Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know,just too much stuff going on and not enough time. I barely get online at all anymore. I'm busier now than when I worked.
I like to say: now you're not just tired, you're re-tired.

@Meerkat I just discovered something by accident. When you are typing a comment, do you see the menu bar at the top of the field? There is a water drop, then an A, then a T. That T is for text size. I don't know if that would help you with your sight. I didn't try prior to typing if you can highlight someone else's post to enlarge it. Will give it a try.
Edit to add - nope that didn't work. Just your own posts, but at least it might help you see what you are typing.

So a friend from about 1/4 mile west of us was visiting, we talked a while and when he was ready to go home I asked him if he was packing his .45 auto and he told me that it was out in his vehicle, I told him that he needs to get used to packing all of the time. So what happened next woke him up in a hurry, the moment he stepped outside, a cougar yipped just up the hill, he shined his flashlight uphill, I saw the glare of it's eyes as it was running to the west and he told me that when he first saw it that it was down by our woodshed at about 50' from where we were. Our dogs were in a bit of an uproar so they had gotten a smell of the cat's presence. Needless to say, my friend will start packing most of the time after this encounter, it's become a matter of common sense, he knows that I always carry a pistol, sun up to sun down, I like my body parts and I'm not willing to give any up if at all possible. We've not had deer around for months and this is definitely the reason. Anyway it's not a bad price to pay for living in what we consider, paradise.

I always take my carry gun out and put it in a pocket in the truck door or console. If I need it I want it to be easy to reach.
I have padded the cupholder in my CR-V's console (there's another one farther forward) to accept my Jericho comfortably - for both myself and the Jericho.

I should make mine more accessible. It is always in the car, but not as readily available as it should be. Definitely something to work on.

Mine is always under my left arm with a backup on my right hip. I can get to a shoulder holster from any position - that is why I chose it.

I like to say: now you're not just tired, you're re-tired.

@Meerkat I just discovered something by accident. When you are typing a comment, do you see the menu bar at the top of the field? There is a water drop, then an A, then a T. That T is for text size. I don't know if that would help you with your sight. I didn't try prior to typing if you can highlight someone else's post to enlarge it. Will give it a try.
Edit to add - nope that didn't work. Just your own posts, but at least it might help you see what you are typing.

LadyL I can enlarge text size, but I do need to type slower too and never post till I read it or ask hubby to read it to see mistakes.
Plus if I make mistake like hit wrong key when I try to correct it it starts erasing letters.
I am trying harder but up and down alot so I hurry too much. Vision has some to do wwith it but I've learned how to deal with it better but xetain kinds of light do affect it more.
:Thankyou::thumbs:

I have a free add-on that takes care of my spelling and grammar. It's called Grammarly.
All you need to know about Grammarly – a writing tool for detecting grammatical errors
I once tried spell chek and like to have never got it back off. Don't know what happend but it wasn't good. I have to keep it simple since we are not that good with laptops.
Hubby stays busy with reading about boats and trucks or watching YT repairing them. Plus he still play his guitar now and then just not much as before.

Put a couple draw strings and a zipper in your pants legs. Then you can trap it between the draw strings and catch it when you unzip the zipper.
You are the hunter... but trapping can work too! ;)

Oh I trap too and fish but that way of trapping sounds ingenious. I've trapped fox,coyotes,raccoons,rabbits,mink,muskrat,opossum,moles,starlings,skunk,ground hogs,turtles,chipmunks,squirrels and even caught an owl once,by accident. It smelled the squirrel we caught the day before I guess. The tricky part was releasing it without getting pecked to death lol. The most fun I had was when I was a kid and was catching starlings in a foot trap. I fastened some beef fat to the pan with rubber bands,set it with a hair trigger and put it in the fork of a tree. They'd come down,peck it and snap,that was it.:LOL:

Hey all,I hope all is well,later gators.:green man:
Somebody say gators?

You know you can make a good gumbo wit' dem, right?
Louisiana handgun practice:
a244c512-12ab-4b96-b1ef-1cdc0f595c60.jpg

I guess you could call that a 'live-fire' exercise
rolleyes.gif

Gotta ask, squirrel - how did you prepare the starling for cooking?
Cooking????? Nah,I just pitch them. I have a box trap out here for them,it looks like a bird house but anything bigger than a wren can't get out once it's in. Dad made it probably 30 years ago,works great.

Here you go Squirrel Hunter; a use for all those starlings. Fast forward to about 4:20 unless you want to watch the whole thing.

Oh I trap too and fish but that way of trapping sounds ingenious. I've trapped fox,coyotes,raccoons,rabbits,mink,muskrat,opossum,moles,starlings,skunk,ground hogs,turtles,chipmunks,squirrels and even caught an owl once,by accident. It smelled the squirrel we caught the day before I guess. The tricky part was releasing it without getting pecked to death lol. The most fun I had was when I was a kid and was catching starlings in a foot trap. I fastened some beef fat to the pan with rubber bands,set it with a hair trigger and put it in the fork of a tree. They'd come down,peck it and snap,that was it.:LOL:
Do you have any books etc on the kinds of traps you used?

Well, last night went pretty much to script.
The drug addicts and drunks had a wild time with their helicopter money and what played out was pretty frightening and I don't get rattled that easily.
The police and the paramedics had their hands full.
Needless to say not much sleep was had by anyone and I'm expecting more of the same tonight.
I need a nap.

Latest posts

Back