I do remember this

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent many a Saturday with them Little Rascals,,

We just had a Three Stooges marathon., on one of the channels,
We watched them and laughed all day.

johnspringercollectioncorbis_3stooges4601.jpg

Jim

Wow, this topic brings back some memories.

I just get nostalgic sometimes,
especially when another year just zipped by..

I remember some things , you younguns don't know about some of this stuff,

I had one of these at one time....

34a7d6d4bfa131c325e759f3f704920f--vintage-baby-toys-vintage-children.jpg
0f22d06ad43891b60557efe25bbb9d55.jpg
5f1b8c6213529c925bce1012c3c5a4e1.jpg

Ha! bet you don't remember these,
8a3777f4d58eabc90ce75431acba340f--fast-foods-food-networktrisha.jpg

66b7aff618aebe7c8267abdfaf5d1dff--school-address-address-finder.jpg

record_player.jpg

Jim

I remember all of the above, in the original post.

As for hamburgers, there was one burger place that would let you buy a sackful of them for $1. We were poor, so didn't often have $1 for burgers.

Also there was a donut place that sold 3 dozen donuts for $1. You didn't get a choice, they were just all mixed up. Some were plain glazed, some were filled with jelly or creme.

Now, I never had one of these,

But , when I was a boy , living with my grampa and grndma, , this is what they had, and I remember them talking about a party line, and somebody always on there,
They could only talk to 2 or 3 neighbors,
No numbers , just crank and whoever answered the party line....I think....best I can recollect.

But , that phone is still in my family , I think my sister has it.

933874711017af774a20c973663c8eb2--telephone-call-vintage-phones.jpg

I also remember that they had this sitting right under that wall phone.
corner-telephone-table-1.jpg

Jim

We didn't have the crank phone, but we had a party line. The phone numbers were 4 digits at first, then 5 digits. You had to dial the operator to make a long distance call, which was seldom because they were so expensive! Long distance calls were for emergencies, like a death in the family, and were kept as short as possible.

Do you remember the 4 track players. They didn't last long. After playing one track, you had to listen to blank tape playing instead of rewind or switching channels.like I said, 8 track followed very quickly and made them obsolete. My first 8 track was Eric Burden and the Animals!

Yes, I had a 4 track player. They were all the rage for what, about 6 months? Then 8-tracks came along and everyone went with those. 4-track players and tapes disappeared real fast.

The talk about 8 track players reminds me of something my daughter did. I was driving from TX to MI after driving for hours through corn country I had to pull over to take a nap. I had her crib mattress in the back seat so I set her up with toys, locked the car doors and passed out. When I woke up I found she had somehow gotten my tapes and strung them all over the back seat.

When I was very young we had an 8 track players in the car and in the house. I remember being sent out to the family truckster, a 1974 Olds 98 Regency, all the time to fetch this tape or that tape. There was no way we were going to have duplicate 8 track tapes. That would have been a waste of money.

74o.jpg

OMG! That stuff was horrible! Guaranteed to bring up your dinner. But it was cheap at 99 cents a bottle; plus a 6% sales tax.
I think it's still on store shelves. Just in case you want to relive your youth. :good luck:

OMG! That stuff was horrible! Guaranteed to bring up your dinner. But it was cheap at 99 cents a bottle; plus a 6% sales tax.

Not back in the 60s early 70s it wasn't too bad. Or we were just so young we handled it better, don't know. Now Mad Dog 2020 thats was some bad stuff. Or ally made corn liquor or moonshine, no telling what was in that. Teenagers couldn't be picky what they could get to drink back then. The bad thing was the ones od-ing on drugs or screaming themselves to death on bad trips ,like I saw in r one day.

I think it's still on store shelves. Just in case you want to relive your youth. :good luck:

I'll get right on that. :LOL:

Not back in the 60s early 70s it wasn't too bad. Or we were just so young we handled it better, don't know. Now Mad Dog 2020 thats was some bad stuff. Or ally made corn liquor or moonshine, no telling what was in that. Teenagers couldn't be picky what they could get to drink back then. The bad thing was the ones od-ing on drugs or screaming themselves to death on bad trips ,like I saw in r one day.

It was early/mid 70's and yeah, it was really bad. But it was cheap.

Mad Dog was my first taste of liquor. I got deathly sick and have not touched any hard liquor since. That little lesson was enough to last me a lifetime. :confused:

Might be putting a little too much info out there but it was 30 years ago, so what the heck.

I never had a bad trip and didn't know anyone personally that did. And it was something I did regularly.

Last edited:
I can remember years ago, my Granny heating bricks on the old coal stove, wrapping them with rags, and tucking them in the bed with us to keep our toes warm

Along the same line...

We used to stand on top of the register for the warm air after my dad got the coal furnace reloaded in the morning.

I never had a bad trip and didn't know anyone personally that did. And it was something I did regularly.

Well, those were the party days.

I actually knew a guy who never came down from a trip. He ended up getting disability. He covered his ceiling with blacklight posters, and lay on his back on the bed all day long, every day, with the lights off, staring at those posters and listening to his music.

Well, those were the party days.

I actually knew a guy who never came down from a trip. He ended up getting disability. He covered his ceiling with blacklight posters, and lay on his back on the bed all day long, every day, with the lights off, staring at those posters and listening to his music.

I was just the opposite. Always active and often times playing guitar with other's that were on the same plane. :)

I'll get right on that. :LOL:

It was early/mid 70's and yeah, it was really bad. But it was cheap.

Mad Dog was my first taste of liquor. I got deathly sick and have not touched any hard liquor since. That little lesson was enough to last me a lifetime. :confused:

Might be putting a little too much info out there but it was 30 years ago, so what the heck.

At concerts the first aid tents were always full of those who did od or have bad trips.
And like I told yall before I saw a young man in his Georgia Tech Football jersey scream himself to death in the ER when I was 15. That cured me of ever wanting to even smoke pot. It was horrible and the doctors were even crying. One snatched me up and said " want to do drugs, want to hit acid,etc,". I was crying too. The noises coming out of that young mans mouth didn't even sound human. He died a really bad death.
I'm glad you and your associates didn't have bad trips.
W did lose a few like Morrison,Joplin, Hendrix.

Wow, this topic brings back some memories.

I remember all of the above, in the original post.

As for hamburgers, there was one burger place that would let you buy a sackful of them for $1. We were poor, so didn't often have $1 for burgers.

Also there was a donut place that sold 3 dozen donuts for $1. You didn't get a choice, they were just all mixed up. Some were plain glazed, some were filled with jelly or creme.

We didn't have the crank phone, but we had a party line. The phone numbers were 4 digits at first, then 5 digits. You had to dial the operator to make a long distance call, which was seldom because they were so expensive! Long distance calls were for emergencies, like a death in the family, and were kept as short as possible.

Yes, I had a 4 track player. They were all the rage for what, about 6 months? Then 8-tracks came along and everyone went with those. 4-track players and tapes disappeared real fast.
You are one of the few people that remember them. Most of the time when I say anything I get a blank look!

I remember most of what has been Posted, some we just didn't have, but I do remember having McDonalds Hamburgers and Fries for the first time, Drive in Movies, Reel to Reel Tape Recorders, and Party Lines. The Hot Bricks heated on the Oil Stove in the Winter kept our Feet Warm in Bed (along with a Dog or Two). I remember Playing Marbles, and having "Steelies", but I killed more Rabbits and Squirrels with them than winning any Game. Where have all those Years gone, I would Swear that it was only Yesterday that I was Swimming in the Lake, Fishing with Grampa...Now we're Old and can't do many of the things we used to do, but we can do one thing, and that is to remind the Young Ones how it was, and to Teach those who want to Learn, the Old Ways most of which are "Tried and True" and often better than the Shiny new do-dads Peddled to unsuspecting Folks, and that is why Forums like this one are so important for Teaching, Learning, Sharing, and Remembering...Keep up the good Work.

I remember most of what has been Posted, some we just didn't have, but I do remember having McDonalds Hamburgers and Fries for the first time, Drive in Movies, Reel to Reel Tape Recorders, and Party Lines. The Hot Bricks heated on the Oil Stove in the Winter kept our Feet Warm in Bed (along with a Dog or Two). I remember Playing Marbles, and having "Steelies", but I killed more Rabbits and Squirrels with them than winning any Game. Where have all those Years gone, I would Swear that it was only Yesterday that I was Swimming in the Lake, Fishing with Grampa...Now we're Old and can't do many of the things we used to do, but we can do one thing, and that is to remind the Young Ones how it was, and to Teach those who want to Learn, the Old Ways most of which are "Tried and True" and often better than the Shiny new do-dads Peddled to unsuspecting Folks, and that is why Forums like this one are so important for Teaching, Learning, Sharing, and Remembering...Keep up the good Work.

Drive In Movies, from childhood to middle age was really fun. Last one we took 6 of the grandkids to in early 1990s. Backed in pickup and we all sat on blankets and chairs and watched a movie.

We have one here too. Opened in 1953 and still running. About 10 years ago they did a major upgrade. Put up a new screen and got rid of the speakers. They installed an FM radio system. Now you turn on your car radio to listen to the movie.

serveimage

When I was very young we had an 8 track players in the car and in the house. I remember being sent out to the family truckster, a 1974 Olds 98 Regency, all the time to fetch this tape or that tape. There was no way we were going to have duplicate 8 track tapes. That would have been a waste of money.

View attachment 1780
I had a 82 Olds Regency. Nice smooth car. Kinda floated down the hwy.

My parents used to go square dancing. They even had name tags, actual pin on the shirt name tags in the shape of the state. I still have my mom's. They took me with them once. The pretty ladies with their big floofy skirts and white blouses. And they fussed over me so. I was probably 3 years old.

Latest posts

Back