Peanut Butter

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just 2? I have nearly 100! (I need to go to the discount grocer, again!)

I like the idea of the peanut butter powder. For anyone who has tried it ... did you like it? Does it taste/mix up like store-bought-peanut butter in-the-jar?

100 jars will be like gold , good barter power, when SHTF.

I been told by others on here, that mix it thick or thin with water and is as good as already made Jif.

Never have opened any of my storage powder yet.

Jim

This is a bit of a cross post. I just looked at the LDS food storage center list and they have 26 ounces of p.b. for $4.00. They also have honey. I have never seen either of these items before on their price list. I also have a fairly good base supply so don't go there very often now, so I have missed this. You can probably get a better deal on peanut butter if you watch sales.
https://providentliving.lds.org/self-reliance/home-storage-centers?lang=eng

Peanut butter is one of the items that is allotted a certain amount of shelf space. While I don't feel the need to store the current five year supply that I have it cost me nothing to fill up the row. Leaving the row partially empty is just wasted space and I don't have enough space as it is. I don't like to put items in front of other dissimilar items because stuff gets lost so I just fill up the row.

The stuff costs less yesterday than it will tomorrow so there is a fiscal benefit.

I tried to store PB and after 2 years it went rancid..YUCK...It was stored out of sunlight and in a temp controlled area.

I don't know what brand you had or what went wrong but I just opened a jar of Jif that I put on the shelf in Mar '13. That was the first of a two pack and I plan on eating the second one when this one is gone.

Mine was two cases of K-roger and since it was past the out date there was no return...Maybe I should have donated to Backlash so he could mix it in his paint so it would stick!!! Scuse me that was Buldit with the paint problems.

Last edited:
I am sure that some of mine is rancid. I don't want to open it, because then that might accelerate the rancidity. I just keep buying it, a couple jars here and a couple jars there. Isn't it amazing how quickly you can have a decent supply for SHTF? I don't each much of it though and that is the challenge now. I would eat it on toast or in a sandwich, but I am not eating bread and not eating jams and jellies. I am not eating sugar or carbs, so I am not making cookies.

I am sure that some of mine is rancid. I don't want to open it, because then that might accelerate the rancidity. I just keep buying it, a couple jars here and a couple jars there. Isn't it amazing how quickly you can have a decent supply for SHTF? I don't each much of it though and that is the challenge now. I would eat it on toast or in a sandwich, but I am not eating bread and not eating jams and jellies. I am not eating sugar or carbs, so I am not making cookies.

I've been putting PB on a stalk of celery for a snack.

I keep this in storage , also

fc69e869-3298-421f-816c-21dfe45766ce_1.9779fb6b23332c9f2b696cd1b965f96e.jpeg

Jim
Me Too. Got lots of it. Good protein source. I don't like Beans.

We are a peanut butter family by default. There are 2 kids under 15 in the house. I keep 2 jars in the pantry at all times. If I try to store more then the girls refuse to eat it and it just sits. I prefer almond butter. I also keep 2 jars of this but I am the only one eating those. The girls like almond butter BUT these are MY jars.
;)

So just curious, do you have some food stored for preparedness purposes? And if so, what do you store? I have lots of beans, of many varieties. I love beans, but am eating keto now, so no beans now.
Yes. I have a lot of Freeze Dried Stuff, mostly for mixing with Rice. My Bulk Preps are Rice, Oats, Wheat Berries, Sugars, Salts. I Garden all year. Most of Neighbors (A "Neighbor", here in the County, is someone that lives within 2 miles) have Chickens, Goats, Cattle, Horses, Rabbits. We Trade stuff. I have a Home Machine Shop, they like me. I also have a MAG. All the Members are within 4 Miles.
I have never liked Beans, my whole life. They make me Gagg.

I am not trying to take inventory, but do you stockpile food or anything else? I'd bet many or most of us here do. Just curious.
I'm afraid not. My wife and I have always moved quite a bit and it's not been feasible.

Mine was two cases of K-roger and since it was past the out date there was no return...Maybe I should have donated to Backlash so he could mix it in his paint so it would stick!!! Scuse me that was Buldit with the paint problems.
@buildit will appreciate any help!
smiley-stick.gif

Me Too. Got lots of it. Good protein source. I don't like Beans.
I love beans of any kind. I make a meal out of beans and cornbread!
img26.gif

Just don't follow to close behind me! Noxious fumes are emitted!

This is a bit of a cross post. I just looked at the LDS food storage center list and they have 26 ounces of p.b. for $4.00. They also have honey. I have never seen either of these items before on their price list. I also have a fairly good base supply so don't go there very often now, so I have missed this. You can probably get a better deal on peanut butter if you watch sales.
https://providentliving.lds.org/self-reliance/home-storage-centers?lang=eng

I guess you don't remember this one, but it was so famous they made a song about it.:D We did the Stroll and the Jitter bug to it.

The picture of the dog got me to remembering...

When my wife and I got married, she had a dog. He was a black lab, not too bright, and I never really figured out whether he served any purpose at all, but he was the family dog. We used to enjoy taking crackers and slathering them with copious amounts of peanut butter... on both sides... and watching this dog chomp on them. Pretty cheap entertainment!

:D

Latest posts

Back