Martial arts

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in a 7/11 when RayRay walked in and told the 4’ tall VC dude to give up the cash, little dude jumped straight up one foot on the counter the other up side RayRays head . Ray Ray fell to one knee, shook his head and shot little dude in the chest. I was on all fours heading to the utility closet

The move little dude did was really really cool and most likely took years of practice to accomplish,
But it was no match for a 45 to the chest
That why my trainer said get them the cash, never fight unless you know you are going to die.
When a Fourth degree black belt in Kimpo says give them the cash, you do it.
He was short & round & fast, he used leverage, speed & knowledge to take down bigger, larger men.
But he said never fight a gun unless you know you are going to die. Then without missing a beat he trained us how to take a gun, also how to stop someone from getting close enough to take our weapons.
Number #1 stay away from places where you could find yourself at the wrong end of a gun.
It has worked for me for thirty years.

That why my trainer said get them the cash, never fight unless you know you are going to die.
When a Fourth degree black belt in Kimpo says give them the cash, you do it.
He was short & round & fast, he used leverage, speed & knowledge to take down bigger, larger men.
But he said never fight a gun unless you know you are going to die. Then without missing a beat he trained us how to take a gun, also how to stop someone from getting close enough to take our weapons.
Number #1 stay away from places where you could find yourself at the wrong end of a gun.
It has worked for me for thirty years.
When I was in the service I got a second job at a 7/11
My first nite alone after being trained
I was robbed
And the cops were PISSED
Cop
Was the suspect black white or Hispanic?
Me. It was a revolver, 357 with hollow points
Cop Sir, was the guy black white orvHispsnic!
Me
It was a revolver, 357, with hollow points
Lol.
After the cops left I walked out the door and never went back

Who you callin' out of shape, Frodo? Speak for yerself, lol... ;)

Moi, I'm like Brad Paisley in the video, I'm 6'5" and looking damned good, lol... :cool:

There are some good points in that post, but the bit about "walking holsters" is hard to swallow... 😒

Somehow that reminds me of some hero on Craigslist who used to squawk about a guy with a knife taking down a guy with a gun... then one day, he quit squawkin', I reckon he finally got shot, lol. 🤣

P.S. Joel, I tried to take some sumo wrestler's lunch money one time, and it did NOT end well, lol... :oops:
You are 6’5” ? Little feller ain’t cha? I am 5’10”
You are in good shape? Looking like a Greek God? Me? Short fat, ugly as a monkeys arse with diarrhea

You must be in a big city.
No one cares about braggers, in or out of MMA, WCW, WWE, WBA.
All my life I have met braggers in all walks of life, why would Martial Arts be different.
Fat does not mean fake, I have spared with heavy set men who put me on my ass.
Open your mind, Martial was not developed for only young men like Andrew Tate, as good as he is.
Joe Rogan is 51 & 70% of the men could not stop him.
Small women & old men have stopped younger men who made this mistake.

Wrong, but why would you even think this besides some pathetic attempt to talk down to me.

Calling out fakes in martial arts is not "bragging." There's nothing bragging in the post.

You're making a huge clown out of yourself. Joe Rogan has literally said many of the exact same things that I did in my post in his show. He regularly discusses how many traditional martial arts aren't effective anymore, along with the importance of athletics in martial arts. In fact, it's part of why he quit Tae Kwon Do. He was a Tae Kwon Do instructor but, when he did Muay Thai for the first time, people in training kicked his butt.

One example of Joe Rogan saying exactly what I said

The reasons most people can't stop him isn't because he knows secret magic techniques. It's because he has been working out and dieting consistently since he was in his 20s. He's in exquisite physical condition, and wouldn't be nearly as threatening if he was 100 lbs overweight.

Then you clearly are not very good. That's why UFC is filled with fat guys, right?

True, very True. When your number is up it is up. No amount of exercise and eating of yard clippings will stop it

Welcome to the forum Mathematic,
Word of advice. Be very careful around us old out of shap dudes. We are damn good shots

There are some good points in that post, but the bit about "walking holsters" is hard to swallow... 😒

So then why are actual trained military and police trained not to draw from their holsters within 21 feet of a perpetrator? Look up the 21 foot rule (since I'm apparently just making all this up).

So that rule applies to the world's best trained military and elite police forces, but apparently it doesn't apply to fat old keyboard warriors on an internet forum? Come on guys. Let's get real here.

Quite frankly, between these low IQ responses and the front page trending post where you clowns are seriously debating whether the CIA is collaborating with CEO of Mountain Dew to advertise their Direct Energy Weapons attack to cause the Maui fires - it's pretty clear to me this forum is filled with people who have nothing to teach me.

It sucks because I just bought 20 acres of property for a homestead. I was going to document everything and wanted a community to share it with, but I think this isn't the community for me.

Have LARPing. Let this post be a testament to why Vbulletin style forums like this have been dead since like 2004.

Modern Army combatives
Western Boxing
Muay Thai
Brazilian Jiujitsu

I probably won't make a lot of friends making this as my first post, but this is the short version:

- There's basically no complete system of Martial Arts. If you're serious about actually knowing how to protect yourself, you're better off studying two that pair well for a few years (Bruce Lee Recommended Western Boxing and Wrestling) and going from there.

- Martial Arts is not magic. Technique is imperative, but that's not a replacement for lifting heavy weight consistently as part of an established program, eating a clean diet with appropriate macros, and regularly working cardio. Nothing is more pathetic than walking into a traditional dojo with a bunch of skinnyfat pencil necks that talk endlessly about how they can kill guys twice their size with moves that come straight out of Dragon Ball Z.

- You need to have some experience sparring. Even if it's just light technical sparring. I'm not saying do it every day, but you need to have done it regularly enough that you know what it's like to get hit hard and know how to parry / slip / block.

- Different bodies are more suited for different martial arts.

- Almost all men have completely exaggerated expectations of their fighting ability. Martial Arts humbles you.

- There's a mental (some call it a "spiritual") component of martial arts that establishes a disciplined warrior's mind.

- If you carry a weapon and you don't know basic martial arts, you're basically a walking holster for anyone within distance who does have that training.

- A lot of the traditional martial arts have senseis that are too old and fat to spar, so they don't know the stuff they're teaching doesn't work. So they teach asinine practices with a ton of confidence to students who never actually find out it doesn't work (until it's too late). Martial arts, like chess, has evolved as people progressively tested different strategies. The evolution of Mixed Martial Arts and UFC provided a proving ground to help equalize the amount of "bullshido" floating around.

Case in point, if your instructor starts talking about how they can "kill any MMA fighter" because they're going to do "moves that are illegal in MMA," you're talking to a clown. This is for a myriad of reasons. Forgetting the fact that shots to the groin weren't even made "illegal" in the American Muay Thai Association until the 1980s, the primary issue is that you have to manage/close distance to do any these "illegal" moves in the first place. Good luck doing that on someone who is trained.

I highly recommend consistent weight lifting as part of an established program, cardio, a balanced diet, and martial arts to anyone. It doesn't take as much time as you probably think.

"Case in point, if your instructor starts talking about how they can "kill any MMA fighter" because they're going to do "moves that are illegal in MMA," you're talking to a clown. This is for a myriad of reasons. Forgetting the fact that shots to the groin weren't even made "illegal" in the American Muay Thai Association until the 1980s, the primary issue is that you have to manage/close distance to do any these "illegal" moves in the first place. Good luck doing that on someone who is trained."

First stop being but hurt, no one said you were bragging, you talked about people bragging.
This kind of flying off the handle, not think about what a person is saying is what I have a problem with.
Calm down or I will ignore you, like they did on those other sites.

Well, all I can say is fulmof

Wrong, but why would you even think this besides some pathetic attempt to talk down to me.

Calling out fakes in martial arts is not "bragging." There's nothing bragging in the post.

You're making a huge clown out of yourself. Joe Rogan has literally said many of the exact same things that I did in my post in his show. He regularly discusses how many traditional martial arts aren't effective anymore, along with the importance of athletics in martial arts. In fact, it's part of why he quit Tae Kwon Do. He was a Tae Kwon Do instructor but, when he did Muay Thai for the first time, people in training kicked his butt.

One example of Joe Rogan saying exactly what I said

The reasons most people can't stop him isn't because he knows secret magic techniques. It's because he has been working out and dieting consistently since he was in his 20s. He's in exquisite physical condition, and wouldn't be nearly as threatening if he was 100 lbs overweight.

Then you clearly are not very good. That's why UFC is filled with fat guys, right?

So then why are actual trained military and police trained not to draw from their holsters within 21 feet of a perpetrator? Look up the 21 foot rule (since I'm apparently just making all this up).

So that rule applies to the world's best trained military and elite police forces, but apparently it doesn't apply to fat old keyboard warriors on an internet forum? Come on guys. Let's get real here.

Quite frankly, between these low IQ responses and the front page trending post where you clowns are seriously debating whether the CIA is collaborating with CEO of Mountain Dew to advertise their Direct Energy Weapons attack to cause the Maui fires - it's pretty clear to me this forum is filled with people who have nothing to teach me.

It sucks because I just bought 20 acres of property for a homestead. I was going to document everything and wanted a community to share it with, but I think this isn't the community for me.

Have LARPing. Let this post be a testament to why Vbulletin style forums like this have been dead since like 2004.
You are a dip **** and are not worth my time
You think to highly of yourself and have no sense of humor
You are the type of personality I would refuse to have in my camp
Lighten up or light up a trail down the road you are not welcome here

[Yawn...] "NEXXXXXXXXT!!!" 🤣

Good thing that big ol' Internet Bad@$$ is leaving, this "keyboard warrior" was quaking in his "low IQ" boots, lol... 😳

Dude needs to go back to Craigslist where he belongs... easier to sling BS there. 😒

Maybe get some "counseling" too... 😉

Funny thing, all the top-flight martial artists I ever met never got butthurt so easily, and they didn't sling insults either... 🤔

Meh, I'm sure the very next MSM "news report" will feature that @$$clown "saving the world for democracy!" 🤪

IMG_0117.jpeg

Modern Army combatives
Western Boxing
Muay Thai
Brazilian Jiujitsu

I probably won't make a lot of friends making this as my first post, but this is the short version:

- There's basically no complete system of Martial Arts. If you're serious about actually knowing how to protect yourself, you're better off studying two that pair well for a few years (Bruce Lee Recommended Western Boxing and Wrestling) and going from there.

- Martial Arts is not magic. Technique is imperative, but that's not a replacement for lifting heavy weight consistently as part of an established program, eating a clean diet with appropriate macros, and regularly working cardio. Nothing is more pathetic than walking into a traditional dojo with a bunch of skinnyfat pencil necks that talk endlessly about how they can kill guys twice their size with moves that come straight out of Dragon Ball Z.

- You need to have some experience sparring. Even if it's just light technical sparring. I'm not saying do it every day, but you need to have done it regularly enough that you know what it's like to get hit hard and know how to parry / slip / block.

- Different bodies are more suited for different martial arts.

- Almost all men have completely exaggerated expectations of their fighting ability. Martial Arts humbles you.

- There's a mental (some call it a "spiritual") component of martial arts that establishes a disciplined warrior's mind.

- If you carry a weapon and you don't know basic martial arts, you're basically a walking holster for anyone within distance who does have that training.

- A lot of the traditional martial arts have senseis that are too old and fat to spar, so they don't know the stuff they're teaching doesn't work. So they teach asinine practices with a ton of confidence to students who never actually find out it doesn't work (until it's too late). Martial arts, like chess, has evolved as people progressively tested different strategies. The evolution of Mixed Martial Arts and UFC provided a proving ground to help equalize the amount of "bullshido" floating around.

Case in point, if your instructor starts talking about how they can "kill any MMA fighter" because they're going to do "moves that are illegal in MMA," you're talking to a clown. This is for a myriad of reasons. Forgetting the fact that shots to the groin weren't even made "illegal" in the American Muay Thai Association until the 1980s, the primary issue is that you have to manage/close distance to do any these "illegal" moves in the first place. Good luck doing that on someone who is trained.

I highly recommend consistent weight lifting as part of an established program, cardio, a balanced diet, and martial arts to anyone. It doesn't take as much time as you probably think.
I agree with pretty much everything you've said. Not sure why others are getting offended....? But yes, there is no one MA that is the best, they all have their strengths and weaknesses and hence why the blending of skills is the ultimate goal.

I took a very formal and traditional Karate for decades, mainly to gain confidence and some fighting skills. But the weakness of this one was the lack of ground fighting techniques.../ you were supposed to be good enough to finish your opponent before it went that far. Lol, it always ended up on the ground in a real serious sparring contest :) And those with any sort of ground knowledge at all would ultimately prevail. Now of course we weren't allowed (in class) to use excessive force or deadly strikes and that might have made a difference, I suspect it would have...

Just before Black belt level, I started training/sparring with a semi-professional kickboxer. initially to help him out, but I found that I got so much better having to wear heavy gloves and learn actual boxing techniques. It was very noticeable in my Dojo sparring sessions and everyone wanted to know what I had been doing.

I think the only type of fighting close to perfect is what has evolved into MMA. Watch one of those matches and you'll clearly see the Karate influences, but also all of those guys are obviously well trained in ground fighting...they have to be because the rounds go on and on and you can't finish the fight that quickly against another pro level fighter.

We once had a pro cage-fighter from Russia come and test for a belt rank at our Dojo and he fought a local guy, accountant, nice guy and pretty good karate fighter in his own right.....in other words, he could have destroyed a punk trying to take his wallet for example....but watching what happened to him when the match started with the cage-fighter was just plain scary, they stopped it really quick. Lol, the guy didn't speak English and thought it was a death match...I doubt the local guy has ever forgotten that moment....

Well, this discussion sure went downhill fast. As a 25 year weaponless defense absorber, I've seen them all. Bottom like, Pew-Pew surpasses Muai Thai, jujitsu, Karate, or any other Asian dish you can pronounce.

I will admit that our instructor, who trained the Special Forces and most police departments in the Los Angeles County, was a 6th Degree Black Belt. He stood 21 feet away, with a rubber edged knife, and the officers stood back 21 feet away with their holstered gun, loaded with blanks. With 60 persons in our class, he killed the holstered, gun wielding cop all but twice. He was there to explain the 21 foot rule, and made a solid point how an assailant WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING, can overtake an officer. Alot has to do with perception/reaction time, but regardless, it was a valuable lesson.

Lastly, to the original poster, we are not vBulletin. We are a group of like minded people, who can talk crap, and we can also smell crap. Right now, the latter is winning. If you'd like to come in here and tell us your knowledge, well, fine. If you want to come in here and tell us how great you are, well, let me know that as well.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said. Not sure why others are getting offended....? But yes, there is no one MA that is the best, they all have their strengths and weaknesses and hence why the blending of skills is the ultimate goal.

I took a very formal and traditional Karate for decades, mainly to gain confidence and some fighting skills. But the weakness of this one was the lack of ground fighting techniques.../ you were supposed to be good enough to finish your opponent before it went that far. Lol, it always ended up on the ground in a real serious sparring contest :) And those with any sort of ground knowledge at all would ultimately prevail. Now of course we weren't allowed (in class) to use excessive force or deadly strikes and that might have made a difference, I suspect it would have...

Just before Black belt level, I started training/sparring with a semi-professional kickboxer. initially to help him out, but I found that I got so much better having to wear heavy gloves and learn actual boxing techniques. It was very noticeable in my Dojo sparring sessions and everyone wanted to know what I had been doing.

I think the only type of fighting close to perfect is what has evolved into MMA. Watch one of those matches and you'll clearly see the Karate influences, but also all of those guys are obviously well trained in ground fighting...they have to be because the rounds go on and on and you can't finish the fight that quickly against another pro level fighter.

We once had a pro cage-fighter from Russia come and test for a belt rank at our Dojo and he fought a local guy, accountant, nice guy and pretty good karate fighter in his own right.....in other words, he could have destroyed a punk trying to take his wallet for example....but watching what happened to him when the match started with the cage-fighter was just plain scary, they stopped it really quick. Lol, the guy didn't speak English and thought it was a death match...I doubt the local guy has ever forgotten that moment....
The Princess told me she managed to flip her sefu. She continued saying "but that was only after he had tossed me a few times! I surprised him by saying 'weeee' ".

She takes both Kung Fu and tao kwon do 4-5 a week. The workouts keep her in shape. She broke her arm suring one sparring match. The doctor was pleased with how quickly she healed " at her age". ;)

Ben

Well, this discussion sure went downhill fast. As a 25 year weaponless defense absorber, I've seen them all. Bottom like, Pew-Pew surpasses Muai Thai, jujitsu, Karate, or any other Asian dish you can pronounce.

I will admit that our instructor, who trained the Special Forces and most police departments in the Los Angeles County, was a 6th Degree Black Belt. He stood 21 feet away, with a rubber edged knife, and the officers stood back 21 feet away with their holstered gun, loaded with blanks. With 60 persons in our class, he killed the holstered, gun wielding cop all but twice. He was there to explain the 21 foot rule, and made a solid point how an assailant WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING, can overtake an officer. Alot has to do with perception/reaction time, but regardless, it was a valuable lesson.

Lastly, to the original poster, we are not vBulletin. We are a group of like minded people, who can talk crap, and we can also smell crap. Right now, the latter is winning. If you'd like to come in here and tell us your knowledge, well, fine. If you want to come in here and tell us how great you are, well, let me know that as well.
I apologize for my part in go down hill.
Doing a lot of thing & getting old make me say thing that maybe should keep to myself.

I got into dancing classic ballet, modern jazz then cheering as a youngster up until and through high school.
In community college I wanted to try something different so I got into the martial arts class.
I only took a few semesters of it but really enjoyed it. I think dancing really helped me pick up the moves well.
I always wanted to get into it again but life got in the way and where I lived didnt offer much.
I went to a 3 day workshop twice in different times that was a womans self defence class. It was a mix of very employable moves from different disciplines as well as just street fighting stuff to quickly n effectively get out of a situation.
I always enjoyed this kind of training. One of the workshops ended with a challange.
All students were attacked by 3 guys in lobster suits. You had 5 minutes but no one made a full 5. The attack wouldn't stop until the attackers felt you effectively gave some kind of blow that would stop a non padded attacker, Or you just had to stop.
It was all filmed so you could go over what went good n what went wrong. It was very humbling.
The biggest guy picked me up from behind n slammed me with him on the ground.
Once the attack started we could take the blindfolds off too..n it was on.
They were to try n get us immobilized and granted those suits are pretty clumsy for them. The guy that went for my legs I got him out. My legs were always my strength. I managed to get off the ground n fight for a few minutes.
I know I gave a few blows that were good and in the real world as soon as I got off the ground I would have ran. I was a runner so that would have been my real world fall back defense probably.
Fighting is exhausting..that was humbling for sure. I think if anything, the best take away was to increase my awareness wherever I'm at so I hopefully never have to fight anyone off.
I pretty good with a 2x4 now..lol..I hurl stacker sticks like ninja daggers just for fun to see how far I can chuck them or get them to hit targets like the catwalk beam.

Doing a lot of thing & getting old make me say thing that maybe should keep to myself.
We all have bad days..even the new guy.
..Maybe he will come back n share his new homestead adventures with us.
It be a bummer if he didnt..there is so much to learn and share experiences with here.
Best of luck to him if he doesnt..

Not at all Joel. See, the difference with the rest of us old timers, we don't have the patience like we once did. It takes months and years to nurture relations, unlike some others, who just like to "rile the troops", or also known in the vBulletin group as "Trolls."

Well, I apologize for the tone and the way I said what I did, I am a hot head and w as out of line
I do not apologize for what I said.
The man’s first post on this forum was condescending and rude to members of a community that I respect

I stand by what I said. His first post on here and he goes off telling everyone how to do their thing. To be a supposed homesteader he sure didn't come off as caring a bit. I didn't catch anything he's doing, trying, wanting to do.
This is a good and very varied group of folks on here. It ticks me off when some yahoo tries to put folks down for no reason other than to make himself look like somebody

A few decades ago, I was into Martial Arts big time. Took second place in a major tournament in San Francisco. I fought 13 times that day and only lost the last fight by one point, due to the fact I hit my opponent in the face, which was not allowed in my belt class. With that being said, I think I do know a little bit about Martial Art fighting. First as stated by several others, no single style is the best. Second, even with all my training and fighting experience, I would not like to go against an armed person. I never met any instructor or fighter that was faster than a speeding bullet. Can a Martial Arts student defend against a knife attack, sure, as long as nothing goes wrong. Me, I will do everything I can to avoid a conflict but if it is unavoidable, I will just shoot them. Yes, I do concealed carry and train with my EDC almost every week. MA is great but not the ultimate defense.

Has anyone ever studied or trained in Krav-Maga? I have heard it is more geared toward toward self defense, but really know nothing about it other than it is the Israeli entry into the field.
I did a year or so of Krav Maga. Work got in the way, and I stopped. But, it was physically demanding (always went home in a total sweat), and it involved taking punches (in pads, but at least you were used to being hit...sort of...I mean, you did have pads) as well as dishing them out. I would generally recommend it. It is the Israeli military's attempt to distill the simplest and most effective takedowns/incapacitation techniques...making it easy to train soldiers and effective in combat. There is no attempt to be fancy or train anything else other than incapacitating your opponent.

One criticism of Krav Maga that I have heard is that you can't practice a lot of it for real, at real speeds, because for many moves, you would actually maim or kill the person with whom you are sparing, so it is all simulated practice. You might think it odd for that to be a disadvantage...I did. I guess the argument is that you can't really know how good you are at it until you are in a life and death situation, and by then, it would be too late if you aren't good enough. On the other hand, boxing and wrestling...and kickboxing, and Muay Thai, and perhaps Brazilian Jiujitsu as well, can all be practiced at speed, with a real opponent who is aggressively using the same techniques against you (not just receiving your technique to allow you to practice). This is a tremendous advantage for those disciplines. So, I liked Krav Maga, but if I had to do it over again, I might have started with:
  1. One of the above disciplines that you can do while on your feet (keeping the retreat option more open at the initial stages of contact): boxing, kickboxing, muay thai (proably the last one).
  2. Then some wrestling or jiujitsu.
  3. Then Krav Maga. (Krav Maga does have elements of boxing and kickboxing; it just adds more damaging attacks on top, so I guess I did get a dose of boxing and kick training...from that perspective, it is a good discipline.)
Anyway, just this amateurs thoughts on the topic. And, to be sure, I am an absolute amateur. Perhaps the experts can pick apart my comments. I've dabbled in Shorin-ryu (a practical variant of the school...I have since gathered that my instructor was a more practical street fighter type than others), Taekwondo (which I found to require more complex movements, which I did not like), and then Krav Maga. I would rank those in a fight, from most useful to least: 1) Krav Maga, 2) Shorin-ryu and 3) Taekwondo.

Last edited:
A few decades ago, I was into Martial Arts big time. Took second place in a major tournament in San Francisco. I fought 13 times that day and only lost the last fight by one point, due to the fact I hit my opponent in the face, which was not allowed in my belt class. ...
This is the kind of disadvantage I was talking about with regard to Krav Maga: Having to "pull your punches" so to speak. Many disciplines suffer from this. In boxing, you can get in the ring and do it for real...you aren't counting touches to body parts. If you are in a full-on competitive match, and you are not allowed to do something that will be fundamental to defending yourself (like striking someone in the face...and receiving strikes to the face), then it is difficult to fully train to defend yourself with that kind of discipline. All of the disciplines I studied/participated in had that disadvantage.

Nobody on our forum needs to apologize. I purposely did not ban him, because I want to hear a response from him. Any response.

CORRECTION:

Nobody has time to deal with trolls such as this newbie, and he has been banned from this forum.
IMG_0127.gif

I did a year or so of Krav Maga. Work got in the way, and I stopped. But, it was physically demanding (always went home in a total sweat), and it involved taking punches (in pads, but at least you were used to being hit...sort of...I mean, you did have pads) as well as dishing them out. I would generally recommend it. It is the Israeli military's attempt to distill the simplest and most effective takedowns/incapacitation techniques...making it easy to train soldiers and effective in combat. There is no attempt to be fancy or train anything else other than incapacitating your opponent.

One criticism of Krav Maga that I have heard is that you can't practice a lot of it for real, at real speeds, because for many moves, you would actually maim or kill the person with whom you are sparing, so it is all simulated practice. You might think it odd for that to be a disadvantage...I did. I guess the argument is that you can't really know how good you are at it until you are in a life and death situation, and by then, it would be too late if you aren't good enough. On the other hand, boxing and wrestling...and kickboxing, and Muay Thai, and perhaps Brazilian Jiujitsu as well, can all be practiced at speed, with a real opponent who is aggressively using the same techniques against you (not just receiving your technique to allow you to practice). This is a tremendous advantage for those disciplines. So, I liked Krav Maga, but if I had to do it over again, I might have started with:
  1. One of the above disciplines that you can do while on your feet (keeping the retreat option more open at the initial stages of contact): boxing, kickboxing, muay thai (proably the last one).
  2. Then some wrestling or jiujitsu.
  3. Then Krav Maga. (Krav Maga does have elements of boxing and kickboxing; it just adds more damaging attacks on top, so I guess I did get a dose of boxing and kick training...from that perspective, it is a good discipline.)
Anyway, just this amateurs thoughts on the topic. And, to be sure, I am an absolute amateur. Perhaps the experts can pick apart my comments. I've dabbled in Shorin-ryu (a practical variant of the school...I have since gathered that my instructor was a more practical street fighter type than others), Taekwondo (which I found to require more complex movements, which I did not like), and then Krav Maga. I would rank those in a fight, from most useful to least: 1) Krav Maga, 2) Shorin-ryu and 3) Taekwondo.
I have been wanting to study/learn krav maga. Watched a video and to me it seemed like more of situational awareness. But, thanks for clearing that up.

Latest posts

Back