Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good evening everyone. Local small towns are boarding up and preparing. Seems there’s some Intel that protestors are being bussed to our areas tonight. Maybe they will all be peaceful 🙏🏼 I know. I know. Don’t say it

Stay safe and stay alert.

Weedy whose land do you think it is? So far its still in good shape and we the people control it. I hope it stays that way, don't you?
Meerkat, I have been operating under the belief that the property that I bought and paid for is mine, as long as I keep the taxes paid. I do know that there are people who would like to see all land in the hands of the elite, while we peasants serve them.

Stay safe and stay alert.

Can't take a joke well I didn't tell you to vote
Meerkat, I have been operating under the belief that the property that I bought and paid for is mine, as long as I keep the taxes paid. I do know that there are people who would like to see all land in the hands of the elite, while we peasants serve them.

Us too Weedy then the Pine Beetle came and they said if they find one beetle here the ywill charge us TN THOUSAND DOLLARS A TREE to cut them done,so we basically were forced to sell off our pines. and now its a evasive vine jungle. Killing most native trees and shrubs.Maybe the pine beetle is worse than we know but I'm not sure.
So I don't have much use for the " protecters " of out lands.

Last edited:
New age " wilderness "
Hope the EMPs don't get too bad our in the pristine forest good thing BLM is protecting our resources.

Nation’s Largest Solar Farm on Public Lands Now Online

1591411101195.png

Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell, Director of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Neil Kornze, and California state and industry leaders announced the opening of the facility on Monday.

Back in the late 60's or early 70's I spent about a week out on the desert at Desert Center, lots of Kangaroo Rats and Lizards. I remember that there was a large iron mine out in that area, not a lot of things out there but is was an area that Native Americans were pushed into, just north of Desert Center where a lot of pottery was found. All that was there when I was out there was a gas station with a small amount of groceries and not that good of water. Boondoggle is right, I've read that some of these desert solar systems actually change the soil and air temps and change the climate to some degree in the area, maybe not for the best.

I should probably check my phone messages more than every couple days...

I had my Kidney Transplant Re-Evaluation last Thursday (labs, stress test, meetings with social worker, coordinator, financials, doctors, etc...).
Earlier this year I had two cancerous tumors removed from my kidneys and they are going to recheck those early September.
Doctors called Friday and let me know, barring any major issues, I'm looking at a late September/early October transplant date!

Prayers/Warm Fuzzy Thoughts are greatly appreciated that this goes without a hitch and I can finally get off dialysis.

I had my Kidney Transplant Re-Evaluation last Thursday (labs, stress test, meetings with social worker, coordinator, financials, doctors, etc...).
Earlier this year I had two cancerous tumors removed from my kidneys and they are going to recheck those early September.
Doctors called Friday and let me know, barring any major issues, I'm looking at a late September/early October transplant date!

Prayers/Warm Fuzzy Thoughts are greatly appreciated that this goes without a hitch and I can finally get off dialysis.
You got it.

This is just getting ridiculous. My thermostat is broken in my body I swear.
Its 72 in the house with the windows open because it is gorgeous outside with low humidity and cool temps.
I'm cold. I have on full length leggings and a tshirt with socks and sneakers and I'm still just a bit chilly.
Its the same thing when we have the ac on. We have the house at 75 then and I have to wear long sleeves or end up putting on a sweater in the house. I have to go outside to get warm.
BP is only slightly low but nothing to worry about just not "text book" numbers.
I've done swung the pendulum of hot flashes to now the shivers because I'm cold.
Is this why you always see old people with sweaters and coats on when "normal" people don't need them?
I don't get it

okay got that out of my system lol

Its 72 in the house with the windows open because it is gorgeous outside with low humidity and cool temps.
I'm cold. I have on full length leggings and a tshirt with socks and sneakers and I'm still just a bit chilly.
Its the same thing when we have the ac on. We have the house at 75 then and I have to wear long sleeves or end up putting on a sweater in the house. I have to go outside to get warm.
BP is only slightly low but nothing to worry about just not "text book" numbers.
I've done swung the pendulum of hot flashes to now the shivers because I'm cold.
Is this why you always see old people with sweaters and coats on when "normal" people don't need them?
I don't get it

I can only attribute it, in my case, to getting old, but welcome to the club in any case :). our house is 73-75 (depending on the thermometer) and 1/2 the time it's too hot, the other 1/2 it's too cold.

Angie, is that going to be our new corporate plane? Where is Keith, I'll ask him personally. I bet there is an actual seat in that prop plane, unlike the upside down Home Depot bucket used on his last corporate jet driver's seat?

That plane is owned by a friend of mine. We did take it out as far as run up of the engines at the end of the runway but the left engine was running rough, then decided to back fire a few times. We decided that going back to the parking area and getting a mechanic check it out and fly a different day.

And I'm not sure if Keith likes to fly or not.

I don't get it

Is your iron count down?
Because that's what happens to me when my iron count is down.
Just a thought.

Most certainly Sparky.We keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

I don't get it

We never go above 78 and thaats maybe 2 times a month,we keep ours on 80 at all times and now and then I still get a little chilly.I think its the aspirin but not sure.
We use fans and sleep with fan with AC on 82.Its too hot outside to get use to AC.

Back in the late 60's or early 70's I spent about a week out on the desert at Desert Center, lots of Kangaroo Rats and Lizards. I remember that there was a large iron mine out in that area, not a lot of things out there but is was an area that Native Americans were pushed into, just north of Desert Center where a lot of pottery was found. All that was there when I was out there was a gas station with a small amount of groceries and not that good of water. Boondoggle is right, I've read that some of these desert solar systems actually change the soil and air temps and change the climate to some degree in the area, maybe not for the best.
You probably know that everything that's written down ain't gospel.

I don't get it

Like I was saying the other day, it was nearly 100 outside, I came in and it was COLD in the house, I pushed AC up to 79.
Living back east, we usually kept the central air on 77/78. An ac guy told me the air should be coming out 10 degrees cooler than what you have it set on. I'm having ac problems and had to turn it off last night. it is 82 where I'm sitting. Did I already say this? I have a window unit in one of the bedrooms and using that to try keep things not hot. Lots of ceiling fans help.
Sounds beautiful, there, dragonlady.

Said no for the first time yesterday. We had had two showings 11:45 and 1:00, and got back home, and at 3:00, a 6:30 showing was requested. Husband was a little miffed at first, but I said no. The night before, we had a showing at 6:15, and it made making dinner a challenge. Most of our furniture and all knick knacks have already been put on pods and have arrived at the farm, so the house is fairly empty. The real estate agent and the lookers that come through wear masks and don't touch anything. We can see them on camera in many of the rooms. No offers yet! And if we get one, husband will still want to keep showing it just in case it falls through. Honestly, I think some people are just bored and want to get out. Haven't seen any open house signs or yard sales though. 28 more days and we're out of here. Interesting, though, we've only had one person walk the acre. We have a main fenced backyard, and then another area outside the fence where the vegetable area is and the greenhouse, and another mini house/storage shed. No one goes outside. Weird.

Try wearing a hat. Wool stocking hat, even a baseball cap. See if that helps. Won't do your hair much good, but it will keep you warm. I wonder if as we age our circulation isn't as good as it one was. Heat doesn't get transported as well as it used to.

Said no for the first time yesterday. We had had two showings 11:45 and 1:00, and got back home, and at 3:00, a 6:30 showing was requested. Husband was a little miffed at first, but I said no. The night before, we had a showing at 6:15, and it made making dinner a challenge. Most of our furniture and all knick knacks have already been put on pods and have arrived at the farm, so the house is fairly empty. The real estate agent and the lookers that come through wear masks and don't touch anything. We can see them on camera in many of the rooms. No offers yet! And if we get one, husband will still want to keep showing it just in case it falls through. Honestly, I think some people are just bored and want to get out. Haven't seen any open house signs or yard sales though. 28 more days and we're out of here. Interesting, though, we've only had one person walk the acre. We have a main fenced backyard, and then another area outside the fence where the vegetable area is and the greenhouse, and another mini house/storage shed. No one goes outside. Weird.

My Mom & Dad showed their house dozens of time with no bites. They almost pulled it off the market when out of the blue they were offered their full asking price. The papers were signed and the deal was done within 10 days. I suppose it's all about the right buyer walking into the door at the right time.

I had the opposite problem. We put our house on the market just as the market collapsed. We had almost no showings. It took over a year to sell.
My neighbors had to rake the carpeting in a special pattern every time someone came in to look at their house. They were still living in the house at the time and they hated it.
Between the real estate people and the hassle of moving I'm just going to burn the place down and start over if I ever have to move again.

Another showing today, so the kids and I will be skidaddling again in an hour an a half. I don't rake the carpet, but there's about 20 minutes of put aways and freshen ups I do. We did a big yard cleanup in the main back yard this morning. Got the twins to take down the old satellite dish, and got the patio looking pristine. Harvested enough green beans today for a meal. Have zucchini coming out of our ears. If the dehydrator wasn't packed, that's where they'd be going. 28 more days.

Latest posts

Back