Intermittent Fasting

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add lemon juice. the acid keeps you from getting hungry as fast.
I have used lemon water for about two years now, because I am cutting back on sweet tea. The county treated water is not as tasteful as well water.
It had nothing to do with fasting, but I guess I could drink just water for fasting.

Water's no fun, your body has to think something is going in.
I had this crazy buddy who swore gnawing a piece of dried fatback kept him on diet.
Don't care how its cured, I'm not carrying bacon around in my pocket! thats unhygienic!

I just finished a 3 day fast. Yeah! Hubs went on a fishing trip and this was something I wanted to do to reset my hormones. It was not overly pleasant, but certainly do-able. I got a lot of reading done.

The first day is usually easy for me and was no problem this time. The second day takes some willpower in the evening (when I usually like to eat), but it's much easier when I don't have anyone around me eating. I exercised all 3 days and only on the last day did I really run low on gas. I did a cardio workout and had to reduce my intensity a bit more than what I normally do. I was having some minor calf and foot cramping due to the lack of electrolytes. The only thing I had was water and 2 cups of black coffee in the mornings. I had one lick of salt on the second day but didn't really need it to help squash hunger pangs any other time. On my next fast I might add more salt to help with the minor cramping.

I didn't weigh myself before starting the fast and will re-weigh tomorrow, which is the day I typically weigh. I weighed this morning and I was down about 5 or 6 pounds from my normal weight. Although, I didn't do it for weight loss. I did it to decrease inflammaion and to increase autophagy to reduce the risk of cancer. I noticed last night when I went to bed that my torso had deflated and my legs were leaner when I put one arm on my side to sleep. It's a satisfying feeling to be able to feel the difference in the body after only fasting for a fairly short period of time. I know it's likely mostly water weight, but it tells me that the ketones were working.

Hubs came home with fish. I told him to get started cooking it and I would put together salads and make corn on the cob. I couldn't finish my salad (which was big) and couldn't eat very much fish.....but I did finish my corn. I had a small square of dark chocolate for dessert as well as a few cubes of melon and I am FULL. LOL! I'm sure I'll have a small meal before I go to bed tonight though. My eyes were certainly bigger than my stomach.

If hubs would have been gone longer, I think I could have done a longer fast without too much problem. But, it does feel good to eat again:)

I weighed in this moring and am down 4.8 pounds from last week, even after re-feeding last night. I feel really good today. Maybe TMI, but I'm back on my regular elimination schedule. LOL! I'm a quick eliminator, typically evacuating everything from the day before in the following morning after coffee. Having 3 days with no food certainly decreases bathroom time.

I had a thought about my next go around. I tend to fixate on the clock when I'm approaching my goal time. It gets me to my goal, but it's not a benefit when trying to go further than I intended even if I feel that I can. So, I'm thinking about using a different goal in lieu of time, maybe something not so concrete. I came up with the idea of perhaps using weight as a fasting goal instead. In that instance I would weigh in upon starting the fast and write that number down. Then I would determine the weight I want to get to before I break the fast, only allowing myself to weigh in 3 times per day. For me, my lowest weight is in the morning, so the other weigh in's would likely not matter at all, but at least offer a glimmer of hope in ending the fast. LOL! I think maybe if I did this once per month at the same time of month, I could gradually decrease my set point for weight. At this point, I'm only about 10 pounds over what I feel is healthy for me, but I would prefer that lower 10 pound number to be my set weight where my body likes to be normally.

With the information I have already gathered from previous fasts, I should lose about 5 pounds in 3 fast days. So, maybe I'll set a goal of having to be 3 pounds down and just fast until I get to that goal. Or maybe I want only to be 1.5 pounds down, etc. That number would depend on where my beginning weight would be......whether it's high or low. I'm wondering if doing this once per month would gradually solidify my new lower set point. Doing it this way might actually decrease my fasting times......but it might not. I think the not knowing part (of how long my fast would last) would make things interesting.

Since I see no detriment for me to fast, I think I might try this approach and see what happens. Typically I only do longer fasts when hubby is gone, so this would be a challenge. It's not nearly as easy to fast when people around you are eating and watching TV with food commercials.

I weighed in this moring and am down 4.8 pounds from last week, even after re-feeding last night. I feel really good today. Maybe TMI, but I'm back on my regular elimination schedule. LOL! I'm a quick eliminator, typically evacuating everything from the day before in the following morning after coffee. Having 3 days with no food certainly decreases bathroom time.

I had a thought about my next go around. I tend to fixate on the clock when I'm approaching my goal time. It gets me to my goal, but it's not a benefit when trying to go further than I intended even if I feel that I can. So, I'm thinking about using a different goal in lieu of time, maybe something not so concrete. I came up with the idea of perhaps using weight as a fasting goal instead. In that instance I would weigh in upon starting the fast and write that number down. Then I would determine the weight I want to get to before I break the fast, only allowing myself to weigh in 3 times per day. For me, my lowest weight is in the morning, so the other weigh in's would likely not matter at all, but at least offer a glimmer of hope in ending the fast. LOL! I think maybe if I did this once per month at the same time of month, I could gradually decrease my set point for weight. At this point, I'm only about 10 pounds over what I feel is healthy for me, but I would prefer that lower 10 pound number to be my set weight where my body likes to be normally.

With the information I have already gathered from previous fasts, I should lose about 5 pounds in 3 fast days. So, maybe I'll set a goal of having to be 3 pounds down and just fast until I get to that goal. Or maybe I want only to be 1.5 pounds down, etc. That number would depend on where my beginning weight would be......whether it's high or low. I'm wondering if doing this once per month would gradually solidify my new lower set point. Doing it this way might actually decrease my fasting times......but it might not. I think the not knowing part (of how long my fast would last) would make things interesting.

Since I see no detriment for me to fast, I think I might try this approach and see what happens. Typically I only do longer fasts when hubby is gone, so this would be a challenge. It's not nearly as easy to fast when people around you are eating and watching TV with food commercials.
That's a very interesting idea! I love the idea of taking the clock out of the equation, as it haunts me on longer fasts as well :)

I had another idea on my walk this morning. I could also use a measurement value to determine my goal. I've not actually measured my waist or legs before a fast before, so I'll have to pay attention to that the next time around to determine how many inches I lose on a longer fast. My waist and thighs are much learner now then they were before the fast. I also don't have the bloated feeling that I did before the fast, which is likely due to the hormone reset. So, that is another option to consider, although it would require a person to be honest with oneself and not tighten up that measuring tape. LOL! But, like I said, I could easily feel the difference in my body during the second night of the fast.

Doing this monthly fast could really help the liver and pancreas re-set and perhaps get more used to 'normal' by not constantly getting bombarded with food. The body sometimes just needs a rest. No matter how healthy the food is that you eat, you are still asking your body to process it. Giving it a break every now and again has been touted as having very real health advantages.

Another immediate post benefit of doing the fast is that I don't require nearly as much food to feel satisfied right now. I know that will gradually change as I start refeeding, but I typically eat my healthy raw veges first on my plate before eating the stuff I really want to eat. In eating this way, I notice that I don't really want or need much of the other stuff, especially now that my stomach has shrunk. So, if I were to reset monthly, it could make a huge difference in controlling the volume of food I eat. Perhaps this approach will keep my on track while still allowing me the flexibility to do what I normally do the rest of the month while getting the results I want, which includes much more than just weight loss.

I kinda forgot about what I posted before on this thread. I just got done with a 59.5 hour fast. I didn't really have a goal when I started except that I wanted to go at least 2 days. It went as usual. The first day was no big deal and the evening of the second day the mind games started. I got through it without too much discomfort. I didn't sleep long or very well on either of the fasting nights as usual. I just don't seem to need the sleep when fasting.

Today I decided I was going to treat myself to a salad and pizza for lunch. I had about a 10 minute ride home with the pizza in my car. My mouth was watering! LOL! It tasted sooooo good. I was full after about a third of the salad and 2 small pieces of pizza. Normally, I could eat much more than that.

I could have made it to 60 hours but the pizza was hot and I wasn't waiting. I'm still trying to decide if not having a firm goal is better than just half-azzing it like I did this time. Although, two and a half days is nothing to be ashamed of and I'm doing it for autophagy and cancer prevention. I had 2 sores that healed up nicely that I noticed today.....just small abrasions. I attribute that to the autophagy. The mental sharpness was there too, which is such a nice bonus b/c I had a lot of paperwork to do, yet still didn't completely finish it. I really think I needed the hormone reset so I'm glad I did it.

I've fallen off the wagon of doing a 24 hour fast at least once per week. I need to get back to doing that, especially over the holidays when food (especially carbs) are everywhere.

Hi Angie,

I think that if you're having success with keeping it "loose", there is no need to make your life miserable for the sake of a few extra hours of a fast.

We went through various phases over the past few years. When we first started keto, there was a lot of adjustment and something like a 2 or 3 day fast wasn't a big deal. We felt like we "weren't hungry", and lots of people told us, if we weren't hungry, don't eat. So we didn't. As time progressed and we got used to being in ketosis, the weight was dropping off, and we started feeling a lot younger, a lot of the intensity of the diet kinda went away. Keto and low-carb eating became a habit. And after a couple of years, we really did not get too excited about fasting or even having some meals that were totally not keto. Those "naughties" were an exception, not a rule. Most of our "fasting" became more of a... "I'm not hungry, are you?" "Not really." "Wanna skip supper?" "Sure." And that was a 24 hour fast, we just never called it that.

I think I personally have more of an impact on my own health when I take a few days and am just very careful about eating clean, not cheating, but keeping it really simple. Might even be as simple as having a few hard boiled eggs and calling that a meal. Or having my coffee and calling that "breakfast", which will make me feel like I've eaten even if I haven't since it's warm and filling. For the most part, once the time passes, I tend to forget that I haven't eaten. Lots of head stuff. You know about that.

You're right about carbs being everywhere. Tis the season. We have Halloween candy, then Halloween candy leftover and on sale, then Thanksgiving, then Thanksgiving leftovers, then numerous Christmas parties, Christmas, the day after Christmas, and finally New Years. Isn't this fun? LOL!!

Oh, and don't forget about the holiday drinks! That kinda gets us both (hubby and I) in trouble with keto. We're not vodka drinkers, although that would probably help. LOL! We like our weekends....and holidays too, and those are normally paired with fun beverages that are not low carb.

I've never been a breakfast eater. Coffee only. Often times I don't get a chance to eat until late afternoon or dinner time, which is fine with me. I never schedule lunch into my day b/c I know I don't have to, and I'll be just fine. Hubby, on the other hand, often skips breakfast but never skips lunch or dinner. Then again, I tend to snack at night and he doesn't.

Remember when nutritionists and fitness folks used to say, ya gotta start your day with a good breakfast to keep that metabolism revved. Well, that turned out to be bull. Maybe it holds true for big muscle builders, but not so much for the average Jane or Joe. For me, eating breakfast only makes me hungrier during the day, especially if it's pancakes, toast, or cereal. Eggs and bacon would be fine, but I just am not in the mood to eat in the AM.

We're not really on the keto train anymore. It really does take a lot of dedication, although (as you know PopT) once you get used to it, it's not all that bad. We were more low carb than keto anyways and still did well with it for a while. We'd be careful Su-Th and then loosen it up on F-Sat and still got decent results. I have maintained my weight in the range that's acceptable to me, although I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds. Still, I'm not going to stress over that. There's too many other things in life to stress about. I weigh myself once per week and write it down to keep myself accountable. I'm sure the scale will be nice to me tomorrow after the fast, but that won't last. I'm fit and healthy so I'm just going to keep on doing what I'm doing......even though I could clean up my diet a bit.🤪

ETA: Good to see you PopPopT! It's been a while......

I clense once a week with lemon juice, hot pepper, baking soda and distilled water. I break fast with eggs fried in coconut butter, it blows the liver out.

. We'd be careful Su-Th and then loosen it up on F-Sat and still got decent results. I have maintained my weight in the range that's acceptable to me, although I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds. Still, I'm not going to stress over that.
I wish y'all could email me any 'extra pounds' that you have to lose.
I struggle to even eat one meal a day because I have no appetite. ☹️
Sometimes I have to 'force-feed' myself or I will eat nothing (unintended fasting).
Keeping my weight from evaporating even further is a constant struggle.gaah
So, jiggle those extra 10 pounds, and celebrate that you ain't me:thumbs::D.
...Think about it like having some 'extra money' in your checking-account:).

Last edited:
I ran across this today and thought it might serve as motivation for myself and others. I won't be fasting this weekend, but I will do a 24 hour fast on Tuesday. After New Years, I'll have to plan another 2 or 3 day fast. The last time I did that was in November.
1671907303510.png

I have done fasts for Godly reasons and health reasons, in fact I did a health fast about a week ago, fasting works. Sometimes it doesn't always feel that good but I'm willing to live with that for the end result.

The way I have been this holiday season an intermittent fast would be a very good idea.

Do you think January would be intermittent enough?

I just finished my 48 hour fast. I should have extended it through tonight and into tomorrow, but I have a slight head cold and thought it best to take care of that. It started just before I decided to do a fast. I have a dry throat, slight cough, and a nose that's leaking like a faucet. Oh, how I hate that! Nobody was around me today, so I had kleenex shoved up my nose so that I didn't have to wipe every 2 minutes. I'm sure I'll have some rudolph nose tomorrow anyways. But, as far as colds go, this one was extremely mild. Hopefully it has run it's coarse.

I broke the fast with some chicken soup, eggs, cheese, and dark chocolate. I took an apple cider vinegar tab and an elderberry tab to get on top of this cold. My nose already seems to be responding well. I really needed to get back on track with the eats, so hopefully this will kickstart that, although I need to go and grab fresh veges sometime this week. I started a new workout program almost 2 weeks ago, so I need to lean more toward keto to optimize that. I wish I didn't LOVE carbs so darned much. :(

This past couple of weeks, I have been doing the 18:6 eating window. I open up my window usually around 2pm and then close it at 8 (or before). I do that 5 days per week, taking weekends off. In addition, at least once per week I do a 24 hour fast. I'm going to try and stick with this for 2 months and evaluate my progress after that. It's not all for weight loss, but I am hoping to lose 5-10 pounds. Even on the weekends, I try and not eat until at least after noon, which is not usually difficult for me. But I eat and drink stuff on the weekends that I shouldn't. Life's too short not to have something to look forward to.🙃

Last edited:
I just finished my 48 hour fast. I should have extended it through tonight and into tomorrow, but I have a slight head cold and thought it best to take care of that. It started just before I decided to do a fast. I have a dry throat, slight cough, and a nose that's leaking like a faucet. Oh, how I hate that! Nobody was around me today, so I had kleenex shoved up my nose so that I didn't have to wipe every 2 minutes. I'm sure I'll have some rudolph nose tomorrow anyways. But, as far as colds go, this one was extremely mild. Hopefully it has run it's coarse.

I broke the fast with some chicken soup, eggs, cheese, and dark chocolate. I took an apple cider vinegar tab and an elderberry tab to get on top of this cold. My nose already seems to be responding well. I really needed to get back on track with the eats, so hopefully this will kickstart that, although I need to go and grab fresh veges sometime this week. I started a new workout program almost 2 weeks ago, so I need to lean more keto to optimize that. I wish I didn't LOVE carbs so darned much. :(

This past couple of weeks, I have been doing the 6:18 eating window. I open up my window usually around 2pm and then close it at 8 (or before). I do that 5 days per week, taking weekends off. In addition, at least once per week I do a 24 hour fast. I'm going to try and stick with this for 2 months and evaluate my progress after that. It's not all for weight loss, but I am hoping to lose 5-10 pounds. Even on the weekends, I try and not eat until at least after noon, which is not usually difficult for me. But I do eat and drink stuff on the weekends that I shouldn't. Life's too short not to have something to look forward to.🙃
I've just started the 8:16 window in hopes I can stick with it then will alter it from there. I'd been doing the occasional 24 hr. fast. Hoping this is more sustainable. It's kinda tricky working it with my work and cooking schedule - it does mean I don't get to eat food when I cook it at the moment. So living on left-overs.

I've been trying the 16:8 window as well for a month or so. It's hard since I enjoy breakfast, but with my work schedule it's easier to skip that. Dinner is around 11am, supper normally between 6 and 7. So far its working out fairly well, I'm adjusting ok. I like carbs as well, not cutting them out, just trying to limit them somewhat.

I finished a 52 hour fast yesterday. Hubby went on an overnight trip and I had a ton of stuff to do, so it was probably the easiest fast I have done. I could have easily went longer with it, but I committed to making hubby some pork chops and fixins' for dinner. I'm also trying to do some muscle building with heavy weights and I really had a hard time with the weights doing that workout at the 50 hour mark. I was huffin' and puffin' and had to take breaks during it, which I don't normally need to do. I hit the wall just before the halfway mark. I'll have to remember to do cardio when fasting b/c it was a huge struggle to finish my weight routine and I don't remember cardio being much of an issue.

I didn't have any issues with the fast except that my back palate was a bit sore when I first started re-feeding, which had never been a problem before. I had less than half a pork chop, a salad, stuffing, and green beans. The soreness went away before I finished dinner.....it was just kinda weird.

I either read or saw somewhere that spike proteins can be combatted with autophagy. The best way to stimulate autophagy is fasting. That gave me the idea to do a fast while hubby went out of town. I had also strayed off my usual weekday fasting routine, so it's back on track again. I need to get back to being good during the week with fasting and clean eating. The weekends are open to whatever.....LOL! That's probably not a great plan, but it works for me. I can usually maintain by being good 5 days per week and letting loose on 2.

@angie_nrs fasting isn't good for muscle building. It does promote HGH production, but it is very difficult to build larger, stronger muscles while in a calorie deficit. Muscles need those calories, and a lot of protein, to repair and rebuild themselves. And, as you noticed, fasted muscle fatigue is a thing.

I'd like to try IF but as a Type 1 diabetic it's extremely difficult to do safely. I may try window eating though. The "10 to 5" plan might work well, if I can keep out of hypoglycemia in the evening and overnight...

@angie_nrs fasting isn't good for muscle building. It does promote HGH production, but it is very difficult to build larger, stronger muscles while in a calorie deficit. Muscles need those calories, and a lot of protein, to repair and rebuild themselves. And, as you noticed, fasted muscle fatigue is a thing.

I'd like to try IF but as a Type 1 diabetic it's extremely difficult to do safely. I may try window eating though. The "10 to 5" plan might work well, if I can keep out of hypoglycemia in the evening and overnight...
Yeah, I knew it wasn't ideal, but I wanted to stay on my rotation without interruption. I've been doing weights exclusively now for 3 weeks and I get a little stubborn with making sure I keep on track when I pick out a rotation. I've done weights earlier on in a fast without any issues, but never that late into it, especially with heavy weight like I'm doing now. Hitting failure wasn't a problem that day and I really really wanted to cut that workout short, which is not typical. The fast was not really planned, it was just kind of a last minute thing, so i went with it.

You definitely have some challenges to deal with in trying IF. I hope you can find a schedule that works well for you.
My body needs FUEL, I couldn't do what I do without eating!!
Yes you could. Even a 12 hour fast produces some healthy results (see post #134 for the chart of benefits). Fasts actually tend to reduce fatigue. I typically get tons of stuff done when I do longer fasts b/c I have lots of energy and sharp mental focus. In fact, I'm a bit hyper during a fast, which is not something I always like. It feels like I've had way too many cups of coffee even when I haven't had any. I also have a hard time sleeping too b/c I feel like I'm wired. I wish I had known about fasts back in my college days b/c it's way better than coffee. I would have fasted before exams had I known.

I went on a 60 hour fast a couple of weeks ago. Not my intent. I had the Queen Mother of all head colds, It was so bad my wife tested me for Covid (which was negative). I had no appetite whatsoever for three days. You know the old adage: "Starve a cold - Feed a fever" Well, I starved the cold. Not the recommended way but I did lose five pounds.

Last night I finished a 44 hour fast. It seems like every time hubby goes hunting or fishing up at camp, I tend to go ahead and do a fast. Hopefully he brings me home some fish tomorrow! I was going to extend the fast into today, but I had a busy schedule today and I would've actually had at least a 62 hour fast b/c I knew I wouldn't be home to eat until then. I really should have ramped up the will power to do that, but I was just drooling over the thought of bacon and eggs. I realized I didn't have any bacon thawed, so I had sausage and eggs instead with some garden tomatoes, a slice of toast, and keto pudding. It was delish!

Because I had a busy day, I did an 18 hour fast today, even though it wasn't really planned that way. I just don't eat when I'm working or on the road and it doesn't bother me at all. Being busy is the best thing for a person who's fasting.

I hope I got some good autophagy going. I feel better......less achy and bloated. A hormone reset and liver rest every now and again is a good thing for me. As a bonus, I'm much more mindful of the food I'm eating after doing a longer fast. Although, going into the weekend, I'm not sure how long that's gonna last. :ghostly:

THE HOUR BY HOUR BENEFITS OF INTERMITTENT FASTING!​

We all naturally fast – or take a break from eating – for at least 8 hours a day. It’s when we’re asleep!

The prevailing view has always been to start your day with a hearty breakfast but recent research suggests that taking a longer break can help you lose weight and improve overall health. It’s a movement that has gained popularity but it is also evidence based with research continuing to show its benefits.

Whether you call it “intermittent fasting” (aka IF) or “ time-restricted eating,” it involves intentionally taking a “break” from eating for anywhere from 12 to 16 hours a day.

Intermittent Fasting has been shown to:

🔥Lower Insulin Levels

🔥Enhance Recovery & Reduce Inflammation

🔥Boost your metabolism

🔥Increase Fat Burning,

🔥Help with Cellular Regeneration

Also, it stands to reason that if you’re eating for fewer hours a day, there’s a good chance you’re eating less overall, helping to lose weight if that’s a goal.

Pretty impressive huh?

And it’s not nearly as hard as you think.

There are numerous health benefits related to intermittent fasting including:

• Weight and body fat loss. ...
  • Increased fat burning. ...
  • Lowered blood insulin and sugar levels. ... (Possible reversal of type 2 diabetes)
  • Possible improved mental clarity and concentration. ...
  • Possible increased energy. ...
  • Possible increased growth hormone, at least in the short term

https://www.inhousestudiofitness.co...hour-by-hour-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting

I was a low fat and high carb poster child. I worked in the food manufacturing industry and attended many of classes on nutrition. I considered it expert advice from a leading university (u of c) that should have been an authority on the matter?

Breaking the carb addiction was key for me. Fasting became natural and quite easy after that. My carb addicted self could barely go four hours without refuelling! Especially if I had been working hard.

Just one of the many benefits that I personally realized after adopting a low carb, high (er) fat diet...

The exact opposite of the diet prescribed by so called experts?
(fact check: there are essential aminos. There are essential fatty acids. There are zero essential carbohydrates.)

(fact check: there are essential aminos. There are essential fatty acids. There are zero essential carbohydrates.)

Yup. :) Funny how that works. I've heard people try to argue that but I've also seen the people who ignore it a few of which are zero carb. The thing I find the most fascinating is the appearance of youth among some aging carnivores. I've seen 60, 70, even 80 year olds on a long term carnivore diet that look 20 to 30 years younger than their real age. I've also seen vegans at 60 or 70 that look like death warmed over that wanted to preach to me about their "healthy" diet.

Not gonna suggest what anyone else should do. But when I see the things I mention above, I notice. FWIW, I used to be a vegan. Spent the better part of a decade trying to get that right. I didn't find it a healthy place to be and have since changed my ways. I only wish I hadn't waited so long to change them. (Changed some other stuff too, but that's not the topic at hand.) If some do find plant based and/or vegan lifestyles healthy, God bless 'em, and I don't say that sarcastically.

Latest posts

Back