Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you grow Citrus plants/trees?
The Princess has a 5-in-one citrus tree.

20240404_202742.jpg

20240404_202752_HDR.jpg

Never know what kind of fruit it will produce each year. Last year was small oranges.

Ben

I am about ready to harvest a fresh crop of snow, again
Not sure if you have realized it, but no matter the thread, when I mention snow I put the little love emoji ☺️

I had all my cayennes hanging in the pantry. Got them taken down and jarred. Saved a bunch of seeds and am thinking I might plant one 😊. I only had one plant last year and had tons of them- kept giving them away. I’m going to infuse some oil for a salve.

We had a freeze last night, not good for young plants. I've still got critters digging in my raised beds without tops. But, so far I have relocated 5 of the buggers. I was hoping to work in the garden tomorrow as I had off, but a work deadline came up and the person who I thought had it covered, retired with 1 week notice, told on Monday, gone on Friday.... :( I will do a grocery run early tomorrow, I would love to stop by the nursery and see if they have something I just can't live without... ;)

We had a freeze last night, not good for young plants. I've still got critters digging in my raised beds without tops. But, so far I have relocated 5 of the buggers. I was hoping to work in the garden tomorrow as I had off, but a work deadline came up and the person who I thought had it covered, retired with 1 week notice, told on Monday, gone on Friday.... :( I will do a grocery run early tomorrow, I would love to stop by the nursery and see if they have something I just can't live without... ;)
Do it- make the stop 😊

1 week notice is just not right!

I gave my employer 20 year notice and stayed on a bit to ease the the transition.

Ben

I agree. I told mine last year gave them 3 years. So far crickets
If they are like mine it will stay quiet.

I kept a count down calendar tacked to my wall and crossed off each day as I departed the office.

About 10 days before my last day my boss habitually walked up to my cube and recited "Ben, I need you to look at this specification." and started to hand me an inch thick specification. I looked him, looked at my calendar then back at him and asked "Do you really want to get me involved a new project?"
He said " No, maybe not."

One of the biggest threats to big projects is critical personnel change mid project.

Ben

This morning I ran the grocery errand, had to go to 2 stores to get what was on the list. But that forced me to drive by 2 HDs and 1 Lows, stopped at each. One didn't have any garden plants, but one had a nice variety of greens like cabbage, broccoli, lettuces, spinach, and onions. I picked up a couple of the plants that I didn't have in my beds yet and a bunch of onions. This will give me something to do this weekend. :)

How do you crush the soul of a gardener when you’re Mother Nature with a bipolar disorder and you don’t want them out in the yard and garden yet? Have three days where it’s almost 70 degrees and then slap them with a morning snowstorm. It’s cold and rainy and miserable out. Rumor is we will be close to 70 when the weekend is over. Of course.
IMG_3142.jpeg

? Does anybody in the Lower 48 happen to Buy Fresh Grapefruit and Oranges with the Big Seeds in Them...?!?

View attachment 127477

View attachment 127478

All the Ones down here are barely even visible to the eye and They just won't cut it...!!! I did Manage to find a Grapefruit last year that had a couple of pretty good size seeds that got Me raising 4 plants, One that is doing good and 3 that are small, but still alive...!! I would like to get at least 10 of each so I can share them with Me Neighbors down here and maybee, just maybee We all will bee able to have fresh fruit in the coming years...!

If anyone can get some Please let Me know so We can werk something out... :thumbs: Thanks or is it TIA...?!?
I haven’t seen any oranges with seeds lately. Limes also don’t seem to have seeds. I started grapefruit about 4 years ago and they are about 18 inches tall now. I’ve started lemons and some how they didn’t make it. Now I have a lemon that is about a year old and about 4 inches tall. I would like to have a few lemons and limes.

Peach and pear trees are blooming. It would be great to get some peaches this year. Usually we have a freeze and then no peaches.
After many attempts, I have a blueberry plant that is coming back! It has new leaves! Maybe I’ll try another one or two again this year.
Our pear trees have a zillion blooms as of this afternoon.

20240406_142256_HDR~2.jpg

If they survive the predicted 31 degree low tonight, we may have good harvest this year.

Ben

? Does anybody in the Lower 48 happen to Buy Fresh Grapefruit and Oranges with the Big Seeds in Them...?!?

View attachment 127477

View attachment 127478

All the Ones down here are barely even visible to the eye and They just won't cut it...!!! I did Manage to find a Grapefruit last year that had a couple of pretty good size seeds that got Me raising 4 plants, One that is doing good and 3 that are small, but still alive...!! I would like to get at least 10 of each so I can share them with Me Neighbors down here and maybee, just maybee We all will bee able to have fresh fruit in the coming years...!

If anyone can get some Please let Me know so We can werk something out... :thumbs: Thanks or is it TIA...?!?
Can Anyone Help with this...?!?

This morning I weeded a little, I planted some store bought cabbages, and I placed deer netting over many of the new beds. My war with the critters has reached an impasse. I also added some soil to some of the beds getting ready for spring planting.

After lunch I harvested some green onions, enough cleaned onions to fill a 3 gallon bucket. I still have a bunch to harvest, but we can only use so many at a single time...

While I was cleaning the onions a critter bombed me from above, splattered on my head. I'm going to take a shower now.

After that, I'm going to make a template to drill so holes for bulkhead fittings in containers that I will use for outdoor containers.

Tomorrow, I want to re-plant a bunch of red and dark green romaine in them once I have the fittings installed and the lines and pumps set up.

does anyone have a trick or tool that spreads carrot seeds so they are not all clumped together?
I bought one on Amazon the year before last and it totally didn't work
it is amazing that carrots are still relatively cheap at the store. So they must be easy to grow. But I always have a hard time. First they didn't grow straight, so I made a few raised bed boxes with lots of compost and some sand mixed in and they grew fine. But so many are always clumped together and if you pull one out all come out. It's way too hard to try to pick up 1 seed and put it in the ground

The Princess has a 5-in-one citrus tree.

View attachment 127726

View attachment 127727

Never know what kind of fruit it will produce each year. Last year was small oranges.

Ben

I have a dead one, the leaves just started falling off and it died. How do you keep this thing alive in a pot ? I fertilized, it was under a growlight, got regular water too. I have a manderine orange that looks pretty good.
but what do you mean in produces a oranges one year and lemons the next?! How is that possible?

root stock is waking up...i see tiny red leaves popping out along stem starting at ground...hope sap flows to tip and pushes the scion leaves out and grow tall this season. we shall see...just how many grafts i done correctly...hero or a zero....lol

Latest posts

Back