I do remember this

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, I never had one of these,

But , when I was a boy , living with my grampa and grndma, , this is what they had, and I remember them talking about a party line, and somebody always on there,
They could only talk to 2 or 3 neighbors,
No numbers , just crank and whoever answered the party line....I think....best I can recollect.

But , that phone is still in my family , I think my sister has it.

933874711017af774a20c973663c8eb2--telephone-call-vintage-phones.jpg

I also remember that they had this sitting right under that wall phone.
corner-telephone-table-1.jpg

Jim
We didn't have a crank phone but we we're on a party line and one of our neighbors was the town gossip! Lol

My parents used to go square dancing. They even had name tags, actual pin on the shirt name tags in the shape of the state. I still have my mom's. They took me with them once. The pretty ladies with their big floofy skirts and white blouses. And they fussed over me so. I was probably 3 years old.

Lot of those square dances were in barns , all those stomping feet on the above loft wooden floors were a great sound.

Watta deal! I would have been standing in line with money in my hand!

I get my hair cut in a regular old time Barber Shop.
2 men cutting hair just like when I was a kid.
Their Dad cuts hair on Saturday morning, he started the shop sometime in the early 60s.
Main difference is there are no men's magazines like when I was a kid.
We always tried to sneak a peek at them but always got caught, usually after a couple of minutes.:lil guy:

I spent a lot of time in the Principles off in 3rd grade because I refused to square dance in class.
I hated everything about it.

No wonder they didn't serve the right kind of beverage in the 3nd grade. The right drink and you'd been stomping with the best of them. backl you need to broaden your musical horizons.:dunno::lil guy:

Annete,

Annette_Funicello_Former_Mouseketeer_1975.jpg

Jim

I saw her in person at Sears Roebuck store in west Atlanta , I was 13. She was very pretty in person. She saw our 2 pics from going thru line a couple times and smarted off to us. " Jack don't give them a pic, they already have some". I told her we just needed them for toilet tissue. They thru us out. She broke me and Marys addiction to Mickys Club, its a club and we ain't in that one either,lol.

I'm sorry y'all. That was all before my time.

I believe you Gumpy. That white beard hooks around your ears, betcha. Par had one, only his was red.

Anyway, my folks' phone was a cranker on a party line. Our number was 16-4. That was stated as sixteen ring four. The 16 was the party line, the 4 was our ring on it. If the ring had been, say, 14, that was one long crank and four short ones.

No wonder they didn't serve the right kind of beverage in the 3nd grade. The right drink and you'd been stomping with the best of them. backl you need to broaden your musical horizons.:dunno::lil guy:
For me music ended sometime in the 70s when Disco started.;D
50s and 60s Country and rock are about all I listen to.

For me music ended sometime in the 70s when Disco started.;D
50s and 60s Country and rock are about all I listen to.

Well that sounds better. Disco was fun for a little while but it wasn't the kind to music to last . But I like to dance so I took disco lessons for a short while. I'd look funny doing the swim or jitterbug to disco. Although many of the moves were from ballroom dance which I was already fair at.

I liked the 40 and 50s too and of course classic rock, blues , heard them all my childhood and early teens from my piano playing mother.

Ours was Yellow
Ours had a white-ish pseudo-marble top. The chairs had red seats. I inherited the set after awhile. The table legs kept working loose, and I kept changing to bigger caliber screws until that stopped working. Then I sent the table to kitchen table heaven; still have a couple of the chairs though.

Ours had a white-ish pseudo-marble top. The chairs had red seats. I inherited the set after awhile. The table legs kept working loose, and I kept changing to bigger caliber screws until that stopped working. Then I sent the table to kitchen table heaven; still have a couple of the chairs though.
Some good epoxy would have fixed that!
hammer-sneak-up-on-nail.gif

Latest posts

Back