itinerary to follow, just seeing the America that nobody sees any more, away from the big tourist spots and into the real people and culture of those places...and going to the small towns along the way that nobody ever goes into anymore.

"Someday" my goal is to get a Harley trike and do a cross country ride on the back roads...just get up and go, and ride through places like the Ozarks, and the Black Hills, or the Smokies. No particular destination in mind, no itinerary to follow, just seeing the America that nobody sees any more, away from the big tourist spots and into the real people and culture of those places...and going to the small towns along the way that nobody ever goes into anymore.

Sounds like a very good plan to me!! You could spend YEARS "seeing America!!"

My "Someday" too. Except I'll being driving a Class B RV...someday.

That's my plan B. Lol I do plan on doing hotels instead of camping because I'll be in my mid 60s by the time it happens, if it happens.

Hotels/motels can run up the bill pretty fast. You might want to check into "Mom & Pop Motels," for lower than average rates. Got some good ones on their site. http://www.momandpopmotels.com

BTW: Age/infirmness does not preclude "camping." "Pop-up campers" are fairly inexpensive, and you might find a good used one. Tent camping can even be done, using a "bed-in-a-box" to get you up off the ground.

Lol I live out of hotels. I stay at Mom n Pop joints from time to time, but I'd say about 75% of those experiences were not satisfactory. Yes, chain hotels get pricey quick, but there are some tricks and discounts to lessen the bill. I've had some bad experience with Mom n Pop hotels with roaches, reproductive fluids on the sheets, no hot water, filthy rooms, and hookers/addicts causing mayhem. The way I look at it, is if I can't afford to stay at hotels for a 14 day trip, I probably won't be able to afford the trike to ride on the trip.

If I'm going to camp, I'll do the small motorhome/camper van thing. Or maybe get a Scamp or A-Liner. I just don't want to deal with camping.

@Spikedriver We are hoping to make a loop of the US. We have a little trailer now and love it. It has a bathroom but no shower. For a trip that long we would want a shower in it so its self contained. Also hubby wants tandem axels for fear of getting a flat with the single axel on a trip that long. What we love is our clothes are there. Our bed is ready. And we can drink out of a real coffee cup at 4:30-5 when we wake up. If we are traveling and are tired, we can just find a pullout and go to bed. We did that about an hour south of Lakeview, OR one time. It was magnificent, cold, stars, and peaceful. We have also stayed at a couple very nice parks (with showers) that are generally 1/4-1/3 of what a room would cost.

Best of all you don't have to worry about bed bugs or any other creepy crawly. I checked into a motel and when I turned back the covers the bed had bugs crawling all over.
I raised hell with the manager and got my money back and left fast. I really like sleeping in a familiar bed and surroundings. We really like our motorhome.

Best of all you don't have to worry about bed bugs or any other creepy crawly. I checked into a motel and when I turned back the covers the bed had bugs crawling all over.
I raised hell with the manager and got my money back and left fast. I really like sleeping in a familiar bed and surroundings. We really like our motorhome.
Eeeeeewwww! And yes I prefer my own bed too.

I wonder what it is that got rid of bed bugs decades ago? I heard about the bed bugs that infested my grandparents home when my dad was a child? They talked about bed bug prevention attempts. One was to set the bed posts in cans of kerosene, but then the bed bugs would crawl up the walls and drop down onto the beds.

And, if you were to get them, how do you get rid of them now? I haven't seen them, and I don't travel much, so I have lessened my opportunity of getting them.

I wonder what it is that got rid of bed bugs decades ago? I heard about the bed bugs that infested my grandparents home when my dad was a child? They talked about bed bug prevention attempts. One was to set the bed posts in cans of kerosene, but then the bed bugs would crawl up the walls and drop down onto the beds. And, if you were to get them, how do you get rid of them now? I haven't seen them, and I don't travel much, so I have lessened my opportunity of getting them.

Well, here's what WebMD has to say....https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/bedbugs-infestation

Home remedies....which include probably what our grandparents used......https://www.naturallivingideas.com/home-remedies-for-bed-bugs/

Yep, LL. I am never home. Except the weekend. Then I have to get the shopping done, laundry caught up, and attempt to clean, and on Sunday, spend time with our adult kids. It's never ending. Well, now it'll end. A week from today is my last day. Kind of. Still have to clean out the school.
And I love being home, I used to be.

I don't have that problem for sure. I'm home most of the time. I miss civilization even if it isn't civil anymore. Sometimes its months that we don't leave the place.

The emergency response unit in Walla Walla county uses cell towers to triangulate on emergency callers who don't or can't provide their locations. GPS is rarely used at all.
Emergency response vehicles are equipped with GPS locators and that allows a specific tracking of speed, direction, path and location. You can't do that in real time with cell connections.

Thats when we go to local fire station. What good does it do to get help if the gadgets are making you sicker? Lots of radiation cruising around now.
I know I'm just being paranoid about the toxic environment. I think I'll go wrap myself up in some aluminum foil ,boil and filter my water and forget about it all.:doghouse:

Not good news for crops. But I bet it is nice to get away for awhile.

And most of it is fresh too.

When I lived in Minnesota I often had a day off during the week. I often took the motorcycle in the summer and spent the whole day driving on back roads. Just cruising at maybe 45 MPH or so and seeing the country. I had to bring my GPS because I would turn on just random roads and often did not know exactly where I was so when it was getting late or a needed gas I would check the GPS to find out the closest town. I sometimes took a highway back home if it was getting too late. It was very relaxing and enjoyable.

When I lived in Minnesota I often had a day off during the week. I often took the motorcycle in the summer and spent the whole day driving on back roads. Just cruising at maybe 45 MPH or so and seeing the country. I had to bring my GPS because I would turn on just random roads and often did not know exactly where I was so when it was getting late or a needed gas I would check the GPS to find out the closest town. I sometimes took a highway back home if it was getting too late. It was very relaxing and enjoyable.

Hubby use to like bikes too but after a couple bad wrecks sold his. Last one stripped off his clothes and shoes and laid him up for a few months. But back then he was wild and crazy about speed.

IMO better safe than sorry. They will charge you for not having a smart meter. Some say extortion.

Latest posts

Back