Good Morning Everyone.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I popped outside for a bit this morning and found out it's in the low 20sF out there. On mornings like this I am glad I put a heat pump on the shop and garage!

In the middle of the afternoon here so we have already been on the move.

Started off the morning with DH weed spraying 3/4's of the 1/2 acre property we have here and while he was doing that I weeded 2 x 7 x 2mt garden beds. I then raked up all of the available dried leaves from around the shed and the ends of the garden beds and put it all in the wheelbarrow in the shed so we can run over them with the mulching push mower. We will use the dried leaves for some more vegetable garden mulch as we are getting into the hotter summer months here.

DH is having a nap to rest his back from all that walking and when he gets up we will probably have a cup of hot chocolate and then head into town to take my watch in to have the battery changed in it. Note to self must buy a tool to take off the back of the wrist watch and do it myself next time as it would be much cheaper.

Later after we get back and it is cooler we will water the newly planted corn and silverbeet seeds planted in the garden with rainwater from our tanks and wash up the dishes, clean the kitchen benches and dry them and put them away.

Just seemed so appropriate...

View attachment 21

Jim

Another thing I've never been able to figure out. I heard women folk comment how much pain they experience when giving birth. Then a few years later they want to do a repeat! Never heard any men getting a blow to their privates say, "Hey. I want to experience that pain again!"

Another thing I've never been able to figure out. I heard women folk comment how much pain they experience when giving birth. Then a few years later they want to do a repeat! Never heard any men getting a blow to their privates say, "Hey. I want to experience that pain again!"

I know you weren't really asking, but having as many kids as I do I have asked this same question. Turns out the female body produces a chemical after child birth that creates a type of amnesia so the fairer sex forgets the pain to some extent. This is the same chemical that I believe is released when people voted for Obama the first time. :D

Well i wasn't going to be working at the mountain this year but things have changed and im back there part-time. Actually very happy about that. It keeps me normalish during the winter. So tomorrow night 7pm i will be making snow!! Can't wait! I will try and get a sunrise pic for ya guys and gals.

On Thursday DH and I went and helped a friend clean her home as she was moving to another area. That was an experience to say the least as we now see how untidily the other half live :eek: but we managed to totally clean 3 rooms and both felt ill and sneezed for hours afterwards when we got home. Oh how I love allergy meds and good old fashioned soap and water and DH does too. (Reminder to self to wear a mask next time we clean) but fear our friends may think we are being rude or take allergy meds before we go to clean. To clarify here I have severe allergies to dust and mould and most of our friends are sadly of the opinion that dusting or deep cleaning is something to be done on a once every 2 - 3 year basis :dunno: . DH and I are an anomaly :D.

Got home and after a bit of a break I weeded 2 x 7 x 2mt garden beds and collected all the fallen Eucalypt ironbark tree twigs and put them under the base of the tree to dry out for a while and when dried we will collect them and put them on the veranda for added kindling for next winters fires.

My back is now trashed as I have lower back nerve damage so taking it a little slower and more delicately until the pain improves.

For Friday it was our weekly house deep cleaning and washing day.

We put on two loads of washing and it started to pour with rain so we had an easy time of it and threw it in the clothes dryer to dry, not very efficient on electricity but it did the job as we have no undercover areas to dry clothing on that the rain doesn't reach as the rain swirls :( . Good news is that we use our clothes dryer about 10 times a year at most as we can dry our clothing on the outdoor clothes line even in winter. We then folded up 3 loads of washing and put it away.

I then deep cleaned the bathroom and toilet for the week and DH vacuumed the whole house. Moved onto the kitchen where DH washed the dishes and cleaned the kitchen benches and I wiped them and put them away. I then soaked the kitchen wash clothes and sponges in bleach and DH washed them out with hot water from the kettle and now they smell and look much cleaner.

As a complete sidenote to @The Lazy L and @Sentry18 not all women experience massive amounts of pain during child birth. I was a rarity and had my first in 2 hours and my second in 19 minutes from go to wo. I didn't experience a lot of pain and for me ( I know ladies hate me with a passion) it was like going for a takeaway burger through a drive through. I was even ribbed (seriously got told off) by the other ladies in the birthing rooms next to me at how quick my births were and the fact I must have had the smallest babies in creation. In fact both children broke records for length and head circumference and then my fellow birthing mothers in the ward then hated me more because my babies were so big.

My first was only longer as previous DH didn't want him born on the 13th so I held off until just after midnight so he would have been born in about an hour.

As a complete sidenote to @The Lazy L and @Sentry18 not all women experience massive amounts of pain during child birth. I was a rarity and had my first in 2 hours and my second in 19 minutes from go to wo. I didn't experience a lot of pain and for me ( I know ladies hate me with a passion) it was like going for a takeaway burger through a drive through. I was even ribbed (seriously got told off) by the other ladies in the birthing rooms next to me at how quick my births were and the fact I must have had the smallest babies in creation. In fact both children broke records for length and head circumference and then my fellow birthing mothers in the ward then hated me more because my babies were so big.

My first was only longer as previous DH didn't want him born on the 13th so I held off until just after midnight so he would have been born in about an hour.

I won't share that with my wife. :) When the Mrs. and I were in the birthing room for our first child, there was a woman in the next room over screaming her head off. It was both unnerving and disturbing. Took my wife several hours until she gave birth and it was unpleasant for sure but not near as bad as it was for that other lady. A few kids later we were in the screamers room and my wife had the toughest most painful delivery of them all. So we decided it was the room you give birth in that determines the amount of pain. ;)

Easy day today as my back is still hurting, think I have pulled a muscle in it :( . Trying to avoid Panadol as it makes me sleepy and dopey kind of like taking sleeping tablets for me so using Arnica cream which is taking down the swelling and reducing the pain. Should be right in a few days.

I hand watered the lawns with saved grey water from our showers and washing machine which keeps our grass nice and green even in summer. DH has turned on the drip irrigation for both the front and back vegetable beds. He has also made a yummy chocolate fudge sauce made from of course melted chocolate, cream and golden syrup which we had poured in ample amounts over tinned pears, yum, yum.

Nothing else got done at all and it is so good to have a complete down day of not doing much at all.

Last edited:

Thats the way it went for me as well. I was reading a book waiting for the sky to fall and about 4 chapters in, there was a baby and no one around for the event. If my water hadn't broken, I would not have had a clue and dropped the kid on his head in a parking lot or something.

Good morning all. In my stand early today. 6:00.....beautiful day!
151282224215114698661.jpg
15128222727871677209826.jpg
15128222065501920639384.jpg

Bon jour!
I am so glad it's the weekend. Tough, long week. Long late work hours. My assistant is out till Tuesday, so it's long hours for me. Survived husband's Christmas work party last night, and it was really nice. Today is house cleaning, Sams Club shopping, and granddaughter will be singing with the American Heritage Girls at a local senior center. So, full day already!

I know you weren't really asking, but having as many kids as I do I have asked this same question. Turns out the female body produces a chemical after child birth that creates a type of amnesia so the fairer sex forgets the pain to some extent. This is the same chemical that I believe is released when people voted for Obama the first time. :D

See I told you. :D. Then they voted for his watchdog Bloody Hilleary proving ' liberalism is a mental disorder', MS.:eek:

Latest posts

Back