Jakes CJ7 build

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashbrown

Peckerwood
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Jake saved up enough money to buy himself a Jeep cj7 last summer. I wish I would have started a thread when we got it. We have been in the process of going through everything. The previous owners were not mechanically inclined so we have had to try and figure out their way of thinking. They had cut every inch of wire out of it and changed the motor. We are several months into it and we are getting close on the wiring and have came along way on the rest of the Jeep but still have a lot of work left.

Jakes Jeep project so far just kind of thinking out loud so I know where I am. I bout a couple of parts Jeeps to help with the project.

Completed items

Complete wire harness including all new switches including ignition and under hood wiring.
New radiator,hoses and heater core and water pump and belts
New distributor plugs and wires
New heater blower motor.
New fuel pump carburetor throttle cable and adapter

New steering column bearings
New signal and horn controls.
New oil temp and volt gauges.
Used jeep steering wheel and horn button.
New rear lights
Used power steering brackets
New/used clutch pedal and linkage.

New cable controls for heater new heater blower motor
I bought tj bucket seats and console and locker for behind the rear seat.
Things I need to do
Rebuild the drive line
Install cage
New exhaust
New brakes and check wheel bearings
Needs master cylinder
I have to paint it and undercoat.
Can't get fuel from tank
Front bumper and winch still needed
Will need new tires and paint rims
Go through the front end/ steering
At least the list is getting shorter.

03995A44-967F-4F48-B771-B74B180CDF75.jpeg
3DA557F8-6F7F-4653-8729-853B5F443E01.png

The red parts Jeep had a decent hard top and doors but was missing the back hatch. I have looked for one locally for several months but couldn’t find one. I bought one on the East coast a few days ago waiting for it to be shipped now. I think he will enjoy it more with a hard top. The red jeep also had a full roll cage we removed for our build.

C034ED6B-657E-4793-B13D-78E5C32C1FF5.jpeg
7CCCFC7A-A33B-4646-BCDD-F5D2108489A3.jpeg

Attachments

• F422EB1A-052D-490A-AC6B-3BB71331B00B.jpeg
    F422EB1A-052D-490A-AC6B-3BB71331B00B.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 0
So skip forward until today I have the Jeep starting with the new ignition all exterior lights and flashers working all new wiring complete on the engine. I have to finish wiring the dash and Jake is working on the doors and top. By the time we get finished with the project I could have bought a nice Jeep but wouldn’t have taught Jake anything or got to spend time with him.

21207DF6-BFC9-47F2-9F87-7ABB4DA00E17.jpeg
18ECF378-E58D-4ACF-AA51-261E036CD286.jpeg
B9E53529-F9A8-4E96-A9B4-D121CC217F60.jpeg

When it's finished he will be able to fix anything that goes bad.
There is nothing like experience for repairing autos.
I was starting to wonder how he would feel driving a pink Jeep but it cleaned up to a nice red.
🤣🤣🤣 I’m going to do a two stage paint job on it farther into the build. I think he’s picking up a lot of knowledge along the way.

I was stuck in Prince Rupert for a few days, back when I was a teen. I met the mechanic/owner of small garage. He had been a chauffeur for Rolls Royce as an early career. Back the Rolls delivered a chauffeur with each vehicle. The factory chauffeur could manufacture every part on the car and was on the assembly team for that vehicle. Jake will be well on the way to that much knowledge about his Jeep.

I was stuck in Prince Rupert for a few days, back when I was a teen. I met the mechanic/owner of small garage. He had been a chauffeur for Rolls Royce as an early career. Back the Rolls delivered a chauffeur with each vehicle. The factory chauffeur could manufacture every part on the car and was on the assembly team for that vehicle. Jake will be well on the way to that much knowledge about his Jeep.
In today’s times it’s sort of a dinosaur of a vehicle but I believe by the time we are done he will have a good knowledge of his Jeep. It’s like working on a tractor. You drive through the school parking lot today and most of the kids drive nicer vehicles than I do. I asked him if he was going to be ok driving a forty year old Jeep, he said he wouldn’t have it other way.

In today’s times it’s sort of a dinosaur of a vehicle but I believe by the time we are done he will have a good knowledge of his Jeep. It’s like working on a tractor. You drive through the school parking lot today and most of the kids drive nicer vehicles than I do. I asked him if he was going to be ok driving a forty year old Jeep, he said he wouldn’t have it other way.
Any kid with two brain cells to rub together will envy his home rebuilt Jeep. We all appreciated a new muscle car but the souped up/home rebuilds we really drooled over. Okay, they don't really have new muscle cars today but you get the idea.

In getting that Jeep for Jake to work on is one of the best things you could do for him. Over the years I've known grown men that didn't even know where the spark plugs were on their vehicles, one time a friend asked me why his 60's barge of an Oldsmobile was making a clattering noise, after listening to the engine, when it was shut down I checked the oil dip stick and it didn't register any oil, to me, that was unbelievable, once he added oil the lifters quieted down. I'm sure Jake will be way ahead of a lot of other kids his age, best thing he could be doing by working along with you on his future ride, I love hearing things like this, it does my heart good to know that there are dads like you still around.

My son was the neighbor hood bike repairman starting around age 9.
My garage always had a bike or 2 usually in pieces.
The major problem was he never did put my tools back where they belonged.
He finally did learn with a little encouragement.
I never did figure out how a boy could lose a full set of 1/2" drive sockets working on bicycles but he did.
His first vehicle was a 78 Ford F250 with a straight 6 300. That thing was a beast and he kept it running.
Fast forward 40 years and he is the go to guy for car repairs.
He is pretty good at that.
I also taught my Daughter the basics of car repair.
I made her change the tires and repack the wheel bearings on her car.
Some day Jake will be your go to mechanic.

That is great Hash. I can tell you a boy is a lot less likely to thrash something he put his own sweat and blood into. I used to call my oldest Captain cross thread. After I got tired of fixing his ef ups I showed him how to use the easy outs, taps and dies. Oddly enough his mistakes became less frequent. He finally grasped metric vs standard also.😅

When it's finished he will be able to fix anything that goes bad.
There is nothing like experience for repairing autos.
I was starting to wonder how he would feel driving a pink Jeep but it cleaned up to a nice red.
And I believe folks take better care of things when it’s THEIR sweat that made it possible.

Used CJ7:
- $3500.

Umpteen repair-parts / CJ7-carcassees:
- $2200.

"...By the time we get finished with the project I could
have bought a nice Jeep but wouldn’t have taught Jake
anything or got to spend time with him.."
:
- Priceless. 😍

Way to raise a Man, Hash.. :cool: He'll be grateful all his Life. 👍

jd

I am not mechanically inclined at all. I come from a family of men who are "just good enough" at fixing tractors and vehicles. The easy stuff gets done, but nobody does the complex stuff. I even struggle with the easy stuff. I wish my pops would've taught me more. My brother once pulled a 350 out of a '71 Impala and pulled the straight six out of his '77 Chyenne, and swapped them. He said that was the last time he would try that. The car stuff just isn't in our blood. Seeing what you're doing with Jake makes me wish it was. :thumbs:

I'm sure Jake will be way ahead of a lot of other kids his age, best thing he could be doing by working along with you on his future ride, I love hearing things like this, it does my heart good to know that there are dads like you still around.

Damn right! I'm with Viking on this one... you're a good role model, Hashbrown! You be sure to tell Jake that he's a lucky guy... or better yet, show him this post. I would've killed for a CJ-7 at his age, lol. 😒

Tell him Wingnut said it could've been a '74 Pinto Hatchback... like this one, lol. :oops:

IMG_5472.JPG

sweet, I still have the GM shortbox that I built from parts, started before I needed to shave. when it contains your blood and sweat you respect it.

I think that hanging out with your son and helping him to learn as much as you can teach him about vehicles is one of the best things a parent can do. Think of the kids out there whose parents have no time for them, no interest in helping them to learn about anything and no time to include them in their lives. What are those kids doing? They are looking for a way to get attention and are drinking, drugging, and getting into trouble, instead of being productive.

Latest posts

Back