Homesteader's Nine Patch BOW Quiltalong

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds so sweet! It reminds me of a child's sheet and pillowcase set I got last year. It has an embroidery pattern of the roadrunner and Wiley Coyote. When I get it embroidered, I want to put a border on the sheet and quilt it. I'll put it away in case I ever have a great-grandson. Estelle is a lucky little girl to grow up with quilts made just for her.

That sounds so sweet! It reminds me of a child's sheet and pillowcase set I got last year. It has an embroidery pattern of the roadrunner and Wiley Coyote. When I get it embroidered, I want to put a border on the sheet and quilt it. I'll put it away in case I ever have a great-grandson. Estelle is a lucky little girl to grow up with quilts made just for her.
She's my tester. When I start working on new pattern, she gets new quilt.

For the set I'm working on now, I have four fabrics and a background and that gives me a good amount of variety. I think you need at least three and a background fabric. For the r/w/b set, I used the same red and white for all of the blocks but I had some different dark blue patriotic prints and they were my controlled scrappy. If you're going all scrappy, the sky's the limit! :lil guy:

Attachments

• IMG_20180107_125901.jpg
    IMG_20180107_125901.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
If you re-read the posts, I think you'll see that this is a block of the week and people will choose their own settings for the blocks. We'll talk about different ways to set our blocks and the links you refer to merely offered a few possibilities for alternate patterns. These are brilliant, independent women who like to design their own quilts. This BOW gives them a base to build on and I can't wait to see what they do with it. It will be wonderful if we have a few newbies take part so they can learn some of the ins and outs of quilting.
:fun fun:

So, this is a mystery quilt, in that the participants will not know ahead of time what the blocks will be? If that's the case, I'll follow along and decide later if I'm going to make this. I'm a bit burned out right now on mysteries.

BTW folks, I started a block of the week quilt along in the sewing/quilting section. The pattern is Aloha Ripple and I will post links back to the instructions each Tuesday. http://forum.homestead.org/threads/aloha-ripple-block-of-the-week.806/#post-18003. I hope some on this board will join in.

I think Katie is going to post some pictures of her blocks, right Katie? I hope so as Ive done so much sewing the past few months that my brain is suffering!!! Lol!!! Just learning to work with my new computerized machine too. I REALLY like Elgars Aloha Ripple so I am going to follow along and write down directions. Maybe when I can catch up some I will start it.

Yeppers, I'll be posting a link to a free online quilt pattern and it will show what the block looks like and give you instructions to make it. I'll also be posting a picture of the block I made from that pattern. I think this first block is a real cutie and I hope everybody likes it as much as I do. Everything is ready to go in the morning as soon as I have some coffee to wake me up.

I'm not sure I could ever figure out how to use one of those computerized sewing machines! Comparing it to my little Brother sewing machine would be like comparing a Porsche to a Chevy. :D

Mine is just a plain sewing machine with the standard stitches, nothing computerized, but it's such a work horse that I love it. I don't do any fancy stuff anyway. Can you do embroidery stitches with yours? I think that would be so fun!

Hello, hello, hello!! It's time to gather around and take a look at the first pattern of our Homesteaders Nine Patch Block of the Week Quiltalong! If you need a bit of music to get you going here's a tune called "You Can Quilt That Out".

Our first block is a cutie called Brasstown Star and I realllllly like it! Here's the link to the instructions and I have a photo of the block I made.
http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BrasstownStarBlock.html

Attachments

• IMG_20180111_093904.jpg
    IMG_20180111_093904.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
That's great! It is easy to make, that's why I got overexcited last year and made several groups of these in different colors. After making one, I didn't feel like I'd done hardly any sewing so I had to make more, more, more! Of course, after a while there were other things to do so I started running out of steam. Why, oh why, can't we sew in our sleep? :dunno:

Have you checked on the sewing machine website to see if they have any instructions there? I just thought of that. A lot of appliance companies will have things like that online. Sounds like you're moving right down your list, though!

Brasstown Star is beautiful. It was a choice of mine for a birthday block swap several years ago. I asked for it in golds and browns. :) Four of the blocks stood out from the others and seemed to fit together in their own special way, so I used them in a wall hanging for one of my mothers hospice caretakers. It was very beautiful. :)

Now I will have to make my final color choices for this BOW! :)

Thank you.

How is everyone doing with last week's block? What colors did you decide on? Judy, I think these will be gorgeous made up in shades of purple! Most of the patterns I chose for this are my favorite nine patches and look great in any color combination. I'm ready to post the next block and photos tomorrow morning.
:great:

Attachments

• IMG_20180118_133658.jpg
    IMG_20180118_133658.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20180118_133600.jpg
    IMG_20180118_133600.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back