Pears

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got to figure out what is getting my pears. I have 2 and one of them has had a lot pears on the last 2-3 years, but something has always gotten them. I have yet to east a single pear from it.

We need to take a soil test fro ours, they don't mature.

We love it, and like many things, it is a seasonal thing. The pear tree was sure good to us this year.

We really like pears but our tree needs to TLC.

My pear tree has fire blight. I have to keep trimming of dead branches. I need to do more research to save it.

We have never trimmed ours ,may be another thing that its needing. Everytiem we think about working on it something else here falls apart or we do. Poor pear tree is abandoned.

BP, the squirrels are cleaning you out I guarantee you! My trees were loaded and we thought it was coons. But, we got the coon and the rampage continued. We finally saw the squirrels. The just take one and nibble then toss it. If you see bits and pieces on the ground, get your shot gun out!! The will clean you out!!

Shot gun?:ghostly:You mean rifle don't you? I may be wrogn but a shot gun is powerful weapon for squirrel hunting.:D Turn that squirrel back into atoms with that thing.:D

Shot gun?:ghostly:You mean rifle don't you? I may be wrogn but a shot gun is powerful weapon for squirrel hunting.:D Turn that squirrel back into atoms with that thing.:D
No, I meant shot gun. Them little buggers will twirl around and around a branch so that you can’t get a clear shot. The shot gun does the scatter thing and it will get them best. Besides, my trees are very tall, maybe 40 or 50 ft high. Jim’s vision and aim are not so good anymore.

No, I meant shot gun. Them little buggers will twirl around and around a branch so that you can’t get a clear shot. The shot gun does the scatter thing and it will get them best. Besides, my trees are very tall, maybe 40 or 50 ft high. Jim’s vision and aim are not so good anymore.
My tree is a dwarf, not even 20 feet tall.

H! Ok now I get it. :p

BP, the squirrels are cleaning you out I guarantee you! My trees were loaded and we thought it was coons. But, we got the coon and the rampage continued. We finally saw the squirrels. The just take one and nibble then toss it. If you see bits and pieces on the ground, get your shot gun out!! The will clean you out!!

Well you may well be on to something. I do have a few squirrels. Coons too. But I have yet to find ANY scraps on the ground. No stems, no partially eaten. It is cleaned up. Whatever is getting them likes them as much as I do.

Well you may well be on to something. I do have a few squirrels. Coons too. But I have yet to find ANY scraps on the ground. No stems, no partially eaten. It is cleaned up. Whatever is getting them likes them as much as I do.
We have “disposed of” as many as 3 or 4 coons at a time in one tree. The squirrels cleaned my summer pears completely out this year of the best pears one could ever dream of . Coons don’t leave scraps but squirrels do.

Best use a rifle then Weedy or all you'll have left is the roots.:ghostly:
I am probably not going to use anything, because there doesn't seem to be a need this year. Someone a few blocks from me said they are seeing lots of dead squirrels in their alley and wondering what is happening. My guess is that someone is poisoning them. I did see a young squirrel today, but not on my property.

Pear radish : Cook pears with onions & pickle spice.
Peal & core pears, chop onion & bag spice in a flow though bag.
After cooking remove spice bag & grind up mix, put in canning jars.
That all I got,I would cook at the same heat that you would for fork tender pears halves.

Pear radish : Cook pears with onions & pickle spice.
Peal & core pears, chop onion & bag spice in a flow though bag.
After cooking remove spice bag & grind up mix, put in canning jars.
That all I got,I would cook at the same heat that you would for fork tender pears halves.
What an interesting mix! I would never have thought to cook pears and onions together. No sugar?

Someones Granmother gave me this mix, no sugar.
But you can make it your own.

Since it has rained so much here in past year I'm not sure that tree will make it now. But thanks fro product although we try to stay organic. I looked at the tree today and it is lookign rough. and it is the rain I think.:Thankyou::)
No problem. That INDAR is crazy expensive too. That's why we split it all up. If you ever decide you need some a few ounces last several years for most people. I bought a gallon and have enough left to sell just 3,4,5 ounces at a time. Just a thought. Good luck......

No problem. That INDAR is crazy expensive too. That's why we split it all up. If you ever decide you need some a few ounces last several years for most people. I bought a gallon and have enough left to sell just 3,4,5 ounces at a time. Just a thought. Good luck......

Note I said 'trying' to stay organic.:). For first time ever we bought 8 bags of potting soil at Dollar Store buy i get i free fall sale. And we used it on our fall container veggies. Never used it till this fall. :oops::)

Oh yeah..... I do too. But in the case of losing a tree I'll use what it takes. I lost an apple tree earlier this year to fireblight. It was gone in a few days. I'll be ready if it happens again. That's bad stuff. Weird too. It'll hit just a branch sometimes and sometimes devour a tree in a heartbeat. Best case scenario it's just a branch and you can trim it off . Weird stuff....

I have been thinking about INDAR. It can't be organic. I wonder if there is anything that can be used that is organic?

Latest posts

Back