Fruit Cakes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not really a mincemeat fan but when I saw the banana mincemeat bread mentioned I had to go looking for a recipe and found this easy one. Looks pretty interesting.

2 1/2 c. flour
1 tbsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 c. sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 1/2 c. mashed bananas
1 c. mincemeat (not condensed)
1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. chopped macadamia nuts
2 tbsp. powdered sugar

Beat sugar and oil until light. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Sift flour, soda and salt and add alternately with bananas. Beat in, a third at a time, into the sugar mixture. Fold in mincemeat and 1/2 cup nuts. Spoon batter into two greased and floured regular sized loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees about 1 1/4 hours, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Combine powdered sugar and remaining nuts and sprinkle over tops of loaves.

The bananas reminded me of Hummingbird Cake. Here's the original Southern Living recipe and an easy cake mix version from Pillsbury.
https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/hummingbird-cake-recipe
https://www.pillsburybaking.com/recipes/easy-hummingbird-cake-8778/
This bundt cake version from Duncan Hines looks like a winner because it will be a little more dense and I could add my dried fruits to it.

https://www.duncanhines.ca/recipes/cakes/dh/hummingbird-cake/
1 pkg Duncan Hines® Moist Deluxe® Golden Yellow Cake Mix

1 (3.4 oz) pkg vanilla instant pudding and pie filling

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple

reserved pineapple juice plus water equal to 1 cup

4 large eggs

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

1/2 medium-size ripe banana, mashed

1/4 cup chopped Maraschino cherries

Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease and flour 10-inch Bundt® or tube pan.

Combine cake mix, pudding mix, oil, pineapple, 1 cup juice and water mixture, eggs and cinnamon in large bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer until moistened. Beat a medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in banana, pecans and cherries. Pour into pan.

Bake at 350°F 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 25 minutes. Invert onto serving plate.

The REAL stuff...
Notice there is almost no 'cake' holding all of that gooey-goodness together:
fruit-cake.jpg

Recipe: https://www.restlesschipotle.com/fruitcakeit-was-inevitable/
It will have people screaming: "It's too expensive!!! gaah"
Full size:
fruitcake-3.jpg

Last edited:
And while all of us have seen our fair share of fruitcakes over holidays past, we didn’t know that most of those cakes likely came from just two small Southern towns: Claxton, Georgia and Corsicana, Texas. The fruitcakes from both towns old top spots on Amazon and both have highly loyal followings. Indeed, if you happen to Google, “Fruitcake Capital of the World,” you may find yourself reading Wikipedia pages about either town. So which should hold the title? Read on, and we’ll let you decide for yourself.

New England Mincemeat Filling​

INGREDIENTS

2/3 cup apple cider (may substitute cranberry juice)​

• SPONSORED BY ADVERTISING PARTNER
    Sponsored Video
    Watch to learn more
    LEARN MORE

• 2 cups whole cranberries, fresh or frozen
  • 1 cup raw cane sugar (or brown sugar)
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon, freshly ground if possible
  • 1/2 teaspoon both allspice and ginger
  • 1 cup currants
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 2 medium apples
  • 3 – 4 tablespoons brandy, port or maple whiskey
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons honey

INSTRUCTIONS

• In a large saucepan, warm the apple cider and dissolve sugar over low heat. Wash, core, and finely chop or grate apples.
  • Add the whole cranberries into the pot and stir to combine. Add cinnamon, ginger, and allspice, along with currants, raisins, dried cranberries, and apple.
  • Stir and simmer over medium-low heat until mixture starts to darken and has absorbed most of the liquid, about 20 minutes.
  • Stir occasionally. Remove from heat and add the brandy, port or whiskey, maple syrup, and honey. Beat well to incorporate everything and crush the cranberries slightly.
  • Spoon into sterilized jars and cover with lids. This will store in the refrigerator for several weeks.
  • May also be frozen for up to three months.
  • Simply use as you would any fruit pie filling to make pies or tarts with your favorite crust.
  • What The Heck Is Mincemeat?

New England Mincemeat Filling​

INGREDIENTS

2/3 cup apple cider (may substitute cranberry juice)​

• SPONSORED BY ADVERTISING PARTNER
    Sponsored Video
    Watch to learn more
    LEARN MORE

• 2 cups whole cranberries, fresh or frozen
  • 1 cup raw cane sugar (or brown sugar)
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon, freshly ground if possible
  • 1/2 teaspoon both allspice and ginger
  • 1 cup currants
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 2 medium apples
  • 3 – 4 tablespoons brandy, port or maple whiskey
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons honey

INSTRUCTIONS

• In a large saucepan, warm the apple cider and dissolve sugar over low heat. Wash, core, and finely chop or grate apples.
  • Add the whole cranberries into the pot and stir to combine. Add cinnamon, ginger, and allspice, along with currants, raisins, dried cranberries, and apple.
  • Stir and simmer over medium-low heat until mixture starts to darken and has absorbed most of the liquid, about 20 minutes.
  • Stir occasionally. Remove from heat and add the brandy, port or whiskey, maple syrup, and honey. Beat well to incorporate everything and crush the cranberries slightly.
  • Spoon into sterilized jars and cover with lids. This will store in the refrigerator for several weeks.
  • May also be frozen for up to three months.
  • Simply use as you would any fruit pie filling to make pies or tarts with your favorite crust.
  • What The Heck Is Mincemeat?
I ate almost anything as a child, but to me, mincemeat is just gross. It made me gag. Right there with fruitcake. Two of the nastiest things I've ever tasted in my life.

Latest posts

Back