Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I sharpened my new fillet knife.
I dropped a sharpening stone and when I picked it up I somehow got my hand on the sharp blade.
It made a cut about 1" long and about 1/2" deep. It never did hurt but it bleed a lot since I take an aspirin every day.
Not big enough for stitches so I superglued it shut. The hand looks OK today so I guess there is no problems.
After that was taken care of I sat back down and got the blade really sharp.
Anyone else use superglue to close a cut?

I dropped a sharpening stone and when I picked it up I somehow got my hand on the sharp blade.
It made a cut about 1" long and about 1/2" deep. It never did hurt but it bleed a lot since I take an aspirin every day.
Not big enough for stitches so I superglued it shut. The hand looks OK today so I guess there is no problems.
Yep - whenever needed. I keep some in our med box but it does dry out over time - even unopened.

Been there myself, I had the bleeding under control until I jumped in the shower. Seven stitches later I was good.
I was cutting drywall with a utility knife and sliced clean off the side of my thumb. Paper towel and duct tape stopped the bleeding so I finished hanging the drywall. Later that night I tried to dress the would proper but when I saw the bone I lost blood pressure and almost passed out. My sister insisted I go to the emergency room.

Learned what an evulsion is and what cauterizing feels like.

Ben

I chopped off the tip of my thumb once...entire tip was hanging by a thread. I was...I don't know...maybe I was 12 or 14? We were at my great uncle's farm in the middle of nowhere America, and in the middle of nowhere on his farm, down the hill from the house, in the middle of the river bottom fields (next to the giant tree that is still there on Google Maps)...quite a drive from any medical facilities. My dad comes over, and he calmly takes the tip of my thumb, puts it back on, and wrapped the thumb in a cotton wrap bandage...and we continued doing the farm work.

Amazingly, I didn't die of infection. Eventually the tip fell off, and new skin grew underneath. Who'd've thought?

I did that with one of the most basic violations of axe safety...and I had a great scar to show my sons' fellow Scouts when doing that training. "See this thumb?..." :)

Youth. Real, authentic youth. Not video gaming in the bedroom.

Last edited:
Pop pop t
Doing that job is not a common job I figure you know most of the other people on that profession
I had a friend in Florida who worked on those huge pipe organs, was wondering if you know him or heard of him
Gary Etheridge hell of a good guy and funny as hell. We were sitting in his travel trailer ( he used during the week) and he says I was a dancer in the original Mary popping movie, I just rolled my eyes and said yeah ok
He pops in a vcr tape and there he is on the roof singing and dancing. Interesting guy

I don't think I ever met Gary Etheridge but he sounds like a hoot! :)

I did work with a guy for a while who worked on pipe organs. I enjoyed it. I usually got to hold the keys while he tuned pipes. (There were times when it was hard not to drop off into sleep land. LOL!)

Somewhere around here there MAY be an 88 key weighted key roland electronic keyboard. The wife complained for years we didn't have a piano :p. I bought her a really nice keyboard, she played it ONCE. I learned I have ZERO musical talent :p. At least it's easy to store, wherever it is :p

Wow... I just bought a new Roland a month or so ago. I play that thing for hours at a time. It's not really a "home" model but more for gigging. (Roland RD-2000.) They go for around $2500, give or take a little. It's way more likely you'd see it on a stage than in someone's living room. But I can't imagine not wanting to play it. Wonderful feel of the keys. Wonderful sounds, mostly piano and sometimes adding strings.

My church has a Yamaha electric piano on a stand. I can't tell the difference between that thing and a baby grand and it cost around a thousand bucks. The church has a Roland electronic drum kit too. I haven't ever tried to play it, but it sounds good. I should give it a try sometime. I haven't been behind a drum kit since the late 90s...

You should try it again! :)

I play with a drummer now but he's strictly acoustic drums. Old school. He's past the 80 year mark and isn't really into the newer tech kinds of stuff. But for a couple of ol' farts, we do make some pretty good music. LOL!! Piano lounge jazz is how I might describe it. Duke Ellington, Bill Evans, Dave Brubeck, Johnny Mercer, Louis Armstrong... 20's, 30's, 40's, maybe just a little a bit newer. It's sort of a niche that nobody is doing around here but some cool old tunes.

I certainly do, especially when I have a cut on my fingers which never seem to close and heal!

I have, but the worse cut was at work. I saw a stainless steel angle iron
& it had a razor edge on it. I walked ten feet to the grinder to deburr it.
I dropped it some how & cut my wrist, the skin opened up & you could see the blood vessel. I did not want to lose time, so I wrapped it up & taped it. DW got some of the strips for cuts & that what I used, a pencil thin scare is all that is left. A mark was on my record for that one.

Yeah we've used it in a pinch! it's similar to dermabond.

Mu-metal... wicked sharp. Got 8 stitches in my hand once... after the mu-metal sliced through the leather gloves I was wearing. Every surface of a vacuum chamber I worked on was covered with it, always got nicks and cuts from it.

Don't know why I never considered mu-metal before. It's great shielding magnetic fields, preventing interaction between fields. It would work fantastic for shielding electronic devices. Guess I need to research this. I think I have some mu-metal over at the old barn.

From the net... 'Mu-metal is a nickel - iron soft ferromagnetic alloy with very high permeability, which is used for shielding sensitive electronic equipment against static or low-frequency magnetic fields. Properties [ edit] Mu-metal has several compositions. One such composition is approximately 77% nickel, 16% iron, 5% copper, and 2% chromium or molybdenum.'

Mu-metal... wicked sharp. Got 8 stitches in my hand once... after the mu-metal sliced through the leather gloves I was wearing. Every surface of a vacuum chamber I worked on was covered with it, always got nicks and cuts from it.

Don't know why I never considered mu-metal before. It's great shielding magnetic fields, preventing interaction between fields. It would work fantastic for shielding electronic devices. Guess I need to research this. I think I have some mu-metal over at the old barn.

From the net... 'Mu-metal is a nickel - iron soft ferromagnetic alloy with very high permeability, which is used for shielding sensitive electronic equipment against static or low-frequency magnetic fields. Properties [ edit] Mu-metal has several compositions. One such composition is approximately 77% nickel, 16% iron, 5% copper, and 2% chromium or molybdenum.'
Cost is a big big stopping point.
I have no idea how much, but it does a lot, so it cost a lot.

Latest posts

Back