Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my youngest sent a letter to his aunt (my older sister) last week as his Mom made all the kids sit down, write letters, address the envelopes, and affix stamps as part of a "life skills" class she is putting them through. My sister called last night to tell me that in the middle of his letter he said "I hope you are having fun. We are not. Home schooling is a LOT more work than regular school and we don't get near as much recess or goof around time. Plus Mom is making us learn things that the school doesn't even care about, things you can use in real life." My sister is a teacher by the way. 🙂

Little granddaughter's school emailed and said today we were to drive through the parking lot area and pickup a bag of school materials for each student. To pop the trunk of your car, and they will put them in there, after you give the name of your student. It was cancelled. She is learning more at home. I have been on to all three of them to stop being snarky with each other. It gets ridiculous. No school or running for them today....a big project in the back part of our acre. They are helping to clear old brush from our big trees, and stack a sort of "wall" against the small part of barbed wire on our back of the property. The back property butts up to a small service dirt road and a farmer's field. We get a lot of horse back riders there, and it's wide open viewing to the garden areas. Youngest daughter is coming by late afternoon for yoga class. She is queen of yoga. Planted squash outdoors yesterday under some old skylights we had.

So the school system here has sent out dozens of messages that they are providing free breakfasts and free lunches delivered to the homes of any and all students. I ignored these messages but apparently my wife did not, or she didn't as long as I have. She said "our tax dollars paid for that food, and for the staff who are preparing it, our children might as well eat it". Of course she first talked to a couple teachers and an administrator to make certain we were not taking food from someone who would otherwise be deprived of it. Turns out only about 20% of the students have signed up for the food service, which is why they keep pushing it. They were expecting 50-60% or more and have retained staff and ordered food according to those numbers. So my wife got several more families signed up, including two more from our cul-de-sac.

Anyway so today was the first day and the food arrived in a sealed bags that were left on our doorstep like UPS does. Drop it, ring the doorbell, walk away. 5 breakfasts and 5 lunches. Each breakfast contained a bagel, a cream cheese packet, a banana, and a container of yogurt. Each lunch contained a turkey sandwich, a mayo packet, an apple, and a small bag of baby carrots. She wasn't happy about the sugary yogurt, but she was happy about the fruits and veggies.

I do not understand why it's the taxpayer's responsibility to feed everyone's kids. Nobody fed me when I was a kid except my parents.
That is one of the reasons I always vote NO for school levies. They have enough money they just don't spend it wisely.
Don't get me started on all the free benefits for the illegals. Someone breaks into your house are you required to feed their kids? 🤬

I do not understand why it's the taxpayer's responsibility to feed everyone's kids. Nobody fed me when I was a kid except my parents.
That is one of the reasons I always vote NO for school levies. They have enough money they just don't spend it wisely.
Don't get me started on all the free benefits for the illegals. Someone breaks into your house are you required to feed their kids? 🤬

Normally everyone has to pay for lunches. My guess is they are trying to keep people employed and use up the massive amount of food they already had sitting in freezers and on shelves. The people doing the deliveries are teachers and teaching assistants.

I was just surprised living in Indiana you'd be a Gator fan, did you fo to college there?
Nope,I didn't go to College,just a trade school and that was in Ohio. I've never even been to Florida and have no interest in going,too hot down there.Now I did live in Kentucky for 7 years,that's how I became a Wildcats fan,we only lived about 25 miles from Lexington.

Some parents don't feed their children. After hobbies, drugs and tattoos there no money left for the children.

Nope,I didn't go to College,just a trade school and that was in Ohio. I've never even been to Florida and have no interest in going,too hot down there.Now I did live in Kentucky for 7 years,that's how I became a Wildcats fan,we only lived about 25 miles from Lexington.

I was really off on this one . Florida is not for everyone for sure.

So the school system here has sent out dozens of messages that they are providing free breakfasts and free lunches delivered to the homes of any and all students. I ignored these messages but apparently my wife did not, or she didn't as long as I have. She said "our tax dollars paid for that food, and for the staff who are preparing it, our children might as well eat it". Of course she first talked to a couple teachers and an administrator to make certain we were not taking food from someone who would otherwise be deprived of it. Turns out only about 20% of the students have signed up for the food service, which is why they keep pushing it. They were expecting 50-60% or more and have retained staff and ordered food according to those numbers. So my wife got several more families signed up, including two more from our cul-de-sac.

Anyway so today was the first day and the food arrived in a sealed bags that were left on our doorstep like UPS does. Drop it, ring the doorbell, walk away. 5 breakfasts and 5 lunches. Each breakfast contained a bagel, a cream cheese packet, a banana, and a container of yogurt. Each lunch contained a turkey sandwich, a mayo packet, an apple, and a small bag of baby carrots. She wasn't happy about the sugary yogurt, but she was happy about the fruits and veggies.
You’ll have to see what else they bring. It’s been my experience that they sugar the kids up then expect them to sit and be quiet.
@backlash I agree 100%. They already get food stamps(or whatever they deem it now). Isn’t that to help feed their children or just to trade for drugs? Oops I might be stepping in something.

Offering the same program here. Used to be you drove to the school and they gave them to you. Now starting drop off service. I think it's the parent's responsibility to feed their children, too. But the state has offered to take the responsibility away from the parents. Smart parents are careful about what they wish for.

Offering the same program here. Used to be you drove to the school and they gave them to you. Now starting drop off service. I think it's the parent's responsibility to feed their children, too. But the state has offered to take the responsibility away from the parents. Smart parents are careful about what they wish for.

I almost got negative about this one Amish:oops: have to watch myself with politics.
For some reason the world doesn't give a xrap about what I think or my remedy to fix it.:D:peace:

You’ll have to see what else they bring. It’s been my experience that they sugar the kids up then expect them to sit and be quiet.

Today they brought little boxes of honey nut Cheerios, cartons of 1% milk, and an orange for breakfast. For lunch they got a ham & cheese sandwiches, bag of brocolli, an apple, and a juice pouch.

Here all the kids get free breakfast and lunch 12 months a year.

Wow. Here you can get free meals if you qualify, but the standards are pretty low. So low some of the churches bridge the gap between the poverty line and low income. Which is fine by me.

We have sort of the same thing going on in our school district but they don't drop it off. We're pretty rural so it would be almost impossible. They're doing breakfast and lunch. You drive up and they hand it to you. From what I understand, it's much betterter than the usual fare. I get that I've already paid for it and all but we just have too much to do around here to make the trip.

They are bring us so much food we are turning around and giving it to neighbors. 4 times last week they brought 2 apples per child per day. So many apples my wife added some and made a huge batch of apple sauce. We also have about 20 cartons of "TruMoo" chocolate milk in the fridge, a pile of individually wrapped string cheeses, and several baggies of carrots. All of which will of course be consumed or given away.

T
They are bring us so much food we are turning around and giving it to neighbors. 4 times last week they brought 2 apples per child per day. So many apples my wife added some and made a huge batch of apple sauce. We also have about 20 cartons of "TruMoo" chocolate milk in the fridge, a pile of individually wrapped string cheeses, and several baggies of carrots. All of which will of course be consumed or given away.
That's amazing!! My kids probably really beat three apples per day each🤣.

I'm sitting here watching a big ole nasty thunderstorm creep across the radar map... headed right for me. I am so tired of generators, powercords, rain and more rain and sump pumps and rain...

It'll be here in about 30 minutes and there is nothing I can do but wait! I can already hear the thunder... might be here a little sooner.

Looks can be deceiving... It looked like the one that dropped 4 tornadoes last sundy. It was moving like a frieght train... was gone in 20minutes and only dropped 3/10ths of an inch. Everything is a bit soggy this morning... shame... I had plans for work in the garden. Oh well.

Each week day morning before lunch Gov Cuomo gives an update to NY residents on tv. Why Fox airs this nationwide seems silly but not my point.

Has anyone else noticed that if you put your fingers in your ears while Cuomo speaks he looks a lot smarter? :)

How many days have we been on lock down?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm sitting here watching a big ole nasty thunderstorm creep across the radar map... headed right for me. I am so tired of generators, powercords, rain and more rain and sump pumps and rain...

It'll be here in about 30 minutes and there is nothing I can do but wait! I can already hear the thunder... might be here a little sooner.

Be careful

Latest posts

Back