Martial arts

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschoolgenz

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Curious if anyone on here has ever had an interest in martial arts? Took a few months of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu but found that I enjoy Kickboxing a lot more. Fantastic workouts for cardio and you gain the skill of fighting with your bare hands.

I had to look that one up. What belt do you have?
He really didn't care about the belt system but he was a Red . He said belts really didn't matter it was to commercialized (he always said you will know when your are there) In my forth yr. he was broad sided and broke his neck and lived a yr. as a quadriplegic. He was from Ok Okinawa .

He really didn't care about the belt system but he was a Red . He said belts really didn't matter it was to commercialized (he always said you will know when your are there) In my forth yr. he was broad sided and broke his neck and lived a yr. as a quadriplegic. He was from Ok Okinawa .
I'm assuming you are talking about your instructor?

That school was. Went for about 9 months. Belts didn't matter much, either. Had judo "untraining"....I was great for taking someone down, and to the mat, but in ninja you also pretend to take them out. Quit going because life got in the way, about the time I was going to start using some of the larger weapons. One fun thing we did for kicks was practice getting around without making any noise. I still like to do that. Still have my black gi, my weird toed boots, and my stars in my closet.

Curious if anyone on here has ever had an interest in martial arts? Took a few months of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu but found that I enjoy Kickboxing a lot more. Fantastic workouts for cardio and you gain the skill of fighting with your bare hands.
Both The Princess ( my better half) have studied Kung Fu. I did not stick with (being deployed at sea complicates things) but she has stuck with and is working on her 5th level black belt. She has also taken up Taekwondo. She likes it for the physical exercise.

She in white in first video.

Doing hooked swords sabre for her 4th level black belt test in second video.

Ben

Attachments

• 13433042_10154111665695516_1951546968_n.jpg
    13433042_10154111665695516_1951546968_n.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 13862707_510547819069899_1272130754_n.mp4
    1.9 MB
  • 13473031_298641267143310_741160607_n.mp4
    4 MB
Last edited:
Curious if anyone else on here has an interest in martial arts. Took a few months of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu but found that I enjoy Kickboxing much more. Fantastic cardio with these sports and you learn how to fight with your bare hands.
Well since I downloaded the videos...

The Princess is in white for first video and doing a sabre form in the second video.

Ben

Attachments

• 13862707_510547819069899_1272130754_n.mp4
    1.9 MB
  • 13473031_298641267143310_741160607_n.mp4
    4 MB
That school was. Went for about 9 months. Belts didn't matter much, either. Had judo "untraining"....I was great for taking someone down, and to the mat, but in ninja you also pretend to take them out. Quit going because life got in the way, about the time I was going to start using some of the larger weapons. One fun thing we did for kicks was practice getting around without making any noise. I still like to do that. Still have my black gi, my weird toed boots, and my stars in my closet.

I got ga.

I studied Tae Kwon Do for several years. Really enjoyed it at the time, and yes, it is a great cardio workout. IMHO it is very beneficial for everyone to learn some method of self defense.

Two of my instructors are black belts in that sport. One a 2nd degree and the other a 3rd.

Funny, I've been to many dojo's but can't recall but one. I was traveling 300dys a yr for work. Impossible to eat healthy on the road, was 40lbs over weight.

Saw a dojo offering a free intro class in a strip mall, seattle I think. When I got home I went to a dojo a few blocks from my apt. Explained my situation, worked out a deal, got a gi, would drop by once in a great while.

But I'd pack my gi in my luggage... went to a lot of free intro classes in various cities.

In those days I could check my handgun as luggage at the airport so I spent a lot of time at gun ranges. Folks there would usually tell me who offered a free karate class. Took several self defense classes too. Tai Chi seemed available everywhere. I lost weight, got in much better shape, met great people!

One of my seven brothers is a black belt in Kung Fu (San Soo), along with his son (my nephew)... moi, I scrapped enough over the years to pick up some martial arts training from my brother and other "adversaries." Tae Kwon Do was popular in my high school, and I had to scrap with some of those disciples too, even though some were friends, lol... drunken brawls, you understand. But I always respected the discipline (and self-discipline) involved with martial arts. One hand I knew was a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and he applied all of those principles & techniques he learned to technical rock climbing... dude was a BAD@$$ climber, lol. Still a good friend too, though we've drifted apart over the years, more's the pity... I always liked the guy, because he didn't f#% around when crunch time came, he just took care of business. But he was DEEP with the core principles too, and would not use force except as a last resort. :cool:

One of my seven brothers is a black belt in Kung Fu (San Soo), along with his son (my nephew)... moi, I scrapped enough over the years to pick up some martial arts training from my brother and other "adversaries." Tae Kwon Do was popular in my high school, and I had to scrap with some of those disciples too, even though some were friends, lol... drunken brawls, you understand. But I always respected the discipline (and self-discipline) involved with martial arts. One hand I knew was a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and he applied all of those principles & techniques he learned to technical rock climbing... dude was a BAD@$$ climber, lol. Still a good friend too, though we've drifted apart over the years, more's the pity... I always liked the guy, because he didn't f#% around when crunch time came, he just took care of business. But he was DEEP with the core principles too, and would not use force except as a last resort. 
It's neat how your art can apply to other situations. I use my kickboxing core techniques and breathing when I'm felling trees with an axe and it makes the job much faster.

I even stopped drinking beer for a bit because I was seeing double:oops:.
@Curmudgeon can help.
I think new guy isn't proficient with forum use yet. I've been here five years and still screw up. LOL

Last edited:
Twenty years ago did tae kwon do for about three years. Switched to American kenpo for a while for the full contact and intro to Brazilian jujitsu.

In those days, bjj was well known as dominant (for combat) from black belt magazine articles, but was just gaining popularity from the first mma and success of Royce Gracie.

A lot of fore mentioned benefits. Also the basics of proper movement, breath control, focus and self discipline? For any casual observer with a curiosity, it is highly recommended.

Back in my later thirtys I was taking a computer repair class at the local junior colledge. I had paid for a full load of hours and the computer class didnt use up all the hours so I signed up for a karate class. The Sensi got the class accreditation because he taught a lot of the history and spirituality.
It turned out to be far harder than I imagined and I enrolled in his dojo after the college class was over. Got into sparring and got as high as brown belt.
Somewhere in there I went thru a messy divorce and karate became a outlet for frustration. I was training and sparring four nights a week and competing in various tournaments on the weekends.
My brown belt was in Shutokan traditional okinawan karate and I also did several other forms at different schools including Goju Ryu and Penjat Silat at a place in Denver.
When I moved from rural washington state to denver and showed up at the local school I didn't really know my skill/bezerker level and i promptly squared off in class with their young guy they were flying to various tournaments around the country. He had all the fancy moves but I had the timing and was able to use timing and closing the distance. After that I got to spar with everybody and only ended up with one broken eardrum, a couple of broken ribs, a broken toe, a kidney infection and a messed up nose.
What did I learn....some very good methods of gathering energy and the fact that there is always someone who is quicker, faster and more deadly, even if they don't look like it.

Don't get hit.
Use more than one technique.
Fight your own fight.
Never stop fighting.

Back in my later thirtys I was taking a computer repair class at the local junior colledge. I had paid for a full load of hours and the computer class didnt use up all the hours so I signed up for a karate class. The Sensi got the class accreditation because he taught a lot of the history and spirituality.
It turned out to be far harder than I imagined and I enrolled in his dojo after the college class was over. Got into sparring and got as high as brown belt.
Somewhere in there I went thru a messy divorce and karate became a outlet for frustration. I was training and sparring four nights a week and competing in various tournaments on the weekends.
My brown belt was in Shutokan traditional okinawan karate and I also did several other forms at different schools including Goju Ryu and Penjat Silat at a place in Denver.
When I moved from rural washington state to denver and showed up at the local school I didn't really know my skill/bezerker level and i promptly squared off in class with their young guy they were flying to various tournaments around the country. He had all the fancy moves but I had the timing and was able to use timing and closing the distance. After that I got to spar with everybody and only ended up with one broken eardrum, a couple of broken ribs, a broken toe, a kidney infection and a messed up nose.
What did I learn....some very good methods of gathering energy and the fact that there is always someone who is quicker, faster and more deadly, even if they don't look like it.

Don't get hit.
Use more than one technique.
Fight your own fight.
Never stop fighting.
The Princess stopped the competition after the youngest in the senior division were 20 years her junior.

Ben

Did Judo and Karate in Germany as a kid and teenager, then did something called Kantetzu Karate in Florida ( sort of a mix of Karate and Tae Kwon Do ) until my mid 40s when I stopped , got tired of injuries, it was a tough class at the time. Daughter did it also but decided to quit after she reached black belt.
I don't blame her, the sensei used to be a really tough guy that taught us to fight ( at the time he was a cop) but then he got married and became a teacher and got weird and the dojo changed a lot and became more geared towards kids.
I 'm a old lady now but could probably still defend myself if I had to, still occasionally do a kata

Latest posts

Back