HELP! Any Mechanics Around?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SuperV will have to ask him but I think it has chain,not belt.
The OHC Nissan Z-24 engine with a chain drive cam is why I developed the shortcut.
Not possible to time the cam on that one without pulling the whole front off of the engine.
This b*tch:
z24t_1_1.jpg

Last edited:
Guess who is liking this truck less every minute,if you said me your right?

according to the news there is no place to go ,we can't even leave the house ' why do we need a truck'?:dunno:
We do have my van and thanks to him it runs great.

The OHC Nissan Z-24 engine with a chain drive cam is why I developed the shortcut.
Not possible to time the cam on that one without pulling the whole front off of the engine.
This b*tch:
z24t_1_1.jpg

I just saw this picture of engine, he came in and said " thats it".I had to reload page my puter is acting up.

Well its making him happy and he is not worried about anything else so guess ' ignorance is bliss ' far as keeping his mind off the breakdown of the world.
Maybe I should go crawl under the truck and forget about it too.

I took compression test on a few cylinders and no reading. Turned it over after checking without plug and it blew the oil 4 ft out from block. So it has some pressure guess just not enough to get reading on it. :dunno: Thanks guys,really appreciate it.

Well its making him happy and he is not worried about anything else so guess ' ignorance is bliss ' far as keeping his mind off the breakdown of the world.
Maybe I should go crawl under the truck and forget about it too.
The world is not breaking down.
Yes, some basketball games and Trump rallies have been canceled but we ain't gonna die.
So some spoiled New Yorkers can't eat at their favorite restaurants, big deal. :rolleyes:
WE however, CAN time up a Nissan Z24 engine.:)

The world is not breaking down.
Yes, some basketball games and Trump rallies have been canceled but we ain't gonna die.
So some spoiled New Yorkers can't eat at their favorite restaurants, big deal. :rolleyes:
WE however, CAN time up a Nissan Z24 engine.:)

I was kinda kidding I hope. :D

The next fairly easy thing to do is pull the valve cover, bring #1 cylinder up to TDC.

At top dead center are both valves closed?

Pull the distributor cap.

Is the rotor lined up with, or very close to, the #1 wire on the cap?

EDIT To Add: I would turn the engine over at this point via a socket on the crank balancer bolt so you have better control. That little four cylinder should turn fairly easy.

Turn it and watch the timing events. At one point when the #1 cylinder is at the top of it's stroke both valves should be closed, that's the compression stoke. At another point when the piston is coming up an exhaust valve should open , exhaust stroke, and then it will close then the intake valve should open and once again when it reaches the top both valves should be closed.

I hope it makes sense.

Last edited:
I was kinda kidding I hope. :D
Give him a couple of beers and tell him to take the night off.
We'll get it running tomorrow.
@Curmudgeon since the valves are closed 80° before and 80°after TDC on the compression and power stroke you can't tell if the cam is 30° off. He has no chain timing marks to look at.
There's a better way...

@Curmudgeon since the valves are closed 80° before and 80°after TDC on the compression and power stroke you can't tell if the cam is 30° off. He has no chain timing marks to look at.

Right, all I'm saying is both valves should be closed at TDC long enough to ignite and force the piston back down the hole, no?

If they are not would that not confirm the timing is set wrong?

I'll admit I have only worked on mostly Mopar V8's, but the basics are the same.

Give him a couple of beers and tell him to take the night off.
We'll get it running tomorrow.
There's a better way...

I told him enough is enough so he stopped for today. He may drink one with me tomorrow. We drink in the early part of day if we drink. He likes coffee better than beer but will drink a beer now and then.drink buddy:Thankyou:

Sometimes it's better to step away and come back to it. I have had to do that many times working on my classics.

The next fairly easy thing to do is pull the valve cover, bring #1 cylinder up to TDC.

At top dead center are both valves closed?

Pull the distributor cap.

Is the rotor lined up with, or very close to, the #1 wire on the cap?

EDIT To Add: I would turn the engine over at this point via a socket on the crank balancer bolt so you have better control. That little four cylinder should turn fairly easy.

Turn it and watch the timing events. At one point when the #1 cylinder is at the top of it's stroke both valves should be closed, that's the compression stoke. At another point when the piston is coming up an exhaust valve should open , exhaust stroke, and then it will close then the intake valve should open and once again when it reaches the top both valves should be closed.

I hope it makes sense.

Hubby saod it totally makes sense and thank you very much..This one I let him read, no way will I attempt to relay it,o_O:peace:

I told him enough is enough so he stopped for today. He may drink one with me tomorrow. We drink in the early part of day if we drink. He likes coffee better than beer but will drink a beer now and then.drink buddy:Thankyou:
Tell him we got this :thumbs: :).

:huggs:DadeM thank you for the offer your so nice to do that. But he is thinking of asking young man on our road to borrow his.
If he hasn't pulled the distributor, he won't need it. It's driven off of the crank and not the cam.
It has an offset key and will only go in one way (right?). The engine will run even if it is maxed out either way.
That is just tuning.

Last edited:
Meer I believe Curmuddgen is on the right track. If hubs had the timing chain off, my bet is the cam timing is off, specially if he did not pull the distributor out. I'm not familiar with that engine, but the basics are the same with any gas engine. Getting the cam timing back can be a pain on some engines, but has to be exact. Stepping away is a good thing. Frustration will cause you too overlook something simple. Don't ask me how I learned this!! :dunno:

Meer I believe Curmuddgen is on the right track. If hubs had the timing chain off, my bet is the cam timing is off, specially if he did not pull the distributor out. I'm not familiar with that engine, but the basics are the same with any gas engine. Getting the cam timing back can be a pain on some engines, but has to be exact. Stepping away is a good thing. Frustration will cause you too overlook something simple. Don't ask me how I learned this!! :dunno:
:Thankyou: :huggs:You guys are the best. Hubby said awesome,haha.
I love this bar, I mean site.:D

On the Z24 you have to pull the whole front off of the engine which also tears up the oil-pan gasket.
brickwall100.gif

It gets deep fast.
The way they time the cam is obscene and only meant for the assembly line.
@Mr.Meer you couldn't have succeeded. Not possible.

Last edited:
On the Z24 you have to pull the whole front off of the engine which also tears up the oil-pan gasket.View attachment 37333
It gets deep fast.
The way they time the cam is obscene and only meant for the assembly line.
@Mr.Meer you couldn't have succeeded. Not possible.

Hubby says thanksand he is still gonna try to get it in but not going to try a whole lot harder.

SuperV this is me again and if your saying no way to fix it, what do we do junk it? o_O
Ofcourse looks like it won't take much to do that ince its already turning into a money pit junker. So far we have almost $1,600 in it,counting what we paid for it.We did get to ride in it for about 700 miles before it blew.

Hubby says thanksand he is still gonna try to get it in but not going to try a whole lot harder.

SuperV this is me again and if your saying no way to fix it, what do we do junk it? o_O
Ofcourse looks like it won't take much to do that ince its already turning into a money pit junker. So far we have almost $1,600 in it,counting what we paid for it.We did get to ride in it for about 700 miles before it blew.
No! NO! No!
I just meant that it was not possible for him to reassemble it and put it back in time.
It's going to be just fine. :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back