Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably a reason I put my solar panels on ground level instead of the roof of my three story building:

IMG_4328.jpeg

The Princess took a photo to record us covered with concrete after finishing the concrete walls

View attachment 52606

He is the taller. I am the elder.

Ben

You look like I feel... up until 6am mopping and pumping water. Up at 10 mitigating flood damage. I'm beat...

The Princess took a photo to record us covered with concrete after finishing the concrete walls

View attachment 52606
vy

Ben
That reminds me of why I joined the Navy. I did not want to finish cement for the rest of my life. All my family finished cement for a living so I knew what I had to look forward to.

That reminds me of why I joined the Navy. I did not want to finish cement for the rest of my life. All my family finished cement for a living so I knew what I had to look forward to.
Like Merlin, I am living my life backwards. I retired so that I can look forward to dig and do concrete.

dancing chicken
Ben

Like Merlin, I am living my life backwards. I retired so that I can look forward to dig and do concrete.

dancing chicken
Ben
Is that.... a pocket protector :oops:?
I thought those were extinct!
I want one!!!:cry:

Is that.... a pocket protector :oops:?
I thought those were extinct!
I want one!!!:cry:

See here

I have a life-time supply of them including a "dress pocket protector" for special events.

American Science and Surplus will fix you up. Get on their mailing list. Their catalog is a good read. Every April they include a sham product but it is up to you to find it.

Ben

Castelifollit de La Roca, Spain

attachment.php

No way! Past taking it to the limit,:oops:.What if you are a sleep walker or suddenly became one, o_OI'd be sleeping in a parashoot.
I already dove out window of a 2 story house,thank goodness for front porches to break the fall and youth to recover.Hubby use to grab me if I got up at night.I have been known to wake up over a mile from the house.No flimsey nightwear for me neve know where I'll be, een there done that too.

That pic shows how stupid people have been for many years.
I believe the practice of building this type of place in Europe was for defensive posturing. If you can pinch an attacking force where they're funneled into a narrow area, it takes a lot less manpower to fight an otherwise overwhelming force.

Think of the battle of Thermopylae where 1000 Greek soldiers held off over 100,000 Persian invaders (until they got betrayed then flanked wiping them out).

I believe the practice of building this type of place in Europe was for defensive posturing. If you can pinch an attacking force where they're funneled into a narrow area, it takes a lot less manpower to fight an otherwise overwhelming force.

Think of the battle of Thermopylae where 1000 Greek soldiers held off over 100,000 Persian invaders (until they got betrayed then flanked wiping them out).
The invading force could just wait them out. The defenders would only have stored water and food and no way to resupply.

History has taught us over and over that no fortification is invulnerable.
It has also taught us that a small mobile force can topple a stronger more well equipped force.

I love the fact there is a cotton field in the middle of my home town. Directions are easy! The high school? Go 3 blocks past the cotton field and turn right... The post office? If you see the cotton field you've gone to far, turn around and come back 4 blocks then turn left.

cotton 06 c (1) sm.JPG
cotton 06 c (2) sm.JPG

I got pics of these when I was down there only they were wrapped in white. I told my grand kids they were giant marshmallows. :cool:

1604786996910.jpeg

Put that picture on Facebook, and half the people there would be complimenting you on how well you trained your cotton to grow like that - in those handy bundles.

It is actually quite impressive that we have machines that can make nice clean bundles out in the field. Kudos to the folks who engineered that.

As a little kid I remember getting off the school bus and picking cotton by hand until dark. I was about 10 or 12 when my grandfather bought a one row cotton picker, an incredible thing. Before one man with a house full of kids could grow 20 acres of cotton. With a picker one man could grow 100 acres of cotton with only 2 or 3 kids to help.

Technology has come a long way. As a teenager I worked at a cotton gin. Farmers would bring in large wagons of loose cotton, it was "ginned", cleaned, de-seeded and pressed into bales. Now these large rolls can be sold in the field. A company (the buyer) will come and load them onto trucks and haul them hundreds of miles to a ginning facility.

Latest posts

Back