Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they a cowhorn okra?
This is my first year growing the three okras in my post.
I have used Clemson Spineless okra all my life.
Clemson Spineless Okra is an open-pollinated okra variety that has been the standard for backyard gardeners and market farmers for many decades. This okra variety was an All-America Selections winner back in the 1930s and has been a favorite by many since. Productive plants produce pods that can reach 7-9" in length, but are best harvested between 3-4" long. Large plants will grow as large as 6' and taller in optimally-warm growing conditions. This is a great all-around variety for many cooking applications. It tastes great when used in soups and stews, but it also great for stewing, canning, frying, roasting, pickling and boiling.

Hi @joel, I love fried okra, but being a little north makes it a hit or miss deal.

We have found some varieties that grow well here, but they seem to come and go from an availability perspective. I have learned that if I move the plants outside before the end of May, the cool nights will really stunt their growth. Growing okra anywhere north of the 35 parallel is always going to be a crap shoot.

Yesterday we had temps above 75F and full sun, I opened up my raised bed tops after lunch but some of the plants looked like they had already had too much heat. It dropped to 38 last night, so I was out late last night closing things down. Today will be above 70 again, but we have rain coming in, so I will open them up again this morning.

The ebb flow system in the greenhouse worked well this year, so I plan to create a shelf in a shaded area for some container spinach using this method of watering. Anything that buys me a few more square feet of growing area is worth the effort.

The fruit on my indoor cucumbers are now about the size of petite sweet pickles, I am aiming for something about 5" long and slightly larger diameter than a stogie. The kind you just wash and eat with a salad...

I have not grown Jambalaya before, but it fruits in fifty days Hoss seed Co.
I am planting seeds in 4"w X 5"h peat pots to keep indoors for 4-6 weeks.
If I had your problem, I would put down Black plastic as soon as the snow melted, to warm the earth.
Plastic would suppress the weeds too.
Organic Garden had an article on Far North gardener starting watermelons in house or greenhouse & putting down black plastic to warm the earth.
This would give you a few more week for the melons or okra.
My curse is a blessing to okra in the five months of heat here in South Carolina.

Another Update, with the Rain 2 have beecome 4...

Black Grape Vine Leaves..(2)

2 mini Daffs...Surprise...

Apple Tree Buds...

Attachments

• March15th2024 006.jpg
    March15th2024 006.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • March15th2024 015.jpg
    March15th2024 015.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • March15th2024 001.jpg
    March15th2024 001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • March15th2024 013.jpg
    March15th2024 013.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • March15th2024 012.jpg
    March15th2024 012.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Yesterday was a rainy so spent it in the greenhouse.

20240315_161007.jpg

Most of the time was up-potting the blackberry seedlings. All that had two sets of true leaves got up graded. The stragglers were left to grom more.

20240315_161014.jpg

Did general clean up and rearranged. The blackberry clones are doing well.

20240315_161025_HDR.jpg

The grape vines are setting leaves and this year's clones are breaking buds.

20240315_161041.jpg

20240315_161034.jpg

The True Potatoes seeds have sprouted. They are tiny!

Ben

I ordered some heavy duty starter trays, some 1/2" bulkhead fittings, and some clear 1/2" tubing. I'm planning to build an 8'X2' shelf under a solar array and use it to shield delicate plants from mid-summers sun. I figure I can place 7 starter trays (each holds about 6 midsize plants) rigged with the ebb-flow irrigation system.

I ordered some heavy duty starter trays, some 1/2" bulkhead fittings, and some clear 1/2" tubing. I'm planning to build an 8'X2' shelf under a solar array and use it to shield delicate plants from mid-summers sun. I figure I can place 7 starter trays (each holds about 6 midsize plants) rigged with the ebb-flow irrigation system.
I would be interested in photos when it's up and running :)

I would be interested in photos when it's up and running :)
Right now I have 2 units running, they are on the 2'X4' metal shelves, the trays are on shelves above with the water tank on the bottom shelf. I use a different pump to feed each shelf, on the outdoor unit I plan only having 1 pump (because the trays will be on a single level) but will put a valve going into each tray so I can turn them on and off (no need to water and empty tray). I also need to install a rain gutter at the bottom of the solar array to feed the watering system holding tank. Right now I'm in the planning, ordering, and gathering stage; but next weekend I will start the making it stage :)
Due to my limited space I have had to transition to using the space vertically. I have noticed that the oldest system (it's been running since July) is starting to gather some algae so I ordered some hydroponic algae control chemicals, I ordered some liquid plant food while I was at it.

The first system used 2 fittings per tray, one for fill and the other as an overflow, I have found that is unnecessary as it only take a minute to water everything. The second unit only has 1 fitting per tray, the water will drain back down the fill line once the pump is turned off so where I place the bulkhead fittings is very important for setting the water level. The white sealant did not work well, but the automotive black RTV has done a great job at sealing around the fittings.

Here is a picture of the 2 shelf system using a single bulkhead fitting per starter tray:
PXL_20240224_151241018.jpg

The new outdoor system will be mounted about 3' off the ground under this solar array.
PXL_20240224_151901230.jpg

After church ⛪️ playing outside on this beautiful day ☀️. Planted carrots and spinach outside, prepping the beds, got the fountain running, Hubby helped me and got a couple fruit trees 🌳 that are in huge pots moved to better locations. He burned the pile that had the Christmas tree 🎄 and other branches etc that we’ve picked up. I’ve topped off 2 of the 3 raised beds. The 3rd will be topped off as the items in it are harvested and replanted.
Also seeded more in the house 😁. Happy spring 🌱

Right now I have 2 units running, they are on the 2'X4' metal shelves, the trays are on shelves above with the water tank on the bottom shelf. I use a different pump to feed each shelf, on the outdoor unit I plan only having 1 pump (because the trays will be on a single level) but will put a valve going into each tray so I can turn them on and off (no need to water and empty tray). I also need to install a rain gutter at the bottom of the solar array to feed the watering system holding tank. Right now I'm in the planning, ordering, and gathering stage; but next weekend I will start the making it stage :)
Due to my limited space I have had to transition to using the space vertically. I have noticed that the oldest system (it's been running since July) is starting to gather some algae so I ordered some hydroponic algae control chemicals, I ordered some liquid plant food while I was at it.

The first system used 2 fittings per tray, one for fill and the other as an overflow, I have found that is unnecessary as it only take a minute to water everything. The second unit only has 1 fitting per tray, the water will drain back down the fill line once the pump is turned off so where I place the bulkhead fittings is very important for setting the water level. The white sealant did not work well, but the automotive black RTV has done a great job at sealing around the fittings.

Here is a picture of the 2 shelf system using a single bulkhead fitting per starter tray:
View attachment 126627

The new outdoor system will be mounted about 3' off the ground under this solar array.
View attachment 126628
Not sure why after all you’ve posted, but this post brought to mind those clips of a kid who had everything rigged up to get them out of bed and teeth brushed and hair combed etc and on their way all with “instruments” to do the things like put toothpaste on the toothbrush and bread in the toaster etc. not sure if this makes sense, but the mental pix is hilarious 😂

Not sure why after all you’ve posted, but this post brought to mind those clips of a kid who had everything rigged up to get them out of bed and teeth brushed and hair combed etc and on their way all with “instruments” to do the things like put toothpaste on the toothbrush and bread in the toaster etc. not sure if this makes sense, but the mental pix is hilarious 😂
I think you have a pretty good picture of my mentality (Back to the future's Dr Brown :) ). I am an experimentalist, I can't rest without making something work better. Because of my wife's health I have to use technology to buy time. My work used to take me away from home for 3 or 4 days a week, 3 or 4 weeks a month: this cost me a number of gardens, so I turned to automation to maintain my garden even while I'm away. The growing stations have each been a learning experience, learning how to grow things while only spending a few hours per week on them.

I currently have projects on gardening, water harvesting, power collection and management, and I am always looking for a way to get more from the resources that I have.

My dream would be to pack up all my experiments and move to a homestead property where I could create a completely independent sustainable lifestyle. I don't know where it would be (TN, WV, Kansas, NV, and UT all have possibilities), but I could envision something between 5 and 50 acres.

I think you have a pretty good picture of my mentality (Back to the future's Dr Brown :) ). I am an experimentalist, I can't rest without making something work better. Because of my wife's health I have to use technology to buy time. My work used to take me away from home for 3 or 4 days a week, 3 or 4 weeks a month: this cost me a number of gardens, so I turned to automation to maintain my garden even while I'm away. The growing stations have each been a learning experience, learning how to grow things while only spending a few hours per week on them.

I currently have projects on gardening, water harvesting, power collection and management, and I am always looking for a way to get more from the resources that I have.

My dream would be to pack up all my experiments and move to a homestead property where I could create a completely independent sustainable lifestyle. I don't know where it would be (TN, WV, Kansas, NV, and UT all have possibilities), but I could envision something between 5 and 50 acres.
Come on down to TN. We'd be glad to have you around

Yesterday was a rainy so spent it in the greenhouse.

View attachment 126573

Most of the time was up-potting the blackberry seedlings. All that had two sets of true leaves got up graded. The stragglers were left to grom more.

View attachment 126574

Did general clean up and rearranged. The blackberry clones are doing well.

View attachment 126575

The grape vines are setting leaves and this year's clones are breaking buds.

View attachment 126576

View attachment 126577

The True Potatoes seeds have sprouted. They are tiny!

Ben
Neb, what potting mix do you use & how often do you water..
I had ten fig cutting that did not root & turned black, the other rooted with no problem.

Today we ate broccoli out of the garden, raised beds with lids are fun. I planted some more green onions. It got up to 50F today but it's still getting cool at night. I went ahead and gave all the raised beds a drink of water, with the lids closed they are seeing temps close to 80F and they have not been getting much water. I have to go back out and disconnect the hose because we are expecting a light freeze over night.

Neb, what potting mix do you use & how often do you water..
I had ten fig cutting that did not root & turned black, the other rooted with no problem.
Missed your question about soil.

I use "Happy Frog". It is carried by the garden place over the hill from my place. It is popular with High Times types so it is carried year round.

Outside my go-to is from a local landscape place called Special Mix. I think it is leaf compost and mushroom manure. It runs about $30-45 a ton. Not bad price when purchased in bulk. I will try adding some sand to the mix.

Ben

My bulkhead fittings arrived last night, but got word the extra-heavy duty starter trays got delayed. The wife has finally realized that I have clumps of green onions growing all over the place and she has started using them in place of store bought yellow onions. We are now going through a few handfuls of them every week. I'm glad it's spring because I can easily stock on seeds for them now, if it were fall it would be a problem.

Started grafting this afternoon.I grafted 10 trees and planted them in nursery bed.More to go tomorrow.Its a chore keeping up with all cultivars i am doing this year.I couldnt imagine what folks that do this all the time with huge amounts do to stay organized.

Trying to get the blackberry runs opened up before they get full foliage.

I can't get enough of a break to get the things I need to do done, I may have to hire a couple of things done, It is aggravating when you get old enough to be slower than you think you should be, your hand shakes a little more then it used to, and you cant just jump up on the top of the barrel like you used to.

I don't like hiring things done because they always do them the way they do it instead of my way HEHEHEHEH.

I need to be doing mowing, ditching, disking, planting, burning, and building an engine all tomorrow and wife has a dental appointment uptown about 35 miles away ALL AFTERNOON IS BZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

Opened my extra heavy duty starter trays, the box was a little light. Instead of 20 trays, there were 3 trays in the box.. :( not happy.... Will be returning to Amazon shortly... On the good side, I found my stash of "extra" seed starter trays so I will still start my project on time (less the couple of hours to take the box to the UPS store...) I am very much annoyed, but not as mad as normal..... I may be ill. ;)

I guess cleaning downed trees off some of my blueberries counts as gardening
I need to take out some pine trees, I left them to have a little frost protection, but it did not help at all last year.

Last edited:
Neb or anyone who has blackberry seedlings.
"Most of the time was up-potting the blackberry seedlings. "
Have any blackberry seedling produced berries yet?
My BIL had some blackberries someone give him, he potted up the the whole berry, just to see what would happen.
He used a hand full of berries & got a hundred or so plant that he sold for five dollar each in 3" X 2" pots.
He gave me the last fifteen, because he need the room on his potting trailer.
They are only about eight months old & I am wondering if they will make fruit & how close to the parent plant they will be?

I need to take out some pine trees, I left them to have a little frost protection, but t did not help at all last year.
My trees that went down were White Pines I planted before we built the house. Left overs from a border i planted on 2 sides. I'm gonna measure the big ones and see if they'd do for saw logs. Gotta be 50' long, just not sure of the diameter.

Latest posts

Back