How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished up doing September numbers (yes late as by the time I do all the numbers and EoM taxes at work, my brain is numb.) I think I stated earlier we got our beef so over $2500 for that but works out cheaper and healthier in the long run. That aside, we did pretty well for the month as far as keeping expenses down so I was pleased. We are still paying the mortgage and rent and utilities for both places so tricky to try to compare to previous years.

Got to day 2 of not spending any money.

Yesterday we broke as we needed to buy glasses for DH, some star pickets and lime for the gardens and some baking trays, insulation tape and power extension leads and groceries.

Good news is that we saved money on the groceries as our local supermarket was having a promo and with combining specials, using our gift card and the $15 off the order I brought the bill down from $161.70 to $97.57 with a total saving of $64.13 on usual prices. We will pick up our order on Monday.

Well circumstances last Friday took the shine off any savings but looking at the map it was only another 25 mins drive to get to a brand new Aldi store from the small town I brought my pullets from so I thought why not.
Wow.
Lots of savings.
I spent $175 and stocked up on-
Toilet paper.
Oxy bleach.
Dates.
Tuna.
Tinned corned beef.
Instant mashed potato.
Passata.
Tea.
Crackers.
Block cheese.

In many cases I brought 6 of each and not a single.
Tuna and corned beef I brought 10 of each.

I am thinking it would be worth my while to save my grocery money and do a monthly haul at Aldi.

There are things on my list I didn't get but I'll know next time that the prices are way better for an equivalent product at Aldi.

I found red and white potatoes for 50 cents a pound so I bought 10 pounds. The store also had sweet potatoes for 99 cents a pound and I bought 5 pounds of those. Hopefully the price will go down a little for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Years back I could get sweet potatoes for 50 cents a pound. Then one year there were none to have except canned. One year I never saw the price go below 1 dollar 50 cents a pound.
I also bought four 20 ounce packages of ground chicken for 2 dollars 50 cents each. I'll use those for chili and meatloaves

I think I just used up the last jar of sweet potatoes that we canned in 2017. We still have the the sweet potatoes we canned the following two years.

Well just as well I paid off the debt and put a little more meat on my rent buffer because the next month and a half is going to be a bit grim.
My electricity bill came and it's $35 more than it usually is.
Casting my mind back over the quarter I realized that I used the dehydrator a lot.
Time to start looking at solar options.
I'll take my medicine and pay my fine without grumbling.
I'll make the dollars stretch to pay it, the elect bill, license renewal and car registration.

I have every reason to be grateful.
I have well stocked pantry and freezer.
The gardens are producing a lot of food.
The pullets that survived the trip are laying and I have spent hen's I can cull to make soup.
Life is good and I am blessed.

I spent more than usual today. I had to buy inserts for my shoes and then I stocked up on cold medicine. Hubby has been sick all week. Apparently one of the guys on his crew brought something from home ( he has kids so it must of come from the school) and gave to everybody. Hoping it doesn't jump from him to me
I can't get over how much cold medicine costs even the store brand. good grief

That's enough for 1000 rounds of 22LR ammo! or 200 rounds of 9mm ammo.

Received an email form my credit card company asking if a $500 purchase from a Russian Airline was valid. I clicked the "No" link on the email which in turned locked my credit card. Slick!

Then I went online to my CC website and Login to my account. Called the 800 number listed to report fraud. Very pleasant lady answered in halting English. Asked me for the last four digits of my CC number, last four digits of my SS number and my mailing address. Confirmed that 2 out of the last 3 charges were valid. Old card is invalid and the new one I should receive by the end of the week.

Day 2 of not spending any money today :) . Oh forgot to say by putting in our grocery order and applying our other $15 off purchase code and weekly specials we saved another $17 off the price of our groceries.

Good catch by the CC company on possible fraud and shutting them down but it is an inconvenience but worth it to get a new card and different number.

Last edited:
Got a check in the mail from an insurance company we use. Some sort of class action suit. Now I have to decide if I want to save it all, part of it, or spend it all on myself for Christmas.......decisions...decisions.....

I never won at bingo, what's your secret?
I only spend about $30 or what I can afford.
$25 of that $30 is for the basic all night game packet.
Table Bingo costs $5.00 which has 12 games in it.
Breakdown is 42 cents a game.
All night games for $20, has 26 games breaks down to about 77 cents a game.
But the pots will be bigger this evening cause final red game is $700.
The other $5 is for pull tabs and or meal.
There are ladies out there that spend $100 every week to play bingo.
Only to lose it.
That $100 they lose would be an extra Principle payment on my car, or grocery money.
I spend what I can afford period.
The nights I have a rider because of weather, she pays for my meal.
My meal usually runs $3.50 broke down that's coffee or tea for all night is a $1.00.
My tea glass is 32 ounces so for a $1.00 and free refills that's a win-win too.
Special is $2.50- vegetable soup tonight, crackers, dessert.
But attitude is part of it too.

Last edited:
Went into the local small town just for a couple grocery items (really just for something to do on this cold day). Got a deal on 2 dozen eggs.
011-.jpg

Latest posts

Back