Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These kinds of water jugs only last a year or two, but having them is better than having no water. I try to keep mine in a secondary container, like a bin or something, to catch any leaks. I am not sure what I would use for a secondary container here.
View attachment 33188

If you want to store water for drinking. and have a garage or outbuilding
find a couple of used water heaters.
set them off the ground about 12''

pipe your water line into the [cold side] first heater, out the bottom, up into the top of the [cold side]
next heater. out the hot side back into your house water line
you now have 80 gallons of stored water that will replenish itself /always be fresh.

only draw back with this system is if you sop te flow, the tanks can then grom nasty stuff inside
so never let them sit for long periods. with out treating the water with 2 tbls bleach into the vent. each heater

Attachments

• dw.png
    dw.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 72

pipe your water line into the [cold side] first heater, out the bottom, up into the top of the [cold side]
you now have 80 gallons of stored water that will replenish itself /always be fresh.

only draw back with this system is if you sop te flow, the tanks can then grom nasty stuff inside
so never let them sit for long periods. with out treating the water with 2 tbls bleach into the vent. each heater
I would be concerned about them rusting out eventually. Water heaters are expensive, but maybe this would be a way to have one or two or more in the cue for when your main one goes out.

I would be concerned about them rusting out eventually. Water heaters are expensive, but maybe this would be a way to have one or two or more in the cue for when your main one goes out.

talk to your local plumber, [that is what I am]
they remove the heaters and have to pay to dispose of them.
tell them you do not care about the burner or elements, you just want the tank

We have two 80 gal water heaters set in tandom this way. The first one in line isn't turned on and stays cold although it could be heated if we ever needed that much hot water. They are plumbed so they can both be used, one only or either/or if one craps out. The outdoor boiler can also heat the water during winter.

We have two water pumps also plumbed to bypass each other if one goes down.
One of the pumps has an electrical plug which can go straight to an external generator instead of the wall socket . The other is hardwired into the panel which in turn, is backed up by a whole house generator.

80 gallons of water... two people for 40 days if properly rationed. It takes 730 gallons for a year for two people as long as you only use 1 gallon a day each. I am glad that I have a stream to use for bathing (pulling the water out of the stream so as not to ruin it for those down stream) and a well for drinking/cooking water. Yes, I can use the well water for bathing but if the power was out the water is drawn with a "dipper" and a cord. The dipper holds about 3 quarts. That's a lot of work for a bath - after all that work you will need a good bath!

If you live in an arid climate you might need up to four times as much water.

Yep, that would do it alright.

Like Will Smith said in MIB, "I make this look good!"

Finally, after several years of searching I found the perfect tincture case. For years I’ve needed a case for when I travel, hard plastic with a latch. The problem has always been finding a small container that will accommodate 4oz bottles w/medicine droppers. Two, finding one with just enough space to carry all that I would need for 3 to 4 weeks away from home.

I’ve purchased a dozen containers over the years only to find they didn’t work for one reason or another when I got them home.

This doesn’t look like much, just a cheap kid’s tackle box from a sporting goods store but it’s everything I need. Believe it or not with the tincture bottles in pic2 I can treat a host of medical conditions, even serious problems. It is my go-to first aid kit. Too name just a few… snake bites from pit vipers or anything with hemotoxic venom, broken bones, serious wounds, a host of drug resistant bacteria… It also contains the best the herbal world has to offer for any respiratory condition, virus or bacterial infection currently floating around the world. And plus… it contains what’s needed to treat all my current medical needs.

I need a second container and will purchase it as soon as I get back to the big town. They come in different colors which will make it easy to grab the correct kit out of a backpack on the fly. Another kit will stretch the supplies to 3 months and add just a little more versatility.

I have thin foam strips and tiny bubble wrap which I’ll glue in a couple of spots… I’m a happy camper! :)

tincture 1 sm.JPG
tincture 2 sm.JPG

My 3 beautiful granddaughters , after a full day of shopping with my wife.
That's quite the haul of merchandise! How is the bank account doing?

I don't want to mention kids names on the internet, but "the one in the middle" is the one who went with us on our little road trip, with that lunch of bluegill, right? Talk about growing up! It's only been a few years, but holy moly, a bonafide young adult now!

I have a couple of cases from Harbor Freight that might work for you.

I have a few like it... the orientation is wrong, those are designed so contents lay horizontally, they aren't deep enough for contents to stack vertically. They also rely on the foam in the lid to help secure contents, not practical for a bunch of small bottles. Thanks though... :)

That's quite the haul of merchandise! How is the bank account doing?

I don't want to mention kids names on the internet, but "the one in the middle" is the one who went with us on our little road trip, with that lunch of bluegill, right? Talk about growing up! It's only been a few years, but holy moly, a bonafide young adult now!

The bank account takes a big hit Everytime granny takes the girls shopping.... that's ok.
Yep , that's my Katie...all grown up now , 14 years old.
The kids, at least the girls, seem to grow up much faster these days than when we were that age.:dunno:

Jim

The bank account takes a big hit Everytime granny takes the girls shopping.... that's ok.
Yep , that's my Katie...all grown up now , 14 years old.
The kids, at least the girls, seem to grow up much faster these days than when we were that age.:dunno:

Jim

You look like you could use this advice, lol

985F102F-4CC2-4239-ACF3-DFA615D556E9_jpeg.jpg

View attachment 33538
My 3 beautiful granddaughters , after a full day of shopping with my wife.

Jim
My wife and I took our Granddaughter to a mall once. She actually went into the stores to look and buy. I just walk through the place and stop at the food court. Girls, there is no understanding them.:D

Latest posts

Back