Hashbuilt

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last couple of weeks I’ve had crews working on my Grandparents old farm house. We sort of remodeled the inside around 10 years ago. It’s sitting vacant but I have a son that wants to move up there in a couple of years. The big concern was the roof, it wasn’t leaking but it had the original cedar shingles with 4 layers of asphalt shingles on top of those. Basically the house was built in 1905 and the roof had never been removed. I just knew the decking would be bad but after all of the layers of roofing was removed it was solid! The original decking was 2x rough sawn oak. That probably the reason it was able to hold the weight of all the shingles.

IMG_0594.png
imagejpeg_0.jpeg
imagejpeg_0.jpeg
imagejpeg_0.jpeg

Isn’t that about the truth!
I was under drinking age when friends brought a keg into town from Seattle. My place was the most suitable. Kegs were not available on the island back then. When Dad found out he went through the roof. "If you ever, EVER, have another keg, you better invite me."

That cedar shake roof is just like the roof I helped my foster dad pull off his home when I was young, using a shovel, that's really a good looking old home. A few years ago I cleared off all the old three tab roofing on our home and went to rib-lock painted steel panels, best thing I've ever done, even the 10' X 10' shed I built has a metal roof.

We have replaced floors and joist in several places in the home over the years but I’d love to tear them all out and completely rebuild it. I doubt if I ever do that, maybe the kid can do that someday. The old place has a great all brick smokehouse and a nice barn. It would have been one of the nicest homes in the area when it was built. The original owner only lived there about 6 months before he hung himself in the barn. The old barn has always gave me the willies when I was a little kid.

What are the specs on that place, Hash? It looks like a square building, maybe 36x36, no basement? I'm looking for something very similar here in Iowa but with a full dry basement, preferably at least partially finished...
Id say it’s just a fuz bigger than that and no basement. It’s built really close to the ground. When you have to crawl under it you have to crawl between the joists and dig to the next row. When we have had to work on it in the last few years we pulled up the floors for plumbing repairs and such. We are all too old and fat to crawl under it these days. 🤣

We have replaced floors and joist in several places in the home over the years but I’d love to tear them all out and completely rebuild it. I doubt if I ever do that, maybe the kid can do that someday. The old place has a great all brick smokehouse and a nice barn. It would have been one of the nicest homes in the area when it was built. The original owner only lived there about 6 months before he hung himself in the barn. The old barn has always gave me the willies when I was a little kid.
Why did he hang himself?

In an old place we owned, had two front doors side by side, house built early 1900s. It was said it was for the family funerals, in one door, out the other, I don’t know.
That is a really cool house, @hashbrown
There is a superstition that your first time in a house, it is bad luck to leave through the same door you entered.

Latest posts

Back