Martial arts

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I think the brain is man's greatest weapon... but it doesn't hurt to have some physical skills for self-defense. As we age, I think some of us tend to rely more upon bear spray, pistols, etc. Nothing wrong with those options either, especially in open carry states... funny how LITTLE crime there was in the boondocks of Arizona where everybody was strapped, lol. Would-be perps were few and far between, as they knew even Granny was STRAPPED with a .44 and she "might just blow yer head clean off" as a form of redneck entertainment, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :oops:

Truth be told, I always felt "safer" when I walked into Walmart and saw a bunch of gun-totin' rednecks walkin' the aisles, lol... any perp who tried to pull some lamestream media "mass shooting" wouldn't have gotten very far in his mission, the rednecks would've blasted him so full o' holes that he looked like Swiss Cheese! And a lot of those rednecks were ex-servicemen (or women) who knew how to use pistols. Like me, lol. "An armed society is a polite society..." Only in the Big City where gun control is prevalent do so many murders and robberies occur, go figure. Now, back on topic... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Both The Princess ( my better half) have studied Kung Fu. I did not stick with (being deployed at sea complicates things) but she has stuck with and is working on her 5th level black belt. She has also taken up Taekwondo. She likes it for the physical exercise.

She in white in first video.

Doing hooked swords sabre for her 4th level black belt test in second video.

Ben
How long did it take her to achieve that belt?

Reactions: Neb
Sometimes I think the brain is man's greatest weapon... but it doesn't hurt to have some physical skills for self-defense. As we age, I think some of us tend to rely more upon bear spray, pistols, etc. Nothing wrong with those options either, especially in open carry states... funny how LITTLE crime there was in the boondocks of Arizona where everybody was strapped, lol. Would-be perps were few and far between, as they knew even Granny was STRAPPED with a .44 and she "might just blow yer head clean off" as a form of redneck entertainment, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :oops:

Truth be told, I always felt "safer" when I walked into Walmart and saw a bunch of gun-totin' rednecks walking the aisles, lol... any perp who tried to pull some lamestream media "mass shooting" wouldn't have gotten very far in his mission, the rednecks would've blasted him so full o' holes that he looked like Swiss Cheese! And a lot of those rednecks were ex-servicemen (or women) who knew how to use pistols. Like me, lol. "An armed society is a polite society..." Only in the Big City where gun control is prevalent do so many murders and robberies occur, go figure. Now, back on topic... :rolleyes:
Alabama is an open carry state, but where I'm at most of us conceal. The state government bamboozled all of us and is instating Constitutional carry starting January 2023 which is great. I open carry on my property but conceal anytime I am out and about.
There's a couple pretty large cities close by, one with a population around 15,000 and another 33,000. From my observance there isn't a whole lot of crime compared to bigger concrete jungles, but I keep my head on a swivel anyway.

Did Judo and Karate in Germany as a kid and teenager, then did something called Kantetzu Karate in Florida ( sort of a mix of Karate and Tae Kwon Do ) until my mid 40s when I stopped , got tired of injuries, it was a tough class at the time. Daughter did it also but decided to quit after she reached black belt.
I don't blame her, the sensei used to be a really tough guy that taught us to fight ( at the time he was a cop) but then he got married and became a teacher and got weird and the dojo changed a lot and became more geared towards kids.
I 'm a old lady now but could probably still defend myself if I had to, still occasionally do a kata
Ah I gotcha. My gym has kids classes, but they've recently started training me for the fight team. The American Fighting League has hosted some of the fighters in my gym so maybe I'll be one someday.

How long did it take her to achieve that belt?
20-25 years?

She has been working on level 5 for almost 6 years. She has to handle hooked swords...

and a fan form.

She is the first woman her sefu is training for 5th level so she was given an option which weapons. She didn't want to try steel whip ( see the video of her 4th level test of the guy testing dor 5th level) so she chose hooked swords. Only sefu can teach her those forms in private lessons.

She isn't required to do the fancy gymnastics since she broke her wrist. The doctor attributed her fast recovery to her training.

Ben

Has anyone ever studied or trained in Krav-Maga? I have heard it is more geared toward toward self defense, but really know nothing about it other than it is the Israeli entry into the field.

Both The Princess ( my better half) have studied Kung Fu. I did not stick with (being deployed at sea complicates things) but she has stuck with and is working on her 5th level black belt. She has also taken up Taekwondo. She likes it for the physical exercise.

She in white in first video.

Doing hooked swords sabre for her 4th level black belt test in second video.

Ben
Just watched the videos, very cool:) But the katas look completely different from what I learned . I have daughters black belt test on a cd but it would be too large to put on here plus she doesn't want stuff on her online ( job)

found one on youtube

it's harder than it looks....

Reactions: Neb
I couldn't pull off a kata these days to save my life, LITERALLY!
Good thing I know Kung-45 and Ka-hunting knife. But I guess
my best defense is not being a target. I go out of my way to be
as "un intersting" as possible. When that fails, like with dogs, crazies
or punks, I know how to take my walking stick and wreck someone's
day in very short order. the use of a riot baton is a martial art in itself,
and coupled with knowledge of strike points and pain centers, a hundred pound grandmother could mess up a street punk pretty quickly! I Like to "play doctor" I go for the eyes, nose and throat. in wrestling terms, I'm a head hunter! Now some have hard heads. punching the skull just gets you hurt! but if you poke an eye out or rip off an ear, which only takes 8 Lbs PSI to do, the fight's over, likewise the front and sides of the neck are very soft targets, and ramming your thumb into the main artery or windpipe is a great way to put a punk down if you don't care if he lives or not.

@oldschoolgenz : there's a small town about 25 miles from me that was having frequent crime issues. That little rural town is only eight miles from a big town with big crime and it was evidently spilling over? Anyway, years ago, that small town passed A law requiring the ownership of a firearm. "This is NOT a gun free zone" is boasted on the entrance to town.

Kimpo & small circle Jujitsu.
It works against a unaware attacker, but someone who know the art is not easy to fool.
So a knife is better than hand to hand & a gun is better than a knife.

Kimpo & small circle Jujitsu.
It works against a unaware attacker, but someone who know the art is not easy to fool.
So a knife is better than hand to hand & a gun is better than a knife.
True.

Locks are a regular part of the training The Princess learns. She has demonstrated a few that would have had me screaming and severely injured if she applied any real pressure.

Ben

@oldschoolgenz : there's a small town about 25 miles from me that was having frequent crime issues. That little rural town is only eight miles from a big town with big crime and it was evidently spilling over? Anyway, years ago, that small town passed A law requiring the ownership of a firearm. "This is NOT a gun free zone" is boasted on the entrance to town.
I wish modern cities didn't exist.

True.

Locks are a regular part of the training The Princess learns. She has demonstrated a few that would have had me screaming and severely injured if she applied any real pressure.

Ben
AMEN.
Locks & submission holds are not how strong you are, it how skilled you are.
Remember small persons developed most martial arts.

AMEN.

They had to develop 'em, otherwise they would've gotten their @$$es kicked, lol... :oops:

AMEN.
Yup.

I asked what she learned one evening a month or two ago (big mistake). She said grab my arm. Silly me thinking I would surprise her ...

Since I had flat out refused to spar with her for near 30 years...

and twist her arm behind her back. Not so much.

She manipulated my hand and I was crying uncle in less than a second. I can't even remember what she did to which hand.😯

Ben

There is a nerve near the elbow that if you just grip it in two fingers it will send a man to his knees. I never could memorize where it was, but it works!

Another Goju Ryu guy here. about 30 years. I trained in Okinawa twice. Although we're too old to win a fight against a younger guy with the same skills, it still teaches you enough serious stuff to 'disable' an attacker.

because of my size and how I dress people have crossed the street to avoid me, one person tried to throw themselves through a shop window just because I was walking down the street.
out in the countryside here we sort out our own problems, burglar got hung out of an upstairs window by his feet and told to leave and never return(not by me but someone known to me) he left that day and was never seen again.

Modern Army combatives
Western Boxing
Muay Thai
Brazilian Jiujitsu

I probably won't make a lot of friends making this as my first post, but this is the short version:

- There's basically no complete system of Martial Arts. If you're serious about actually knowing how to protect yourself, you're better off studying two that pair well for a few years (Bruce Lee Recommended Western Boxing and Wrestling) and going from there.

- Martial Arts is not magic. Technique is imperative, but that's not a replacement for lifting heavy weight consistently as part of an established program, eating a clean diet with appropriate macros, and regularly working cardio. Nothing is more pathetic than walking into a traditional dojo with a bunch of skinnyfat pencil necks that talk endlessly about how they can kill guys twice their size with moves that come straight out of Dragon Ball Z.

- You need to have some experience sparring. Even if it's just light technical sparring. I'm not saying do it every day, but you need to have done it regularly enough that you know what it's like to get hit hard and know how to parry / slip / block.

- Different bodies are more suited for different martial arts.

- Almost all men have completely exaggerated expectations of their fighting ability. Martial Arts humbles you.

- There's a mental (some call it a "spiritual") component of martial arts that establishes a disciplined warrior's mind.

- If you carry a weapon and you don't know basic martial arts, you're basically a walking holster for anyone within distance who does have that training.

- A lot of the traditional martial arts have senseis that are too old and fat to spar, so they don't know the stuff they're teaching doesn't work. So they teach asinine practices with a ton of confidence to students who never actually find out it doesn't work (until it's too late). Martial arts, like chess, has evolved as people progressively tested different strategies. The evolution of Mixed Martial Arts and UFC provided a proving ground to help equalize the amount of "bullshido" floating around.

Case in point, if your instructor starts talking about how they can "kill any MMA fighter" because they're going to do "moves that are illegal in MMA," you're talking to a clown. This is for a myriad of reasons. Forgetting the fact that shots to the groin weren't even made "illegal" in the American Muay Thai Association until the 1980s, the primary issue is that you have to manage/close distance to do any these "illegal" moves in the first place. Good luck doing that on someone who is trained.

I highly recommend consistent weight lifting as part of an established program, cardio, a balanced diet, and martial arts to anyone. It doesn't take as much time as you probably think.

That was insightful. Welcome to the forum. We have an introductions thread if you are inclined to tell us a little about yourself. I am in Oregon. If the state had a butt I would be south of Portland.😅

Modern Army combatives
Western Boxing
Muay Thai
Brazilian Jiujitsu

I probably won't make a lot of friends making this as my first post, but this is the short version:

- There's basically no complete system of Martial Arts. If you're serious about actually knowing how to protect yourself, you're better off studying two that pair well for a few years (Bruce Lee Recommended Western Boxing and Wrestling) and going from there.

- Martial Arts is not magic. Technique is imperative, but that's not a replacement for lifting heavy weight consistently as part of an established program, eating a clean diet with appropriate macros, and regularly working cardio. Nothing is more pathetic than walking into a traditional dojo with a bunch of skinnyfat pencil necks that talk endlessly about how they can kill guys twice their size with moves that come straight out of Dragon Ball Z.

- You need to have some experience sparring. Even if it's just light technical sparring. I'm not saying do it every day, but you need to have done it regularly enough that you know what it's like to get hit hard and know how to parry / slip / block.

- Different bodies are more suited for different martial arts.

- Almost all men have completely exaggerated expectations of their fighting ability. Martial Arts humbles you.

- There's a mental (some call it a "spiritual") component of martial arts that establishes a disciplined warrior's mind.

- If you carry a weapon and you don't know basic martial arts, you're basically a walking holster for anyone within distance who does have that training.

- A lot of the traditional martial arts have senseis that are too old and fat to spar, so they don't know the stuff they're teaching doesn't work. So they teach asinine practices with a ton of confidence to students who never actually find out it doesn't work (until it's too late). Martial arts, like chess, has evolved as people progressively tested different strategies. The evolution of Mixed Martial Arts and UFC provided a proving ground to help equalize the amount of "bullshido" floating around.

Case in point, if your instructor starts talking about how they can "kill any MMA fighter" because they're going to do "moves that are illegal in MMA," you're talking to a clown. This is for a myriad of reasons. Forgetting the fact that shots to the groin weren't even made "illegal" in the American Muay Thai Association until the 1980s, the primary issue is that you have to manage/close distance to do any these "illegal" moves in the first place. Good luck doing that on someone who is trained.

I highly recommend consistent weight lifting as part of an established program, cardio, a balanced diet, and martial arts to anyone. It doesn't take as much time as you probably think.
You must be in a big city.
No one cares about braggers, in or out of MMA, WCW, WWE, WBA.
All my life I have met braggers in all walks of life, why would Martial Arts be different.
Fat does not mean fake, I have spared with heavy set men who put me on my ass.
Open your mind, Martial was not developed for only young men like Andrew Tate, as good as he is.
Joe Rogan is 51 & 70% of the men could not stop him.
Small women & old men have stopped younger men who made this mistake.

You must be in a big city.
No one cares about braggers, in or out of MMA, WCW, WWE, WBA.
All my life I have met braggers in all walks of life, why would Martial Arts be different.
Fat does not mean fake, I have spared with heavy set men who put me on my ass.
Open your mind, Martial was not developed for only young men like Andrew Tate, as good as he is.
Joe Rogan is 51 & 70% of the men could not stop him.
Small women & old men have stopped younger men who made this mistake.
True, very True. When your number is up it is up. No amount of exercise and eating of yard clippings will stop it

Welcome to the forum Mathematic,
Word of advice. Be very careful around us old out of shap dudes. We are damn good shots

Who you callin' out of shape, Frodo? Speak for yerself, lol... ;)

Moi, I'm like Brad Paisley in the video, I'm 6'5" and looking damned good, lol... :cool:

There are some good points in that post, but the bit about "walking holsters" is hard to swallow... 😒

Somehow that reminds me of some hero on Craigslist who used to squawk about a guy with a knife taking down a guy with a gun... then one day, he quit squawkin', I reckon he finally got shot, lol. 🤣

P.S. Joel, I tried to take some sumo wrestler's lunch money one time, and it did NOT end well, lol... :oops:

Last edited:
Who you callin' out of shape, Frodo? Speak for yerself, lol... ;)

Moi, I'm like Brad Paisley in the video, I'm 6'5" and looking damned good, lol... :cool:

There are some good points in that post, but the bit about "walking holsters" is hard to swallow... 😒

Somehow that reminds me of some hero on Craigslist who used to squawk about a guy with a knife taking down a guy with a gun... then one day, he quit squawkin', I reckon he got shot, lol. 🤣

P.S. Joel, I tried to take some sumo wrestler's lunch money one time, and it did NOT end well, lol... :oops:
I was in a 7/11 when RayRay walked in and told the 4’ tall VC dude to give up the cash, little dude jumped straight up one foot on the counter the other up side RayRays head . Ray Ray fell to one knee, shook his head and shot little dude in the chest. I was on all fours heading to the utility closet

The move little dude did was really really cool and most likely took years of practice to accomplish,
But it was no match for a 45 to the chest

Latest posts

Back