Hey Preppers.....ya feelin' pretty smart right about now?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the new YouTube preppers are attempting to get to a 3 week storage to start. That's really not much. Some of them, I'm sure, have had to learn how to cook through all this. One lady bought 6 loaves of bread to fill her freezer, because her city is already having a bread shortage, and she doesn't know how to bake bread, or find an alternative to do without. Then, some are doing a really good job, like, Peggi and Don, new pandemic preppers. Something is better than nothing. Our immediate family is back to storing more food. I told my cousin's daughter to have a double sized garden last year, and to put up more, and she did. Then they saw our storage, and are buying more. Between the three households shopping yesterday, we filled up our truck completely when we went shopping. And I had shopped the day before, but will always pick up sales at a different store. I like shopping Aldi here, but am frustrated at their limits on things. Walmart has a good number of empty shelves. Kroger is average on stocking, but prices are higher. Our Menno/Amish store down the road keeps getting cleaned out by the city people. Glad I have storage.

I've noticed more videos on making 2 or 3 ingredient bread. That could be a lifesaver for a lot of people if they can get the self rising flour - and if they see the recipe. One of my local stores is family owned and they have been able to keep yeast in stock so I have a supply of that.

I love to watch Pegi and Don! If you watch from their first videos, you see how far they've come in a short amount of time. Another one is Granny Karma. After her husband passed away, she went into a deep depression but finally started coming out of it a few months ago. Prepping has given her a new purpose to make sure her family doesn't do without. I like seeing her recipes.

It's interesting to see what newbies stock in the beginning.
Yeah, I've been there. I have a pile of stuff I got at first that I haven't touched. It was stuff like books, tools, electrical tape, and all kinds of misc. stuff. Heck, I don't even remember what I got. I'm in the process of going thru all that stuff now. Some of it we could have used by now, but I was in such a rush to stock stuff that I didn't organize it and it has just sat there in storage. Panic makes people do stupid things. 🤪

I too have noticed the price increases. I shop sales and weekly flyers to get good deals and our local store stopped the flyer sales for the most part. Even the sales that they do run are anemic at best. I have pretty much stopped going there and just shop Aldi now where most of their prices have stayed pretty consistent.

I mentioned to some friends of ours that this is supposed to be a harsh winter so that we have stocked up on gas, propane, and heavy stuff like softner salt and dog food so that we don't have to bother with it when the weather gets bad. I could almost see a light bulb go off in their head. I hope a seed has been planted. We could hole up for the winter if we had to, but we'd like to get out and about due to being cooped up this spring and everything being cancelled this summer. Hopefully we'll still be able to go on a trip this winter, but we'll have to see what happens.

I've noticed more videos on making 2 or 3 ingredient bread. That could be a lifesaver for a lot of people if they can get the self rising flour - and if they see the recipe. One of my local stores is family owned and they have been able to keep yeast in stock so I have a supply of that.

I love to watch Pegi and Don! If you watch from their first videos, you see how far they've come in a short amount of time. Another one is Granny Karma. After her husband passed away, she went into a deep depression but finally started coming out of it a few months ago. Prepping has given her a new purpose to make sure her family doesn't do without. I like seeing her recipes.

We had3 ingrediant biscuits yesterday. They were good too. Bread would be nice too. Never made bread though. Closest I came was what I call 'mam bread'. She just poured dough into biscuit pan and cut squares out and made sandwiches, it was great.

I would share some images of what The Princess has cached but she does not like me sharing images of those so...

But for us...

My knee jerk reaction to the Kung-Flu was to start some onions that I had planned to skip this year to let me work on other projects. The Princess let me do that but called me off early on since she had enough for us and the kids. She let the kids shop in her stock pile to get over the initial restrictions. They picked out what they could use plus a five-gallon bucket of spaghetti.

She has been inspired to augment her stash and has been chasing deals and ordering what she can.

Re: the topic of this thread...

Yes, I was proud of The Princess and being able to relax when many were freaking out.

Ben

It was sooooo nice to not have to worry about having to go out in food lines. And to bring our old neighbor over some fresh tomatoes, chard, lettuces, a few potatoes, or what ever else she wished for. It wasn't a big deal. Now, fresh milk was a big deal. But not anymore. And now that I'm making the butter for our family and my cousin's family, that won't be a problem, either.

It was sooooo nice to not have to worry about having to go out in food lines. And to bring our old neighbor over some fresh tomatoes, chard, lettuces, a few potatoes, or what ever else she wished for. It wasn't a big deal. ...

As I have written previously, the goal of a prepper is not to only survive, but rather to THRIVE.

Ben

I don't know what hppend to me and hubby preparing,but don't feel like we bought the kind of food we are going to like,not for long anyway. Guess its a good thing not to have an appittite. And of course the t damn laptop has to play wipe out now too.gaah:(
Sounds like a page out of my life and I often say much worse words about my computer, especially when it wipes out a complete message I want to post here. Things are getting crazier all the time the FED is now talking about stopping the printing of money, the big push to go to a cashless society. I really feel bad for people that either put off or rejected prepping, common to hear, "We've gone through this things before, everything will get back to normal again", to that I say BS, just what the Covid is doing alone could make recovery next to impossible and then there is the BLM/Antifa and their so called "peaceful protestings.". We are all going to be grateful for what we have done, in spite of being laughed at by "family and friends", this is in quotes because many of us have prepper friends that are more like family than our blood line families, Thank God for those people, especially since they live in our community. Never feel bad for what you have done in prepping, more than likely it's probably better than you think, I just feel bad for those who are just starting out, costs have doubled or even more and availability may be next to nothing.

Sounds like a page out of my life and I often say much worse words about my computer, especially when it wipes out a complete message I want to post here. Things are getting crazier all the time the FED is now talking about stopping the printing of money, the big push to go to a cashless society. I really feel bad for people that either put off or rejected prepping, common to hear, "We've gone through this things before, everything will get back to normal again", to that I say BS, just what the Covid is doing alone could make recovery next to impossible and then there is the BLM/Antifa and their so called "peaceful protestings.". We are all going to be grateful for what we have done, in spite of being laughed at by "family and friends", this is in quotes because many of us have prepper friends that are more like family than our blood line families, Thank God for those people, especially since they live in our community. Never feel bad for what you have done in prepping, more than likely it's probably better than you think, I just feel bad for those who are just starting out, costs have doubled or even more and availability may be next to nothing.
I am torn with the cashless society. Well not the cashless society part, I am against that. But what is everyone doing with their money? Money in the bank, money in your wallet, walls whatever.

Viking I think more are prepping everyday now finally seeing things are getting real.:thumbs:

I am torn with the cashless society. Well not the cashless society part, I am against that. But what is everyone doing with their money? Money in the bank, money in your wallet, walls whatever.

I understan what your sayin Lilmiss, and not sure how long business will even accept cash for payment.

Cashless means every transaction can be traced. No good can come from that. Grampa would have to transfer money to g-daughter... account? No more piggy banks unless they go electronic and are tied to the web? No goo3.

Largely out of the markets waiting for the election to decide if we tap into the green new deal or invest in another Trump-bump.

Ben

You might find this thread interesting....
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/cashless-society.6939/Personally, I like to diversify. Money in the bank, cash in the safe, investments in the market, assets I could sell, PM's, etc. Since we really don't know what might happen, I think it's wise to have as many bases covered as possible. A little bit here.........a little bit there.........a little bit everywhere.

Well had a run to FL. Stopped by a Flying J for a coffee and they asked if I had the correct change, I didnt. So she gave me change for my $5. Next day stopped at En Market for a morning coffee and the guy in front of me owed around $10.30. The clerk asked for .30. The guy didnt have it so he added that to his gas purchase for him to pump .30. Then me, he asked for the .63. I said why, dont you have any change? He said no and there was none in his drawer. So I dug around in my purse and found it. I should have told him I didnt have it, take my $1 and they can eat the .63 since it isnt my responsibility to have the exact change. wish I could think faster on my feet, lol

I thought about this thread today when posting in another thread about silver. I got my silver quite a while ago and at a much better price than what it is going for today. That's IF you can get it b/c there are lots of out of stock notices on physical silver.

I'm also glad about having bought a bunch of jars and lids long ago when they were on sale. There are jars on the shelves now, but I haven't seen any on sale, and there are no lids or rings to be had in any store I've been to recently. I'm happy to be stocked up.

Ammo......cleared shelves again. I'm glad to have what I have and don't feel the need to get any more. It's a good thing, b/c it's hard to come by. We know a local dealer that we could get ammo from, but his shipments are hit and miss and prices are certainly higher than they were when I bought mine. We don't typically shoot much this time of year anyways so we're not shooting thru our stock.

Building materials.....we finished our barn last year when OSB was $7 - $8 per board. We checked on it last week and it was around $25 per board. :oops: I wish we would have bought some extra OSB at that time, but at least we got the bulk of it done at the right time. We also built the shed too, so I'm glad it was all done then.

At this point, I'm wondering what the next shortage will be? So far we've been pretty lucky at being ahead of the curve, but I'm wondering when or if our luck will run out? I'm pretty darn happy about what we've accomplished, especially in the past couple of years, but it feels like things are giong to be changing in a big way very soon. I keep stocking up on non-perishables when they are on sale and I hope we'll be set for whatever comes our way.

At this point, I'm wondering what the next shortage will be? So far we've been pretty lucky at being ahead of the curve, but I'm wondering when or if our luck will run out?

Everything you mention and everything from the last full year.......is a solid foundation for expecting high "inflation". Plus add in the tension with the source of most "Thingies" people delight in buying. And the possible hot conflict with China. I would think having a plan for high inflation, should be on peoples short list.

few years ago I got into the silver thang, It was easy to buy but hard to get rid off
no one wanted to pay spot, They wanted to pay under spot to make a profit.

If you have extra time. I do know of a way to acquire silver that costs nothing. You will have to put up some money to get started. But that is guaranted
I call it Clack Clack. A box of quarters from the bank costs $500.00 a box of dimes is $250
Halfs are $500.00
you buy a box, open, remove the silver and rewrap, do it again..
quick easy identification, look at the side of a quarter, you will see a band of copper, that is not a keeper
when you do not see the band, pluck it out and replace with another

I got friendly with a cashier, and she would look at the rolls in the box, to make sure i got old rolls and not new from the mint rolls

few years ago I got into the silver thang, It was easy to buy but hard to get rid off
no one wanted to pay spot, They wanted to pay under spot to make a profit.

If you have extra time. I do know of a way to acquire silver that costs nothing. You will have to put up some money to get started. But that is guaranted
I call it Clack Clack. A box of quarters from the bank costs $500.00 a box of dimes is $250
Halfs are $500.00
quick easy identification, look at the side of a quarter, you will see a band of copper, that is not a keeper
when you do not see the band, pluck it out and replace with another

I got friendly with a cashier, and she would look at the rolls in the box, to make sure i got old rolls and not new from the mint rolls
Nice to see you Frodo.
I was asking about you the other day.
Hope you are well.

Halfs are $500.00
With the supposed 'coin shortage' I'd imagine that it's getting more difficult to buy coins from the bank. Also, I think more people are aware of old coins being more valuable. I always look at the coins in my hand before I pay for something to make sure they have the copper line on the side and make sure the pennies aren't the wheat ones on the back.

I looked at gold this morning. Prices aren't outstanding......but if things keep going south in our economy it could very well bounce.

It is not as bad as it could be.
Agreed.

Devaluation of the dollar is a big threat to those that have saved what seems enough.

The first REAL signs of hyperinflation, I will be spending money like it is going out of style because literally it is going out of style.

Ben

presently silver is $27.93, gold is at $1826, the premiums on buying silver can be crazy, driving prices per troy ounce into the mid $30's, watch who you buy from and if you can stay with one dealer as often as they get to know you, they may give you discounts for being a return buyer. A great deal of the silver mined goes into electronics and at one time was used in photographic paper and Xray photos, these days computer printers do such a good job, I'm pretty sure the use of silver in photography has been greatly reduced. Silver is extensively in high voltage, high amperage contacts, like circuit breakers and motor starters, when I worked for Square D Electrical company, the huge starters and contactors had a lot of silver in their contactors, we also put silver plating on the connection surfaces of the copper buss that was used. I told a friend that asked me what would be a good stock investment, that you need to think of what's going on, what's being built now and in the future, electric cars and trucks, I told her to look into lithium, for batteries and copper that will be needed for the motors. wither we like it or not, electric vehicles are being pushed down our throats as being environmentally, the best thing we could do. I have though of getting a Tesla, since we have a solar system, a great deal of the charging could be done at home, even if the grid power was down, Tesla's are rather expensive and I'd hate to have to get rid of our Sienna and Tundra, they've been great vehicles, but if we get that far in life, it may be that we will have to go electric, at our age, who knows?

presently silver is $27.93, gold is at $1826, the premiums on buying silver can be crazy, driving prices per troy ounce into the mid $30's, watch who you buy from and if you can stay with one dealer as often as they get to know you, they may give you discounts for being a return buyer. A great deal of the silver mined goes into electronics and at one time was used in photographic paper and Xray photos, these days computer printers do such a good job, I'm pretty sure the use of silver in photography has been greatly reduced. Silver is extensively in high voltage, high amperage contacts, like circuit breakers and motor starters, when I worked for Square D Electrical company, the huge starters and contactors had a lot of silver in their contactors, we also put silver plating on the connection surfaces of the copper buss that was used. I told a friend that asked me what would be a good stock investment, that you need to think of what's going on, what's being built now and in the future, electric cars and trucks, I told her to look into lithium, for batteries and copper that will be needed for the motors. wither we like it or not, electric vehicles are being pushed down our throats as being environmentally, the best thing we could do. I have though of getting a Tesla, since we have a solar system, a great deal of the charging could be done at home, even if the grid power was down, Tesla's are rather expensive and I'd hate to have to get rid of our Sienna and Tundra, they've been great vehicles, but if we get that far in life, it may be that we will have to go electric, at our age, who knows?
Who knows?

My investments in precious metals is not for me but my heirs.

Ben

My wife ask months ago, after I told her the Mint was not make money for 2020, but for 2012, so no shortage until the new year, if any.
Kroger did not want to give her change, they put it on a card, I think it was to stop C-19 contact though coins. Anyways, the bank said that they had tons of coins & no one came to get them.

Latest posts

Back