Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am hoping to die in our current home. Maybe not inside of it, but somewhere else while this address is still where the IRS sends stuff. My parents however are moving closer to us. From 90 minutes away to 30 minutes away. Plus they are downsizing from a 4 bedroom 3 bathroom house to a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom house, not to mention from 1 stall garage to a 2 stall garage. My Dad isn't going to know what do with himself having his vehicle inside too. They are not buying however, it's a 5 year lease with a guaranteed renewal and all lawn care and snow removal is included. My dad asked us if we would help them move. I said absolutely and then hired a local moving company. There are different ways to help move.

I am thinking this is our last move. We've always been moved by my husband's company, so this is our first "self move". Husband is not able to help with boxing, loading, or going through things, so it's all the twins and myself. He does do all the phone call organizing and arranging, though. And my cousins have unloaded us on the other end.

I have only made 1 good move. When I got out of the Navy everything was paid for and done including the packing. 2 guys showed up at the house with packing supplies and packed the entire house except for the stuff my wife wouldn't let them pack. I didn't care if they packed my skivvies but she had a problem with them emptying out her underwear drawer.
I lost my coffee cup and they said they had packed it. They even tried to pack the wastebasket and it was full.

They even tried to pack the wastebasket and it was full.

You gotta watch those movers, they don't waste time. When my SIL was moved this last time (AF) the movers got there during breakfast. They were expecting them so she had the kids sit on the area rug where they would be out of the way. One of her kids had dropped some scrambled eggs on the rug and in the time it took her to take the plates to the sink the movers had rolled up the rug. Eggs and all and then had already packed all the breakfast dishes from the sink.

The movers I hired are local and highly recommended. Plus I saved some money using their "Two guys and a truck" option. They will be providing just that, two guys and a truck and I am supposed to provide the extra manpower. I have already got my son on board and then I hired 3 additional movers in the form of young off duty cops looking for extra work. It will cost me $30/hr, some cold beer, and a couple pizzas but it will be well worth it. Rest assured my Mom will be overseeing the entire move like an IRS auditor at Willy Nelson's house.

Just picked up another bundle of small boxes for the heavy pantry items. Trying to figure out what I need for the next 27 days. The rest gets packed. Workman finally showed up and he needs to finish the drain pipes on the front porch and the stucco patching. We have noticed that it has been a deal breaker when people walk up for a showing. They are on doorbell camera, and the unfinished work is an eyesore. The men always point up to the mess and shake their head. These guys have been meaning to show up for weeks.
A lot of talk today about the shooting in Alb at the riots/protests yesterday, and the museum statue they tried to take down. Just saw a facebook someone posting it was the Albuquerque KKK (ha) with the militia (ha again). The guy wasn't white. Wasn't militia as far as we can tell. And our militia has been working with the police in a good way. Our governor is retarded, and so is our local media. We will be the next Seattle soon. Hopefully not until 28 days from now.

Just picked up another bundle of small boxes for the heavy pantry items. Trying to figure out what I need for the next 27 days. The rest gets packed. Workman finally showed up and he needs to finish the drain pipes on the front porch and the stucco patching. We have noticed that it has been a deal breaker when people walk up for a showing. They are on doorbell camera, and the unfinished work is an eyesore. The men always point up to the mess and shake their head. These guys have been meaning to show up for weeks.
A lot of talk today about the shooting in Alb at the riots/protests yesterday, and the museum statue they tried to take down. Just saw a facebook someone posting it was the Albuquerque KKK (ha) with the militia (ha again). The guy wasn't white. Wasn't militia as far as we can tell. And our militia has been working with the police in a good way. Our governor is retarded, and so is our local media. We will be the next Seattle soon. Hopefully not until 28 days from now.

Stay up by your place and away from that nonsense. Y'all stay safe.

Just got word that my Living Donor Kidney Transplant is scheduled for late September!
I still have a Contrast CT Scan I need to do in early September, but the transplant date is set!

I've only been on dialysis since last August, but I am so ready to be done with it!

Prayers and/or warm fuzzy thoughts that everything goes well, please.
I will keep everyone in the loop as things progress.

I'm just so excited that there's a light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train, lol

Just got word that my Living Donor Kidney Transplant is scheduled for late September!
I still have a Contrast CT Scan I need to do in early September, but the transplant date is set!

I've only been on dialysis since last August, but I am so ready to be done with it!

I'm just so excited that there's a light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train, lol

Awesome! Congrats.

That’s the best news! Prayers are answered! Will pray all goes smoothly through the entire process! def keep us posted!

Moving... aghh! between '89 and '94 I lived in 9 cities (which included 7 states)... My old friends kept teasing me... asking "Are you in WITSEC?"

I'm starting to wonder about @Amish Heart
biggrin.gif

Awesome .
Will pray that all goes well and your new kidney gives you a new lease on life.

Jim

Woke up with a nose bleed this morning so I know my blood pressure has gotten stupid high.
I don't even want to know what my triglyceride levels are.
Time for another 60 day juice fast to take care of the issue.
I'm allergic to blood pressure and cholesterol meds so I'm out of other options.

Woke up with a nose bleed this morning so I know my blood pressure has gotten stupid high.
I don't even want to know what my triglyceride levels are.
Time for another 60 day juice fast to take care of the issue.
I'm allergic to blood pressure and cholesterol meds so I'm out of other options.

do you take magnesium?

Last edited by a moderator:
Friends from a 1/4 mile down the road came to visit yesterday evening, while we were sitting at the table my friend Tom says, "I hear a cougar.", before I even get to the door I hear one yipping and when we get outside we hear it up in the woods to the west behind a neighbors house and another cougar answers up in the woods behind the neighbor's home on the east side. The only thing I'm not happy about is that we haven't had any deer around for close to a year and probably the best thing about having mountain lions around is that any bad guys sneaking around behind our homes might get taken care of without a shot. Big cats do have a good side to them.:oops:

Last edited:
Squirrel does a drive-by once in a while.

Can't get him to park.

Jim
Busy guy, that feller. And this place isn't the prime leg-pulling environment that RT was. No Tommy being Tommy; no Buster with a new Best EDC Ever every month or so. You and I are getting somewhat creaky - you in the joints, me in the head.

Busy guy, that feller. And this place isn't the prime leg-pulling environment that RT was. No Tommy being Tommy; no Buster with a new Best EDC Ever every month or so. You and I are getting somewhat creaky - you in the joints, me in the head.

Seems like a lifetime ago.

Lots of leg pulling about leg pulling went on for sure.

I still try some.

Jim

How ya been?
I've been ok except for having 2 abscessed teeth bothering me real bad for about a week. I've only got 6 teeth left and 3 of them are bad,the other 3 are only maybe 25% real,caps,fillings and what not. He's wanting to pull them all and get me a lower denture,which I asked for 20 years ago but he refused to do it then. Thing is I had insurance back then and now I don't and it's going to cost me around 2 grand and I just got a 4 year loan for a new zero turn mower a few weeks ago,I doubt I can afford getting it done. I may have to learn to gum my food for awhile.
How are you?

Of course we will pray for you Sparky, Glad the date is set.

Latest posts

Back