Incredible Historical photos

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I think I posted these once a long time ago at another forum,
But they are worth another look,

I have to admit , most of the photos here , I never seen.

Hope you enjoy looking at these historical photos as much as I did.

To spend more time on each photo, just left click on the photo when your ready to see next photo.

https://docs.google.com/presentatio...J2LezrQAMl0/embed?hl=en_GB&size=m&slide=id.p5

Enjoy.

Jim

How about some old west photos.....

bill-tilghman_buffalo-hunting_indian-territory.jpg
BILL TILGHMAN
Shown here in his buffalo hunting days, Bill Tilghman (at left) was approached by Bat Masterson to serve as a deputy sheriff from 1878,
a job he served admirably until 1884, which earned him the respect to work in various law enforcement jobs for the rest of his life.
He’s best known for single-handedly capturing Bill Doolin in 1895.
john-selman_john-wesley-hardin_bass-outlaw.jpg
JOHN SELMAN
A figure of stealth and violence, John Selman famously killed gunfighters John Wesley Hardin and Bass Outlaw.
Before Outlaw died in that 1894 gunfight, he did send a bullet to Selman’s leg that led him to use a cane for the rest of his life.

Jim

This is the destroyer USS Longshaw. My Uncle was killed on this ship when it was hit by shore batteries on Okinawa in WWII. As a child I remember my grandmother speaking of him often. She said she dreamed at night that he came home.

usslongshaw.jpg

longshaw.jpg

longshaw2.jpg

aboutlongshaw.jpg

Last edited:
heck-thomas_wells-fargo_dalton-gang.jpg

HECK THOMAS
Deputy Marshal Heck Thomas’s dogged pursuit of the Dalton Gang may have contributed to the Coffeyville debacle that led to the gang’s demise.

At least, Wells Fargo believed as much, telling Thomas (seated front row, at left), “We feel that your work, more than anything, brought about the extermination of this gang.”

The gang members weren’t shy about their fear of this lawdog either, with Emmett Dalton admitting he saw Thomas as his “nemesis.”

Jim

I was born 100 years too late,

Check them cartridges on his belt, and the size of the reciever on that rifle,
I'm bettin they're 45-110 or 45-120's

joe-lefors_wild-bunch.jpg

JOE LEFORS
Joe LeFors made his name as a lawman after he duped a drunken Tom Horn into basically confessing to the murder of teenager Willie Nickell.

Yet it was his pursuit of Kid Curry, the Sundance Kid and other gang members after a 1900 train robbery in Tipton, Wyoming, that would make Lefors the inspiration for the leader of the so-called “super posse” that tracked the Wild Bunch so tenaciously in 1969’s Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Jim

IMG_6643.png

I will share a meaningful one to me. This is my great great great grandmother: Louisa Stearns Vanvoorhees 1834-1864. The pix is a tintype. When trying to identify my GGGrandmother’s true mother since I found 3 mother’s maiden names for her. Louisa probably died during childbirth given the ages of the 3 children and the time of her death. My GGGma was 2 and GGGpa was a Capt (if remembering correctly) in the Civil War so the kids went to live with their aunt and uncle (2nd of the mother’s maiden names). When the war was over oGGGpa came back, he remarried and got his 3 kids back (3rd mother’s maiden name). That took some figuring out! I’m grateful to have the pix. And here is her husband, my GGGgrandfather. (Not the same year)
IMG_6644.png

View attachment 122401
I will share a meaningful one to me. This is my great great great grandmother: Louisa Stearns Vanvoorhees 1834-1864. The pix is a tintype. When trying to identify my GGGrandmother’s true mother since I found 3 mother’s maiden names for her. Louisa probably died during childbirth given the ages of the 3 children and the time of her death. My GGGma was 2 and GGGpa was a Capt (if remembering correctly) in the Civil War so the kids went to live with their aunt and uncle (2nd of the mother’s maiden names). When the war was over oGGGpa came back, he remarried and got his 3 kids back (3rd mother’s maiden name). That took some figuring out! I’m grateful to have the pix. And here is her husband, my GGGgrandfather. (Not the same year)
View attachment 122403
Gone but not forgotten!! Its so cool to see these old pictures still surviving and to see these people!! Can you just imagine if they knew we were looking at their pictures all these years later??! A moment in their time immortalized!!

View attachment 122401
View attachment 122403
kinda hard to see , enlarge if you can
TjOJxP3.jpg

Latest posts

Back