Is anyone seeing a lot of flu?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@angie_nrs ouch on the food poisoning and chicken is just the worst for creating horrid experiences :( .

I was driving trucks interstate and got food poisoning from a chicken take away, by the time I got to the next town I was doubled up and barely able to move and parked the truck outside the emergency entrance to the hospital and just kept pressing the horn until someone came to carry me inside :eek: . Interesting thing is no-one could drive a truck to remove it for some hours, so they had to call a local truck company to help them move my truck. One admin even came and asked me to move the truck and I said simply "not likely" whilst my stomach was doing it's best impression of a water fountain into a kidney bowl. They soon went away.

Every time there is any kind of report on tv about the flu, there is also a comment about getting the vaccination. Big Pharma is getting free advertising and promotion on every news story.

I wonder. The cigarette industry used to pay Hollywood to have their characters smoke. Product placement is all over the movies, why not the news?

I find it curious the US Flu Map hasn't been updated this week. I also find it curious the movie "Contagion" was shown several times last week. Coincidence????? I think one of the most telling moments of the movie was when Dr. Mears said "keep your hands off your face, Larry". I did learn about fomites from the movie. (Fess up... how many of you will Google "fomites"?)

Note: I chose not to copy in the flu map because it is supposed to be updated weekly.
Maybe the person who has that responsibility has the flu!

Just finished cleaning up son#3's, um, upchuck that didn't quite make it into the bathroom. Man, that came on fast...

Guess we have something in the household. Don't know yet if it's flu. Poor kid. He has both a rifle competition and a fencing tournament this weekend.

My daughter was dealing with 2 toddlers ' my greats grands' who were sick a couple days ago with same thing you have. Had them tested for flu, no flu but now her and the whole house is sick with some kind of virus. She has probably pumped the whole house full of diamacious earth , vinegar and no telling what else by now.

I wonder. The cigarette industry used to pay Hollywood to have their characters smoke. Product placement is all over the movies, why not the news?
As a side note: A few years ago, I found out that the Marlboro man (one of them) was someone I went to h.s. with. I have no idea if he really even smokes, or not. His family are into rodeos and horses. His sister owns some race horses.

I've had Type A for 3 weeks,
Now the wife, after doctor visit today , has Type A also.

How's that for losing 6-8 weeks outta your life.

:barf::eyeballs:

Jim
Y'all get well soon my friend! Sorry that it hit yuns so hard.

Just finished cleaning up son#3's, um, upchuck that didn't quite make it into the bathroom. Man, that came on fast...

Guess we have something in the household. Don't know yet if it's flu. Poor kid. He has both a rifle competition and a fencing tournament this weekend.
When I took Agriculture classes in High School we had Tractor Driving contest and stuff, but never a fencing tournament! How many rolls of wire can he put up in a day? Does he have to set his own fence posts, or are they already set? Are they steel or wood posts?
Hopefully he's over it by the weekend!

So glad you haven't got the flu yourself and your wife @gumpy it is really nasty. If I was over there knowing what we went through over here I would be wearing a mask when I went out that I brought from home.

The reason why it is so severe in my opinion is that a lot of people don't isolate themselves or keep their germs to themselves at home but instead choose to go out and infect others. Most people should know to stay at home if you are sick or should have been brought up with that knowledge at least :confused: .

We had a lot of our church members who came to church with it for weeks, dare I say it most inconsiderate of them too. We stay at home when we are sick but it seems we are a minority in our group of acquaintances.
Yes, people should stay home when they are sick. Unfortunately, one is contagious with the flu virus a couple days before symptoms develop.

As a side note: A few years ago, I found out that the Marlboro man (one of them) was someone I went to h.s. with. I have no idea if he really even smokes, or not. His family are into rodeos and horses. His sister owns some race horses.

Tom Sellect 'Blue Bloods' first started out as Marlboro Man. We use to see him on billboards on horseback with cig sticking out of his mouth .

Yes, people should stay home when they are sick. Unfortunately, one is contagious with the flu virus a couple days before symptoms develop.

In a perfect world yes, stay home.

I have a female co-worker, divorced (cheating husband), have custody of small children and the Ex plays games with the child support. Sick and vacation days have already been used for children's and co-worker's illnesses. Her nose is barely bobbing above water from pay check to pay check. It's obvious she isn't feeling well and is embarrassed for exposing co-workers...but she doesn't have a better choice.

In a perfect world yes, stay home.

I have a female co-worker, divorced (cheating husband), have custody of small children and the Ex plays games with the child support. Sick and vacation days have already been used for children's and co-worker's illnesses. Her nose is barely bobbing above water from pay check to pay check. It's obvious she isn't feeling well and is embarrassed for exposing co-workers...but she doesn't have a better choice.
Hopefully, since everyone seems to know she's sick, she's wearing a flu mask.

Hopefully, since everyone seems to know she's sick, she's wearing a flu mask.

That should get the plaque wheels turning in all co-workers heads, lol. Some may even call in the CDC. Of course a lot of these workers are around food so in that case don't bring your hard knock life to the public. The real old and real young it could be a death sentence so stay home.
What I don't get is why more men aren't in prison for abandonment. In mines case he did an addition on the judges house so he had get out of jail free card. Him and the judge should have went to prison.

When I took Agriculture classes in High School we had Tractor Driving contest and stuff, but never a fencing tournament! How many rolls of wire can he put up in a day? Does he have to set his own fence posts, or are they already set? Are they steel or wood posts?
Hopefully he's over it by the weekend!

Oh, you wouldn't believe what he can do with those wooden posts! Comes from being part Scottish and having all those caber tossers in the family tree.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caber_toss

Good one, Gumpy! :D

That doesn't work very well IF you have runny nose, coughing and sneezing. The people wearing masks (outside of a medical setting) often times are doing it to protect themselves, not prevent spread to others.
Either way works for me. In Japan it is considered rude to not wear a mask if you are sick. I suspect that many others wear a pask for their own protection. I was taught to put a mask on a sick patient and if it was something I was worried about to put a mask on both of us.

@winds-of-change you are correct as that is the other side of the flu is that you are contagious before you show symptoms too so another cause of it spreading as well.

@The Lazy L I feel sorry for your co-worker that she finds herself in such a situation. It is hard to bring up children on one income I know I did it. In my case I left because he was a drunk though and took the children with me.

Either way works for me. In Japan it is considered rude to not wear a mask if you are sick. I suspect that many others wear a pask for their own protection. I was taught to put a mask on a sick patient and if it was something I was worried about to put a mask on both of us.

Oh I'm not saying it's a bad thing either way. It's just that if your nose won't stop running, it's kinda hard to keep a mask on. I wouldn't be too happy working with someone who was in that condition, although working in the hospital wasn't any better.

I remember we used to get some real jerks in the hospital who didn't want to be there. If they were restrained, we used masks on them so they couldn't spit on us. We were usually warned ahead of time by the LEO's that brought them in that they were spitters. It was typically drunks or druggies who were there to sober up so they could then go to the pokie. Boy, those were good times!

Boy, those were good times!

@angie_nrs you couldnt pay me enough to be a nurse, too tough a job

Even servicing catscans or mri’s wasn’t safe in the early 90’s. GE manufactured a great CT with a badly designed patient table. To do maintenance or repairs to the table I had to take off a panel. I had to stick my fingers under a small gap between the floor and the panel. No matter how careful I was I’d get needle pricks from needles that didn’t make it into the red hazardous waste container. For several years I had to take blood tests for aids every 4 months… Thankfully I never got that disease. I never understood how you folks coped. Bless you and all that could do it.

I’ll never forget a 5-year-old girl at a children’s hospital. She had beautiful eyes, tried to speak but couldn't. She had a contrast CT for a brain tumor before surgery (she had a shunt). I had to check a cable after the contrast injection. She held onto my finger while I checked the cable at the base of the table. She didn’t make it, she died before leaving radiology. I’ll never forget that child. :(

Last edited:
I’ll never forget a 5-year-old girl at a children’s hospital. She had beautiful eyes, tried to speak but couldn't. She had a contrast CT for a brain tumor before surgery (she had a shunt). I had to check a cable after the contrast injection. She held onto my finger while I checked the cable at the base of the table. She didn’t make it, she died before leaving radiology. I’ll never forget that child. :(

It is hard when a child dies. We did some work at an AIDS orphanage in RSA some years back and fell in love with the kids there. It’s hard to think back when you know all of those kids are dead.

I remember on Zulu boy Francie who was adamant that he would teach me a Zulu dance to show the congregation in Canada. He was successful and I did.

My wife’s heart was broken when one evening two of the little ones crawled inside her jacket with her (it was their winter) to warm up. Sister(the name of one of the girls) snuggled in even tighter and asked “will you be my mommy?”

Tough stuff

30DDD158-09DB-4ACA-86AC-DE8E69AFEFD1.jpeg

I saw this shirt photo and wanted to share with all the nurses here

Bob, it is hard, but I cannot imagine doing anything else! When you absolutely love what you do, it stops being work and just becomes life.
That is how I felt about pastoral ministry ... from the womb to the tomb... what a privilege

Latest posts

Back