Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two pepper plants I started in mid October that I wintered over and have tried to kill three times but maybe I finished them today HEHEHEHEH.

They were doing well and I put them out for sun that night it got below 30F and I remembered to get them when it was about 35f so they didn't get too bad of a chill Then I put them out for some sun, it was not going to bee cool but there was gonna be some rain the next day, the pots, had small drains on them because inside I just wet them around the top enough to keep them damp and didn't fill them, the pots had coconut fiber in the bottom so no big deal.

It came a down pour like 40 days and nights and the pots filled with water. I drained them but the plants were loose in the soil so I packed them and added some commercial topsoil.

The topsoil was really not as much soil as it was mulch so they have been losing color and today I just said OH WELLLLL and took a small shovel got them out of the pots got some good sandy topsoil and clay from the yard like I should have when they drowned and planted them in large pots.

I have a dunce cap in the back room to fit my head when I lookin the mirror sometimes it is so big it covers me up HEHEHEHEH.

I shoot for 8-12", but I don't measure at all. I'm sure some are tighter than that. I grew them in a 3' be last year with 4 rows. I got 2 bushel from 2 3x12 beds. I was happy

Flatlander, I planted mine Wednesday this week. We used to plant a lot of stuff on Good Friday. But now days I try and go more by the planting signs. Plus this year I wanted to get some taters going early, so I can harvest around July 4th. If I can, I'll replant anything with a sprout to get a late harvest in October. Last year as an experiment I replanted in mid August and got half a bushel of smaller taters before frost in October. Another 3-4 weeks they would have made a good size.
Is there something special about planting potatoes on Good Friday?

Some New Openings this Easter AM...

Just Click to show real size...

Attachments

• OutlikeaLamb 006.jpg
    OutlikeaLamb 006.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • OutlikeaLamb 002.jpg
    OutlikeaLamb 002.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • OutlikeaLamb 008.jpg
    OutlikeaLamb 008.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • OutlikeaLamb 015.jpg
    OutlikeaLamb 015.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • OutlikeaLamb 012.jpg
    OutlikeaLamb 012.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • OutlikeaLamb 011.jpg
    OutlikeaLamb 011.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • OutlikeaLamb 017.jpg
    OutlikeaLamb 017.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Today I fired up the garden irrigation pump, the pump is fine, I have a couple of pressure regulators that are leaking, small fry stuff. There is still something digging in my potato patch, I've already removed 2 possum, may need to change tactics...

I am trying to get the video my BIL sent my wife on facebook of the real farm worker in the family, it is something to see.

We call him "Little Bo" he is something else, most adults will have a hard time handling him if he decides they won't he goes full tilt all the time !!!!

The family has a new generation of farmers.

I do my potatoes in grow bags. Planted ten bags, 2 taters per bag. I have a half day on Friday so I’ll finish up the lady 10 bags then. We’re expecting rain tomorrow through Thursday.

I planted my peas on St. Pat’s but then a freaky frost happened an no sprouting yet. I’m going to try and get more planted by the weekend.

I wont be able to plant before June 15th ..because still frost danger
then you loose your vegetables that you planted :confused:
Can't You start some earlier inside...?!? Or will the kitties use them for Litter Boxes...?!?

? Does anybody in the Lower 48 happen to Buy Fresh Grapefruit and Oranges with the Big Seeds in Them...?!?

1711926663136.png

1711926712233.png

All the Ones down here are barely even visible to the eye and They just won't cut it...!!! I did Manage to find a Grapefruit last year that had a couple of pretty good size seeds that got Me raising 4 plants, One that is doing good and 3 that are small, but still alive...!! I would like to get at least 10 of each so I can share them with Me Neighbors down here and maybee, just maybee We all will bee able to have fresh fruit in the coming years...!

If anyone can get some Please let Me know so We can werk something out... :thumbs: Thanks or is it TIA...?!?

Went out looking for the Progress of Me Bearded Iris's and did not like what I saw, Old Man Winter(Lion) May bee on the way out down here but the Wind Pushing Him Out was a Strong One...

20240401_092053[1].jpg

Ended Up using Clear Packing Tape to fix 'em up...!!!

Now I will bee going by the Dollartree to get some of those 1$ Metal Stakes to poke in the ground next to the new ones as They show up...!!

Attachments

• AprilFools2024 002.jpg
    AprilFools2024 002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • AprilFools2024 009.jpg
    AprilFools2024 009.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • AprilFools2024 010.jpg
    AprilFools2024 010.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Went out looking for the Progress of Me Bearded Iris's and did not like what I saw, Old Man Winter(Lion) May bee on the way out down here but the Wind Pushing Him Out was a Strong One...

View attachment 127525

Ended Up using Clear Packing Tape to fix 'em up...!!!

Now I will bee going by the Dollartree to get some of those 1$ Metal Stakes to poke in the ground next to the new ones as They show up...!!
I cant wait to be able to work outside :confused:
First I will have to burry my cat BluBlu who passed in the Winter
and make a nice grave for him

Do some outside clean up
Burn branches
Lots of birds singing here ..that is a good sign
Then it will be start with brush cutter
Lawnmower
then tractor
Gardening

Today we had rain, I'm so happy I got 2 more beds planted as we are expecting rain for the next 3 days that will give them a start. I now have lots of lettuce and spinach (about 3 plantings with 3 weeks between each), the first planting are reaching harvest and replant time. I placed my order with dripdepot, small order, barely enough for free shipping. At lunch time I checked the raised beds and found some fresh diggings :( set my trap, after dinner I discovered the biggest squirrel I've ever seen. I took it for a drive in the woods and released it. I don't want to hurt the wild life, I just want them to go to a different restaurant.. :) Now, after September rolls around the rules change and they all become legal food... But they have been doing too much damage to let them stay the summer.

More grafting this afternoon...yea...i had my fill of grafting for this year..i usually just do a few grafts...this year...i will have to think a bit....just a few more to go...unless i decide on getting more root stock on a whim !

A garden funny. Any time I plant flowers, Hubby harasses me about not being able to eat them. Last night he was walking around watering things. He said what's this? As he was watering a columbine plant. I've had it for years and it's beautiful - kinda a blushy peach color. I told him and he looked at me. I just said I know - you can't eat that. He laughed. To be fair it's maybe 1 ft2 for the flower amongst about 20+ ft2 of strawberries which he loves.

A late start for potatoes... got a peck, 100lb of 13-13-13 and peaches n cream seed. Green plants... got a flat of cabbage (2 types), half flat of lettuce. And a half flat of assorted tomatoes and melons. (the cows were standing there so i took a pic of them too, pretty little calf toward the right peeking thru the gate)

20240402_024gdnPl Brwn48.jpg
20240402_024gdnPl Brwn51.jpg

20240402_24gdn_650a.jpg

Onions were set out last fall, survived 2 hard freezes. (at the end of the long row)

20240402_24gdn_725.jpg
20240402_24gdn_729.jpg
20240402_heifers58.jpg

Last edited:
A late start for potatoes... got a peck, 100lb of 13-13-13 and peaches n cream seed. Green plants... got a flat of cabbage (2 types), half flat of lettuce. And a half flat of assorted tomatoes and melons. (the cows were standing there so i took a pic of them too, pretty little calf toward the right peeking thru the gate.

View attachment 127574View attachment 127575
View attachment 127576

Onions were set out last fall, survived 2 hard freezes. (at the end of the long row)

View attachment 127577View attachment 127578View attachment 127579
And your happy photobomber 😁

Is there an old tractors thread I LOVE OLD TRACTORS!!!!!! BIL has a couple of 2cylinder JD 420 and 430s a Super C Farmall and an A Farmall I have a 72 Ford 4000 diesel a 135 Massey Ferguson diesel and we have tons of drag and 3pt equipment.

FIL had some 2 Cylinder JD 720s when his great great grandfathers farm was still working, like so many he let his kids take it over and they lost it for about 50,000 dollars 30 years ago, trying to start a Western Auto store in a town full of traders. It was half of the original farm His brother had the other half section.

We should have bought it back the person who bought it raised the price to 118,000 as soon as the ink was dry.

BTW @Peanut looks like a Ford Jobmaster or 8N from the rear I would love to see it in all its hard working glory!!!

The dirtier the better HEHEHEHEH I like dirty stuff!!!!

Is there an old tractors thread I LOVE OLD TRACTORS!!!!!! BIL has a couple of 2cylinder JD 420 and 430s a Super C Farmall and an A Farmall I have a 72 Ford 4000 diesel a 135 Massey Ferguson diesel and we have tons of drag and 3pt equipment.

FIL had some 2 Cylinder JD 720s when his great great grandfathers farm was still working, like so many he let his kids take it over and they lost it for about 50,000 dollars 30 years ago, trying to start a Western Auto store in a town full of traders. It was half of the original farm His brother had the other half section.

We should have bought it back the person who bought it raised the price to 118,000 as soon as the ink was dry.

BTW @Peanut looks like a Ford Jobmaster or 8N from the rear I would love to see it in all its hard working glory!!!

The dirtier the better HEHEHEHEH I like dirty stuff!!!!
There is this one that didn't go very far - but feel free to expand 😊
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/ol-iron.19502/#post-618363

Latest posts

Back