How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apple cider vinegar with the mother?

A friend of mine was recently telling me of all the health benefits. I was a little puzzled by "the mother", not being cognizant of the chemistry?

I'm not declaring personal benefits (yet?), but in my frugal quests found that I could introduce portions of unfiltered apple cider vinegar into half priced filtered stuff and the " mother " grows on its own.

Uncommon frugal tip?

Apple cider vinegar with the mother?

A friend of mine was recently telling me of all the health benefits. I was a little puzzled by "the mother", not being cognizant of the chemistry?

I'm not declaring personal benefits (yet?), but in my frugal quests found that I could introduce portions of unfiltered apple cider vinegar into half priced filtered stuff and the " mother " grows on its own.

Uncommon frugal tip?

Here's a good thread on ACV... get you started anyway. A couple members know the scoop. Outside my wheelhouse...

Other than I'm currently using acv for nail fungus situation.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/acv-question.14992/

Is it working @Peanut ? I tried Vicks vaporub, which was good for a while
Don't know, just started this morning. Supposed to soak my finger tips 4times a day, few minutes each time.

But going to try another oddity today, cotton balls dampened with rubbing alcohol. 2 birds, toughen skin on my finger tips (guitar callouses) and help kill the fungus.

Last edited:
No sooner did I get the electricity bill than the postman just delivered my car registration.
I have three full pensions until I have to pay it and I have the option of paying for 6 months or a year.
I had gotten out of the habit of paying the full year's worth the registration in the middle of the year so I wouldn't have this huge influx of bills at the end of the year.
Now that I'm out of debt I can pay a whole year registration and I guess with the crazies green party in control of the gov paying 12 months gives me a whole year between me and their green agenda in the way of more taxes, and or a ridiculous rise in registration <- more likely the case along with rises in fuel costs.

I still have to pay my yearly pre-paid internet/ phone at Christmas time for the 2023 year.
That bill will be approx $315 for the whole year.

Rises in electricity, car registration, fuel, food...If this wasn't a time to stock the freezer with your Christmas goodies
so you can have a "normal" Christmas I don't know what is.

No sooner did I get the electricity bill than the postman just delivered my car registration.
I have three full pensions until I have to pay it and I have the option of paying for 6 months or a year.
I had gotten out of the habit of paying the full year's worth the registration in the middle of the year so I wouldn't have this huge influx of bills at the end of the year.
Now that I'm out of debt I can pay a whole year registration and I guess with the crazies green party in control of the gov paying 12 months gives me a whole year between me and their green agenda in the way of more taxes, and or a ridiculous rise in registration <- more likely the case along with rises in fuel costs.

I still have to pay my yearly pre-paid internet/ phone at Christmas time for the 2023 year.
That bill will be approx $315 for the whole year.

Rises in electricity, car registration, fuel, food...If this wasn't a time to stock the freezer with your Christmas goodies
so you can have a "normal" Christmas I don't know what is.
After an initial 30 day trial, I signed for a years worth for like $98. Red pocket through eBay. Service has exceeded my expectations previously not being met by cricket. I've especially appreciate the online chat for troubles. Never made sense to troubleshoot phone problems using my phone. And I can easily understand the thickest Indian accent when it's put into text?

DW found 18 pack of eggs for $1.79 & bought ten packs.
That is nine point nine four cents(9.9444) per egg.
So lots of boiled eggs in my future.

I have four hens left, who are annoyed at being shut in because of bird flu and aren't laying as well. We go through alot of eggs. They are quite dear in the shops, so when I have to, buy direct off the famer, as this is poultry country. They have these little cabins set up, where you pop in €3.50 and a door pops open and you take a tray of 24 eggs. Still expensive but at least the money is staying local

Meat! Unbelievably got
13 lbs 80/20 ground beef,
3 lb chicken thighs ($1.19/lb)
6 lbs boneless pork ribs, & chop suey meat

$41.00 total at meat sales this week. Some only had 1-2 days left on “sell by” date. So what!

Then I froze a bunch and made
4 lbs 80/20 beef -flat sheet pan meatloaf à la the Pioneer Woman no cheese- really great!
2 lbs 80/20 beef - seasoned topped with onions and bacon rst’ed flat
2 pounds chop Suey Instant pot
6 chicken thighs = 3 lbs. roasted & freezing
2 lbs boneless baby back ribs rst’d and freezing
2+ lbs. large pork country style ribs instant pot and freezing

I couldn't resist the smoked hams on sale. Dug through the pile to find the smallest one. It's just me.

Been ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and beans, ham chowder and split pea ham soup. Still had to separate some for the freezer! What a light weight am I?

It's that time of year where we live, where I'm lucky to get 6 eggs a day. Was 24 a day. We can make do, but there's no extra for anyone else.
I don't know what's gotten into my hens. Usually at this time of year, I might get four eggs, but I am getting 10-13 a day.

I have 20ish qrts dehydrated, and around 30 dozen frozen and still they keep laying; the dogs are sick of eggs.

They must have heard about how expensive it is to feed them. I am starting to scramble up the older freezer eggs for them, and replacing with fresh.

Latest posts

Back