Fun on the Farm Quiltalong

Discussion in 'Sewing, Quilting, Embroidery' started by CalicoKatie, Aug 18, 2018.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Nov 13, 2018 #121

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Neighbor Contributor

Nice!

Maxine in Oregon likes this.
  2. Nov 15, 2018 #122

CalicoKatie

CalicoKatie

CalicoKatie

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

I love that green star, Maxine! That looks great! When I first saw the pattern I didn't think I'd put the star on it but after seeing all the pictures, I see how much it adds to the block. I've gotten sidetracked working on some Dresden plate blocks and I'm still behind on this one. I'll have them all made before the next one comes out though.

For everybody making this farm BOM, Eleanor did a video on making the gambrel roof barn. It shows how to cut the pieces and lay them out.

MoBookworm1957 and Dani like this.
  3. Nov 15, 2018 #123

Maxine in Oregon

Maxine in Oregon

Maxine in Oregon

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Thanks Mo and Katie... it was fun to make.. the stem gave me pause on what fabric to use,, I have my Dresden made but not sewn down and haven't started the Barn other than to decide and locate what fabric I want to use.. I would like to include a Turkey Block on this quilt..to me it just seems to fit..

I'm heading for AZ for the winter again so it will be a couple of weeks before I can sew..I'm so excited as we are stopping by to see CoSunflower, Kim, on our way again. she is so AWESOME!! Kim is making dinner for us again too.. She makes a MEAN chicken enchilada casserole and a luscious Strawberry Cream Pie :) I wish she and I lived closer together.. I know we'd have a blast sewing and creating together.. we seem to have many "likes" the same..

Not sure when I'll get to post again but will as soon as I can.. Everyone keep well & Happy Sewing !

4. Nov 15, 2018 #124

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Neighbor Contributor

Be safe Maxine,
    Have fun visiting with kim.

COSunflower and CalicoKatie like this.
  5. Nov 17, 2018 #125

COSunflower

COSunflower

COSunflower

Thanks for the link to the heart Katie! I love it!!! Maxine and her hubby were here yesterday evening to visit on their way to AZ. ☺ Maxine keeps my machine humming with her gifts of fabric!!! I would have to sew 24 hrs a day to keep up with the creative ideas in my brain!!! I plan on making my barn tomorrow. I wonder what December's block will be??? I like your ideas of this Katie!!!!

CalicoKatie and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  6. Nov 18, 2018 #126

CalicoKatie

CalicoKatie

CalicoKatie

I know what you mean! No matter how much I sew, I can't keep up with all the quilts I'd like to make! If I have trouble going to sleep, I start mentally planning a quilt and by focusing on something relaxing, I usually drop off to sleep in the middle of counting my blocks and planning my sashing. lol I do think we'll get another animal for December. I remember Eleanor saying a couple of months ago that there would be more animals and this will be block number five so I think we're due.

I don't think I'll be sewing again until after Thanksgiving. I kept thinking it would be the last Thursday of the month and I had plenty of time so it caught me by surprise a couple of days ago when I realized it's this week. I have to spend the next couple of days cleaning. doing laundry and shopping then I'm going to cook all day Wednesday. By the time Thursday rolls around, I want to have almost everything done so I can spend the day with my kids and grandkids instead of in the kitchen where I usually am.
    :brewing: :huggs:

MoBookworm1957 and Patchouli like this.
  7. Nov 18, 2018 #127

COSunflower

COSunflower

COSunflower

Katie, I do the same thing!!! I share cooking duties with my DIL and take my part with me to their house. ☺ .It's easier to go there than for them to try and get all of the little kids ready to come here. Their house is bigger too. So I do all of my cooking the day before and all we have to do is heat things up in the oven when I get there. I am going to watch your video on the gambrel barn roof and then go start cutting things out. Like you I will probably get tired and have to take a short nap before actual sewing. Lol!!!

Heard from Maxine and Loyal - they will be in Reno tonight. They are such FUN and wonderful friends!!!! We told stories and laughed all evening!!!! I wish we lived closer to each other but oh if we did!!!! I think Loyal would book us BOTH a one way trip to the airport!!!! (Inside joke) HeeHee!!!

Dani, CalicoKatie and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  8. Nov 19, 2018 #128

Maxine in Oregon

Maxine in Oregon

Maxine in Oregon

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Yes as Kim said we're in Reno.. I read all your cooking and sewing ideas and can hardly wait to do both again.. we will be arriving in Wickenburg on Thanksgiving Day so I'll not be cooking.. There are some wonderful restaurants there so will relax & indulge on being served.. :) I will miss all the home cooking though..

I am anxious to get my sewing tent set up and get to creating.. Must make the Barn Block first.. going to watch that video.. Thanks for posting it Katie :)

YES we had such a fun time with Kim!!. We all laughed and talked and ate ( Kim is an awesome cook! ) and shared such wonderful companionship we hated for the evening to end.. we have already made plans to get together next Spring on our way home.. And just imagine, this incredible friendship started from exchanging Quilt Blocks!!!! QUILTERS Rock!!

9. Nov 22, 2018 #129

CalicoKatie

CalicoKatie

CalicoKatie

Dani, MoBookworm1957 and COSunflower like this.
  10. Nov 22, 2018 #130

Maxine in Oregon

Maxine in Oregon

Maxine in Oregon

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Yay I also saw the pattern morning.. :) I think I saw a couple of discrepancies in the pieces & the picture but it seems to be just applique so not difficult.. I'm so glad to have Tomas the turkey.. I like the Mexican name used for Thomas.. cool!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

11. Nov 22, 2018 #131

COSunflower

COSunflower

COSunflower

Yay!!! A turkey!!! My barn is all cut out and ready to sew. Baked and cooked all day yesterday and am going to my son's for dinner this afternoon. Will sew that barn tomorrow so that I can start picking out fabric for Tomas!!!!

12. Nov 30, 2018 #132

CalicoKatie

CalicoKatie

CalicoKatie

I woke up so happy this morning! Tomorrow is the first day of December and there's always so much excitement and everything is so pretty everywhere you look. I ordered some fabric a few days ago and it will be delivered this evening. And … and … a new farm pattern is coming out!! Is everybody ready for it? We've been really spoiled with the bonus patterns in October and November. I'm wondering if we'll be getting a December surprise, too. I liked that the pumpkin and turkey were seasonal without being too Halloween or Thanksgiving and a December bonus block could be made the same way. I got sidetracked on my sewing and started working on some Dresden Plates so I'm still behind on these. I think next week I'll try to make one block each day so that I'll be completely caught up. Simple pleasures for simple minds, folks, but I've been smiling all day long!
    :dancing: :huggs: :woo hoo:

13. Nov 30, 2018 #133

CalicoKatie

CalicoKatie

CalicoKatie

14. Dec 7, 2018 at 2:14 PM #134

COSunflower

COSunflower

COSunflower

Got my barn done but am waiting for January to do Tomas the Turkey and the cute cow. I'm too busy with Christmas sewing right now!!!!

15. Dec 7, 2018 at 3:18 PM #135

CalicoKatie

CalicoKatie

CalicoKatie

I know what you mean! I'm so behind on these that I'm not even going to try to work on them until next month. When I do get back to them, I'll regain my enthusiasm and should get caught up in no time. This past couple of months just got busy and I got sidetracked working on another project.

Patchouli and MoBookworm1957 like this.