I Remember When . . .

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We only got electricity about the time I was born, remember our first tv. We got a proper indoor bathroom with a tub/toilet the same year armstrong walked on the moon. Saw it on the tv!!! Until then I took a bath in a #3 washtub in the kitchen. We had running water from a spring and a good pump. Had cows, hogs and chickens, a good smoke house and all that 100 acres could produce. But were poor compared to town people… and looked down on.

Now I know better… Didn’t have something? I was taught how to make what you need. One grandpa lived with us, saw the other often… uncle farmed next door, folks who’d farmed and raised families in the depression. They were very creative… for instance, we’d save baler twine from hay bales all winter. Grandpa and I would braid rope from them. He taught me to braid 24 and 32 strand ropes. We’d sell them in town to other farmers. Want something? Gotta work for it!

I remember one of these on the back porch…

a kemore.jpg

I remember the line of kids in the store, every one of them holding a shiny dime in their fingers, when word got out that the kites had arrived.
That was one happy day!😍

A dime was a good bit back then.

I remember having a 6 volt battery on the Pickup Flathead ford V8 and had about 8 foot high sideboards on it for hauling slats, brush remodeling waste and the trash. it had 6:00 16 tires on it.

I ALSO REMEMBER Free TV with good shows and funny comedians, Black and White on a little Admiral 19" smaller than a lot of computer screens now.
and that was a big set.

Go turn the antenna to the other station and Test patterns at night HEHEHE

The real wealth was always and will always be the land, money in the bank can never be worth the knowledge and ability to do without everything in the city and live well.

I will never understand why people vote for politicians who tax the land and homes they have, No matter how much tax they get they always need more.

I remember when you could spend a night out for 5 or 6 dollars and have enough to take a snack home.

I also remember a weeks pay being 12 dollars at the drive in summers and not having to go out to make out.
Taking tickets, and just let that carload of girls in free and go see them when you close the booth, send all but ONE to the snack bar with a dollar for popcorn.

I'm definitely going to have fun with this thread...
After many years, your brain becomes full up, the new stuff has nowhere to go and you can't remember what you were told to do 10 minutes ago.... but the stuff from 50+ years ago, becomes crystal-clear 😍.
Anybody remember shooting paper-wads at kids you didn't like in school, with the straw you saved from lunch?:LOL:

I have a good friend in with a store in town, one day we were in study hall and a fly lit on my arm, I told My friend to pop it with a rubber band he had and he did the teacher got him and took him out and whipped him with me telling him all the time I told him to do it.

I also remember shooing the big lights at school with water guns and making them blow up.

Oh man KABOOOM those things would pop.

Yeah I knew the principal Well HEHEHEHEH

Yeah the Famous WoodyMac Corral, tall building on the left, roller skating girls from UNA were the waitresses, it was on Jackson Highway I remember sitting there in My 63 1/2 Ford Galaxie 500 XL many a night.
1711603572232.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember something in the US that probably doesn't exist anymore: full service gas stations! I knew someone once in the 80s that worked at one. They would check your oil, clean your windshield, fill your tires up if they needed it and put the gas in for you. I know they still had them in NJ not that long ago, but only there not anywhere else. But they used to have them everywhere

We only got electricity about the time I was born, remember our first tv. We got a proper indoor bathroom with a tub/toilet the same year armstrong walked on the moon. Saw it on the tv!!! Until then I took a bath in a #3 washtub in the kitchen. We had running water from a spring and a good pump. Had cows, hogs and chickens, a good smoke house and all that 100 acres could produce. But were poor compared to town people… and looked down on.

Now I know better… Didn’t have something? I was taught how to make what you need. One grandpa lived with us, saw the other often… uncle farmed next door, folks who’d farmed and raised families in the depression. They were very creative… for instance, we’d save baler twine from hay bales all winter. Grandpa and I would braid rope from them. He taught me to braid 24 and 32 strand ropes. We’d sell them in town to other farmers. Want something? Gotta work for it!

I remember one of these on the back porch…

View attachment 127260
We had a avocado green Maytag. Then, we sold it to a couple on another homesteading forum. They, drove from Missouri to get it.
1711631976874.jpeg

I remember when Movie theatres in most places only had one screen, you could get a lot of treats you didn't get anywhere else.

Watching for the cue scratch some projectionist made to hit the pedal and change projectors, the film burning up when it jumped the notch looking like the screen was on fire!!!

There was an USHER that would take you out if you played around while the movie was going.

This one fits in here, and also in the thread "Things kids will never hear again".

Is it bigger than a bread box?

Remember the bread box you kept in the kitchen? Which TV game show from the '50's used to ask the question "Is it bigger than a bread box?"

O.K. I found it.

“Is it bigger than a breadbox?” is a phrase that is used to estimate the size of an unknown object. The phrase became popularized by Steve Allen on the American game show What's My Line? in 1953, where it became a running gag. The phrase has outlasted its routine use in the kitchen and is now commonly used to describe the size of other objects.

This one fits in here, and also in the thread "Things kids will never hear again".

Remember the bread box you kept in the kitchen? Which TV game show from the '50's used to ask the question "Is it bigger than a bread box?"

O.K. I found it.

“Is it bigger than a breadbox?” is a phrase that is used to estimate the size of an unknown object. The phrase became popularized by Steve Allen on the American game show What's My Line? in 1953, where it became a running gag. The phrase has outlasted its routine use in the kitchen and is now commonly used to describe the size of other objects.
I own an old fashion metal bread box now.
It semi matches my old metal tulip with red lids cannister set.
Does my old fashion metal bread box have bread in it?
Well, no, it has portioned out cups of rice(depending on what using the rice for in each recipe) food saver bags.
That old metal bread box probably weights about 10-15 pounds with all that rice in there.

O.K. I found it.

A fun little story: My Gpa kept candy in his bread box. My son who had/has quite the sweet tooth knew that so when he went and saw great Gpa, he always asked it he could "look" in the breadbox ;) Gpa passed in 2012. My mom was going through some things this past summer and ran across the breadbox so she bought some candy to put in it and sent it to my son ♥️

Latest posts

Back